PDA

View Full Version : Channel 5 News: Andy Pettitte says "his arm feels dead"

Carissa
03-17-04, 10:05 PM
Did anyone catch Sports on Fox5? My dad came to see if I did, which I didn't, and he said that the sportscaster reported Andy saying that "he feels like his arm is dead."

Anyone else catch this?

Here's his line from today:

Pitcher IP H R ER BB SO HR
A Pettitte 3-2/3 6 1 1 2 3 0

YankeePride1967
03-17-04, 10:07 PM
No, but if this is true, maybe the Yankees did know something. But I think we have to find out first.

YankeePride1967
03-17-04, 10:09 PM
High on the hits and didn't last four, but only 1 run. 8 runners in 3.2 IP is not good. But who knows. I'm going to look around. If I see anything online, I'll post it.

KC
03-17-04, 10:12 PM
Here's this:

At Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Andy Pettitte wasn't happy with his third start of the spring Wednesday and hinted he might be experiencing a "dead arm."

"I didn't feel real good today," said Pettitte, who allowed a run and six hits over 3 2-3 innings in the Houston Astros (news)' 3-2 loss to the Baltimore Orioles (news). "I made a lot of mistakes. The first two starts, I didn't work a lot. Today I got in innings and threw a lot of pitches."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040318/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_spring_training_rdp_56

KC
03-17-04, 10:15 PM
No real information, but a couple of more:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4549884/

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7184223

YankeePride1967
03-17-04, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by KC
Here's this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040318/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_spring_training_rdp_56

same article appeared on CBS Sportsline too. Isn't it a bit soon to have a "dead arm"? Isn't that more an August issue?

ring403
03-17-04, 10:17 PM
"Dead arm" is pretty common this time of year when pitchers begin to throw all of their pitches, and extend themselves into the middle innings.
That's probably all it is, but with his elbow history, you can be sure that Houston will examine Pettitte very closely.

NJASDJDH
03-17-04, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by ring403
"Dead arm" is pretty common this time of year when pitchers begin to throw all of their pitches, and extend themselves into the middle innings.
That's probably all it is, but with his elbow history, you can be sure that Houston will examine Pettitte very closely.

If I remember correctly, Pettite experienced this last year or the year before also. Not a big thing IMO.

Espinosa's Glasses
03-17-04, 10:20 PM
he could probably still throw with his nose

WindRavenX
03-17-04, 10:33 PM
Yeah I was going to say that coming back from winter break and starting up throwing again kills your arm...He'll be ok, most likely.

FutureYankee
03-17-04, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Espinosa's Glasses

thats an interesting comment.......:confused:

lol

NYYFAN
03-17-04, 11:06 PM

Exactomondo...

Rich
03-17-04, 11:23 PM
Andy who?

ACPS
03-17-04, 11:39 PM
There has to be a Roger Clemens foreplay joke in there somewhere.

BoSoxGirl75
03-17-04, 11:49 PM
I'm sure Andy is fine, his outing was not that bad. If he said his arm/shoulder hurt then it would be a different story.

I just wanted to say that I like Pettitte. I like him because he turned down the Sox offer this off season. He said he couldn't do that to the Yankees/Yankee fans. Now I don't like the fact that he rejected the Sox but the fact that he understands the rivalry. With the Sox having players that could potentially use the Yankees as a threat to get more money there was Pettitte who wouldn't even bite with what the Sox had to offer. So I just had to say that I like that about him. Who knows maybe he really wanted to go to Houston all along and that is the real reason, but I just had to add my feelings about him. Hope I'm not in trouble for getting a little off topic....

SuperMario66
03-18-04, 12:11 AM
I really do want to see Andy pitch well this season. Him have a lot of runners on base is really no surprise. It seemed like he was always in some sort of jam. I think once he gets into the groove again he will be fine.

Bluesexy's daddy
03-18-04, 12:14 AM
well I wish him well but whatever the problem is I'm glad it's not a YANKEES problem,

Heathnyy5
03-18-04, 03:34 AM
I hope it's nothing serious; if it is, then maybe the Yanks got out just in time. But if he's fine, I STILL wish he was a Yank. With him added to Mussina, Brown, and Vazquez, it would be an amazing rotation (I like the rotation the Yankees have now, too; but with Pettitte there, Contreras would be the 5, and I like Contreras; it is Lieber who worries me with his injuries and now his groin is already a problem). Pettitte, who of course was a career Yankee, brought big game experience, and of course; his left arm; something the Yankees could use. I would also have liked the Yankees rotation more if Wells had signed the minor league deal with them. It would have been a small risk for the Yankees, being incentive ladden, and to get the money Wells would have to earn it; but he had proved that he COULD earn that money in the past. The only time Wells really didn't perform in a big game was game 5 of last year's World Series; when he had to leave the game because of his back.
Pettitte (healthy) is a great boost to any rotation, and I'm happy he turned down the Sox, they weren't even an option for him, he said. He'd have gone to Houston or back to the Yankees; and he would have come back if Steinbrenner had cared enough to try for him. But if this injury turns out to be serious, then it is Steinbrenner who will come off smelling like a rose; and I think Brown and Vazquez may outpitch their counterparts, (Clemens to Brown, Pettitte to Vazquez) this year anyway. BUT if Pettitte doesn't perform well and has injury problems, the Yankees will look as if they made the right move, when in reality they didn't CHOOSE to let Pettitte go, they just blew it; thinking he'd come to them and that they could just sit back.
But then again, what will the Braves and their fans say if Sheffield's thumb keeps him from games; and if the BALCO thing won't go away? They'll be in the same position we'd be with an injured Pettitte, giving a sigh of relief that we don't have another expensive injury to worry about.
Out of the free agents the Yankees have let go of and the players the Yankees have traded; the one who they clearly gain the most by releasing was Weaver, who couldn't possibly come back to pitch in NY after the World Series (which I don't entirely blame on him, anyway; I think of Aaron Boone as the goat for game 4, as he couldn't even get the ball out of the infield for a sac fly that would have given the Yankees the lead. They'd then have brought in Rivera instead of Weaver, and if the Yankees went up 3-1; I don't think the Marlins would have strung 3 in a row off them; not with two of them at Yankee Stadium) and game 4. Nick Johnson could make the Yankees sorry they got rid of him, as could Soriano (I'm not saying the Yankees didn't get great players in return) but when you lose players who have only been Yankees and came from the Yankees farm system (Soriano played in Japan, but did spend a few years in the Yankees system) you get greedy; wanting the great players you added, AND the ones you lost. (I don't think I was alone when I said after the Arod deal, "We could get Soriano back in 2 years when he's a free agent, anyway.")
The Yankees lost 3 substantial players who had only been Yankees this offseason; Pettitte hurting the most, as the Yanks got nothing in return for him. Only the season can tell which one the Yankees will miss the most; both from what the Yankees do without them, and what the former Yankees do with their new teams. In the off-season Pettitte was missed most; but if he spends the year injured, and Nick Johnson hits 30 homeruns and bats .300 (not saying Giambi won't be great; but he could split between DH and first) then he might be the one missed most at that time, and not Pettitte. But for now, we as fans miss Pettitte most, and only the season will show how much the team will miss him too.

Irabu's Son
03-18-04, 07:22 AM

Yeah!!! If his arm is too dead, just stick a ball up one of those nostrils and sneeze.

Bub
03-18-04, 09:55 AM
Most starters experience dead arm around the end of SP, or sometimes early into the regular season, which is why you don't see too many complete games until sometime in May. Not a big deal.

RIyankee
03-18-04, 11:20 AM
Here's another link...

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2241336

Espinosa's Glasses
03-18-04, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ACPS
There has to be a Roger Clemens foreplay joke in there somewhere.

I was just thinking afterplay... like when Roger goes to bed at night on his shoulder...he probably rested on a the damaged tendon

TAG
03-18-04, 02:01 PM
That's a low blow....

I hope Andy is okay....

TAG
03-18-04, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by BoSoxGirl75
I'm sure Andy is fine, his outing was not that bad. If he said his arm/shoulder hurt then it would be a different story.

I just wanted to say that I like Pettitte. I like him because he turned down the Sox offer this off season. He said he couldn't do that to the Yankees/Yankee fans. Now I don't like the fact that he rejected the Sox but the fact that he understands the rivalry. With the Sox having players that could potentially use the Yankees as a threat to get more money there was Pettitte who wouldn't even bite with what the Sox had to offer. So I just had to say that I like that about him. Who knows maybe he really wanted to go to Houston all along and that is the real reason, but I just had to add my feelings about him. Hope I'm not in trouble for getting a little off topic....
Thanks, that means a lot coming from a Red Sox fan..He turned down your team and you are defending him, that is cool in my book...One thing about Andy he has a lot of class, I don't think George realized how much he meant to us cause George sure didn't act like he cared..He may have went to Houston but he really could have stabbed us in the back and went to Boston and he turned them down; he didn't want to hurt his fans...And no matter where he is I will always be his fan....

RedGlare
03-18-04, 03:32 PM
what was Andy's ERA last year?

flymick24
03-18-04, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by RedGlare
what was Andy's ERA last year?

4.05, i'm i remember correctly.

i liked andy as a yankee, and i wish him well in houston, just as long as he doesn't go up against the yankees in the playoffs.

in terms of the whole dead-arm thing, he'll be fine. he stated himself that he didn't really pitch in his first two game, and he had to go through his whole reperetoire in his thrid game.. so naturally, he's going to experience some discomfort.

it doesn't appear to be a major problem.

RedGlare
03-18-04, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by TAG

Thanks, that means a lot coming from a Red Sox fan..He turned down your team and you are defending him, that is cool in my book...One thing about Andy he has a lot of class, I don't think George realized how much he meant to us cause George sure didn't act like he cared..He may have went to Houston but he really could have stabbed us in the back and went to Boston and he turned them down; he didn't want to hurt his fans...And no matter where he is I will always be his fan.... Last time I checked offering more money and more years than every other bidder counted as caring. If Andy wanted George to grovel a bit... then he doesn't have the class you say.

Heathnyy5
03-18-04, 11:12 PM
Red Glare; Steinbrenner offered that at the last possible moment. Andy Pettitte is a guy who takes a lot of time to decide things. After having NO talk with the Yankees for some time, Pettitte and his family had already made up their minds for Houston. No pretend effort to sign him (and to try and trick the fans into thinking they really made a play for him) was going to work at that point. Steinbrenner botched it and he knew it; his front office people probably didn't expect Andy to sign at that point, but they had to try and make George look like the good guy. And then the worst part was the day after; George had kept Cashman quiet for a while, and then all of the sudden he's out talking to people, acting as the scape goat for George, when it was pretty apparent that Cashman and Torre were serious about going after Pettitte, but Steinbrenner wasn't. Never in a million years will Steinbrenner take the blame he deserves at points, he always finds a person to blame it on, even if that person is 10 times as smart as he is in every aspect of the game. If Cashman was the owner of the team and had George's money, the Yankees would be a better team because they'd still do all the smart moves that Cashman goes for, and yet the farm system wouldn't be in the mess that Steinbrenner let it get in. If Steinbrenner only LISTENED once in a while, Pettitte would still be a Yankee; and Vlad Gurerro might be in right in place of Sheffield.
But as for Vlad and Sheff, who knows what was right in that situation, with Vlad's bad back and all. If Vlad is great year after year in Anaheim, and Sheff bolts after 3 good years here, then Steinbrenner will again have egg all over his face; just as he did with Pettitte. But once again, he will always have someone to take the blame for him. Of all Steinbrenner's good points as an owner, how he wants to win and will spend whatever it takes; these last few years of not winning the World Series have turned George into less of an owner than he was in the dynasty of the mid to late 1990's. George should just smile and pay the checks that Cashman and Torre tell him to write.

RedGlare
03-19-04, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Heathnyy5
Red Glare; Steinbrenner offered that at the last possible moment. Andy Pettitte is a guy who takes a lot of time to decide things. After having NO talk with the Yankees for some time, Pettitte and his family had already made up their minds for Houston.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57915&highlight=pettitte

a snip

With wife, Laura, and their three children splitting their year between New York and Texas, life had gotten increasingly difficult.

He knew Laura preferred he pitch for the Astros.

"Every time we talked about it last season, I'd get tears in my eyes," Laura Pettitte said. "I wanted to be home so badly. Our kids are getting older. We had a house in New York, but it's not home. The kids didn't have a lot of friends there. But I wanted him to be happy. If he wasn't going to be happy here, I didn't want it. We just prayed so much that God would give him the peace to do the right thing."

Pettitte returned from a hunting trip to Big Bend on Saturday and, midway through his 9-year-old son's football banquet Sunday afternoon, he turned to Laura and asked for his cell phone.

"I'm going to sign with the Astros," he said.

Thus ended three weeks of what he described as soul-searching and prayer in deciding to leave the Yankees. He also knew he could get more money elsewhere, but in the end, decided to return to his hometown to make life simpler for his kids and to be closer to his immediate family.

He telephoned his agents with simple instructions: Get a deal done with the Astros.

Cashman also said that when the post season started he called up Pettitte agent and said to go find what Andy was worth on the market and then get back to him and they would get a deal done. Only he never called back. Negoitions are a two way thing. If Pettitte wanted to hear more from the Yankees, maybe he should have picked up the phone.

25Giambi25
03-19-04, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by GoRocket
High on the hits and didn't last four, but only 1 run. 8 runners in 3.2 IP is not good. But who knows. I'm going to look around. If I see anything online, I'll post it.

Doesn't Andy usually give up a lot of hits? Especially early in the game. He somehow buckles down and keeps a lot of them from crossing the plate.

Let's see how things go during the season for Andy. I hope that he does well and I have no ill will towards him. His doing well does not affect the Yankees unless they meet in the WS.

LockeMac
03-26-04, 12:00 PM
Could you imagine the call for blood that the media would have against the Yanks if they had resigned Pettite?

A "dead arm" issue is something that is quite common twice during the year, at the end of Spring Training and in August during the regular season. Considering Pettitte's history of elbow problems the Astros will be watching him closely.

Maybe the Yankees knew something...

Irascible Yankee Fan
03-26-04, 12:52 PM
I don't wish an inhury on Andy, but time will tell. Does make you wonder if the Yanks had some notion of a potential issue as others have said.

Again, I'm glad this is not a Yankee problem.