PDA

View Full Version : NYYFAN FFL 2005 rule changes

NYYFAN
11-23-04, 12:56 PM
Thought I'd start a list for Jason our commish for next season...

Besides removing bad owners...:D

Change the yards for RB's to 15 and WR to 20...

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN
Thought I'd start a list for Jason our commish for next season...

Besides removing bad owners...:D

Change the yards for RB's to 15 and WR to 20...

I'd say 10 per point for both. 20 per point for QBs. But, of course, removing the deadbeat Owners is the most important thing.

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 01:04 PM
One more thing: we should move to another site, preferably Sportsline. Jason would have more power there, perhaps replacing deadbeat owners. Having folks pay an entrance might be enough to keep their interest too. :)

NYYFAN
11-23-04, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by #1PaFan
One more thing: we should move to another site, preferably Sportsline. Jason would have more power there, perhaps replacing deadbeat owners. Having folks pay an entrance might be enough to keep their interest too. :)

It would be nice if we could change this to a money league...but not too high to scare anyone...

I still think there should be a difference between yards for RB's vs WR...
A 15 yard run is much more difficult than a 15 yard reception...

I'd also like to see points for length of TD runs or catchs if possible...

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 01:41 PM

I'd also like to see points for length of TD runs or catchs if possible...

Absolutely!! Length of FGs too. Definately adds a lot to FF. In my main league, our cutoffs for rushing TDs are at 20 & 40 yards. For receiving, 20 & 50. Rushing TDs are 10, 15 & 20. Receiving & passing TDs are 5, 10 & 15.

I'd really push for Sportsline. We could probably get divisions there. I'd love to have a 12 team league with 3 divisions of 4 teams each. In a 14 week schedule, it works out perfectly with 2 games versus each division opponent and 1 versus every other team.

In my main league,Week 16 is our Super Bowl & we use Week 17 as our "Pro Bowl." Highest scoring team of that week gets the money pot, usually $60.

It's a long way off though. :smokin: :gulp:

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 01:47 PM
Thanks Mark.

Of course, removing deadbeat owners will be the number 1 priority. It will be done. I already have a tally of strikes going.

We will have to work out the RB/WR points system by way of vote during the offseason. My opinion is that dropping them to 10 each will make the RBs and WRs too valuable. I like the system currently, and the balance between Offense and D. 15 and 20 sounds like the best bet, at least to me.

Speaking of the balance between O and D, I was thinking about slightly upping the D points for next year, just to make them a tad more valuable. Something like 4 for a sack, 1.25 for a tackle, 4 for a pick, etc. Not sure if it's the best idea, just something I want to throw out there and get an opinion on.

As for a new league host, that'd be great, I just hope the cost doesn't scare away owners.

Mark, you mentioned with length or TD runs/catches- for that we would have to get a new host for the league, and even then, I don't know if it would be a scoring option. It's certainly not in Yahoo.

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 01:48 PM
I'd really push for Sportsline. We could probably get divisions there. I'd love to have a 12 team league with 3 divisions of 4 teams each. In a 14 week schedule, it works out perfectly with 2 games versus each division opponent and 1 versus every other team.

I used to always play Sportsline until they started charging. Great leagues they run there, and as you said, the divisions would ROCK.

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by PinstripePride
Thanks Mark.

Of course, removing deadbeat owners will be the number 1 priority. It will be done. I already have a tally of strikes going.

We will have to work out the RB/WR points system by way of vote during the offseason. My opinion is that dropping them to 10 each will make the RBs and WRs too valuable. I like the system currently, and the balance between Offense and D. 15 and 20 sounds like the best bet, at least to me.

Speaking of the balance between O and D, I was thinking about slightly upping the D points for next year, just to make them a tad more valuable. Something like 4 for a sack, 1.25 for a tackle, 4 for a pick, etc. Not sure if it's the best idea, just something I want to throw out there and get an opinion on.

As for a new league host, that'd be great, I just hope the cost doesn't scare away owners.

Mark, you mentioned with length or TD runs/catches- for that we would have to get a new host for the league, and even then, I don't know if it would be a scoring option. It's certainly not in Yahoo.

Jason, here's the scoring rules for my main league. These tend to really balance things out. Just scroll down to Scoring.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cbruce38/guidelines.htm

I think it should be 10 yards per pt for both RBs & Receivers only because the RBs tend to touch the ball a helluva lot more than the receivers. Plus, the scores are a lot easier to calculate.

Well, no matter what, this is a fun league even with the Deadbeats.

NYYFAN
11-23-04, 02:03 PM
Thanks Mark.

I believe George knows of a site that will let us use length for TDs...

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 02:04 PM
I notice your league does keepers, George. Is this something we want to consider?

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 02:05 PM

I believe George knows of a site that will let us use length for TDs...

Score. No pun intended. :lol:

NYYFAN
11-23-04, 02:05 PM

Absolutely!! Length of FGs too. Definately adds a lot to FF. In my main league, our cutoffs for rushing TDs are at 20 & 40 yards. For receiving, 20 & 50. Rushing TDs are 10, 15 & 20. Receiving & passing TDs are 5, 10 & 15.

In my main league,Week 16 is our Super Bowl & we use Week 17 as our "Pro Bowl." Highest scoring team of that week gets the money pot, usually $60.

It's a long way off though. :smokin: :gulp:

I like the division idea and the whole concept you just mentioned. 12 teams is a nice number. We can load up with die hard managers. We have a decent group to start...

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 02:12 PM
I notice your league does keepers, George. Is this something we want to consider?

The fairest way would be to do it after the next draft, I think. The thing I LOVE about it is that it gives each team an identity. We've been doing this for years and it's really, really cool. If we were to start it before the next draft, we should just take 1 or 2 players.

Easily, the worst thing my franchise ever did was select Ryan effing Leaf, thanks to my effing Bro. Peyton Manning was selected next. My buddy with Peyton won back-to-back Super Bowls with him.

We also put several players on a Trade List which adds an amazing lot of interest during the early summer. Ricky Williams REALLY screwed things up for one team, just like what happened to the Dolphins. :lol:

It took a long time of weeding out the deadbeats but we have a bunch of great owners now. It would be awesome if we can get this league to that level.

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 02:16 PM
The fairest way would be to do it after the next draft, I think.
Definately, no way we could do it at the end of this year.

The thing I LOVE about it is that it gives each team an identity. We've been doing this for years and it's really, really cool. If we were to start it before the next draft, we should just take 1 or 2 players.
Sounds cool. Maybe a vote for this too. How exaclty is it checked though? Like during the draft, how do you guys make sure each team gets their keepers?

Peyton Manning was selected next. My buddy with Peyton won back-to-back Super Bowls with him.
Ouch! Leaf over Manning, LOL! :lol: Hindsight is 20-20, I guess!

It would be awesome if we can get this league to that level.
We will! :gulp: :smokin:

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 02:22 PM

Sounds cool. Maybe a vote for this too. How exaclty is it checked though? Like during the draft, how do you guys make sure each team gets their keepers?

Well, it's a helluva lot easier since we all meet personally for our draft. We have lists and we use a program, FFLM where the Commish just removes the Keepers. Every owner gets a league cheat sheet with the highest ranked available players along with Rookies.
We have a HUGE Roster too so Rookies can be extremely valuable.

The Keepers are never on the draft board. I doubt any online draft could go as easily as ours, though. :(

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 02:26 PM
That's what I was afraid of. People forgetting, drafting someone elses keeper, etc. That may be the major obstacle which prevents us from doing keepers.

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 02:32 PM
Damn, I'm starting to sound as Anal as the folks I criticized on the Baseball League forum! LMFAO!!!! :lol:

During Playoff weeks 15 & 16, while the 3 Division Winners & Wild Card team battle it out for the Super Bowl the other teams are involved too.

The #5 thru #8 seeded teams play for the final two money awards and higher draft picks for the next year.

The #9 thru #12 seeded teams have a two game playoff for the next years top draft picks.

This way, everybody has some interest during our playoff weeks.

The only thing we haven't figured out is how to make the season last longer! :)

Of course, we also have a Playoff draft at the end of the regular season. A bunch of us draft a team of the NFL teams that make the playoffs. We select a starting lineup, based on our rules, and once a player's team is knocked out of the playoffs you lose him obviously. We all throw in like $10 or $20 and winner takes all. Adds a little more excitement to the postseason. :smokin: :gulp:

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 02:39 PM
Great idea with keeping teams busy during the playoffs. That's another BIG plus to moving away from Yahoo, being able to set draft pick order, instead of the automatic random order that you have to do with Yahoo.

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 02:47 PM
Great idea with keeping teams busy during the playoffs. That's another BIG plus to moving away from Yahoo, being able to set draft pick order, instead of the automatic random order that you have to do with Yahoo.

Absolutely! Knowing the draft order can add some intrigue to the draft too. AND, it makes the Real NFL Draft an event too. (It already is for some of us)

The season just goes too damn fast.

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 03:47 PM
I agree. Our league has two more weeks, and then the playoffs.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
11-23-04, 04:33 PM

Like you, I used to use sportsline...before they started charging. I paid $15 to stay on with them last year, but it wasn't worth it. Anything more than $20 I wouldn't pay.

As for upping the emphasis on D... I did that in the league I'm commissioning, and, albeit I decided to use team D there because I didn't feel like looking after individual defensive dudes in two leagues since it was my first time managing individuals, and... well, a LOT of people took D in the first round then sat on their laurels and had a REAL crappy rest of the draft thinking they could get away with it. And, to a large extent, they have. If you up the D points TOO much, it won't be a good idea, but I am in favor of making D slightly more valuable relative to offense.

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 04:40 PM
What do they charge for a league these days? I realize we have some students in our league and I wouldn't want it to be too expensive.

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 04:40 PM
I see what you're saying about that Nat, but I think the problem you had was having one unit, a team D, count for so much. In our case it would be 7 guys on the D, so no one could draft one guy and sit back for the rest of the draft and still be set.

What are your thoughts on the other couple of issues? Keepers? WR/RB points?

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 04:46 PM
What do they charge for a league these days? I realize we have some students in our league and I wouldn't want it to be too expensive.

Yea, I'm with Nat on the cost. it can't be more than $20. I'm scraping pennies to pay car insurance. :uhh:

It seems like the Sportsline Fantasy Football commissioner league would cost $150.00 for the season. If we get 12 teams, that works out to only $12.50 a team. 10 teams, and we're at $15 per.

However, with that, there is no league prize. In order to get a league prize, we'd have to sign up for the Gold edition, which costs $40.00 a team. That's out of the question for most of us.

So we're looking at $12.50 each for a 12 team league at Sportsline with no prize.

#1PaFan
11-23-04, 05:16 PM

Yea, I'm with Nat on the cost. it can't be more than $20. I'm scraping pennies to pay car insurance. :uhh:

It seems like the Sportsline Fantasy Football commissioner league would cost $150.00 for the season. If we get 12 teams, that works out to only $12.50 a team. 10 teams, and we're at $15 per.

However, with that, there is no league prize. In order to get a league prize, we'd have to sign up for the Gold edition, which costs $40.00 a team. That's out of the question for most of us.

So we're looking at $12.50 each for a 12 team league at Sportsline with no prize.

Yeah, the Gold edition is out of the question, in my humble drunken opinion. However, if we opt for the the other option, I have a feeling a prize will be offered. :gulp:

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 05:33 PM
Not again, man. This shouldn't be all on you. We'll figure something out.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
11-23-04, 05:43 PM

Yeah, the Gold edition is out of the question, in my humble drunken opinion. However, if we opt for the the other option, I have a feeling a prize will be offered. :gulp:

Well, if i MUST I'll shell out 40. I just don't like the idea of spending my few and far between dollars like I did last year, only to watch my team get injured all kinds and completely tank it.

Keepers... I've got no real opinion. I've never done it before and am not sure how it all works, but I'm up to trying it.

I think RB yards should be 15 yards/point at the most, especially if QB points are going to be 20 yards/point. I'm used to 10/10/25-30 for RB/WR/QB from past experiences, and I think it's very fair for rushing yards to be worth that much and am not opposed to maintenance of the traditional value of stud RBs. But if you're going to switch it up, I'd probably go with 10/15/20-25. It's hard to gain rushing yards, and points should reflect that.

Your idea of changing D points... I don't think picks and sacks should be worth 66% as much as a TD. 3 points each max, I'd say (I don't remember if that's what we're already using or not).

PinstripePride
11-23-04, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
Your idea of changing D points... I don't think picks and sacks should be worth 66% as much as a TD. 3 points each max, I'd say (I don't remember if that's what we're already using or not).

Yea, those numbers we're just me throwing ideas out there.

The gold edition is out of the question for me, sadly. I just don't have that extra $20-$25. I'd be willing to put in maybe an extra 5-10 on top of the normal fee from each member for a prize.

NYYFAN
11-24-04, 12:02 PM

Yea, those numbers we're just me throwing ideas out there.

The gold edition is out of the question for me, sadly. I just don't have that extra $20-$25. I'd be willing to put in maybe an extra 5-10 on top of the normal fee from each member for a prize.

We might be able to cover the Commish being a little short...

PinstripePride
11-24-04, 01:11 PM

We might be able to cover the Commish being a little short...

Nah man, I don't want people paying for me. If we end up doing the Gold Edition, I'll find a way.

#1PaFan
12-26-04, 09:16 PM
Rush yards/points are way too tough to come by the way it is now. Right now, Suggs has 80 rushing yards but lost one fumble and he only scored 2 points. That's just not right.

Next year, it should be 1 pt. per 10 yards. I have no problem with the negative points for turnovers.

Clive
12-28-04, 12:22 AM
The prices for Sportsline are positively insane. :scared:

I'll ask some of my friends that are in pay leagues what service they use. The only other sites I know of offhand are RTSports (http://www.rtsports.com/), My Fantasy League (http://myfantasyleague.com/index.htm) and the fantasy leagues through ESPN.