PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Walks, Rubber Chickens

SoCal Pinstriper
06-23-04, 09:44 PM
In a very creative move, the Giants have made a popular fan promotion of the many intentional walks awarded to Barry Bonds. A rubber chicken is hung in efigy along the outfield wall every time a Giant is intentionally walked.

Rubber chickens are also sold at the park for 10$, with proceeds to charity. Fans swing them when a walk is issued. Watching the Dodger game tonight, they appear to be quite popular.

This strikes me as a nice way to make a bad situation for fans a little more fun.:)

OilCan
06-23-04, 09:48 PM
During the Sox series, they walked Pokey intentionally to load the bases for Pedro.

All the Sox fans in the stadium (there were a lot) started waving the rubber chickens around.

Pretty funny. :)

SoCal Pinstriper
06-23-04, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by OilCan
During the Sox series, they walked Pokey intentionally to load the bases for Pedro.

All the Sox fans in the stadium (there were a lot) started waving the rubber chickens around.

Pretty funny. :)

:lol:

nahzo
06-23-04, 10:02 PM
Socal are you watching it right now? Weaver is in the middle of a mmm-mmm-mmmeltdown... :P

SoCal Pinstriper
06-23-04, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by nahzo
Socal are you watching it right now? Weaver is in the middle of a mmm-mmm-mmmeltdown... :P

Yea, but I'm watching the Angels too, since, like many men, I'm not capable of watching one thing.

What, IMO,has made Weaver better this year is his ability to get through innings like the second,regroup,and keep his tean inthe game.

nahzo
06-23-04, 10:16 PM
Yikes! Weaver just K'ed Barry. :mad:

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
06-24-04, 03:06 AM
Here's an article about said chickens from mlb.com:

Operation Cluck (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_leftfield.jsp?ymd=20040620&content_id=776287&vkey=leftfield&fext=.jsp)

I just wish someone else besides the Giants had come up with the idea, because those chickens are hilarious (especially the guy in the chicken suit who was listening to the game on his headphones in the bay last night). Why does the chicken have to be "a certified Giants fan"? :barf: :barf: :barf:

What's ANSKY?
06-24-04, 10:44 AM
I think this is one of the funniest things in baseball. I just hope it doesn't get played out like the thunder sticks crap.

25Giambi25
06-24-04, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by What's ANSKY?
I think this is one of the funniest things in baseball. I just hope it doesn't get played out like the thunder sticks crap.

Ugh! The thunder sticks are awful! If you need tools to get loud in your stadium then that's just sad.

penfold
06-24-04, 01:14 PM
The chickens are inspired lunacy. I like 'em.

1 question, though: The rubber chickens are orange, right? I was too tired to check the color settings on my TV....

nahzo
06-24-04, 01:35 PM
The ones they hang in right field are like ones you'd expect to buy at a regular joke/magic/gag store, regular yellow. The ones they sell are all orange with a "SF" logo on them.

BTW, it's not really that new, it's been a long time coming, ever since they started showing the "chicken walk dance" on the scoreboard a year or more back.

derekjeter916
06-24-04, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by What's ANSKY?

At least they're not LOUD like the Thunder Stix. Those were SOOOO annoying.

penfold
06-24-04, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by derekjeter916

At least they're not LOUD like the Thunder Stix. Those were SOOOO annoying.

were?
are!
They're still giving them away in stadiums!
I think they're the giveaway tomorrow in Dodger Stadium. UGH. A good reason to NOT go to a game.

derekjeter916
06-24-04, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by penfold

were?
are!
They're still giving them away in stadiums!
I think they're the giveaway tomorrow in Dodger Stadium. UGH. A good reason to NOT go to a game.

Yeah. Are.

They just don't seem to bring as much "luck" to their teams any more, so I don't notice them as much. Hope the Yankees never start selling those. They really obstruct views, too. I don't want to pay 50 dollars for a seat beyond the foul pole and then not be able to see because I have a pair of Thunder Stix in my face.