PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Sox/Yankee Fans.. Could you/would you?

TripleG23
06-10-04, 09:50 AM
Here are a couple of questions for Yankee & Red Sox Fans. How far would the rivalry and the hatred for each other go?...

1) If you were offered a job in the opposing organization, would you take it? You would be much better off in life financially then you are now, not millions and millions of dollars but much more comfortable and a great career opportunity. Only thing is you would have to cut ties with your favorite team to join the rival. Could you or would you join the competition?

2) If you had a son who happened to make the majors, and he played for your most hated rival could you cheer on that team? Especially in a big game against your favorite team? Example, Game 7 of the ALCS, your son steps to the plate his team down 4-1, you are ONE OUT away from the World Series, bases loaded, a homerun makes your son the hero. Do you want your son to hit that HR to beat your ball club?

Have fun discussing...

-Triple G

KP88
06-10-04, 09:59 AM
I was ready to accept this job until I saw that I'd have to cut ties with my Sox, so, no, I couldn't take this job. Here it is: I think that I am like most other (rational) Sox fans, in that I have a respect for certain players in the Yankee organization, can appreciate what they have accomplished in their history as a team, and enjoy intelligent baseball debates with their fans. But I am so invested in the Red Sox that to cut ties would be impossible. Sox fans live and die with the team- what they accomplish (and what they don't) impacts an entire Nation of people.

And without question, I would cheer for my son in that situation. I don't think I even need to explain that one.

RhodyYanksFan
06-10-04, 10:14 AM
If it means getting to work for a ballclub and see how everything behind the scenes works...I would definatly take the job. I hate the Red Sox but I would work for them in a heartbeat. That's not to say I'd rather work for a team I like, but I think it would be such a good opportunity and experience, I wouldn't let my team affiliation get in the way of that.

Irony Of It All
06-10-04, 10:22 AM
If this was a position that I would love to have there is no way I would turn it down. In some ways I'd rather work for the Red Sox than most other franchises due in large part to how they run their front office; Bill James, Theo Epstein, etc.

Family is far more important than a game, so yes I would definitely cheer for anyone that I care about in that situation.

Worm
06-10-04, 10:43 AM
As a Sox fan I would say the following:

* I'd take the job because you have to respect the tradition and history of the Yankees, that's pretty much a no brainer. If you're working in MLB it's probably a place anyone would want to go. One caveat to this is of course George. Even as a Sox fan I have not enjoyed watching Brian Cashman age in dog years, watching the bags under his eyes darken game by game. Working for George would be a challenge to put it mildly. Not sure I'd want that gig from that perspective. Then again, you pretty much have unlimited resources to do your job. Just don't screw it up.

* As others have mentioned, I'd be there for my son cheering as loudly as possible, probably wearing a pinstriped jersey with his number on it proudly. Wouldn't even think twice about it.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
06-10-04, 10:46 AM
I don't think I'd take the job. I just don't think I could do it.

I would cheer for my kid (but somewhere deep down part of me would pull ever so slightly for the Red Sox).

hugelongtermdeal
06-10-04, 11:04 AM
1) - only if it was the oppty of a lifetime ... for run of the mill position - no chance.

2) - yes, absolutely.

SanFrANSKY
06-10-04, 11:11 AM
1. YES, easily. A career opportunity with an MLB team? And a fat raise to boot? Bring it.

(In fact I'd think twice about working for the YANKEES on account of I may respect GS but I certainly don't wanna be his employee)

2. Parents support their kids no matter who they play for. My hitherto unconceived son up against the Yankees in the LCS and a chance to be a hero? Hammer that ball, kiddo! I'll tell the whole world about it. :D

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-10-04, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
1. YES, easily. A career opportunity with an MLB team? And a fat raise to boot? Bring it.

(In fact I'd think twice about working for the YANKEES on account of I may respect GS but I certainly don't wanna be his employee)

2. Parents support their kids no matter who they play for. My hitherto unconceived son up against the Yankees in the LCS and a chance to be a hero? Hammer that ball, kiddo! I'll tell the whole world about it. :D

I agree with everything you just said...But I didn't feel like typing it...

Doc's Private Stash
06-10-04, 12:43 PM
I couldn't bring myself to accept a job like that. In fact, I'd probably turn it around and try to use it to my advantage with the Sox..."Well Theo, the Yanks offered me this much money to work for them, you guys suuuure you don't have an opening?"

As for the theoretical situation...would it make me a bad parent if I hoped for a line drive up the gap with the tying run-to-be getting thrown out at home trying to score from 1st? :)

WakefieldsCrewSox
06-10-04, 12:45 PM
1. Never
2. Absolutely

Hitman23
06-10-04, 01:00 PM
1) I love baseball. If I ever had the chance to have a job in the industry I'd take it. Even if it were in Montreal. I'd have a hard time showing my true colors if I was in the Sox organization though. But I'd deal with it to do something that I loved for a living.

2) Of course I would. As I've stated in the past there are only so many people in this world born with the talent to play a professional sport. If my child had that gift I would be 100% behind them no matter what colors they put on. (well, except if it were the Islanders..... man I hate them ;) )

penfold
06-10-04, 01:26 PM
I love the game so, yes I'd take a job with the Sox and hell yes I'd cheer my kid(s) on no matter what uniform they wear.

HipHipJorge
06-10-04, 02:04 PM
1. No Way

2. I'd cheer him on while wearing his name and number on a pinstriped jersey.

incarnadine
06-10-04, 03:32 PM
1. Yes. No brainer.

2. Yes. Also, no brainer.

TripleG23
06-10-04, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Doc's Private Stash
As for the theoretical situation...would it make me a bad parent if I hoped for a line drive up the gap with the tying run-to-be getting thrown out at home trying to score from 1st? :)

That sounds like a good solution to me! :D I think anyone would cheer there child on, but it would be a pretty hard loss to take.

What if Ken Griffey Jr was still on Seattle and Ken Griffey Sr was on the Reds as a coach and they met in the World Series, you know he would want his son to do well but I don't think he would want to lose. Kinda different but somewhat similar.

-Triple G

Pickwick12
06-10-04, 03:53 PM
I would work for the Sox but bolt the second the Yankees had an opening!

I would cheer for my son, no matter what team he played for.

sanfranciscojetergirl
06-10-04, 04:25 PM
1. Yes
2. Yes, I would love my son no matter what.

derekjeter916
06-10-04, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by TripleG23
1) If you were offered a job in the opposing organization, would you take it? You would be much better off in life financially then you are now, not millions and millions of dollars but much more comfortable and a great career opportunity. Only thing is you would have to cut ties with your favorite team to join the rival. Could you or would you join the competition?
Define "cut ties." I don't know what that means- I don't have any physical "ties" with them, and nobody could make me cut emotional "ties." I don't know. It depends on the job. If I was making decisions that directly impacted the Sox on the field, I probably couldn't take it. I could never work against the Yankees, and it would be horrible to take a job and then work against your employers- it would be a lose-lose situation. If it was a job as a secretary or something that has no impact on the actual games or players, that would be different. Then again, I don't think jobs like that would provide much more financial comfort or career opportunities than normal jobs, so I'm assuming you're thinking GM, etc. Keep in mind that this is purely hypothetical. I'd like to say I'd never betray the Yankees, but honestly...I'm female, and there aren't many job openings for females in baseball. If I got offered one, and rejected it, I probably wouldn't get offered another. It's easy to say no now, but if that situation ever became real I would probably say yes. I would never, EVER cut emotional ties, though, and I don't think that they could make me.

2) If you had a son who happened to make the majors, and he played for your most hated rival could you cheer on that team? Especially in a big game against your favorite team? Example, Game 7 of the ALCS, your son steps to the plate his team down 4-1, you are ONE OUT away from the World Series, bases loaded, a homerun makes your son the hero. Do you want your son to hit that HR to beat your ball club?
Again, this is really hypothetical. I'm still young myself, so I don't know how a parent would feel watching a son. I think, however, from hearing and seeing how my parents and grandparents feel towards their kids, that my son would be more important to me than my favorite team. I'd root for my son's team, and I'd root for my other team in every game except when my son was playing. I'd just really hope my son got traded. ;)

WakefieldsKnuckler49
06-10-04, 05:47 PM
1) I could never turn down a job in a big league organization, its my dream, even if it had to be for the Yankees. It could always lead to other jobs if you did a good enough job.

2) Do I even have to answer?

jojos_2
06-10-04, 09:49 PM
1. No, I wouldn't take it. While I love baseball, and the thought of working for a MLB team is very intriguing, a rare opportunity, I love the Yankees too much. I'm better off as a fan. I would definitely work for the Yankees though if I got the chance, otherwise, I'll pass. :)

2. I don't plan on having children, so hopefully I don't have to worry about such a thing. :D

SoCal Pinstriper
06-12-04, 06:51 PM
Interesting question. This scenario is being lived right now by Dodger owner Frank Mccourt, a lifelong Red Sox fan who ended up losing his bid to buy them and owning the Dodgers. Many people here still wonder where his true loyalties lie.

My answers: Yes on both counts.

patrick.o
06-12-04, 06:57 PM
Absolutely. I love the Yankees and always have, but a very limited number of people get to work for a major league organization. If it meant that I wasn't allowed to openly root for the Yanks or wear my Yankees gear, I could live with it.

Whatever team my son played for would be my favorite team. There's not even a question about it. He's my son for chrissakes, I want him to have every success and every glory possible. I can always go back to rooting for the Yankees after his career is over.

parkerstrong
06-12-04, 07:05 PM
1. If I could be a part of any baseball organization I would take it. I would do my best and hopefully be able to move to a non-rival (or Yankees) as soon as possible.
2. Yes no doubt

ConnYanksFan
06-13-04, 06:42 AM
Yes on both accounts, as hard as it might me. I just hope that if I'm lucky to have a son that is good enough to play major league baseball that it will be for the Yankees.

ForceFive
06-13-04, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by WakefieldsKnuckler49
1) I could never turn down a job in a big league organization, its my dream, even if it had to be for the Yankees. It could always lead to other jobs if you did a good enough job.

2) Do I even have to answer?

This is exactly how I feel.

Not that I'm calling anyone a liar... but for all those who have said "no" to question one... OK, yeah, I'm calling you a liar.

;)

51BWilliams
06-15-04, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Doc's Private Stash
I couldn't bring myself to accept a job like that. In fact, I'd probably turn it around and try to use it to my advantage with the Sox..."Well Theo, the Yanks offered me this much money to work for them, you guys suuuure you don't have an opening?"

Would Boras be your agent? :lol: :P

JDPNYY
06-15-04, 12:36 AM
1) I would take the job and assure George I would gum up the works wherever I could (in return for a Yankee job when the Sawx fire me)

2) I would absolutely root for my son in any situation.

nahzo
06-15-04, 05:46 PM
Great topic TripleG,

1. Yeah, of course, it would be a blast. I would sabotage things from the inside.... Heh... Seriously, it would be an offer that would be hard to not take.

2. I'd root for him, he can make great catches, hit bombs, but I'd be rooting for the team itself to lose. I win both ways... :)

WebsterMulligan
06-15-04, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Pickwick12
I would work for the Sox but bolt the second the Yankees had an opening!

I would cheer for my son, no matter what team he played for.
Exactly. Then I'd try to work a trade to get my son on the Yanks :D .

The Q Bomb
06-16-04, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by KP88
I was ready to accept this job until I saw that I'd have to cut ties with my Sox, so, no, I couldn't take this job. Here it is: I think that I am like most other (rational) Sox fans, in that I have a respect for certain players in the Yankee organization, can appreciate what they have accomplished in their history as a team, and enjoy intelligent baseball debates with their fans. But I am so invested in the Red Sox that to cut ties would be impossible. Sox fans live and die with the team- what they accomplish (and what they don't) impacts an entire Nation of people.

And without question, I would cheer for my son in that situation. I don't think I even need to explain that one.

Ditto - from a Yankee perspective. I just couldn't work for The Red Sox or The Mets. And, of course, I would cheer from my child in that situation. (Who knows - The Yankees might trade for him after that!)

Soriambi
06-16-04, 10:53 AM
I don't know if I could work for the Red Sox. Any other MLB team, I'd do it, but the Sox would be tough. It depends on the job and whether other opportunities will come up if I turned it down.

As for the second question, of course I would root for my son.

Another example of this is when Moises Alou hit a game winning homer to beat the Giants, managed by father Felipe a few weeks back. How does Felipe feel?

Qlitch
06-16-04, 12:17 PM
I would take the job, but my heart would still root for my team. As far as my son is concerned I would be happy for him.

stevethesoxfan
06-16-04, 02:50 PM
I would do both in a heartbeat. To get a job anywhere in MLB would be a great experience. And I would support my son 100%. His team would become my team.