rightfielder21
06-12-04, 07:38 PM
:confused:

Rich
06-12-04, 09:12 PM
Good, I don't want him.

MulderHudsonZito
06-12-04, 11:24 PM
Which is equally good, because you were never going to get him. All that trade speculation was just plain asinine. Barry's had some mechanical problems of late, but that hardly renders him obsolete.

Yosef
06-13-04, 01:11 AM
Do you think they should trade Zito and upgrade a different aspect of their roster and/or get prospects in return?

Just curious, because Harden seems like a really good pitcher that can replace him in the big 3 in the future, although he did finish shakey last season from what I remember.

You're the one that follows the team closely, so I'm hoping you can shed some light on what might be the future of the A's rotation.

MulderHudsonZito
06-13-04, 07:01 AM
I do not think we should trade Zito, no way no how. This team is built around a utility (OBP guys, 1-9), station-to-station offense and lights-out pitching--with no plans on changing that in the foreseeable future. However, playing devil's advocate, what good would one hitter really do our team? And trade or no, could we even afford his salary? Doubtful. In my estimation, one man does not a powerful offense make. I prefer my team just the way it's constructed.

As for Harden "finishing shakey" last season--he was a 21 year old rookie. What do you expect? Neither Mulder, Hudson, nor Zito looked particularly consistent their rookie years. By the numbers, one might have thought they'd be utility pitchers.

You also asked about the future of the rotation... Only Beane and Schott know for sure, but from everything they've said, the pitching is the cornerstone of this franchise and the passing on certain position players' contracts was done so with retaining the Big Three in mind.

I think everyone will know more after Hudson's contract has been dealt with. Since he's first in line, I'd say his situtation is the baseline from which the others will measured. Do I really think we can keep all three? Probably not without moving out of Oakland. Nevertheless, Schott may surprise us. Likely that will depend on the condition of the team when the time comes.

For those reasons, I just cannot see the front office moving a pitcher before his natural time in Oakland is up.

RhodeyYankee2638
06-13-04, 09:49 AM
Well, Zito has hardly been lights out the past year or so......

Yosef
06-13-04, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by MulderHudsonZito
I do not think we should trade Zito, no way no how. This team is built around a utility (OBP guys, 1-9), station-to-station offense and lights-out pitching--with no plans on changing that in the foreseeable future. However, playing devil's advocate, what good would one hitter really do our team? And trade or no, could we even afford his salary? Doubtful. In my estimation, one man does not a powerful offense make. I prefer my team just the way it's constructed.

As for Harden "finishing shakey" last season--he was a 21 year old rookie. What do you expect? Neither Mulder, Hudson, nor Zito looked particularly consistent their rookie years. By the numbers, one might have thought they'd be utility pitchers.

You also asked about the future of the rotation... Only Beane and Schott know for sure, but from everything they've said, the pitching is the cornerstone of this franchise and the passing on certain position players' contracts was done so with retaining the Big Three in mind.

I think everyone will know more after Hudson's contract has been dealt with. Since he's first in line, I'd say his situtation is the baseline from which the others will measured. Do I really think we can keep all three? Probably not without moving out of Oakland. Nevertheless, Schott may surprise us. Likely that will depend on the condition of the team when the time comes.

For those reasons, I just cannot see the front office moving a pitcher before his natural time in Oakland is up.

I agree about Harden. I probably should have said he looks good "despite" (rather than "although") having had a rough second half. He's still young and I think he's going to be great and has given my fantasy team alot of help ;) . This is why I proposed the question of whether or not he'll maybe replace Zito. I guess maybe the A's just want four aces in the future.