PDA

View Full Version : Incident to get a foul ball at the Texas Rangers game today

Carissa
06-13-04, 06:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=240613113

St. Louis led 12-0 in the third when a foul ball hit into the stands by Matthews got more attention than anything on the field.

In the ensuing scramble, a husky man jumped over a row of seats and pinned a 4-year-old boy against the seats with his legs while diving to get the ball. To no avail, fans started chanting ``Give him the ball! Give him the ball!''

But the boy, who wasn't injured, ended up with much more than one ball. In the next few minutes, both teams sent bats and balls to the boy, including Cardinals outfielder Reggie Sanders coming out between innings to do so.

``In my heart, I thought I should do something,'' said Sanders, who initially saw the incident on the clubhouse TV. ``It's all about the kids.''

There was also a little extra for the man who got the ball, but he left two innings later and never received the Cardinals T-shirt on which ``Tough Guy'' and ``Ball Stealer'' was written by reliever Steve Kline.

``I'm a big fan of giving kids balls. He was a real jerk about it,'' Kline said. ``That's part of life, people like that in the world. They do somethinglike that. I don't understand.''

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040613/capt.arl10806132141.cardinals_rangers_arl108.jpg
Edie O'Brien, back center, holds her four-year-old son, Nicholas, as St. Louis Cardinals' Reggie Sanders (16) speaks with him after Sanders gives the boy a bat during their game against the Texas Rangers, Sunday, June 13, 2004. At left Rangers usher Jan Oliver offers Nicholas a ball. Nicholas was knocked down when a fan scrambled for a foul ball.
(AP Photo/Linda Kaye)

MaineSoxFan
06-13-04, 06:42 PM
Nice to see the players stepped up. What is wrong with a guy like that? Its a foul ball not the Hope diamond.

sorigirl
06-13-04, 07:16 PM
People make me sick sometimes. :barf:

And MaineSoxFan, I agree....nice to see the players step up.

StaceyRosie
06-13-04, 07:19 PM
That's it ban all grown men from stadiums! I am sick and tired of seeing these idiots trying to block CHILDREN from getting foul balls.

Good move by the players.

Okay don't ban all grown men. Just keep them away from the first rows :)

JeffWeaverFan
06-13-04, 07:22 PM
It was dispicable. It was great that everyone saw what an a**hole that guy was. Glad the kid got a bat and a ball.

cubswin
06-13-04, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by StaceyRosie
That's it ban all grown men from stadiums! I am sick and tired of seeing these idiots trying to block CHILDREN from getting foul balls.

Good move by the players.

Okay don't ban all grown men. Just keep them away from the first rows :)

Actually, we need to ban women, too, after the idiot in Boston decided to press charge b/c she got hit with a ball. So I guess it will just be kids at games, getting knocked left and right by line drives. ;)

DaBomber25
06-13-04, 07:45 PM
It was funny to watch the mother start smacking him afterwards. :lol:

The guys girlfriend looked as if she wanted to die.

Wonder if he knows Mr. Bartman?

StaceyRosie
06-13-04, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by cubswin

Actually, we need to ban women, too, after the idiot in Boston decided to press charge b/c she got hit with a ball. So I guess it will just be kids at games, getting knocked left and right by line drives. ;)

You lost me at "idiot in Boston"

:lol:

KC
06-13-04, 07:55 PM
People make me sick. :(

Yanks21
06-13-04, 08:43 PM
There was also a little extra for the man who got the ball, but he left two innings later and never received the Cardinals T-shirt on which ``Tough Guy'' and ``Ball Stealer'' was written by reliever Steve Kline.

:lol:

wexy
06-13-04, 09:26 PM
Just today at our game, a guy a few rows back gave a little kid in front of him the ball . A nice gesture.

YankeePride1967
06-13-04, 09:36 PM
I don't usually make a big deal about foul balls But in Game 2 of the 2001 ALDS during BP, I was in the right field upper deck. There was this one idiot (20ish) that was diving over people trying to get a ball. Well after awhile, he came running down, tripped, and landed on two elderly (70ish) people. And when the older gentleman said excuse me the punk told the guy to f off. Fortunately he didn't get the ball. Next ball I see coming in the area (there was no one in the area it was headed to) I literally ran over 3 rows of seats and tripped over the last two but got the ball just before the punk could, I got up and gave the ball to a kid in the next section. The punk didn't look too happy but I sure was!

As for Reggie Sanders, that is character!

patrick.o
06-13-04, 09:39 PM
That is by far the best part of the whole thing. Some people are just so self centered and thoughtless that it just boggles my mind. Is it wrong of me to hope the guys gets thoroughly embarassed by his peers at work tomorrow?

YankeePride1967
06-13-04, 09:42 PM
And another thing, I just saw the replay, if that were my son and I was there and this idiot did this, he'd be in the hospital and I'd probably be in jail.

DiMaggio5CF
06-13-04, 10:52 PM
What's the big deal? The guy wanted the ball; so what if he had to drop a little kid to get it?

I'd body-check a four-year-old into the rail to grab that $10 ball. So what? Everybody's dream is to catch a foul ball at a baseball game; if you have to blind-side someone one-tenth the size of yourself, then do it.

I totally understand it. It's your ball, man, go out and get it.

I'm sure his friends were all very impressed.

They weren't congratulating him on the ball; I'm sure they were more impressed with the way he crushed the little kid's cranium against the railing.

That's a Tivo moment, for sure. Burn that onto a DVD and put it in a safe place.

You're in the stands at a baseball game; not on the gridiron at a football game, or out on the ice in a hockey game.

If you want to truck someone in the stands going for a ball, how about you pick a 6-foot-7, 250-pound freak of nature with a crew cut and wearing a muscle shirt instead of a 3-foot, 60-pound kindergartener?

I like the t-shirt that the Cards' players made up that said "Tough Guy" and "Ball Stealer". I think some balls were already stolen, and they weren't from the little kid. When you're a grown man and you body-check a four-year old while going for a foul ball, that's just about the only excuse. That's the only reason right there.

And then why he leave the ballpark? Why not just sit down, have another beer, and pick out your next victim? Who's it going to be? The teenage girl sitting a few rows away? Or do you want to stick with someone who hasn't made it to elementary school yet? Anybody in a wheelchair nearby?

Remember, when you're going after a foul ball, it's not whether or not you get the ball, it's how many pre-schoolers you drop in the process.

Jackass.

DiMaggio5CF
06-13-04, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket
And another thing, I just saw the replay, if that were my son and I was there and this idiot did this, he'd be in the hospital and I'd probably be in jail.

There's no reason to beat up a guy like that.

The guy obviously wants a baseball really bad, so why not just help him get some more?

Take him up to the third deck and every time a foul ball comes by, toss him off so he can get it.

Be helpful, not angry.

YankeePride1967
06-14-04, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by DiMaggio5CF

There's no reason to beat up a guy like that.

The guy obviously wants a baseball really bad, so why not just help him get some more?

Take him up to the third deck and every time a foul ball comes by, toss him off so he can get it.

Be helpful, not angry.

:lol: :lol:

YankeeGalSC
06-14-04, 10:06 AM
I saw it on TV (ESPN Sportscenter). DISPICABLE! I'm sure it will be discussed on PTI and I can't wait to see what Tony and Mike have to say about it.

What a classless individual!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Alex
06-14-04, 10:54 AM
I can understand falling into the row in front of you in the excitement of going after a ball. Completely understand. But the ball landed right at the mother's feet. It was her ball to give to her kid. The guy launched himself forward and seemed to actually wrestle it away from the woman. It was unreal. She seemed to be whacking him with a rollled up program or something in a "get off of me!" way. The kid looked so lost... he just stood there wedged between this 250lb man and the seats. I dunno if anyone noticed, but the kid was rubbing his forarm the whole time...'cuz he jammed it on the seat in front of him. He was like.... 4 years old or something... he didn't know what in the heck was going on.

The funny thing is that the kid got much more than he could've hoped for, and the guy's face has been shown on national TV to be shamed for a few days. I even think he will be punished (publicly) even more than he deserves. Wherever he goes, people will make fun of him.

Alex
06-14-04, 10:57 AM
These were the best parts:

"In my heart, I thought I should do something,'' said Sanders, who initially saw the incident on the clubhouse TV. ``It's all about the kids.''

I was wondering how the players found out about it, and I like the Steve Kline bit with the T-Shirt.

SanFrANSKY
06-14-04, 11:06 AM
Great to see the players take an active interest in the young fans' enjoyment of the game.

Carissa
06-14-04, 11:21 AM
Here's a little more on Reggie Sanders and Steve Kline on the Cardinals site: http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/news/stl_news.jsp?ymd=20040613&content_id=769940&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp

RhodeyYankee2638
06-14-04, 11:24 AM
I'd body-check a four-year-old into the rail to grab that $10 ball

LOL, at Fenyway, they seel game used balls for $50..... So the guy was diving for a $50 bill rather than a ball. He's still a jerk

Bub
06-14-04, 11:48 AM
Very classy move by Sanders. Kids are the future of baseball; it's nice to know some players realize this.

Turd Furguson
06-14-04, 11:49 AM
There should have been some "vigilante justice" imparted on that dude. I hate people like that, it makes me leery of taking my two kids to games.

domnyyfan
06-14-04, 12:11 PM
So glad that the players did the right thing by that kid. What a loser that guy was - disgusting - so glad that it's been played on every media outlet. He'll never live this down!

Minime
06-14-04, 03:55 PM
and then there's the fat people that get drunk by the 6th inning and start making deragatory remarks about mexicans (this happened at 2 out of 3 of the games I went to last year.)

Mark19
06-14-04, 06:33 PM
Little kids have a racket on foul balls, I was never sitting close enough as a little guy to get down to the bat boys and when balls came up to my seats it was only the people with the longer arms who got them. I think there should be foul ball affirmative action where people of all sizes, ages and seat location have equal opportunity to get one.

cubswin
06-14-04, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Mark19
Little kids have a racket on foul balls, I was never sitting close enough as a little guy to get down to the bat boys and when balls came up to my seats it was only the people with the longer arms who got them. I think there should be foul ball affirmative action where people of all sizes, ages and seat location have equal opportunity to get one.

What you should do is rely on your guile and misdirection: bring a dozen balls to each game with you, and if a ball is hit in your vicinity, throw them all at once, thereby confusing all the people around you while you nab the actual game ball.

Minime
06-15-04, 06:14 AM
like in Batman forever with the coins

BroadwayBomber55
06-15-04, 09:20 AM
I saw the incident on TV. The big guy is around 250 lbs. and he dove in front of the poor 4-year kid to get a foul ball. That guy has no class. I'm glad the drunken guy got booed out of the stadium.

A nice touch from Reggie Sanders giving him a bat and a ball. I wonder if the kid used the ball to get an autograph from Alfonso Soriano.

Carissa
06-16-04, 11:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1822940&partnersite=espn

[snip]

O'Brien said she swatted the man with a cardboard fan and called him a jerk, among other names. "I said, 'You trampled a 4-year-old boy to get this ball,' and he said, 'Oh, well,' " she told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday, adding that the man seemed proud he got the ball.

[snip]

Meanwhile, the Rangers and the St. Louis Cardinals quickly made sure Nick got souvenirs of his own -- two bats and four baseballs, including one signed by Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan, a former Ranger.

[snip]

On "Good Morning America," host Charles Gibson gave the O'Briens more souvenirs Wednesday -- this time from the New York Mets. The family got tickets to Wednesday night's game against the Cleveland Indians.

"Wow," Nick responded.

RhodeyYankee2638
06-16-04, 11:09 AM
Well, the man showed initiative. I would have at least bought a fake ball and gave it to the little kid, just so he didn't feel too bad. I have gone to numerous baseball games and have never gotten a foul ball. No way I would trample a little kid in front of his mother to get the fly ball (maybe if his mom wasn't there and the cameras weren't on me, it could go down). Iim glad no one got hurt.

NDBoston
06-16-04, 11:19 AM
I actually caught a ball last year during the A's/ Red Sox game in Oakland. I looked for the nearest kid in a Red Sox hat and handed it to him ( I do have standards :lol: )

Why would anyone want to keep a ball if he's not with his child? I just don't get people sometimes.

RhodeyYankee2638
06-16-04, 11:27 AM
Why would anyone want to keep a ball if he's not with his child? I just don't get people sometimes.

Its a symbol of victory. A 100 mph ball coming screaming at you. No where to run to, no where to hide. You barehand the ball in front of your lady, showing what a man you are........... Ok, maybe if your with a lady, you give the ball to a kid, just to score some points....... But come on, when your with your buddies, and your kickin back a few beers, you have no idea whats going on, let alone looking for a kid to give a foul ball to

BroadwayBomber55
06-16-04, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Carissa
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1822940&partnersite=espn

The kid is gettin' a lot of gifts and attention.

RhodeyYankee2638
06-16-04, 12:44 PM
And that lady at Fenway that got smashed in the face with a foul ball got nothing.......... Boy its good to be a cute little kid

kennyl
06-16-04, 04:33 PM
I don't know what all your problems are with me.....I made a strong play on the ball and the kid was in my way, I gave 110% like I do in everything in life, people could learn something from my hustle and will to succeed.......what was that little puunk kid going to do with the ball anyway? This reminds me of when all you jerks crucified me for the time i ran onto the filed during that KC / CWS game and bumped into that first base coach, Gamboa I think his name was........man, everyone should just relax. ;)

YankeePride1967
06-16-04, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638
Well, the man showed initiative. I would have at least bought a fake ball and gave it to the little kid, just so he didn't feel too bad. I have gone to numerous baseball games and have never gotten a foul ball. No way I would trample a little kid in front of his mother to get the fly ball (maybe if his mom wasn't there and the cameras weren't on me, it could go down). Iim glad no one got hurt.

Same here until opening day 2000. I was in monument park and during BP, a TB player hit one next to me and I grabbed it and kept it, since it was my first I have it at home. During Game 2 of the 2001 ALDS vs. Oakland during BP, Giambi hit a ball up in the right field upper deck and I caught it, that one I walked over a section (it was early) and gave it to a kid.

chanman7483
06-16-04, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638

:lol: Wow... if I was in that situation, that guy would end up on the ground

Carissa
06-17-04, 08:40 AM
'Biggest jerk' fan has change of heart
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/203684p-175768c.html

A Texas baseball fan who prompted a public outcry when he knocked aside a 4-year-old boy to get a foul ball now says he will give the ball to the youngster, the Texas Rangers announced.

The fan, Matt Starr, also agreed to send a letter of apology to the family of Nick O'Brien and buy them tickets to future Rangers games, a club official said yesterday.

[snip]

StaceyRosie
06-17-04, 09:22 AM
Wow what a big guy. I guess he couldn't take the ribbing on TV and probably at home. What an Assclown.

KC
06-17-04, 10:34 AM
Free tickets to a Rangers game? That definitely makes it all better.

WashingtonYankee
06-17-04, 12:00 PM
Man that man makes me sick.

*claps* Nice job Reggie Sanders. :)

cubswin
06-17-04, 12:42 PM
did anybody see the video? did he push the kid out of the way (like Costanza fleeing the party due to fire) or was he going after the ball, probably too aggressively, and the kid inadvertently got pushed? just curious.