PDA

View Full Version : Question for Sox Fans - Yankees You Like/Respect

DaBomber25
06-09-04, 06:57 PM
I as a Yankee fan do not root for Red Sox players but there are some that I respect and enjoy watching play the game. I just thought about this because I saw some of the nice things Yanks fans said about Nomar. I have a respect for the way Nomar, Ortiz, and V-Tek play the game and was just wondering which Yankees you can "tolerate" or which you enjoy watching.

MaineSoxFan
06-09-04, 07:14 PM
Players on the Yankees who I respect and if they were on another team I might even like are: Bernie, Jeter, Vazquez, Matsui, Posada and Mo. I think A-Rod is a great player but I just don't care for him. There are obviously other very good players on the Yankees but the ones listed are the ones I really respect in the way they play and handle themselves.

CrazyNY
06-09-04, 07:17 PM
I had tremendous respect for the Yankees teams of the mid to late 90s. I can't pretend I liked them, but they played the game right. I still feel that way about the players that are still left from those teams--Jeter, Williams, Rivera, etc. The new guys--Sheffield, Giambi, Brown, etc. I'm not a big fan of them. It's funny, a lot of Sox fans used to lament that the Yankees of the 90s weren't "hatable" anymore. I think players like Sheffield and Brown are helping to solve that problem. :)

KP88
06-09-04, 07:22 PM
I'll definitely go with Bernie, Matsui, and Rivera. Vazquez too. These guys do their job, do it well, and take pride in it. Can't help but respect that. I want to add that in terms of recent Yankees, there's no one I respect more than Paul O'Neill. I'll swallow my pride and admit that he personified hustle for me, and that is all I ask out of ballplayers.
Seeing the things said about Nomar on this board were nice to see as well.

cubswin
06-09-04, 07:39 PM
Respect - most: Posada, Giambi (though steroids and turnabout re. leaving Oakland are ? marks for me), Jeter (although I do think he shares some me-first attitude, while playing up the team-first image, a la Ripken -- I know that won't be a popular opinion re. either player, but so be it), A-Rod, Matsui, Bernie, Rivera, Flash, Quantrill, Vazquez; not sure re. Brown, Mussina, Sheffield -- great players, but I have misgivings - benefit of doubt, though

Like if not a Yankee: Posada, Flash, Rivera, Vazquez; maybe Muss (but misgivings...)

MightyCam
06-09-04, 08:22 PM
i gotta say, i respect very little about this team. almost all the guys i liked/tolerated are gone. i liked Pettite, Nick Johnson, Soriano

those that remain,

posada, bernie, and uh matsui (god that trick he pulled on the moster shot in the ALCS, WHAT a good trick)
they are good guys

and i agree- the 90's team was hard to hate, but any Yankee team is easy to root agianst.

Worm
06-09-04, 08:43 PM
I agree about the 90's Yanks. Top shelf, classy group of players. As far as today's team, gotta respect:

* Bernie- even though he used the Sox to get more out of George, he's the first guy I think of when the 90's champions come to mind.
* Jeter- simply for his post season success he deserves respect, and also the way he's handled the A-Rod thing.
* Rivera- greatest reliever in the history of the game, not debatable. And does it in a classy, workmanlike manner. 2001 WS hasn't blemished his legacy at all.

Former Yanks: O'Neil, Brosius, Tino, Stanton. Even as a die-hard Sox fan they were really hard to dislike. Just a terrific all around team. As much as I hated to see them win every year, it was something to behold.

DaBomber25
06-09-04, 08:44 PM
There haven't been a TON of responses yet but I gotta say that these are the Sox fans I can respect. The ones that can have an intelligent conversation about baseball and not retaliate with a "Yankees Suck" chant everytime something bad happens to the Sox.

Nice to have you guys in the Forum. :cool:

REDSOXIN2004
06-09-04, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by DaBomber25
There haven't been a TON of responses yet but I gotta say that these are the Sox fans I can respect. The ones that can have an intelligent conversation about baseball and not retaliate with a "Yankees Suck" chant everytime something bad happens to the Sox.

Nice to have you guys in the Forum. :cool:

YANKEES SUCK!!! No, just kidding. I feel that the one yankee that I respect the most is Bernie. Just the way he handles himself in a professional manner. When the Sox tried getting him ( I think in 98) I was really hoping he would sign. I also can appreciate Rivera.

Grape Ape
06-09-04, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by MaineSoxFan
Players on the Yankees who I respect and if they were on another team I might even like are: Bernie, Jeter, Vazquez, Matsui, Posada and Mo. I think A-Rod is a great player but I just don't care for him. There are obviously other very good players on the Yankees but the ones listed are the ones I really respect in the way they play and handle themselves.

Gosh, as a Yankees fan I couldn't have said it better myself. You couldn't have picked a better bunch. Especially Mo. Even Bill Simmons tipped his cap after Game 7.

Same is true for A-Rod- for years I wanted him to be saddled by that stupid contract, and I cheered when it prohibited him from going to the Sox. I just wish he'd come out and say "they threw a quarter billion at me, of course I took the money. Who wouldn't?" instead of hiding behind comments about the love of the game, etc.

All that being said, now that he's on my team, I find myself warming up to thim VERY quickly. Damn.

Damn.

Worm
06-09-04, 10:01 PM
I just wish he'd come out and say "they threw a quarter billion at me, of course I took the money. Who wouldn't?" instead of hiding behind comments about the love of the game, etc.

Grape, I think Arod pretty much did say that, I recall a press conference where he was asked about the contract and he said that he'd made it clear the call to go to Texas was an "economic decision". That's a nice way of saying the same thing really. I didn't have a problem with any of it until his "all I care about at this stage of my career is winning" comment.

That said, he's still probably the best all-around player in the game and I would've been giddy had the Sox got him.

OilCan
06-10-04, 06:10 AM
Older Yankees - Roy White, Ron Guidry, Bobby Murcer, Dave Winfield (off the top of my head).

Current Yankees - Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams

Bosox Guy in Chitown
06-10-04, 06:50 AM
I enjoy watching Bernie Williams, Matsui. Vazquez, Rivera, Posada and to some extent Arod.

I may catch flak for this, but I've never liked / respected Jeter. I understand why you would, but I can't like / respect a guy that embodies the Yanks. Plus he made a weird / funky gesture at the end of Game 5 last October that I found irritating and was surprised no one commented on following the drama surrounding Lowe the week prior.

Anyway, that's my list.

MightyCam
06-10-04, 07:23 AM
jeter doesn't do it for me either.

i mean, he cant hit as well as nomar/arod/tejada, and i don't think he is as good defensively either, so what is it about this guy? why does he get so much credit? and why is he so cocky? (not cocky in the sense that hes an a-hole, cocky in the sense that he thinks he is the greatest shortstop in the game)

oh well. not a jeter fan. AND WHY DO SO MANY CHICKS THINK HES HOT??? hes not hot. and i mean that in a purely heterosexual way.

and i don't hate him either. alot of other guys are really alot worse.

ps i don't want another Nomar vs Jeter thread. just stating my opinon about yankees i like/don't like.

ClemensFan4Life
06-10-04, 08:02 AM
I'll have to agree with most of the posters and say that the late 90's teams were tough to hate, even as a Red Sox fan. As much as I hated seeing them win, the way they played the game and stayed away from some of the pitfalls that plague today's teams was refreshing to watch.

As far as individual player on this year's team, I'd have to say Posada, Matsui, and Rivera. Quantrill, Vasquez, and Gordon are also on that list as well. These are men who come to work everyday, and don't complain about anything.

Turd Furguson
06-10-04, 09:00 AM
The Yankees that I respect for either their talent or their attitudes are;

Bernie
Jeter
Rivera
Hideki (I love his swing)

And most of all; Joe Torre That dude is 100% class.

NyMike
06-10-04, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by MightyCam

ps i don't want another Nomar vs Jeter thread. just stating my opinon about yankees i like/don't like.
Well, I don't really care either way....but the point of this thread was to talk about players you do like....and you essentially dedicated this entire post to talking about one player, and everything you don't like about him. :dunno:

hugelongtermdeal
06-10-04, 09:33 AM
current: Bernie, Matsui, Rivera

fomer: O'neil, Brosius, Pettitte, Cone, Stanton, Mendoza, Tino, Girardi

Jeter used to be on this list ... but after he opted not to volunteer to shift positions, I lost a lot of respect for him.

Alex
06-10-04, 10:58 AM
I like Garciaparra..and uh... Varitek. Unfortunately, that's about it.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-10-04, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Alex

I think this is in the wrong one...

MaineSoxFan
06-10-04, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Alex

They're not Yankees yet.

Doc's Private Stash
06-10-04, 12:06 PM
I'm extremely glad Soriano isn't a Yank anymore, because I hated having to root against him in recent years. That kid's gonna be a real special player over the next decade. Although now I'm in a similar position of having to root against Vazquez for the next 4 years, and I'm not too thrilled about that either. Kid's got nasty stuff...

I agree with the above sentiments about the late 90's teams. Guys like Brosius and O'Neill drove me nuts because they were hardworking guys who played their asses off and left everything on the field...tough to root against guys like that. I've always admired Rivera, obviously, as a phenomenal closer, and I think it's pretty tough to speak ill of Bernie Williams. One more older guy is Luis Sojo, too...one of those utility/role players who was very good at playing within himself and doing little things to help his team succeed.

Gotta give some props to my namesake Doc Gooden, too... :D

Alex
06-10-04, 12:47 PM
Sorry. I thought he was asking both sides... you know... Red Sox players I like.

WakefieldsCrewSox
06-10-04, 12:56 PM
On the whole, I have gained tremendous amounts of respect for the Yankee teams of the mid-late nineties. While all we hear about now is how the Yankees stack their team with huge names, back when they won those championships, they were simply the best TEAM in the league, hands down. Each guy may not have been the best at his position, but when you put that team on the field together they were unstoppable. One guy in particular who I hated at the time was Paul O' Neill...that was, until I realized that I hated him because of how he always seemed to hit THAT homerun against the Sox. Now I can't tell you how much I respect the guy. Last year's Sox actually reminded me a lot of those Yanks teams, and the more I thought about comparisons between the two, the more Nixon reminds me of O'Neill- absolute competitor who would sacrifice his body to win, and seems to come up huge when we need it.

As far as the current Yankees go, I'm not crazy about many of them, I'll be honest. Obviously the guys who are still with the team from those championship years (Williams, Jeter, Rivera) I can certainly appreciate, and I will always love Flash Gordon for the great years he gave us in Boston. I definately have a growing respect for Matsui as well however.

stevethesoxfan
06-10-04, 02:41 PM
I like and respect Matsui, Williams, Vasquez, Posada, Rivera. All are very professional and admirable. Also Gordon, Quantrill and Clark as they are former Sox who were great gentlemen. And I think Torre and Cashman should be given medals for dealing with Steinbrenner.

I can't stand Jeter for his selfishness in not moving from SS to let Gold-Glover ARod take the position. I don't like ARod for how he talks like a politician all the time, you never know what the truth is. Lofton's a whiner, Sheffield's been a jerk in the past and Brown is surly.

And I've never been a fan of big-mouth Reggie Jackson. I laugh when he talks about Red Sox failures when his 3-time WS champ A's got smoked 3 straight in the 75 playoffs by the Sox, and when he and his Angels had a 3-1 lead in the 86 playoffs over the Sox and choked. Reggie never seems to mention how the great Mr. October batted .192 with a .519 OPS in that series.:lol: Good ol Reg (including the 78 playoff game) was 4-7 as a player against the "lowly" Sox in the postseason, so perhaps he should let some of the other more-deserving Yanks do the bragging. :P

Zupcic
06-10-04, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by MightyCam
jeter doesn't do it for me either.

i mean, he cant hit as well as nomar/arod/tejada, and i don't think he is as good defensively either, so what is it about this guy? why does he get so much credit? and why is he so cocky?

Maybe because he was on a team that won a gazillion (+/-) World Series rings

stevethesoxfan
06-10-04, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Zupcic

Put Garciaparra, ARod, or Tejada on some of the Yankee WS teams and I think they would win just as many. Give Jeter past-their-prime Saberhagen, Offerman & Canseco and I would guess he wouldn't be regarded as such a WS hero. (Nice job, Dan Duquette! :barf: )

Having Mariano Rivera on your team can make you look pretty good.

Judge Mental
06-10-04, 04:41 PM
i haven't liked a single yankee since don mattingly, and even then it was with serious misgivings

not that i don't respect any of'em, i respect just about anybody that can perform how the yankees have performed over the past 8-9 years....liking them is a whole nother story

WakefieldsKnuckler49
06-10-04, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Zupcic

So was Shane Spencer...I'll leave it at that.

The Yankees I like/respect are Bernie, Giambi, and Matsui. Of course Torre as well, you can't help but like that guy.

sorigirl
06-10-04, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Doc's Private Stash
I'm extremely glad Soriano isn't a Yank anymore, because I hated having to root against him in recent years. That kid's gonna be a real special player over the next decade.

I'm not extremely glad. :(
But I am extremely glad that you mentioned him. :)

Originally posted by stevethesoxfan
And I think Torre and Cashman should be given medals for dealing with Steinbrenner.
:lol:

SoxFanXL
06-11-04, 05:29 PM
I like: Jose Contreras :D (as long as he stays in NY) and Mariano Rivera

Players i respect: Bernie Williams, A-Rod, Mo, Matsui

Players i HATE: DEREK JETER, Gary Sheffield, Posada, and Juicambi. They're all WAYYYY too cocky for my liking, especially Jeter. I hate his little grin and his arrogance.

pacewon
06-11-04, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanXL
Players i HATE: DEREK JETER, Gary Sheffield, Posada, and Juicambi. They're all WAYYYY too cocky for my liking, especially Jeter.

Posada... cocky? :confused:

AMC
06-11-04, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by pacewon

Posada... cocky? :confused:

I agree. :confused: Giambi doesn't seem all that cocky to me either.

Irony Of It All
06-11-04, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanXL
Juicambi

Clever... :rolleyes:

RedGlare
06-11-04, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Worm
I just wish he'd come out and say "they threw a quarter billion at me, of course I took the money. Who wouldn't?" instead of hiding behind comments about the love of the game, etc.because the players union would have his head

GreatestRivalry
06-11-04, 09:28 PM
What a great question! A lot has been said about the Yankees from the mid-90's and I'll echo those sentiments. I thought Paul O'Neil was great. I know the mainstream media would give him crap about smashing the water coolers, etc. but I'll take that anyday over a guy who strikes out and couldn't care less. I like Giambi because he seems to have a deep appreciation for the history of the game. Jeter, Posada, Bernie(who's CD I love), all of those guys play the game the way it was meant to be played. I think Tino Martinez being on the D-Rays will have a really positve impact on a very young club.

See, it's not all hate.

What's ANSKY?
06-11-04, 09:32 PM
It's nice to see such respect for some of our guys coming from you guys. I'm a baseball fan before I'm a Yankee fan, so I can easily say that Nomar is one of the most likeable guys in the game. Calling that Boston station while on his honeymoon to profess his love for Boston was eye-opening and automatically puts him in the good-guy HOF.

Anyway, my point is that rivalry aside, baseball has some real good guys and we shouldn't afraid to root for them.

JMcNutty
06-12-04, 12:09 AM
I like this thread a lot it's a tough question for all the Sox fans out there.

First of all, from the 90's teams, I like Bernie, Pettite, Sojo, and Stanton
I was never big on O Neill, I just thought he was too much of a whiner, especially over balls and strikes.

I have to admit, even though he has always been a yankee, Rivera is one of my favorite players. I like his attitude, his pitching style (keeping batters off-balance rather than going for the K), and most of all how clutch he is in the postseason. Being a closer is pressure enough, but it's even worse in the postseason, and the way he's performed in these situations makes him, I think, one of the best closers ever. I will always root for him to choke against the Sox, but as we all know, that doesn't tend to happen very often.

However, from the current Yankees, I don't have too many favorites. I never liked Jeter, Posada, or Giambi. I like A-Rod, Gordon, and Matsui, but I I've always hated Brown and Sheffield. I kinda liked it when the yanks signed those two, it makes it that much easier to root against them.