PDA

View Full Version : Lennox Lewis KO'd

CJM
04-22-01, 05:48 AM
I fell asleep during the preliminary bout,I am pissed!

I cannot stand Lennox Lewis,I would loooove to have seen him get knocked out.

Anyone who refers to themselves in the third person should beaten senseless.

#1PaFan
04-22-01, 07:44 AM
#1PaFan saw the fight. ;)

It looked like Lewis thought he would win just by showing up. He got NAILED with a right to the jaw and went down hard.
It's good the fight wasn't in Vegas--they probably would have called it a draw.

#1PaFan
04-22-01, 09:16 AM
K.O.'d

CJM
04-22-01, 09:18 AM
I'm gonna use that picture as wallpaper.

CJM has to use whatever wallpaper makes CJM comfortable.

I hope your ears ring for a month Lennox.

#1PaFan
04-22-01, 10:28 AM
Here's another good one, CJM...

Eddie160
04-22-01, 06:03 PM
hell yeah I'm glad Lewis got his ass beat I never did like him

Slippery Elm
04-22-01, 11:18 PM
The problem is boxing has been so screwed up and corrupt for so many years hardly anyone cares anymore.

Don King belongs in prison. He should have been executed many years ago: he BEAT two men to death, but only did time for Manslaughter.

Luvtino
04-22-01, 11:28 PM
Imagine Lennox and Rickey having a conversation. :lol:

Ansky39
04-23-01, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I fell asleep during the preliminary bout,I am pissed!

I cannot stand Lennox Lewis,I would loooove to have seen him get knocked out.

Anyone who refers to themselves in the third person should beaten senseless.

i turned it off, and i'm pissed i missed it too, but hahahahaha, i'm laughing my ass of at this dumbass, from jamaica, or england or canada or whereever the hell he's from this week... he's the weakest heavyweight champ EVER in my book... he's just benefitted from an extrememly weak division at this time and the premature decline of tyson and holyfields age....

he's whack, he deserved to get knocked on his ass...

Up-State
04-23-01, 11:58 AM
I'm pissed i missed the fight too. We don't have HBO, but only showtime. Lewis was the heavist of his career for that fight. Looks like Lewis was looking forward to a Tyson fight. Not anymore...:lol:

Mean Linguine
04-23-01, 09:08 PM
That third person thing is a little annoying, to be sure, but Lewis has carried himself pretty well, as far as I can tell. He trains in the Poconos, where I live, and I never heard of any problems with him. A guy at my gym is his chiropractor and says he is a decent guy.

He will go down as a good but not great heavy.

The Greats -- Louis, Ali, Holmes, Dempsey, Marciano, Jack Johnson, Foreman, Frazier, Holyfield, Liston, Tunney.

Ansky39
04-24-01, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Mean Linguine
The Greats -- Louis, Ali, Holmes, Dempsey, Marciano, Jack Johnson, Foreman, Frazier, Holyfield, Liston, Tunney.

bite your tongue!!! ever heard of a not so "decent" yet

GREAT former and soon to be once again crowned heavyweight champion of the world from brooklyn named tyson????

you actually list great heavyweight champs and include holmes and NOT tyson???? blasphemy i tell ya, BLASPHEMY!!!!! ;)

Jen!!!
04-24-01, 08:17 AM
Ansky's right, Tyson will take the title from Rahman and then we'll finally see Lewis become the undisputed world champ when he takes the title back from Tyson. Simple as that. ;)

Mean Linguine
04-24-01, 10:12 AM
C'mon, Ansky. You know baseball, but Tyson is no all-time great. He was brilliant early on, especially when he fought Spinks and Holmes (albeit a 38-year-old Holmes). But an all-time great gets off the deck and comes back to win. Tyson goes down and never gets back up (see Douglas, see Holyfield). Until he does that, he is out of the Top Ten. Holmes was champ 7 1/2 years and made 20 title defenses, second longest reign behind Joe Louis. Holmes went down from a shot by Earnie Shavers, considered the hardest puncher of his era, and got back up anbd dominated the rest of the round.

Ansky39
04-24-01, 11:35 AM
i gotta disagree w/ you on this... this i KNOW... if tyson faces in holmes both in their primes, holmes doesn't last 2 rounds... who did holmes fight... holmes ois like lenox no chin lewis... they both benefitted from a lull in the div... tyson came in wrecked havoc never going beyond 2-3 rounds, (well i won't say never, cuz i'm no boxing statistician, but it seemed like never)... he wrecked spinks, the same guy who ended holmes career... holmes the "great" heavyweight champ had to be the first heavyweight "champ" in history to lose to a LIGHT heavyweight.... tyson's tenure though brief, was hiustoric the way he demolished all comers... he had grown men who claim to be heavyweights, scared to death to face him.... the only thing that stopped tyson from being even greater was that trumped up bs golddigger and his lame ass lawyer who put him in jail... that crippled his career... he came back a shell of himself... but even as a shell, he still destroyed opponents in record time except for holyfield... had he faced holyfield before his arrest, it wouldda been no contest... he may not have the amount defenses as some others, but in his time he wrecked havoc like no one in history... no way was holmes a better fghter ever than tyson... tyson wouldda mauled him in 2 rounds MAX!!!!!

CJM
04-24-01, 11:52 AM
Larry Holmes may not have beaten Tyson,but no way Tyson KO's Holmes in 2 rounds.

Mike Tyson's legend was built on fighting nobody fighters who were scared to death of him.The fighters who have fought Tyson who weren't shaking in their boots,knocked him out.He was a very limited fighter who got by on raw power and intimidation.

I just wish Tyson would have fought Holyfield 10 times so I could have watched Tyson be knocked out 10 times.

Ansky39
04-24-01, 12:02 PM
trevor berbick

james bonecrusher smith

biggs,

holmes,

spinks,

razor ruddock, twice

golota,

i know, it ain't frazir, ali shavers foremen, but he took on anyone who dared enter the ring and his opponents are certainly better qulity than holmes who bored, er jabbed nonames to death for it seems like yaaaaaawwwnnnn 20 someodd years...

there's a reason these grown men were scared to death of him, as was holyfield before the jail time... he DESTROYED anyone in is path... his reputation grew based on his performances... it wasn't a fabrication... it wasn't a legend... this guy was the most powerful terrorizing presence in the ring until the conviction... razor rudduck was known as one of the hardest punchers in boxing UNTIL he got dropped by tyson... they didn't call bonecrusher smith bonecrusher for nuthing...

i know alotta people got their feelings about tyson, the guy is a nut, but this profession is not for good guys... he was a terror inside and out the ring, and no way he doesn't belong in the a list bof greatest champs of all time.... the real debate is he top 3 or top 5 of all time....

CJM
04-24-01, 12:04 PM
Ansky,do you place Tyson all time ahead of Holyfield?

CJM
04-24-01, 12:11 PM
I don't buy the argument that if not for his jail time,Tyson would have kept wreaking havoc on the heavyweight division.....Ali was out of the game longer I think,he came back and solidified his legend....personally,I think Holyfield knocks him out no matter when they fight,be it before or after....

Ansky39
04-24-01, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ansky,do you place Tyson all time ahead of Holyfield?

i wouldn't even include holyfield in a discussion of alltime great heavyweight champs... just my "humble" ;) opinion...

Ansky39
04-24-01, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I don't buy the argument that if not for his jail time,Tyson would have kept wreaking havoc on the heavyweight division.....Ali was out of the game longer I think,he came back and solidified his legend....personally,I think Holyfield knocks him out no matter when they fight,be it before or after....

imagine being locked in a cell for 3 years...

ali was a free man... free to train, to run, to workout, to stay in shape... at the most, tyson had access to some weights in jail... holyfield, was a good boxer, not great... the punishment bowe levelled on holyfiled is nothing compared to what tyson wouldda done... although holyfield is one of the most courageous fighters in my time, he wouldda been in over his head had he decided to fight tyson prior to his conviction... he wouldda been another statistic... another tyson ko victim.

CJM
04-24-01, 12:46 PM
I disagree...Tyson had zero boxing skills...powre and quick hands,thats it....Bowe laid all that punishment on Holyfield because he was an extremely big man...Tyson is a smallish heavyweight....Holyfield would have knocked him out anytime they fought.

Jen!!!
04-24-01, 12:52 PM
Bowe beat Holyfield because he's the better boxer, period. Size sometimes is a hinderance, not an advantage. Bowe even said he has less of an edge with "smaller" guys. Holyfield's ok, but would not have beat Tyson. No way, no how. But I still believe Lewis can come back and beat Tyson. It might be the long-shot bet, but he's got the determination. Unfortunately we didn't see it last Saturday.
Tyson vs. Lewis is a whole new ballgame. It's like the World Series of boxing.

Ansky39
04-24-01, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I disagree...Tyson had zero boxing skills...powre and quick hands,thats it....Bowe laid all that punishment on Holyfield because he was an extremely big man...Tyson is a smallish heavyweight....Holyfield would have knocked him out anytime they fought.

power and quick hand is all he needed when you're talking about one of the most powerful and quickest heavyweight champs ever... holyfield wouldda been ducking for his life...

Ansky39
04-24-01, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Jen!!!
But I still believe Lewis can come back and beat Tyson. It might be the long-shot bet, but he's got the determination.

i don't doubt that lennox has the ability to handle tyson at this stage of tyson's career... but i won't bet on it cause all tyson has to do is land one or two haymakers to that shiny crystal glass chin of his... if i'm gambling, and i usually do on big fights, i'm throwing my dough on tyson, who'll likely be an underdog even if he captures the belt first...

CJM
04-24-01, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Jen!!!
Bowe beat Holyfield because he's the better boxer, period. Size sometimes is a hinderance, not an advantage. Bowe even said he has less of an edge with "smaller" guys. Holyfield's ok, but would not have beat Tyson. No way, no how. But I still believe Lewis can come back and beat Tyson. It might be the long-shot bet, but he's got the determination. Unfortunately we didn't see it last Saturday.
Tyson vs. Lewis is a whole new ballgame. It's like the World Series of boxing.

Size has a lot to do with things.If Lennox Lewis wasn't as big as he is,do you think he beats even the old Holyfield that he fought.Hell no.

Riddick Bowe could have been a great fighter,he had the skills,but to say he was a better fighter than Evander Holyfield?No way.There is a big intangible often overlooked in boxing,it's called balls.

Jen!!!
04-24-01, 01:16 PM
Riddick Bowe was a great fighter. He was better than Holyfield in his own right. Lots of people are better than Holyfield. He's a lot of hype. Lewis beat Holyfield on skill, not because he was bigger. Tyson also beats his opponents on skill, and not because he's smaller and moves a bit quicker.

One cannot overlook the amount or size of balls in boxing. They all have them or they wouldn't even cross the ropes. That's a given.

Mean Linguine
04-24-01, 01:45 PM
Alright a39,

No way we're going to agree on this one. But boxing guys smarter than us (an Associated Press panel that included managers, trainers, boxers and writers) picked Larry tied for 5th with Jack Johnson for greatest heavyweight of the 20th century, behind -- and I forget the order -- Ali, Louis, Dempsey and Marciano. Even if you don't agree with that, you have to at least give the guy his due. You can't say all his opponents were bad. He beat Norton, Ali, Cooney, Witherspoon, Shavers twice, Mercer, Leon Spinks, Marvis Frazier, Berbick, Truth Williams. He was screwed on both Michael Spinks fights, lost by a couple of points to Holyfield when he was in his 40s, lost to McCall by one point when he was in his 40s. Tyson is the only guy who beat him up, and Larry was 38 and coming off a three-year layoff against a guy in his prime.
I'm not downgrading your guy. I just said that when Tyson shows he can get off the deck to win, I'll rank him as a great, too.
Regardless, they're both future first-ballot Hall of Famers. It's like arguing who is better between Mike Schmidt and Brooks Robinson. Depends on your taste.

CJM
04-24-01, 01:45 PM
How much balls did Spinx have when he crossed the ropes to fight Tyson?

I respect you opinion but if you ask 100 boxing writers who was better,Holyfield or Bowe,99 of them are gonna say Holyfield.

Evander Holyfield goes down in history.Bowe is a footnote.

Mean Linguine
04-24-01, 01:53 PM
Should be no question about Holyfield. He fought everyone, showed heart, won titles in different weight classes. Very good champion, no matter hwo you look at it.

Ansky39
04-24-01, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Mean Linguine
Alright a39,

No way we're going to agree on this one. But boxing guys smarter than us (an Associated Press panel that included managers, trainers, boxers and writers) picked Larry tied for 5th with Jack Johnson for greatest heavyweight of the 20th century, behind -- and I forget the order -- Ali, Louis, Dempsey and Marciano. Even if you don't agree with that, you have to at least give the guy his due. You can't say all his opponents were bad. He beat Norton, Ali, Cooney, Witherspoon, Shavers twice, Mercer, Leon Spinks, Marvis Frazier, Berbick, Truth Williams. He was screwed on both Michael Spinks fights, lost by a couple of points to Holyfield when he was in his 40s, lost to McCall by one point when he was in his 40s. Tyson is the only guy who beat him up, and Larry was 38 and coming off a three-year layoff against a guy in his prime.
I'm not downgrading your guy. I just said that when Tyson shows he can get off the deck to win, I'll rank him as a great, too.
Regardless, they're both future first-ballot Hall of Famers. It's like arguing who is better between Mike Schmidt and Brooks Robinson. Depends on your taste.

one thing and no offense here, but i very rarely if ever defer to the media on anything whether it's sports or politics....

but i will say YOU, not ap make a solid case for your guy, and ok, yeah, he's definitely up there, even though yaaawnnn.. he wasn't the most exciting champ... just one lil footnote... norton ali and shavers were waaay past their primes as i recall and i don't know if you wanna compare what tyson did to marvis w/ holmes performance....

but in the end, your right it does just depend on your taste... fyi, schmidt was definitely better than robinson ;)