PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Rocks [Boston at Colorado 6/17 - mod]

WakefieldsCrewSox
06-17-04, 04:18 PM
Currently 5-0 good guys (BoSox for the wiseasses out there ;) ) in the 7th. Derek Lowe has run his streak of innings without any earned runs to 18 as I type this. Nice to see him finally resume some of his old form. I read recently that after working with Dave Wallace he had also found a problem in his rotation (something about flying open and giving away his pitches) so perhaps he has solved that problem. Any outing in Colorado where you can flirt with a shutout is impressive. (By the way- anyone want to take bets that the Rockies are exactly the type of team that would throw DLowe 10-11 million a year in free agency to pitch there? Seems like a perfect fit- guy who traditionally gets a ton of run support and is a ground ball pitcher. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.)

Michaels07
06-17-04, 04:21 PM
Tampa will soon catch the Sox.

Pomp
06-17-04, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by WakefieldsCrewSox
Currently 5-0 good guys (BoSox for the wiseasses out there ;) ) in the 7th. Derek Lowe has run his streak of innings without any earned runs to 18 as I type this. Nice to see him finally resume some of his old form. I read recently that after working with Dave Wallace he had also found a problem in his rotation (something about flying open and giving away his pitches) so perhaps he has solved that problem. Any outing in Colorado where you can flirt with a shutout is impressive. (By the way- anyone want to take bets that the Rockies are exactly the type of team that would throw DLowe 10-11 million a year in free agency to pitch there? Seems like a perfect fit- guy who traditionally gets a ton of run support and is a ground ball pitcher. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.)

The sun has to shine on a dog's a$s every once and a while.

RhodeyYankee2638
06-17-04, 04:33 PM

18 INNINNGS!!!!!! Orel's streak is in jeopardy!!!!!!

flymick24
06-17-04, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638

:lol:

HelloNewman
06-17-04, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638

In all fairness, for a guy struggling as badly as Lowe was, to go 18 innings without an earned run is a big step in the right direction.

flymick24
06-17-04, 04:41 PM

d. lowe is the jose contreras of the red sox. both are capable of pitching well but too often let their head get in the way of their arm.

WakefieldsCrewSox
06-17-04, 04:42 PM
Kevin Millar just tripped over third base coming home and did a face plant. Half the team is in hysterics. What a clown.

YANKEE MAGIC
Originally posted by Pomp

The sun has to shine on a dog's a$s every once and a while.

:lol:

WakefieldsCrewSox
Originally posted by flymick24

d. lowe is the jose contreras of the red sox. both are capable of pitching well but too often let their head get in the way of their arm.

Derek Lowe is a much much better pitcher than Jose Contreras, and has had a great deal more success at the major league level. However, from a mental standpoint, they do share similarities.

SoCal Pinstriper
06-17-04, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Michaels07
Tampa will soon carch the Sox.

OK, I have to know, was this a play on a Baahstn accent or a typo:lol: :D

Seriously though. Lowe had a great outing. I watched many sinkerballers flail at altitude during the five years I had Rockie season seats. Most notably the Rock's own Kile (RIP).

Much to my dismay,Lowe appears to have come around.:mad: :mad:

Pomp
06-17-04, 04:46 PM

Derek Lowe is a much much better pitcher than Jose Contreras, and has had a great deal more success at the major league level. However, from a mental standpoint, they do share similarities.

Take Derek Lowe off the Red Sox last year and he probably would have been a sub-500 to .500 pitcher. He is the most overrated pitcher in baseball. I am not saying Conteras is better, but Derek Lowe is not a good pitcher, bottom line.

WakefieldsCrewSox
06-17-04, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Pomp

Take Derek Lowe off the Red Sox last year and he probably would have been a sub-500 to .500 pitcher. He is the most overrated pitcher in baseball. I am not saying Conteras is better, but Derek Lowe is not a good pitcher, bottom line.

Derek Lowe is a good pitcher. He has had a 20 win season as well as a 40 save season. Pitchers who aren't 'good' don't do these things. However, I do agree that he has a Jekyl/Hyde complex. While its easy to view his numbers as a whole last year and say hes not great, he went through alternating streaks. I agree hes a headcase, but he absolutely is a good pitcher.

WakefieldsCrewSox
06-17-04, 04:52 PM
9-0 in the eighth. Too bad they couldn't spread the offense out over the course of the 3 game series. Nomar 3-5 with a triple and 2 runs scored, Trot 2-3 with a double and a run scored.

Winfield31
06-17-04, 05:25 PM
:) :) Anyone notice that at the end of the game the friendly folks at Coors field were kind enough to play New York New York for the Sox?

indianyanksfan
06-17-04, 07:41 PM

Derek Lowe is a good pitcher. He has had a 20 win season as well as a 40 save season. Pitchers who aren't 'good' don't do these things. However, I do agree that he has a Jekyl/Hyde complex. While its easy to view his numbers as a whole last year and say hes not great, he went through alternating streaks. I agree hes a headcase, but he absolutely is a good pitcher.

lowe doesn't scare me..sorry.

parkerstrong
06-17-04, 08:39 PM
we beat lowe twice in the playoffs last year...he is overrated. his ERA last year was 4.47. that isnt good. he has had good years, but he isnt anything special. hell, rick helling has had good years. (BTW, he has a better history than contreas though)

-tz
06-17-04, 09:25 PM
In any case, props to Lowe for pitching 7/9ths of a Coors Field shutout (and to the pen for finishing it off). In nine years, there have only been 25 of those ... :eek:

BoSox37
06-17-04, 09:43 PM
Lowe has definitely turned the corner, when he was struggling, his sinker was either way down and out of the zone, or waist high if it was a strike. In his last few outings, he has been able to spot the sinker at the knees, lower in the strike zone. Sinkerball pitchers need to keep the ball down in the zone, he has corrected whatever flaw he had in is mechanics and is starting to look like the 2002 version of Derek Lowe. Whether or not he keeps it up for the rest of the year is anybodys guess, I think he is going to have a great second half.

BombersBlvd
06-18-04, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by parkerstrong
we beat lowe twice in the playoffs last year...he is overrated. his ERA last year was 4.47. that isnt good. he has had good years, but he isnt anything special. hell, rick helling has had good years. (BTW, he has a better history than contreas though)

You can say the same thing about Pettitte's 2003 ERA then, but can you really say that Andy was a bad pitcher? Yes, the Yanks beat Lowe twice, but you can't base his post-season #'s off of one series, that's just crazy. For example, Andy had a terrible World Series in 2001, but he had some great games, too. The difference is a pitcher like Pettitte has had more opportunities to establish a more fair sample of his post-season abilities while someone like Derek Lowe has had a limited sample to date. Lowe is effective enough for that team. Also, I don't know how anyone can argue that 18 scoreless innings is not impressive.

WakefieldsCrewSox
06-18-04, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BombersBlvd

You can say the same thing about Pettitte's 2003 ERA then, but can you really say that Andy was a bad pitcher? Yes, the Yanks beat Lowe twice, but you can't base his post-season #'s off of one series, that's just crazy. For example, Andy had a terrible World Series in 2001, but he had some great games, too. The difference is a pitcher like Pettitte has had more opportunities to establish a more fair sample of his post-season abilities while someone like Derek Lowe has had a limited sample to date. Lowe is effective enough for that team. Also, I don't know how anyone can argue that 18 scoreless innings is not impressive.

I am in agreement Bombers- I would never argue Lowe is an ace (as Boras surely is/will) but he is a more than adequate #3 when his head is screwed on straight. He has been seeing a sports psychologist recently and the results speak for themselves. As far as the playoffs go, noone can try to tell me that he was not absolutely clutch in game 5 of the Oakland series.