PDA

View Full Version : Mark Bellhorn, Human Questec Machine

OilCan
04-28-04, 10:46 PM
This may or may not mean anything, but I think it's one of the strangest stat lines I've seen.

Mark Bellhorn currently leads the AL in walks, with 21.

His stats after tonight are .214/.430/.357/.788

Next in line are Frank Thomas, Shannon Stewart, Jeremy Giambi, Eric Chavez, and Carlos Beltran. People you would think would be pitched to carefully. People you would think would pick up the odd IBB along the way.

Bellhorn has the lowest BA in the top 20 walk leaders, the second lowest SLG, and the second lowest OPS, and the most K's.

Why are pitchers not throwing him strikes? (rhetorical question).

Small sample sizes are fun. :)

I just think this is really strange. Although I guess the real question would be, "Why isn't he leading off?"

Rich
04-28-04, 11:07 PM
His OBP has consistently been over 100 points higher than his AVG for his almost entire career:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5831

For different reasons, why his anyone throwing strikes to Soriano?

btw, It's <u>Jason</u> Giambi

OilCan
04-28-04, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Rich
His OBP has consistently been over 100 points higher than his AVG for his almost entire career:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5831

btw, <u>Jason</u> Giambi

Most good hitters OBP is around 100 pts higher than their avg. Looking in the top 20 for OPS last year, there's only a couple that don't. My point is he's a crappy hitter. I'm sure it will regress to the mean, but it's kind of fun to watch for now.

I agree on Soriano, I would throw him outside breaking stuff until he laid off it. I haven't seen him hit since the trade, though.

Ouch on the Giambi thing, I must have been having "what might have been" flashbacks. ;)

Rich
04-28-04, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by OilCan

Most good hitters OBP is around 100 pts higher than their avg. Looking in the top 20 for OPS last year, there's only a couple that don't. My point is he's a crappy hitter. I'm sure it will regress to the mean, but it's kind of fun to watch for now.

Good batting eye, bad hand eye coordination? (in relative terms, obviously it's several standard deviations better than a weekend warrior like me)

NJASDJDH
04-29-04, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by OilCan

I agree on Soriano, I would throw him outside breaking stuff until he laid off it. I haven't seen him hit since the trade, though.

Ouch on the Giambi thing, I must have been having "what might have been" flashbacks. ;)

Bellhorn is not a bad hitter.

OilCan
04-29-04, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by NJASDJDH

Career BA .230
Career SLG .396

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bellhma01.shtml

Admittedly, he only played one year where he had over 400 ab's, so it's harder to judge.

I really meant "crappy" in the context of the other people on that list, anyway.

/edit

I'm editing this for clarity. "Crappy" does not refer to his overall ability at the plate. "Crappy" refers to his stats, sabermetric or otherwise, in relation to the other people on the "Top 20 in walks" list.

bakntime
04-29-04, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by NJASDJDH

Yes he is. He does not HIT. Perhaps he is a good batter, having good at bats, getting on base, but he's no "hitter."

justin32099
05-04-04, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by bakntime

Yes he is. He does not HIT. Perhaps he is a good batter, having good at bats, getting on base, but he's no "hitter."

If he keeps up a .420 OBP, he doesn't need to hit. Actually, I think his ability to foul off pitches may be the reason he draws the most walks. People have said it's because he started the season batting in front of Pokey Reese, but I've seen a lot of his walks, and a large percentage of them are where he falls behind 0-2, patiently fouls off good pitches in the zone, takes every pitch that isn't in the zone, and can get take the walk. I think he has some growth to do--if he can combine that approach with a little more aggressiveness when he gets a pitch to hit, he'd be a stellar hitter.

Sabermetrics
05-08-04, 12:54 AM
I'm actually not impressed with Bellhorn's ability to foul off pitches. He leads the AL in walks AND strikeouts (typical of guys that draw a lot of walks, but still meaningful). He's drawn more walks laying off pitches then fouling off bad pitches in the strike zone. Guys that are good at fouling off pitches tend to put the ball in play more then draw walks, traditionally speaking.

The problem is that he's a dead red hitter, and pretty much always has been. The best way to ensure to throw strikes it to throw fastballs over the plate, and (See Cubs, 27 HR) when Pitchers start to do that, he looks like a lot better hitter.

NYY guy
08-30-05, 12:07 PM
This may or may not mean anything, but I think it's one of the strangest stat lines I've seen.

Mark Bellhorn currently leads the AL in walks, with 21.

His stats after tonight are .214/.430/.357/.788

Next in line are Frank Thomas, Shannon Stewart, Jeremy Giambi, Eric Chavez, and Carlos Beltran. People you would think would be pitched to carefully. People you would think would pick up the odd IBB along the way.

Bellhorn has the lowest BA in the top 20 walk leaders, the second lowest SLG, and the second lowest OPS, and the most K's.

Why are pitchers not throwing him strikes? (rhetorical question).

Small sample sizes are fun. :)

I just think this is really strange. Although I guess the real question would be, "Why isn't he leading off?"

The real question is WHY DOESN'T HE SWING THE BAT?!! He leads the league in walks and strikeouts because he just stands there like a dullard. Swing the bat Bellhorn! If you watched him play this season then you know how frusturating he is. Pad up your TV sets, you will want to bash the screen in I promise.

luckiestman
09-06-05, 05:52 PM
im glad the yanks got bellhorn, he is a nice hitter against lefties and a good obp guy from both sides

watching him play at the beginning of last year was just bizarre for me, i didnt know anything about him, and thought he was using the force to keep the ball out of the K zone

gk1272
09-09-05, 02:10 PM
Is there somewhere I can look up a player's stats regarding striking out looking vs. striking out swinging?

OilCan
09-12-05, 11:03 PM
The real question is WHY DOESN'T HE SWING THE BAT?!! He leads the league in walks and strikeouts because he just stands there like a dullard. Swing the bat Bellhorn! If you watched him play this season then you know how frusturating he is. Pad up your TV sets, you will want to bash the screen in I promise.

Actually, the real question is why you're bumping a thread from a year and a half ago? ;)

He's not even close to leading the league in walks this year.

ryanthe13th
09-13-05, 03:23 AM
Actually, the real question is why you're bumping a thread from a year and a half ago? ;)

He's not even close to leading the league in walks this year.

LOL. I was reading this thread like 'what the hell is this guy talking about?!'

OilCan
09-18-05, 03:01 AM
LOL. I was reading this thread like 'what the hell is this guy talking about?!'

But when I started it, it made perfect sense! :D