PDA

View Full Version : Who are you backing in the NHL playoffs?

Lefty Gomez
04-08-01, 08:54 PM
I have to go with the Flyers - I can't take the Debbies, the Dirty Birds, the Feeble Leafs or anybody else in the East. The Flyers have what I like, a lunchbucket old-time hockey attitude. That Cechmanek is one tough guy to put a puck behind too.

Who ya backing?

b-ball-lunachick
04-09-01, 12:17 PM
I've been a Devils fan since they moved the franchise here and were called a Mickey Mouse organization by "the Great One", so I'm backing the Devils again, lol!! Go Devils!! :)

orangemom
04-09-01, 12:41 PM
I hate to say it, because after what the Devils organization did to the City of Utica and the Mohawk Valley, I despise them, but I think they're gonna be tough to beat. I think I'll root for Philly though. Cechmanek is awesome.

Winger03
04-09-01, 01:11 PM
LET'S GO CAPS !!!

Danmel
04-09-01, 02:17 PM
I can't ever root for the Flyers, so I'll just pick the Blues, for no reason at all!

allybear
04-09-01, 04:27 PM
If the Pens somehow get lucky with goaltending, I would never bet against a team with Mario Lemieux!

LET'S GO PENS!!! LET'S GO SUPER MARIO!!!

YankeePrincess
04-09-01, 05:11 PM
I'm definately rooting for the Devils. I'm looking for a repeat of winning the Cup last year.

Lefty Gomez
04-09-01, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by orangemom
I think I'll root for Philly though. Cechmanek is awesome.

Good eye, orangemom! :D

orangemom
04-10-01, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Lefty Gomez

Good eye, orangemom! :D

Looks like we're in agreement. :D Goaltending is what does it in the playoffs. It's like having a solid pitching rotation in baseball, if you don't have a strong goalie, you're done. Cechmanek is the goalie the Flyers have been looking for, for how many years? All that scoring they have always had, but they never had a goalie who could keep them in the game when playoff time rolled around. They do now!

Lefty Gomez
04-10-01, 06:06 PM
Cechmanek is standing on his head so far and I think he'll continue to do so. He's experienced in international competition so I don't believe he'll wilt in the playoffs, although the intensity level does get jacked up fivefold. He's got the Sabres thinking about how to possibly beat him in that series, with no real answers. Oughtta be a great matchup!

patrick.o
04-10-01, 06:15 PM
I hate to go with a front-runner, but I don't think it's possible for me to not root for Patrick Roy. He's been my hero since he brought the glory of Lord Stanley's Cup back to Montreal in his rookie year, and the organization has never been the same since he was traded to Colorado (the biggest mistake in franchise history).
Because the Habs are watching on tv, I'll take Roy and the Avalanche.

Lefty Gomez
04-10-01, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Ray Borque (sp?) hoist The Cup at all, patrick.o. If anyone deserves one for the hard, loyal work they've done, it's Ray. Not a classier guy in the NHL past or present either.

patrick.o
04-11-01, 12:13 AM
Yeah, Lefty, I wouldn't feel bad about Bourque finally hoisting the Cup. It would be a shame if he never got to have his name engraved on it.

jess2
04-12-01, 01:59 PM
I am a huge Sabres fan! This series between the Sabres and Flyers is gonna be awesome. You have Cechmanek in goal for the Flyers and of course Hasek in goal for the Sabres.
Sabres lead series 1-0.

orangemom
04-12-01, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by jess2
I am a huge Sabres fan! This series between the Sabres and Flyers is gonna be awesome. You have Cechmanek in goal for the Flyers and of course Hasek in goal for the Sabres.
Sabres lead series 1-0.

The game last night was great, what I got to see of it. Penalty shot and everything! The most exciting play in all of sports. And to see one in a playoff game, just too awesome!!

Markus
04-12-01, 04:55 PM
Sabres all the way!

The Dominator is looking good and home ice advantage is now ours!

ajc9goyanks
04-12-01, 08:42 PM
I think the Devils are the best team out of the East and the will get to the finals with out much of a problem. Unfortunately the best team in the East is third or fourth out West. I see Lord Stanley's Cup being raised in Hockey Town. The Red Wings have gaol scoring talent on every line and when Osgood gets hot he is as good as anyone between the pipes.

orangemom
04-12-01, 09:00 PM
The Red Wings have a big problem though, with Shannahan out indefinitely and Yzerman out for a couple games. That hurts! :(

ajc9goyanks
04-12-01, 09:14 PM
A series against the Kings will give Y all the tine he needs to get healthy and Holmstrom, Fedorov or Draper can help to fill Shanahan's spot. With Scotty Bowman behind the bench anything can happen.

penguin4
04-12-01, 10:49 PM
It's only 1-0... come on, Philly, you can do it!:)
http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/clubhouse/phi_logo.gif
GO FLYERS! Nuff said
:p

patrick.o
04-13-01, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by orangemom
Penalty shot....The most exciting play in all of sports.

Actually, I've always thought that a triple is the most exciting play in sports, but I guess that's a topic for another thread. ;)

allybear
04-13-01, 09:35 AM
Hey, I'm not counting my Pens out yet - we lost one game to the Caps. Guess what: in seven playoff series against the Caps, the Pens are 7-0 and in five of them, they lost the first game.

It's not over yet for Super Mario and the boys...:)

LET'S GO PENS!!!

#1YankeeLover
04-13-01, 02:45 PM
Devils all the way!! Goooo Devils!!! :)
http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/otn/laughing/astrosmiley.gif
-#1YankeeLover

b-ball-lunachick
04-14-01, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by #1YankeeLover
Devils all the way!! Goooo Devils!!! :)
-#1YankeeLover

#1YL -- Devils looked pretty dominant the other night, huh? Brodeur only had like 17 saves, and I think each line scored...our team will be tough to beat again this year!! Go Devils! :)

BayStateYank
04-15-01, 08:51 PM
For one, I hate the Devils and Devils fans (only when they talk about hockey). I am a Rangers fan, but they are not in, so I'm pullin for Toronto and Edmonton.

Lady Jade
04-15-01, 09:16 PM
I'm not a big hockey fan but, I'm rooting for the CAPS. It would be nice to see them lose the habit of choking and go all the way but, I don't see it happening.

b-ball-lunachick
04-20-01, 05:58 PM
Here's hoping the Devils win tonight and advance to Round 2!! Woo-hoo!! Go Devils! Go Devils!! :)

patrick.o
04-20-01, 06:53 PM
Well, "my" Avs are moving on to the second round, despite Patrick Roy's inability to stop more than 1 out of every 9 shots. I need him to do better in this round; he's on my fantasy team and the NHL's second round is our finals.

bagger015
04-20-01, 11:51 PM
Sabers. :)

Lefty Gomez
04-21-01, 07:33 PM
Wow! The Flyers were totally dismantled and Cechmanek gave up 5 goals on 9 shots, what a meltdown... :drool:

orangemom
04-21-01, 08:11 PM
Definitely. :barf:

penguin4
04-21-01, 08:16 PM
It's not fair!!!:mad:

YanKsWo
04-22-01, 01:49 AM
Im Voting For New Jersey Devils or the Penguins to win!:D

gehrigs_girl
04-29-01, 01:10 AM
...I can't really say, because the Oilers or the Blackhawks aren't involved, so I've pretty much called it a season, now, eh?... :boring::boring::boring:

Mean Linguine
04-30-01, 02:31 PM
When do they begin?

caliyanksfan
05-01-01, 10:06 AM
isn't california the first place you think of when you think of hockey, anyways?;)

~~jl

Danmel
05-01-01, 10:36 AM
Actually, I think of Nashville and Phoenix!

Ansky39
05-07-01, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by caliyanksfan
isn't california the first place you think of when you think of hockey, anyways?;)

~~jl

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/realhappy/mhihi.gif

they seem to be playing at another level so far... impressive...

b-ball-lunachick
05-09-01, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by allybear
Hey, I'm not counting my Pens out yet - we lost one game to the Caps. Guess what: in seven playoff series against the Caps, the Pens are 7-0 and in five of them, they lost the first game.

It's not over yet for Super Mario and the boys...:)

LET'S GO PENS!!!

Ally -- congrats to your Pens for a tough win last night!!! :)

I hope it's a Devils - Penguin series because that would mean both our teams made it past Game 7!! Although, we might have to put a friendly wager on that series!! :D

Either way, great comeback story for Lemieux too...he seems like a nice guy, so I'm happy for him and the organization...good luck in game 7!! :)

allybear
05-10-01, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the kind wishes - you know, a bet might be in order! Did I ever tell you the story about when the Penguins played the Devils years ago in the playoffs and some of the Jersey fans took a stuffed Opus the penguin and hung him from a noose! I was like, "how dare they - taking it out on Opus?!?!"

So as long as they don't abuse any other stuffed penguins, I think it would be an exciting series! :)