PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Situation [Re-signing "The Big Three" -mod]

BillBuckner
06-07-04, 02:25 PM
I was just thinking... since The A's locked up Chavez for a long term deal, whats gonna happen with their "Big 3" pitchers? It's improbable that they'll be able to afford to keep all of them. I dont know how many years they have left on their contract. So does anyone know or think any of them would become a free agent? And if so how soon?

B in ALB
06-07-04, 03:29 PM
Isn't Mulder a FA next year?

Grape Ape
06-07-04, 03:36 PM
Of the three, Mulder is the one I'd love to seen in Pinstripes.

MaineSoxFan
06-07-04, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by B in ALB
Isn't Mulder a FA next year?

I believe he has another year left. I think that he and Zito have another year and Hudson has two. But I might have mixed that up. I know that none of them are free agents next year.

Irony Of It All
06-07-04, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by MaineSoxFan

I believe he has another year left. I think that he and Zito have another year and Hudson has two. But I might have mixed that up. I know that none of them are free agents next year.

I thought Hudson becomes a FA after 2005 and Mulder and Zito can become FA's after 2006.

ACPS
06-07-04, 05:45 PM
I think they'll keep two and lose one. Which one is anyone's guess. Mulder or Zito I'd say.

JeffWeaverFan
06-07-04, 05:47 PM
http://www.bluemanc.demon.co.uk/baseball/mlbcontracts.htm

Zito is under contract through 2005 and the A's have a 7 million dollar team option for 2006.

Hudson is under contract through 2004 and the A's have a 6 million dollar team option for 2005.

Mulder is under contract through 2005 and the A's have a 7.25 million dollar team option for 2006.

JeffWeaverFan
06-07-04, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ACPS
I think they'll keep two and lose one. Which one is anyone's guess. Mulder or Zito I'd say.
Judging from the stats, I think Zito is the guy they will let go.

WebsterMulligan
06-07-04, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by JeffWeaverFan

Judging from the stats, I think Zito is the guy they will let go.
I agree. Should'nt hurt them much as they'll have Duchscherer or Rheinecher to plug-in to his spot. Ahh...the luxury of having depth at starting pitching in their own system.

justin32099
06-07-04, 08:37 PM
Absolutely, Zito should be the one to go. Hudson is by far the best pitcher of the three, and Mulder is not far behind. Plus Zito has the big name (from his Cy Young), so another team would probably be willing to pay him more than he's really worth.