PDA

View Full Version : Jason Schmidt question

nyybleachercreature
03-24-04, 11:38 PM
Im just wondering what people are expecting out of Jason Schmidt. Does anyone think he can repeat (or come close to) his numbers from last year? He had insane ERA and WHIP numbers, and has always been a really good SO guy, but seems to have been SO more batters as of the last couple of years.

tdel23
03-25-04, 12:15 PM
if he stays helathy there is no reason why he can duplicate last years performance, but health has always been an issue for him.

Irabu's Son
03-25-04, 02:12 PM
the answer to every Schmidt question is: "overrated"

chanman7483
03-25-04, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Irabu's Son

hmm.. i don't think so

since joining a winner w/ SF, he's been lights out. he averages more than a strikeout an inning and has excellent control, with a SO / BB ratio of almost 5:1(208:46). he's been injury free for the past 3 years so i don't see why his health should be an issue.

aeromac76
03-25-04, 03:54 PM

Wow, I disagree, if healthy, he is a Cy candidate...

Monkeyman
03-25-04, 05:12 PM

What is Jason Schmidt's middle name?

Babe Rules
03-25-04, 05:42 PM
David
http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sf/team/sf_player_bio.jsp?club_context=sf&playerid=121834

Originally posted by Monkeyman

What is Jason Schmidt's middle name?

nyyfanatic85
03-25-04, 06:16 PM
Overrated my ass. Jason Schmidt is right behind Prior and Wood as the top guns in the NL.

Brent
03-25-04, 09:44 PM
I dont think Schmidt is overrated, but IMO Wood certainly is. Sure he strikes out alot of batters, but he walks to many people and gives up the long ball.

Irabu's Son
03-25-04, 09:55 PM
I love when my posts get good reactions.

I'll just keep my mouth shut until the end of the year. I think he's due for a garbage season.

BroadwayBomber55
03-26-04, 01:54 PM
If Jason Schimdt goes down with a major injury and Robb Nen doesn't come back to his old form, the SF Giants are in deep trouble.

sanfranciscojetergirl
03-26-04, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by BroadwayBomber55
If Jason Schimdt goes down with a major injury and Robb Nen doesn't come back to his old form, the SF Giants are in deep trouble.

I agree on that.

BroadwayBomber55
03-26-04, 09:02 PM
Also, if Jason Schimdt goes down, who will step up for the Giants?

Kirk Rueter? Nope. "Woody" Rueter has difficulty with right-handed batters.
Ryan Jensen, Jerome Williams, and Jesse Foppert are on track to become solid starters, but they need more seasoning.

If Robb Nen goes down, F-Rod, Felix Rodruiguez may have a heavy workload as set-up man and closer since they lost Tim Worrell to FA.

Jason Schimdt and Robb Nen are two of the big keys for the Giants this season.

conehead1222
03-27-04, 12:05 AM
I like Jason Schmidt, but in all reality, the same thing can be said for a lot of pitchers. "If he stays healthy..." That seems to be a huge problem with most pitchers nowadays. Always some excuse to fail. I think Schmidt will be fine this year. Maybe not as big numbers this year, but he'll be SF's ace. If he does go down, than SF may as well kiss postseason goodbye. They've had so many changes, their team chemistry is shot to hell. It's not even like they have a lot of great players either. A lot of role players to fit around Bonds. SF is a team that is built around one person, and one person alone, and it's sad to see that. I think they should have gone out and got someone to really protect Bonds, but that hasn't happened... so SF is looking at a long season.

Monkeyman
03-27-04, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Babe Rules
David
http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sf/team/sf_player_bio.jsp?club_context=sf&playerid=121834

No... but... joke... question... overrated... middle name... nevermind.

He is one ugly dude, though.