PDA

View Full Version : MLB veteran speaks out on streoids (anonymously)

NDBoston
03-16-04, 05:34 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/magazine/story?id=1759757

Compelling stuff. This issue won't die. Nice job by Buster Olney.

SuperMario66
03-16-04, 05:42 PM
This is sickening. They HAVE to do something. :mad:

BoSoxGirl75
03-16-04, 05:47 PM
I think this was a very good article. MLB needs to do something about their steroid policy. Their punishments are too weak and quite a joke. Someone needs to do something about it.

Are we allowed to guess who the anonymous ball player is?......

SuperMario66
03-16-04, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by BoSoxGirl75

Are we allowed to guess who the anonymous ball player is?......

Who's stopping you?

pacewon
03-16-04, 05:50 PM
Actually I don't think MLB has to do anything. The crazy amounts of attention this has gotten in the press, plus the whole BALCO situation HAS to be scaring guys. You think guys who juiced are still doing it as much after what's happened the past few months?

NDBoston
03-16-04, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66

Who's stopping you?

I was thinking David Wells.

He spent 2 years in AA , has kids and is near the Mexico border.

KC
03-16-04, 05:54 PM
Great article. Thanks.

BoSoxGirl75
03-16-04, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66

Who's stopping you?

I actually wanted to ask everyone who they thought the anonymous player was, but I worded it completely wrong. It really isn't as important as the content of the article though.

I do think it is going to take a star player to help get the steroid situation straightened out. The players who have star power need to stand up to Orza and Bud.

Don't all of the players understand that the guys who are taking steroids are just hurting baseball? Why let this continue any further?

Edit: Just wanted to add that when I started reading it I thought it was Schilling. But I don't see Schilling as an anonymous type of guy, he seems like he wouldn't hold back his opinions to Orza/Bud.

LoneRedSeat
03-16-04, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by BoSoxGirl75

I actually wanted to ask everyone who they thought the anonymous player was, but I worded it completely wrong. It really isn't as important as the content of the article though.

I do think it is going to take a star player to help get the steroid situation straightened out. The players who have star power need to stand up to Orza and Bud.

Don't all of the players understand that the guys who are taking steroids are just hurting baseball? Why let this continue any further?

Edit: Just wanted to add that when I started reading it I thought it was Schilling. But I don't see Schilling as an anonymous type of guy, he seems like he wouldn't hold back his opinions to Orza/Bud.

That's funny, SoxGirl, reading the quotes from the anonymous player, Schill popped into my mind as well. After reading Schill on SOSH, the similarities are definitely there - strong, declaritive voice, etc.

Given that Johnny D is the Sox MLBPA rep, Schill might have wanted to remain anonymous so as not to step on toes.

Interesting stuff.

jnewmark
03-16-04, 06:30 PM
It sounds like Schilling to me too.

NDBoston
03-16-04, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jnewmark
It sounds like Schilling to me too.

Schilling didn't stall at AA like this player.

AMC
03-16-04, 06:39 PM
Al Leiter?

ACPS
03-16-04, 06:51 PM
That's who I was thinking. The speaking style sounds a lot like his. I know Leiter had one or two bad seasons in A ball and that he has kids.

JeffWeaverFan
03-16-04, 07:17 PM
Does Leiter/Schilling/Wells dip? Does it have to be a pitcher?

Anyways, it was a very interesting article.