PDA

View Full Version : Pirates' Randall Simon trying to display more plate patience (article)

backstop20
03-15-04, 09:08 PM
Pirates' Simon trying to display more patience (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/03/14/bc.bbn.pirates.simon.ap/index.html)
Associated Press
March 14, 2004

Pittsburgh Pirates first baseman Randall Simon has never before subscribed to the theory that a walk is as good as a hit.

That could be changing this season. Simon, one of the most renowned bad-ball hitters in baseball, has displayed a more patient approach at the plate this spring and said he wants to continue his plate discipline once the season begins. ...

NJOBP36
03-15-04, 09:21 PM
Nitpicking but there is a difference between discipline and patience. Disciplined is waiting for a good pitch to hit, regardless of the count. Patience is letting a fastball down the middle of the plate go by.

YanksForLife
03-15-04, 10:39 PM
I don't care what approach he takes as long as he scores lots of fantasy points. He's one of my utility men in a league that I joined this season.

elston32
03-15-04, 10:44 PM
Let's just hope that this year Randall decides to lay off the sausages!;);)

GO :NY:!!!

NYCVirago
03-15-04, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by elston32
Let's just hope that this year Randall decides to lay off the sausages!;);)

GO :NY:!!! Rats -- I was hoping to be the first to make a joke about that, and you beat me to it. ;)

nyyfanatic85
03-15-04, 11:07 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. This man has never seen a pitch he didn't like.

SuperMario66
03-15-04, 11:21 PM
I wondered how long it would take before somebody brought up sausage... ya'll are quick. :)

Monkeyman
03-16-04, 12:14 AM
I remember when the whole "Sausage" incident occured, that douchebag PR guy said it was the most despicable thing he'd ever seen on a baseball diamond. This was, mind you, a few months after the second umpire attack in less than a year. I thought it was hilarious. The one girl trips and fall over sideways, and the sausage next to her trips over her, then the next guy is trying to help her up, but he can't because his arms are too short with the suit on, and the last guy sees this as his opportunity to dominate and just takes off.

BTW, didn't Hideo Nomo run in one of those suits once?

CalYankeeFan
03-16-04, 12:15 AM
I'm going to say it anyway

As long as there are no sausages on the plate he'll be fine.

nyyfanatic85
03-16-04, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Monkeyman
I remember when the whole "Sausage" incident occured, that douchebag PR guy said it was the most despicable thing he'd ever seen on a baseball diamond. This was, mind you, a few months after the second umpire attack in less than a year. I thought it was hilarious. The one girl trips and fall over sideways, and the sausage next to her trips over her, then the next guy is trying to help her up, but he can't because his arms are too short with the suit on, and the last guy sees this as his opportunity to dominate and just takes off.

BTW, didn't Hideo Nomo run in one of those suits once?

That was funny as hell. Me and my friends were watching SC that night and about laughed our asses off:lol: :lol:

SuperMario66
03-16-04, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by nyyfanatic85

That was funny as hell. Me and my friends were watching SC that night and about laughed our asses off:lol: :lol:

I kinda felt bad for laughing, but that was freaking hilarious!! I wanna watch it again. :P