PDA

View Full Version : Mets Announcer Calls Griffey Disgraceful

donniesrecordholdsup
06-23-04, 04:59 PM
i dont know if anyone heard this on mike and the mad dog .gary cohen called griffey disgraceful for not running out ground balls and for not catching camerons double (which looked uncatchable) .normally i would agree but cause of griffeys injuries history i give him a huge pass .he was giving bonds a pass for not running cause hes so good .but you dont give a pass to a guy who has hardly been on the field for 3 years? and then he accused him of not playing hard in seattle which isnt true at all .didnt he injure himself that time making a catch against the wall ? the guy is finnaly back on the field having a good season ,of course hes not gonna risk injury again .he got injured that time rounding third in a spring training game ,hes that fragile . i know some of you don't like griffey (but love bonds which is mond boggiling ) but still i think it's unfair to call griffey disgraceful .

chanman7483
06-23-04, 05:11 PM
I'd definetly have to say that the announcer who made that call is awfully ignorant.

As you noted, Griffey has had a recent histroy of injuries... He's not going to run his hardest on every ground ball knowing that at any second a tendon in his knee or something like that will get messed up.

A couple of games ago, Griffey made a really good play in the OF. There was a shallow fly ball and griffey ran in, just like old days, and made a sprawling catch to rob the batter. Griffey got up extremely slow and holding his shoulder. It'd pay for Griffey to take things slow.

Just a lack of insight on the part of the announcer.

Pomp
06-23-04, 05:12 PM
capital letters? capital letters? we don't need no stinkin capital letters.

Calvin and Hobbes
06-23-04, 05:21 PM
Cut the man some slack. He watches the Mets every day, so he KNOWS a disgrace when he sees one.

BobbyMurcerFan
06-23-04, 05:37 PM
LOL!

nahzo
06-23-04, 06:46 PM
Is it in response to Griffey recently saying the Mets were disrespectful in their dealings in 1999?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmside233864797jun23,0,1369457.story?coll=ny-nyc-sports-headlines

SoCal Pinstriper
06-23-04, 07:01 PM
I am not the biggest Jr. fan, but the value of him running out a ground ball vs. potentially missing more time is not even a subject an announcer should discuss.

He played his ass off in Seattle, and the shoulder injury that sidlined him in Cincy happened while he was diving for a ball. I don't know anything about Gary Cohen, since I tend to watch other contending teams on "Extra Innings" when the yanks aren't on, but he is way off here.

donniesrecordholdsup
06-23-04, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by nahzo
Is it in response to Griffey recently saying the Mets were disrespectful in their dealings in 1999?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmside233864797jun23,0,1369457.story?coll=ny-nyc-sports-headlines

No,nothing to do with that .

YClipper5
06-24-04, 09:00 AM
I wonder if Gary Cohen bashes Piazza, in the same tone, when he doesn't bust it out of the box on a hard hit ball he thinks is gone.

I highly doubt it.

DaPip1998
06-24-04, 09:58 AM
Did Gary Cohen also attack the Yankees last year during that Jeff Weaver/rainout controversy?

JeffWeaverFan
06-24-04, 10:54 AM
In Sports Illustarted a few weeks ago, they had a scouts take on Ken Griffey Jr. and the scout said he wasn't too impressed with him. He said he only swung for the fences and did not try to catch balls that he used to in the outfielder. As a lot of us are doing now, he gave him a free pass because of his injury-plagued past.

HoustonSoxFan
06-24-04, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by JeffWeaverFan
In Sports Illustarted a few weeks ago, they had a scouts take on Ken Griffey Jr. and the scout said he wasn't too impressed with him. He said he only swung for the fences and did not try to catch balls that he used to in the outfielder. As a lot of us are doing now, he gave him a free pass because of his injury-plagued past.

I read that also, but it wasn't that brutal. The scout said that he feels that Ken isn't as good an outfielder as he once was. He said that he has less range and doesn't take a lot of chances in the outfield and "doesn't really blame him" considering the injury trouble.

I don't think that Jr is swinging for the fences everytime. Sheffield on the other hand....

YClipper5
06-24-04, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by HoustonSoxFan
Sheffield on the other hand....
I don't necessarily think Sheffield is swinging for the fences all the time. I just think he's trying to hit the ball as hard as humanly possible, and whether its a long ball, or a line drive that eats up the third baseman is fine with him.

HelloNewman
06-25-04, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by YClipper5
I wonder if Gary Cohen bashes Piazza, in the same tone, when he doesn't bust it out of the box on a hard hit ball he thinks is gone.

I highly doubt it.
Bingo. Cohen has a history of bashing opposing team players, particularly stars - he got all over Vladimir Guerrero a few years ago for arguing with an umpire over some ball/strike calls. But Saint Mike gets a free skate.

sorigirl
06-25-04, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by YClipper5

I just think he's trying to hit the ball as hard as humanly possible

Yeah, I didn't know it was humanly possible to hit the ball that hard! :D

I agree YClip, I don't think he's swinging for the fences either. In the beginning of the season, that's another story....

HelloNewman
07-01-04, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by HoustonSoxFan
I don't think that Jr is swinging for the fences everytime. Sheffield on the other hand....
Sometimes he just swings for the 3rd-base line ...