PDA

View Full Version : Prior to start season on DL



NJOBP36
03-23-04, 08:28 PM
http://www.canada.com/sports/baseball/story.html?id=5B5240BB-0A8D-41DB-97DE-D4AB8FF9A30F

Not sure what causes an achilles injury in a pitcher but could it be because of his heavy workload?

NJASDJDH
03-23-04, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by NJOBP36
http://www.canada.com/sports/baseball/story.html?id=5B5240BB-0A8D-41DB-97DE-D4AB8FF9A30F

Not sure what causes an achilles injury in a pitcher but could it be because of his heavy workload?

I doubt that. I also think that this is a blessing in disguise, just like his run in with Giles last year.

PinstripePride
03-23-04, 08:41 PM
They're being smart. Play it safe. No rush.

FutureYankee
03-24-04, 12:48 AM
agreed, blessing in disguise

SuperMario66
03-24-04, 01:27 AM
Better for it to happen now that in August or September. Hopefully they won't rush him.

Heathnyy5
03-24-04, 03:06 AM
One can only hope that he doesn't have the same troubles that plagued Wood as a young pitcher in the Cubs organization. Wood is great now, but had some lost years due to injury problems. The Cubs have probably the best 1-5 rotation in the majors, and Prior makes them so much more dangerous than they'd be with just Wood and Maddux. However, with their stacked rotation they can play it safe with Prior until he's healthy. It would just be much better for him (and for fans of baseball who like to watch great pitchers perform) and the Cubs if the injury is nothing serious.

Achillies tendon are words that are frightening whenever they're mentioned in sports; so let's just hope it is nothing serious. I have the Cubs winning that division with the Astros winning the wild card. I also have the Cubs winning the NLCS (wither against the Stros or the Phillies) and meeting the Yankees in the series...but who knows what will happen over the course of the season. What if the Pirates rise to be the greatest team of all-time! (Unlikely, but that is why they play the season, and this one should be great from the standpoint of a Yankees fan. I can't wait for it to start).

NJASDJDH
03-24-04, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Heathnyy5
One can only hope that he doesn't have the same troubles that plagued Wood as a young pitcher in the Cubs organization. Wood is great now, but had some lost years due to injury problems. The Cubs have probably the best 1-5 rotation in the majors, and Prior makes them so much more dangerous than they'd be with just Wood and Maddux.

Wood's problem came about as a result of work load and bad mechanics, luckily for Prior, while Baker will abuse him, his mechanichs are flawless.

elston32
03-24-04, 08:18 AM
Injuries are part of the game.

Pomp
03-24-04, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by NJOBP36
http://www.canada.com/sports/baseball/story.html?id=5B5240BB-0A8D-41DB-97DE-D4AB8FF9A30F

Not sure what causes an achilles injury in a pitcher but could it be because of his heavy workload?

Wow..checking Canada.com for baseball news...can't say that I have done that.

Doc's Private Stash
03-24-04, 12:10 PM
From what I've heard, it's just general soreness in the Achilles, and not a structural problem, which is good news. They're definately playing it safe, and are correct in doing so. Achilles injuries are always annoying because they tend to get dinged very easily since the tendon is so exposed. As a result they can linger for a loooong time if not properly rested. I hope it heals quickly, I'm looking forward to this sophmore season.

NJOBP36
03-24-04, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Pomp


Wow..checking Canada.com for baseball news...can't say that I have done that.

:lol: I had heard it on ESPNEWS that he was out so I searched for an article on it. Let it be known that I'm not a frequent visitor to the site.

chanman7483
03-25-04, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by NJOBP36


:lol: I had heard it on ESPNEWS that he was out so I searched for an article on it. Let it be known that I'm not a frequent visitor to the site.

riiiight.

won't be that big of a deal. cubs rotation is rock solid.

just sucks for those who took prior in the first round of their fantasy drafts =D