PDA

View Full Version : Newark Finds A King

NetShrine.com
04-28-01, 07:30 PM
Newark Bears add World Series hero Leyritz to star-studded roster

By WAYNE PARRY
.c The Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Jim Leyritz is the latest ex-major leaguer on the Newark Bears.

He signed with the independent minor-league team on Saturday, joining Jose Canseco, Lance Johnson and pitchers Jaime Navarro and Jack Armstrong.

``Jim will bring an added element of gamesmanship to our team,'' said Bears owner Rick Cerone, himself a former catcher for the Yankees. ``He gives it everything he's got every time he's out on the field, and that's something you can't teach to younger players.''

Leyritz, a career .264 hitter, was known in his major league career as a clutch player with a knack for dramatic postseason home runs.

His most famous came in the pivotal Game 4 of the 1996 World Series off Atlanta Braves closer Mark Wohlers that tied the score in a game the Yanks would go on to win, evening the series at 2 games apiece. New York won the next two to capture its first world championship since 1978.

He also hit a game-winning home run in the 15th inning of Game 2 of the 1995 division series against Seattle. In 1998, Leyritz hit three homers for San Diego against Houston in the division series.

Leyritz, 37, also hit major league baseball's last home run of the 20th century when he connected in Game 4 of the 1999 World Series against the Braves in a second tour of duty with the Yankees.

He'll see action at first and third for the independent Atlantic League team, as well as behind the plate Leyritz went to spring training with the New York Mets this year following off-season surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder. He was released in March.

In an 11-year major league career, Leyritz played in 903 games, with 667 hits, 90 homers and 387 RBI.

AP-NY-04-28-01 1534EDT

Ct.Fan
04-28-01, 08:12 PM
The Bears will be a fun team to watch. Looking forward to checking them out in Bridgeport, CT. against the Bluefish.

rock
04-28-01, 08:13 PM
Wow, how does Rick Cerone find all these guys?

NetShrine.com
04-28-01, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by rock
Wow, how does Rick Cerone find all these guys?

Hanging out @ the unemployment office.

Jim F.
04-28-01, 11:48 PM
I can't believe I didn't read this before!

All I can say is "Awesome!"

The Spanish Pavilion should be rocking after games :D

-jim

Nome
04-29-01, 02:56 PM
The Newark Bears have a beautiful new stadium but unfortunately are not drawing fans.

Rick Cerone our beloved former Yankee catcher, as the owner of the Bears is trying everything he can to generate fan interest. He has the Canseco Twins, the King and a considerable number of other former ML stars.

The Atlantic Independant League starts it's season Friday night. As a three year season ticket holder of the Somerset Patriots team of that league I look forward to the team parade on Wed night in downtown Somerville, a season ticket holder bar-b-que and a meet the team at the park on Thursday and the first game on Friday. Unfortunately, I will miss the games on Sat and Sun (my son and his wife and our two grandkids will go in our place ) to spend the weekend in Balt seeing the Sunday Yankee game.

Go Patriots!!

CarolR
04-29-01, 08:20 PM
How can anyone fit this in their schedule now??? I have all I can do to keep up here!!!!!!!