PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction: Yanks and Red Sox will not meet in ALCS this year

BruceCampbellKG7
05-27-04, 09:08 AM
...because the wild card will not come from the AL East. I see the wild card coming out of the west this year, since they have three contenders in Anaheim, Oakland, and Texas, who i do believe is for real this year. In my opinion there is no way that the Yankees and Red Sox meet in the ALCS again this year, because both teams simply aren't going to make the playoffs. If the Yankees or Red Sox dont win the division, they simply won't be in the playoffs.

Yes, i credit ESPN for the "fact or fiction" thing.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
05-27-04, 09:31 AM
I don't know if they will meet in the ALCS this year (anything can happen in a 5 game series) - but I do expect the AL East to hold the wild card.

Oakland is not as good as last year, and are something like 1-7 versus the Yanks and Sox thus far. Texas is a good young team, but I don't think they can go from perrenial basement dwellers to playoff team in one year. They need more pitching - both starters and pen arms. Anaheim is solid, and will likely win the west. They are also the reason that I don't think a Sox-Yanks ALCS is a lock for a repeat.

Qlitch
05-27-04, 09:33 AM
It's almost destiny.

smr15
05-27-04, 09:35 AM
I also think it'll be the wildcard from the AL East again.

I'd like to think it'll be the Yanks on top of the division, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Hitman23
05-27-04, 09:36 AM
I don't know if I can handle that much stress again this year.

Pomp
05-27-04, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Hitman23

Tell me about it. It was awful. No sleep, high stress, life put on hold. When the season started this year, I was still not ready for it. I was still burnt out.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
05-27-04, 09:47 AM

DITTO ......

I'm not proud of this, but during and after Grady's monumental brain fart last year I screamed so loud that my two dogs were afraid of me for a few hours.

BruceCampbellKG7
05-27-04, 09:50 AM
All valid points, especially about destiny and stuff, but still, Anaheim has the best record in baseball (do they still?), nobody can deny Oaklands pitching (although it hasn't shown up yet *cough* Tim Hudson in Boston *cough*) and Texas has shown they can stand up to the big boys in the AL East so far, so i do expect a tight race for the wild card with the West winning it out this year.

smr15
05-27-04, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Bosox Guy in Chitown
I'm not proud of this, but during and after Grady's monumental brain fart last year I screamed so loud that my two dogs were afraid of me for a few hours.
:lol: :lol:
Ok, that REALLY made me laugh out loud....

justin32099
05-27-04, 10:52 AM
I still think Boston and NY will meet in the ALCS. The fact that the AL West has three contenders will only hurt them--NY and Bos get more games against lesser teams (Bal, Tor, TB). Plus I think Boston and New York, once people return from injuries and snap out of slumps, are far and away the two best teams in MLB. No question in my mind. I still don't like Anaheim's hacking approach (without walking, they have to hit like crazy like they did in 2002), and Oakland's pitching staff isn't as good as it used to be. Texas is dangerous but not experienced enough and too short on pitching to contend for 100 wins, which I think both NY and Bos will get.

REDSOXIN2004
05-27-04, 10:53 AM
Lets be realistic here. Texas has no pitching and thats what wins. They will fade. Oakland has good starting pitching but bullpen sucks. They will have a hard time. The wild card will definitely be Boston or NY.

yeahimweird
05-27-04, 11:45 AM

Same here. While it would be great for the sport and the rivalry, it would not be so great for me. Shaking, headaches, and nausea...no thanks. :lol:

SINCE77 2
05-27-04, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by REDSOXIN2004
Lets be realistic here. Texas has no pitching and thats what wins. They will fade. Oakland has good starting pitching but bullpen sucks. They will have a hard time. The wild card will definitely be Boston or NY.

Agreed. Texas hitting can't carry that team much longer. Oakland has been a major disappointment this year and short of acquiring Beltran they don't have nearly enough offense.

NYYFAN
05-27-04, 12:51 PM
Both teams make the playoffs and Boston gets so psyched about playing NY in the 2nd round of the playoffs that they forget about winning the first round...:evil: :D

pacewon
05-27-04, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN
Both teams make the playoffs and Boston gets so psyched about playing NY in the 2nd round of the playoffs that they forget about winning the first round...:evil: :D

It's funny... If Eric Byrnes doesn't make a bonehead play in game 3 of last year's ALDS, the Sox get swept in their own backyard and we never see the Yankees beat them in the ALCS. That's why I love it when Sox fans say "we were so close last year". You were so close from a 3-game postseason exit too.

Sorry that's not on topic but it's what your post reminded me of.

WindRavenX
05-27-04, 03:18 PM
For real. Not to mention my fing life was on the line...I don't think I could've shown my face on campus if the Sox won...they would've strung me up along with the rest of the Yankee fans on campus!
And most likely would've burned stuff...

NDBoston
05-27-04, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by WindRavenX

For real. Not to mention my fing life was on the line...I don't think I could've shown my face on campus if the Sox won...they would've strung me up along with the rest of the Yankee fans on campus!
And most likely would've burned stuff...

college students love to burn things now. I know .....another thread...

NYYFAN
05-27-04, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by pacewon

It's funny... If Eric Byrnes doesn't make a bonehead play in game 3 of last year's ALDS, the Sox get swept in their own backyard and we never see the Yankees beat them in the ALCS. That's why I love it when Sox fans say "we were so close last year". You were so close from a 3-game postseason exit too.

Thats ok...my post is an actuallt fantasy...:lol: We could bust Boston for a whole year on that outcome...

deranged2005
05-27-04, 03:40 PM
I don't see Oakland as a contender. I'm sorry, but I don't think they are just that good.

I think, I hope Texas cools off.

Yankees and Sox will be up there, who knows. I think another Yankee-Red Sox ALCS could happen.

nahzo
05-27-04, 04:19 PM
Either the DS or the CS, depending on Anaheim's record. I'm betting the DS, for whatever reason, so I say fiction. Everyone is right though, it will be life-imposing without a doubt. But damn, if I had to do last year over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. What a rush... :)

metalboy15
05-27-04, 05:16 PM
i think we will meet the Sox in the ALCS, Anaheim is going to win the west , the white sox are going to win the central and the Yanks are going to win the east and the Red Sox Wild card... :NY:

WebsterMulligan
05-27-04, 05:45 PM
I would love to see the Yankees inflict yet another dagger into Red Sox lore. Game 7 2003 ALCS was one of the greatest games I have ever witnessed. My emotions ran from one end of the spectrum to the other, culminating in absolute joy.

On the other hand, I could not bear the thought of having my Yanks eliminated by the Red Sox. Should the Yanks get knocked out, I would prefer it be by any other team. I will be stressed no matter who the Yankees face in the playoffs.

KC
05-27-04, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by nahzo
Either the DS or the CS, depending on Anaheim's record. I'm betting the DS, for whatever reason, so I say fiction.

We can't play them in the DS. Teams from the same division can't play each other in the first round.

justin32099
05-27-04, 08:56 PM

Not to pick on you here, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. You could made a parallel argument here about any team--no one gets by without some close calls. What if the Bartman incident never happens and Prior finishes off the Marlins in Chicago? So should we say the Marlins shouldn't be calling themselves world champions, because they were so close to going out in the NLCS? The Yankees came very close to being beaten by Boston in Game 7 of the ALCS. So should we say the Yankees shouldn't be calling themselves AL champions, because they were so close to going out in the ALCS? Both of these are just as ridiculous as saying Boston isn't right in saying they were extremely close to the World Series. They were. We all saw it.

SubwayFanatic
05-27-04, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by justin32099

Not to pick on you here, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. You could made a parallel argument here about any team--no one gets by without some close calls. What if the Bartman incident never happens and Prior finishes off the Marlins in Chicago? So should we say the Marlins shouldn't be calling themselves world champions, because they were so close to going out in the NLCS? The Yankees came very close to being beaten by Boston in Game 7 of the ALCS. So should we say the Yankees shouldn't be calling themselves AL champions, because they were so close to going out in the ALCS? Both of these are just as ridiculous as saying Boston isn't right in saying they were extremely close to the World Series. They were. We all saw it.

Agreed.

That's almost like saying, "Well, if Jeremy Giambi slides into home plate, there is a chance the Yankees get swept."

It didn't happen. So why talk about it?

nahzo
05-28-04, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by KC
We can't play them in the DS. Teams from the same division can't play each other in the first round. Strike looking... For some reason the 1999 playoffs came to mind as a reference, and for the life of me I don't know why I thought the Yanks played the Sox in the DS, I forgot all about Texas. Thanks for the wake up call. :)

flutie22
05-28-04, 02:42 AM
it would be too fitting .it won't happen

Bub
05-28-04, 11:21 AM
Based upon what I've seen so far, I expect another head-on collision in the ALCS. I wouldn't want it any other way, either. Even OPEC was terrified at the mileage I got out of the last ALCS.

Gringaloca
05-28-04, 10:05 PM

Are you kiddin' me?.I live for a knock-down/drag out with the DeadSux every year!...The April games may have(?) ..(.and that's yet to be determined)....cost us HFA in the post season. Whatever!...

The Yankees will be in 'true form' for the post season..while the DeadSux will have 'spent' themselves just trying to get there!...;)

TyWebb
05-28-04, 10:06 PM

I was impressed with the way Byrnes played against us in a series earlier in the year. Then, when he did that....

I was (and still am) infuriated with him. &po'd&

On topic, I also think Tex, Oak will fade. Not deep enough. When Yanks, Boston, Ana get healthy they are the class of the league.

So, yes, it wouldn't not be untrue that the Yanks won't face Boston in the ALCS. :uhh:

pacewon
05-28-04, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by justin32099

You're jumping to conclusions... I never said the Sox weren't close to the World Series; I just hear a lot of Sox fans say they were so close to winning the ALCS and it reminds me of how close they were to being swept in the round before (we all saw that, too).

pacewon
05-28-04, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by SubwayFanatic

Agreed.

That's almost like saying, "Well, if Jeremy Giambi slides into home plate, there is a chance the Yankees get swept."

It didn't happen. So why talk about it?

Thanks for proving my point.

Leesha
05-30-04, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Bosox Guy in Chitown

DITTO ......

LOL! I know what y'all mean. I didn't feel like the off-season was long enough either. My students got to watch me go from Uber Enthusiastic Sox Fan to semi-toned down during the off-season (of like two months!).

Then in late February and into March with Spring Training, it was all Uber Enthusiastic again. Everytime my phone went off, they'd go, "Red Sox score!" Several asked me if I do this every year. Yuh huh. ;) By the end of the school year (last week), most of the kids would actually *know* the score of the previous night's game and say "Glad y'all won" or "Sorry, Ms" during my first hour class.

nufced1918
05-30-04, 05:57 PM
I think your logic is flawed, because Texas has improved and Seattle HAS to get better.

But if you don't make the WC, so be it. There WILL be baseball in Boston come October.

incarnadine
05-30-04, 07:20 PM
I think that the Wild Card will (easily) come out of the East again this year. However, I don't think that the Yanks and Sox will meet again in the ALCS.

No reason whatsoever, I just feel like one of them is going to lose in the ALDS. (Partly this is out of a sense of self-preservation; I'm not certain my nervous, cardiac, and pulmonary systems can take the stress of another ALCS like 2003. Once per lifetime is fine.)

incarnadine
05-30-04, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by WebsterMulligan
On the other hand, I could not bear the thought of having my Yanks eliminated by the Red Sox. Should the Yanks get knocked out, I would prefer it be by any other team. I will be stressed no matter who the Yankees face in the playoffs.

Agreed. If and when the Sox finally win a WS, I'll be happy for them and their fans on the sole condition that they do not go directly through my Yanks to get to the promised land.