PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Predictions!!!

Ansky39
03-27-00, 04:04 PM
Season’s almost here… Inspired by my friend nome who I can’t seem to locate, I ask all to make their pre-season predictions for the 2000 Season Awards before the first pitch of the season Wednesday night in Japan… Actually, if no one objects, I’ll extend voting until Friday night, March 31, 2000, since Wednesday is only 2 days away… I will save all the predictions, and myself and my brother from another mother, BetterThanHoover, aka Jim, (you know, da boss http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ) will devise some type of reward for posters with the most accurate predictions…

Here are the categories:

<u>Athlete of the Year Award:</u>
AP award to overall Athlete of the year in ANY sport. The last Baseball player to receive it was Cal Ripken Jr. in ’95… Other notables to receive this award include Doc Gooden in ’85, Ron Guidry in ’78 & Roger Maris in ’61…

<u>CY Young Award:</u>
Awarded to Most Valuable Pitcher of each League. Last seas recipients were Pedro in the AL and Unit in the NL…
AL:
NL:

<u>Most Valuable Player Award:</u>
Awarded annually by the Baseball Writers Association of America to the mvp of each league. Last season’s winners were, Ivan Rodriguez, and Chipper Jones. Other notable past winners include, Roger Clemens in ’95, Don Mattingly in ’95, Thurman Munson in ’76, Reggie Jackson in ’73, Mickey Mantle in ’56, ’57 & ’62, Roger Maris in ’60 and ’61, Yogi Berra in ’51, ’54 & ’55, Phil Rizzuto in ’50, Spud Chandler in ’43, Joe Gordon in ’42, Joe DiMaggio in ’39 and ’41, and once again, my idol Lou Gehrig in ’36… (maybe we oughtta name it the Most Valuable Yankees Award http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )
AL:
NL:

<u>Manager of the Year BBWAA:</u>
Awarded annually by the Baseball Writers Association of America to the top manager in each league. Last season’s winners were, Jimy Williams and Jack Mckeon. Other previous winners of note include Joe Torre in ’96 & ’98 and Buck Showalter in ’94…
AL:
NL:

<u>Manager of the Year AP:</u>
Awarded annually by the Associated Press to the top manager in baseball. Last season’s winner was Jack Mckeon. Other previous winners of note include another of Mafia’s favorites, Billy Martin in ’74, ’76, ’80 & ‘81 and and Bob Lemon in ‘78…

<u>Hank Aaron Award:</u>
In honor of Mr. Aaron this award is given to the best hitter in each league, meaning the hitter with the most hits, home runs and runs batted in, in each league. Last season’s winners were Sammy Sosa with a total of 384 and Manny Ramirez with a total of 383…
AL:
NL:

<u>Hutch Award:</u>
In honor of Fred “Hutch” Hutchinson, a former pitcher and later manager for the Reds who in ’63 was diagnosed with Throat Cancer with a one year prognosis to live. Following this fatal prognosis, Hutch concealed the illness returned to his team and led through much of the season until he finally succomed to the disease. Last season’s winner was Sean Casey of the Cincinnati Reds. Other notables include David Cone in ’98, and Mickey Mantel, the first awardee in 1965…

<u>Lou Gehrig Memorial Award:</u>
Awarded annually by Mr. Gehrig’s Frat, Phi Delta Theta at Columbia, to the Baseball Player who best exemplifies the character of my idol Lou Gehrig, on and off the field… Last season’s winner was Mark McGwire. Other notables include Don Mattingly in 1993 and Tommy John in 1981…

<u>Roberto Clemente Man of the Year Award:</u>
Awarded annually to the player who best balances on the field excellence with off the field civic duty and responsibility. Last season’s winner was Tony Gwynn. Ron Guidry also won the award in 1984…

<u>Tony Conigliaro Award:</u>
Awarded annually to the baseball player who best overcomes an obstacle and continues to thrive through the adversity. After being hit in the cheek by a fastball causing permanent eye damage, Tony returned to baseball the following season to smack 20 dingers and 36 the year after that before he was forced to retire from deteriorated vision. He past away prematurely at the age of 45 in 1990, 8 years following a debilitating heart attack. Last season’s winner was former Yank Bluechip mike Lowell, who rebounded from a bout w/ cancer to have a productive season in Florida…

<u>Sportsman Of the Year:</u>
SI annual award to the best athlete in any sport based on their contributions to their game, their performance within their sport and their off the field activities. Last Baseball players to receive this honor were Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire in 1998. Another notable former winner was Joe Torre in 1996…

<u>Rolaids Relief Man:</u>
Annual award to the best closer in each league. Last season’s winners were, Tom Gordon in the AL, and Trever Hoffman in the NL. Other former winners of note include Dave Righetti in ‘87, and Rich Gossage in ’78…
AL:
NL:

<u>Silver Slugger Award:</u>
Annual award given to best hitter at his position in each league in batting average, home runs and runs batted in, and a combination of total bases. Last season’s winners in the AL were: 1B Carlos Delgado, 2B Roberto Alomar, 3B Dean Palmer, SS Alex Rodriguez, OF Ken Griffey, Jr., OF Manny Ramirez, OF Shawn Green, CA Ivan Rodriguez, DH Rafael Palmeiro…

AL:
C:
1b:
2b:
SS:
3b:
LF:
CF:
RF:
DH

Last seasons winners in the NL were: 1B Jeff Bagwell, 2B Edgardo Alfonzo, 3B Chipper Jones, SS Barry Larkin, OF Sammy Sosa, OF Larry Walker, OF Vladimir Guerrero, CA Mike Piazza, PI Mike Hampton…

NL:
C:
1b:
2b:
SS:
3b:
LF:
CF:
RF:

<u>Triple Crown Hitting:</u>
Award to the player who leads his league in home runs, batting average and runs batted in. He must lead or be tied for the league lead in each category. Considered the hardest position player award in baseball to achieve. Last winner was Carl Yastrzemski in 1967. Other notable winners include, mafia’s idol Mickey Mantle in ’56, and my idol Lou Gehrig in ’34…
AL:
and/or
NL:

<u>Triple Crown Pitching:</u>
Award to the pitcher who leads his league in wins, strikeouts and earned run average. He must lead or be tied for the league lead in each category. Considered the hardest pitcher award in baseball to achieve. Last winners were, Pedro Martinez in ’99 and in the NL Doc Gooden in ’85. Other notable winners include Roger Clemens, in ;98, and ’97…
AL:
and/or
NL:

<u>Gold Glove:</u>
Annual award to the best fielder at every position in each league: Last season’s AL winners include: Griffey, Bernie Williams, Shawn Green, Pudge Rodriguez, Scot Brosius, Omar Vizquel, Roberto Alomar, Mike Mussina, and Raffy http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
AL:
P:
C:
1b:
2b:
SS:
3b:
LF:
CF:
RF:

Last season’s NL winners include: Larry walker, Steve Finley, Andruw Jones, Robin Ventura, Rey Ordonez, Pokey Reese, Greg Maddux, JT Snow and Mike Lieberthal…
NL:
P:
C:
1b:
2b:
SS:
3b:
LF:
CF:
RF:

Divison Winners:
AL:
EAST:
CENTRAL:
WEST:
NL:
EAST:
CENTRAL:
WEST:

HR KING:
AL:
NL:

Get your picks in, and please spread the word...

------------------
a39/55, bthgaPrez, shotgun's partner in crime & orangema's favorite son...

26 in 2000

God, I LOVE baseball...

[This message has been edited by Ansky39 (edited March 28, 2000).]

JimF
03-27-00, 05:02 PM
Thank you A39, here is my first set of plans for winners.

Points will be awarded for every correct prediction. The point structure goes as follows:

Athlete Of The Year Award - 25 Points

Cy Young Award - AL or NL - 5 Points, Both - 20 Points

MVP Award - AL or NL - 5 points, Both - 20 points

Manager Of The Year Award - AL or NL - 5 points, Both - 20 Points

Manager Of The Year AP - 20 Points

Hank Aaron Award - AL or NL - 5 points, Both - 15 Points

Hutch Award - 15 Points

Lou Gehrig Memorial Award - 20 Points

Roberto Clemente MOTY Award - 20 Points

Tony Conigliaro Award - 20 Points

Sportsman Of The Year Award - 20 Points

Rolaids Relief Man - AL or NL - 5 Points, Both - 20 Points

Silver Slugger Award -
AL or NL
- 2 Points Per Position
- 35 Points For All

Both Leagues All Correct - 125 Points

Triple Crown Hitting - AL or NL - 50 Points, Both - 150 Points

Triple Crown Pitching - AL or NL - 40 Points, Both - 150 Points

Gold Glove -
AL or NL
- 5 Points Per Position
- 75 Points For All

Both Leagues All Correct - 200 Points

BONUS
- 20 Points if correct prediction is a Yankee

========

Here are my Calculations

- 860 Possible Points
<u>- 640 </u>Possible Bonus Points
- 1,500 TOTAL POINTS

Prizes and point levels To Follow.

------------------
"Just watching the game, having a Bud..."

Ansky39's Neighbor's Best Friend's 9th Cousin, Twice Removed.

Nome
03-29-00, 01:27 PM
A39,

I have been away for personal problems.

I am real happy about your post and will sibmit my predictions by Friday.

I knew that you would come through for us.

We need baseball talk. And there is not enough of it anywhere.

------------------
Nome

"The way a team plays as a whole determines it's success. You may have the greatest bunch of stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the team won't be worth a dime." George Herman ("Babe") Ruth

Ansky39
03-29-00, 02:02 PM
welcome back sir.

you're presence has been missed

hope all's well...

thank GOD baseball is back...

I also noticed the dearth of baseball smack around, but hey, won't stop me from searching the globe for every drip of baseball news I can find...

well, look forward to comparing predictions and diving head first into our first love, baseball...

------------------

26 in 2000

God, I LOVE baseball...

JimF
03-29-00, 03:08 PM
Ok Everyone- I have a new page set up which explains all the rules, points, and most importantly, the PRIZES!!

You can link to it from the Main Page, or you can click HERE (http://www.bronx-bombers.com/predictions.html).

------------------

Nome
03-30-00, 07:53 AM
a39,

you have given us a real tough challenge. I admit that my knowledge of teams other than the Yankees is wanting but here are my responses;
ATHLETE OF THE YEAR: Tiger Woods
CY YOUNG:
AL- Pettitte
NL - Maddox with Randy Johnson a close second
MVP:
AL- Jeter
NL Griffey Jr.

Manager of the YEAR:
AL- Scioscia, Anaheim
NL - Schoenwalter Diamondbacks.
AP Manager of the YEAR: Scioscia
AARON AWARD:
AL - Bernie Williams (he is going to have a monster year)
NL Griffey Jr

Hutch Award Kerry Lichtenberg, Atl.
Iron Horse award: Tino Martinez
Roberto Clemente Award: Al Leiter, Mets
Conigliaro Award: Kerry Woods
SPOTTSMAN OF THE YEAR AWARD:

John Rocker (Just Kidding), George Steinbrenner should be a strong candidate but my vote goes to Tiger again

Rolaids:
AL - Rivera
NL Benetiz

Silver Slugger:
AAL 1B Frank Thomas
2B Alomar
3BPalmer
SS Jeter
LF M<ondesi
CF Williams
RF O'Neill DH Palmiero
C Pudge

NL IB McGuire
2B Alfonso
3B Jones
SS Larkin
LF Walker
CF Griffey
RF Sosa
C Piazza

Triple Crown:
AL None
NL Griffey Jr

Triple Crown Pitcher:
AL none
NL Randy Johnson

Gold Glove (AL first then NL)
IB Martinez;Snow
2B Alomar; no choice
3B Brosius;Lowell
SS Jeter;Ordonez
LF ?;Jones
CFWilliams; Walker
RF: Green;Finley
C:Rodriguez;Girardi
P Pettitte (for his pickoffs); Maddux

As I said this is a real tough one. Thanks for the challenge. Now here are my Yankee predictions as seen through my rose colored glasses.

Team W/L: 103-59

Pettitte 24-7
Clemens 22-11
Cone 15-9
Hernandez 21-8

Player.......BA... HR...RBI

Knoblauch...295..11..82
Jeter.......334..20..95
O'Neill.....318..24..108
Williams....346..22..112
Martinez....298..31..125
Spencer.....277..18..88
Ladee.......295..17..92
Brosius.....270..8..64
Posada......265..16..72

It will be an extremely interesting year. The Yankees will beat the Mets in the WS in 5.

Till later A39

------------------
Nome

"The way a team plays as a whole determines it's success. You may have the greatest bunch of stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the team won't be worth a dime." George Herman ("Babe") Ruth

clipper
03-30-00, 08:17 AM
A couple of questions, if you don't mind:

- I think the AP awards 2 Athlete of the Year awards. Do you just want the Male?
- Didn't Mark McGwire win that award in '98?

- Your sheet doesn't include an NL Pitcher for Silver Slugger. Is that an inadvertent ommission?

- On the triple crown awards, if we guess None, and are correct, do we get points? Or are these really a "bonus" category, where there's no penalty for guessing?

- I notice you don't ask for wild card teams or post season results. I assume this is intentional (which is fine). Let us know if it was an oversight.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to participating. It should be fun.

Do you expect to let all of the participants know what everybody guessed, so we can compare (after all the entries are in, of course)?

------------------
"Does Coggins look like Bonds?" - Bill White 1975

Ansky39
03-30-00, 10:18 AM
Jim, you RULE... I like the set up...

hopefully people will get involved... it is really a very good learning experience...

you da man nomes... I'll get mine in by tomorrow...

hola clip,

thanks for the tips, I've known for a long time I ain't perfect http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif

I basically put this together on the fly so I really do appreciate the help...

anyways, I think most of your suggestions should be directed to Jim...

I will agree that yes, I did forget to include the category for nl pitcher in the silver slugger category...

re: triple crown, yeah, I think they should be like bonus ctaegories since it's easy to guess none and win points...

re: wildcards, nah i left it out intentionally...

but jim should make the final call on all...

thanks again...

------------------

26 in 2000

God, I LOVE baseball...

Nome
03-30-00, 03:20 PM
Jim,

Just two questions about your scoring. They deal with the Tripple Crown for Hitting and for Hitting. This is a difficult category to win and if someone guessed "none" for all four choices - AAL & NL - they would by percentages be correct. I hope if no one has a triple crown in hitting or pitching the response " none" would not get any points for being correct.

Thanks,

By the way, since I am the only respondant so far, I am leading.

------------------
Nome

bxny
03-30-00, 03:49 PM
Athlete of the Year Award:
Jeter

CY Young Award:
AL: Mike Mussina
NL: Jose Lima

Most Valuable Player Award:
AL: Roberto Alomar
NL: Bagwell

Manager of the Year BBWAA:
AL: Jim Fregosi
NL: Larry Dierker

Manager of the Year AP:
Larry Dierker

Hank Aaron Award:
AL: Albert Belle
NL: Jeff Bagwell

Hutch Award:
Kerry Wood

Lou Gehrig Memorial Award:
Sammy Sosa -Chicago Cubs

Roberto Clemente Man of the Year Award:
Sammy Sosa

Tony Conigliaro Award:
Andres Galarraga

Sportsman Of the Year:
Shaq

Rolaids Relief Man:
AL: Rivera
NL: Billy Wagner

Silver Slugger Award:
AL:
C: Ivan Rodriguez
1b: Tino Martinez
2b: Roberto Alomar
SS: Nomar
3b: Brosius
LF: Ben Grieve
CF: Bernie
RF: Mondesi
DH: Palmeiro

NL:
C: Piazza
1b: Bagwell
2b: Jay Bell
SS: Larkin
3b: Tatis
LF: Bonds
CF: Griffey
RF: Shawn Green

Triple Crown Hitting:
AL: Ramirez
NL: Bagwell

Triple Crown Pitching:
AL: Mussina
NL: Lima

Gold Glove:
AL:
P: Mussina
C: Pudge
1b: Tino
2b: Alomar
SS: Derek
LF: Greer
RF: Mondesi

NL:
P: Maddux
C: Lieberthal
1b: Snow
2b: Alfonzo
3b: Ventura
CF: Griffey
RF: Burnitz

Divison Winners:
AL:
EAST: Yanks
CENTRAL: Tribe
WEST: Texas

NL:
EAST: Mets
CENTRAL: Houston
WEST: D-Backs

HR KING:
AL: Palmeiro
NL: Sosa

[This message has been edited by bxny (edited April 09, 2000).]

JimF
03-30-00, 05:02 PM
Good point Nome; all point values apply ONLY to a correct PLAYER/TEAM prediction. Therefore, you have to select a player or team for your answer to be counted.

Thanks for bringing that up http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif.

Jim

------------------

Ansky39
03-31-00, 08:20 AM
hola nomes, bxny, clip and jim...

Personally, I don't mind if it's only two of us that enter the contest.. 1) it'll improve my chances of winning http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/biggrin.gif & 2) this site is really only for fans really interested in our beautiful pasttime so I'd rather have 3-4 diehards than 1,000 psuedo fans...

but that being said, I don't want to exclude anyone from participating that simply may not yet be into the swing of things again... not everyone is a 365 1/4 day baseball junkie like us na'ah mean... we have alotta REAL fans that just simply have not yet dived back in... maybe it'll take yankees opening day I dunno...

I just want to give as many INTERESTED people an opportunity to particpate in this as possible... I know the purpose of PREDICTIONS is to make them before the season... but I don't think an extra week at the max, would give anyone too much of an advantage... plus everyone that already submitted will also be able to modify their picks for an extra week as well...

so if we have a 100% consensus from the original partipants, I'd like to extend the deadline just 1 lil ole week... only w/ my brother's blessing of course... I don't need it for myself... I mean even though I'm up to my neck here at the gig, I'll have my picks in today... but I don't want to unintentionally exclude any interested fans who simply were not yet aware of it...

watcha think, go 'head lemme have it http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif

whatever you guys decide is kool lima beans, (yuk) w/ me...

later,

------------------

26 in 2000

God, I LOVE baseball...

Ansky39
03-31-00, 11:15 PM
don't hate me, work in progress gotta run habve a good weekend...

Athlete of the Year Award:
Tiger Woods

CY Young Award:
AL: El Duque
NL: Kevin Brown

Most Valuable Player Award:
AL: Jeter
NL: Mac

Manager of the Year BBWAA:
AL: Art Howe
NL: Felipe Alou

Manager of the Year AP:
Art Howe

Hank Aaron Award:
AL: Arod
NL: Guerrero

Hutch Award:
Galaraga

Lou Gehrig Memorial Award:
Bernie

Roberto Clemente Man of the Year Award:
Sosa

Tony Conigliaro Award:
Wood

Sportsman Of the Year:
Derek Jeter

Rolaids Relief Man:
AL: Rivera
NL: Hoffman

Silver Slugger Award:
AL:
1b: Thomas
2b: Alomar
SS: ARod
3b: Palmer
LF: Ledee
RF: Manny
DH: Baines

NL:
C: Piazza
1b: Bagwell
2b: Kent
3b: Chipper
CF: Griff
RF: Walker

Triple Crown Hitting:
AL: Garciaparra
and/or
NL: Walker

Triple Crown Pitching:
AL: Pedro
and/or
NL: Unit

Gold Glove:
AL:
P: Moose
1b: Tino
2b: Knobby
SS: Jeter
LF:
RF: Paulie

NL:
C:
1b: Casey
2b: Alfonzo
SS: Ordonez
3b: Chipper
LF: Edmonds
CF: Jones
RF: Griff

Divison Winners:
AL:
EAST: Yanks
CENTRAL: Indians
WEST: A's
NL:
EAST: Braves
CENTRAL: Cards
WEST: Giants

HR KING:
AL: Delgado
NL: Mac

------------------

26 in 2000

God, I LOVE baseball...

[This message has been edited by Ansky39 (edited April 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ansky39 (edited April 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ansky39 (edited April 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ansky39 (edited April 05, 2000).]

clipper
04-02-00, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the extension. I still have some thinking to do, especially about the silver slugger / gold glove / etc.

I agree that one additional week will not make a difference. I'll try to fill one in soon.

------------------

kgblues
04-02-00, 03:06 PM
Alright this was a little rushed but I'll give it a shot.

Athlete of the year
Tiger Woods

Cy Young Award
Pedro
Lima

MVP
Garciapara
Griffey

Manager of the year (writers)
Tony Muser
Felipe Alou

Manager of the year AP
Felipe Alou

Aaron Award
Manny
Griffey

Hutch Award
Gallaraga

Gehrig Award
Jeter

Clemente Award
Sammy Sosa

Conigliaro Awrd
Kerry Wood

Sportsman Award
Griffey

Rolaids relief Award
Mariano
Billy Wagner

Silver Slugger
AL
c-Rodgiguez
1b-Jason Giambi
2b -Alomar
ss- Garciapara
3b- Joe Randa
lf- Ben Grieve
Cf- Bernie
rf- Manny
dh- Palmeiro

NL
c- Piazza
1b- Bagwell
2b-Alfonzo
ss- Barry Larkin
3b- Chipper Jones
lf- Luis Gonzalez
cf- Brian Giles
rf- Vladimar Guerrero

Triple Crown
AL- Manny
NL- Larry Walker

Triple Crown Pitching
AL- Pedro
NL- Kevin Brown

Gold Glove
AL
p- Mussina
c- Pudge
1b- Tino
2b- Alomar
ss- Jeter
3b- Brosius
lf- Greer
cf-Bernie
rf- Jermaine Dye

NL
p- Mike Hampton
c- Girardi
1b- JT Snow
2b- Alfonzo
ss- Ordonez
3b- Ventura
lf- Finley
cf-Andruw Jones
rf- Larry Walker

Division Winners
AL
east- Yanks
central- Indians
west- Oakland

NL
east- Mets
central- St. Louis
west- Arizona

HR King
AL- Manny
NL--Big Mac

------------------
kg

Butnud
04-03-00, 12:55 PM
Here is my predictions for the 2000 Season:

American League:

1. Yanks
2. Indians
3. Blue Jays
4. Red Sox
5. Athletics

National League:

1. Mets
2. Braves
3. cardinals
4. Diamondbacks
5. Pirates

The Yanks and Indians fight it out in the ALCS.

Boston wins the wild card but looses to Indians.

The Mets and Braves fight it out.

Yanks and Mets go to the World Series and play all seven.

Yanks 4-3 over the Mets

those are my predictions for the 2000 Season.

------------------
Today. I consider myself the luckiest man on the face the Earth. -Lou Gehrig-

clipper
04-05-00, 06:36 AM
Hey Jim - I e-mailed you my predictions over the weekend, but I'm a bit concerned that they might not have gotten there, so I've pasted my picks here. If you DID get my e-mailed picks, I have made a couple of changes to them here (AL 1B gold glove, Clemente Award)

Male Athlete of the year: Tiger Woods (it could be an olympian, but I'm not
going to try to guess which one)

Cy Young Award: Orlando Hernandez and Randy Johnson

Most Valuable Players: Derek Jeter and Bobby Abreu

Managers of the Year (BBWA): Tony Muser and Terry Francona

Manager of the Year (AP): Terry Francona

Hank Aaron Award: Alex Rodriguez and Ken Griffey Jr.

Hutch Award: Andres Gallaraga

Gehrig Award: Derek Jeter - Gehrig's my hero, too; I used to use "2130" as
my PIN #

Clemente Award: Mark McGwire

Conigliaro Award: Andres Gallaraga

SI Sportsman of the Year: IF I can get credit (or half credit) for "A member
or members of the U.S. Olympic Team", I'll take that. If you need a specific
name, I'll go with Phil Jackson

Rolaids Relief Awards: Mariano Rivera and Ugueth Urbina

Silver Sluggers:
American League

P : n/a
C : Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Carlos Delgado
2B: Roberto Alomar
3B: Vinny Castilla
SS: Alex Rodriguez
OF: Greg Vaughn, Bernie Williams, Manny Ramirez
DH: Rafael Palmeiro

National League

P : Mike Hampton
C : Mike Piazza
1B: Jeff Bagwell
2B: Craig Biggio
3B: Chipper Jones
SS: Barry Larkin
OF: Ken Griffey, Jr., Sammy Sosa, Bobby Abreu

Triple Crown (hitting): Manny Ramirez and Ken Griffey, Jr. (since there's no
penalty for guessing -- I actually don't think there will be a triple crown
winner)

Triple Crown (pitching): Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson

Gold Gloves:
American League

P : Mike Mussina
C : Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Tino Martinez
2B: Roberto Alomar
3B: Scott Brosius
SS: Omar Vizquel
OF: Kenny Lofton, Bernie Williams, Carlos Beltran

National League

P : Greg Maddux
C : Mike Lieberthal
1B: JT Snow
2B: Fernando Vina
3B: Robin Ventura
SS: Rey Ordonez
OF: Ken Griffey, Jr., Andruw Jones, Jim Edmonds

Division Winners:
American League

New York Yankees
Cleveland Indians
Seattle Mariners

National League

Atlanta Braves
St. Louis Cardinals
San Francisco Giants

Wild Cards:
Kansas City Royals
Philadelphia Phillies
(I know you didn't ask, but the list didn't seem complete without these two)

Home Run Kings: Carlos Delgado and Sammy Sosa

Since the ballots are open for another few days, I'll keep thinking, and might
make a few scattered changes (but I'll probably stand pat with this list).

Neat contest!! Where will I be sitting?

------------------

clipper
04-10-00, 09:32 AM
So -

How many entries do we have in the contest?
Do you have any plans to release a table (maybe on an excel spreadsheet) of everybody's entries to all the contestants? I was just thinking that it might be more fun if we knew what the competition was doing, and we could "score along at home".

------------------

JimF
04-12-00, 11:04 PM
Yes clipper, you are absolutely correct. Now that the Yanks have played their home opener, I think it is time to close off this contest. I will compile a tally sheet, either in Excel as you mentioned or I will make a totally separate page on the site for the results. I'll probably get to that over the weekend, it'll give me another excuse not to do my taxes http://www.Bronx-Bombers.com/ubb/wink.gif.

------------------

clipper
05-17-00, 07:26 AM
How many participants are there in this thing?

Jim F.
10-20-00, 03:22 PM
This is just a bump of this OOOOLLLLDD Thread, the forst of the awards was announced today:

Delgado, Helton win Aaron award

October 20, 2000

NEW YORK (AP) -- Carlos Delgado, who signed a record four-year, $68 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday, and Todd Helton of the Colorado Rockies have won the Hank Aaron Award for 2000.

The award, established last year, recognizes the season's best overall hitter in each league. The winners were determined in voting by play-by-play broadcasters and color analysts for each club's radio and TV rightsholders. Points were on a 5-3-1 basis.

Delgado had 181 points in winning the AL's Aaron award. He led the league in doubles (57), total bases (378) and extra-base hits (99), while batting .344 with 41 home runs and 137 RBIs.

Chicago's Frank Thomas was runner-up with 111 points and Oakland's Jason Giambi finished third with 44 points.

In the balloting for the NL, Helton had 207 points, followed by Montreal's Vladimir Guerrero (104) and Chicago's Sammy Sosa (39).

Helton led the NL with a .372 batting average, doubles (59), multihit games (63), hits (216), on-base percentage (.463), RBIs (147), total bases (405), slugging percentage (.698), extra-base hits (103), batting average with runners in scoring position (.392) and RBI ratio (3.9 at-bats per RBI). He also hit 42 home runs.

Jim F.
10-24-00, 04:37 PM
Piazza, Thomas Named Baseball MVPs

WASHINGTON (AP) — Mike Piazza of the New York Mets and Frank Thomas of the Chicago White Sox are the choices for AL and NL Most Valuable Player by USA Today / Baseball Weekly.

Piazza was followed in the voting by Giants teammates Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent. Thomas beat out two slugging first baseman — Toronto's Carlos Delgado and Oakland's Jason Giambi.

The publication's Cy Young winners are Boston's Pedro Martinez in the AL and Arizona's Randy Johnson in the NL.

The voting was done by 10 Baseball Weekly reporters and editors.

Butnud
10-24-00, 10:16 PM
Here are my predictions.

Athlete Of The Year Award - Carlos Delgado

Cy Young Award - David Wells

MVP Award - Jim Edmonds

Manager Of The Year Award - Joe Torre, Bobby Valentine

Manager Of The Year AP - Joe Torre

Hank Aaron Award - Sammy Sosa

Hutch Award - Alex Rodriquez

Lou Gehrig Memorial Award - Catfish Hunter

Roberto Clemente MOTY Award - Al Lieter

Tony Conigliaro Award - Andres Galarraga

Sportsman Of The Year Award - Derek Jeter

Rolaids Relief Man - Mariano Rivera

Silver Slugger Award -

1st Base:
Carlos Delgado

2nd Base:
Roberto Alamar

Shortstop:
Arod

3rd Base:
Vinny Castilla

Left:
Justice

Center:
Bernie Williams

Right:
Manny Ramirez

DH:
Edgar Martinez

Triple Crown Hitting - Manny Ramirez

Triple Crown Pitching - David Wells

Gold Glove - Robin Ventura

clipper
10-25-00, 01:40 PM
Hey Butnud - great predictions. Too bad you got them in about 6 months after the deadline, Ace.

Butnud
10-25-00, 10:18 PM
No I had them along time ago. The only problem was that the 2000 Prediction forum was not open or whatever so I did not know so :p

Butnud
10-27-00, 12:45 PM
I forgot to mention,
Jim when will we know the outcome of our predictions?

clipper
03-01-01, 09:17 AM
Hey Jim? Any news on this?