PDA

View Full Version : Worst statistical player?

RhodeyYankee2638
06-23-04, 03:08 PM
I know sabermatics can be used to tell who the best pitchers and hitters are using a variance of formulas. Does anyone know who the worst statistical hitter and pitcher was of all time (or recently too if thats easier).

RhodeyYankee2638
06-24-04, 06:52 PM
No one? If its not possible to figure out, someone can tell me so I don't get my hopes up

NicktheStick36
06-25-04, 02:45 AM
To determine that with any kind of accuracy, I would probably need about 6 months of work (in order to get the correct adjustments for era and park).

I would also need baselines, like a minimum for games played, at bats, innings...what ever you want the limit to be.

Off the top of my head, I would say Aurilo Rodriguez was the worst hitter to have a 2000 game career.

Matt Young might have been the worst pitcher in recent memory. I don't know about the past.

Mike M
06-27-04, 12:14 PM
It'd be interesting to see what the end result would be....

NJASDJDH
06-27-04, 02:32 PM
If he played a full season at 1B Darin Erstad would probably take the title for a season.

Rich
06-27-04, 05:37 PM
Enrique Wilson.

Vile Tom
06-28-04, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638
I know sabermatics can be used to tell who the best pitchers and hitters are using a variance of formulas. Does anyone know who the worst statistical hitter and pitcher was of all time (or recently too if thats easier).

Moe Berg, a backup catcher in the 20's and 30's, had a 15 year career with an OPS+ of 49. During WWII he was a spy for the OSS. He might have been the smartest guy to ever play MLB, but he couldn't hit.

Marc Sullivan, the son of one of the team owners, was allowed to accumulate 397 plate appearances over 5 seasons with an OPS+ of 32.

The problem with this exercise is that people who qualify as contenders tend to have very short careers. If they're that bad they get sent down - pronto - unless Dad owns the team.

RhodeyYankee2638
06-28-04, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Vile Tom

Moe Berg, a backup catcher in the 20's and 30's, had a 15 year career with an OPS+ of 49. During WWII he was a spy for the OSS. He might have been the smartest guy to ever play MLB, but he couldn't hit.

Marc Sullivan, the son of one of the team owners, was allowed to accumulate 397 plate appearances over 5 seasons with an OPS+ of 32.

The problem with this exercise is that people who qualify as contenders tend to have very short careers. If they're that bad they get sent down - pronto - unless Dad owns the team.

Thank you very much

jyjjy
07-04-04, 06:44 PM
Neifi Perez is a common sabremetric whipping boy, and rightfully so.