PDA

View Full Version : D-Rays Send McGriff to Minors; Cut Other Players

TripleG23
03-24-04, 01:26 PM
Looks like Fred McGriff will have to wait for HR #500

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4594055/

Mike Williams was also cut. Could be a nice pickup for another team if he can rebound from a bad season

-Triple G

SuperMario66
03-24-04, 01:29 PM
I am pulling for him. Hopefully he can make it back this year.

ny
03-24-04, 02:12 PM
maybe their just leaving him off the trip

Pomp
03-24-04, 02:16 PM
Looks like Tino is going to get the start with McGriff gone...

YankeePride1967
03-24-04, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by TripleG23
Looks like Fred McGriff will have to wait for HR #500

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4594055/

Mike Williams was also cut. Could be a nice pickup for another team if he can rebound from a bad season

-Triple G

I'm sorry, but if you are a pitcher and are cut by Tampa Bay, I don't know what team would really want him.

TripleG23
03-24-04, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket

I'm sorry, but if you are a pitcher and are cut by Tampa Bay, I don't know what team would really want him.

Very True, but in the past he was decent so maybe he will catch on someplace but like you said it's not a good sign TB cut him

-Triple G

cubswin
03-24-04, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TripleG23

Very True, but in the past he was decent so maybe he will catch on someplace but like you said it's not a good sign TB cut him

-Triple G

I'm not sure Williams was ever that good. Always seemed overrated to me, a guy who did get more acclaim than deserved due to his save totals (not that he got a lot of acclaim or that his save #s were even that impressive).

TripleG23
03-24-04, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by cubswin

I'm not sure Williams was ever that good. Always seemed overrated to me, a guy who did get more acclaim than deserved due to his save totals (not that he got a lot of acclaim or that his save #s were even that impressive).

You know, I agree with you now. Just looked at his stats and it seems he only had one good year maybe two. Way too many walks. Good call Cubswin

-Triple G

NJOBP36
03-24-04, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket

They cut Malaska(Mark, I think) and the Red Sox picked him up. He's not a great pitcher but he's a solid lefty.

Irabu's Son
03-25-04, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by cubswin

46 saves in 2002... that's a mere 2 years ago.. I think 46 is something worth bragging about.. Mariano's only eclipsed that number once in his career.

Sixty one
03-25-04, 11:15 AM
Anyone think that Lou should pick up Erick Almonte now that he was cut by the Yanks? Who knows maybe he would develop as a major leaguer under Pinella's guidance.

Irabu's Son
03-25-04, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Sixty one
Anyone think that Lou should pick up Erick Almonte now that he was cut by the Yanks? Who knows maybe he would develop as a major leaguer under Pinella's guidance.

They have Blum/Rolls at 3B Sanchez/Lugo at SS... so I dunno...

flutie22
03-25-04, 12:19 PM
i heard on sports radio that mcgriff pretty much knew he was going to get cut all along. the d-rays were only showcasing him in ST as a show of respect for the crime dog so that he could hitch on with another team.
i also heard the reds might be interested.

SpringfieldSox
03-25-04, 12:44 PM
McGriff has to be able to catch on somewhere as a DH. This isn't Jose Canseco were talking about here.