PDA

View Full Version : Gammons: Nomar & Pedro to Yankees?

Pomp
03-15-04, 01:33 PM
<B>Martinez is far more confident of his ability to get Kevin Brown money on the open market than he was last spring. Martinez expects there is nothing that George Steinbrenner would consider more priceless than Pedro in pinstripes just because of what it would set off in Lucchino. It was conveyed to Martinez's agent, Fern Cuza, that they expected to sign Garciaparra. Hmm. Nomar and Pedro are both represented by SFX. </B>

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1759946

StaceyRosie
03-15-04, 01:34 PM
Oh good Lord.

Pomp
03-15-04, 01:36 PM
Should I have put this in Yankees discussion?

StaceyRosie
03-15-04, 01:40 PM
No!!!! I was "oh good lord"ing the thought of Martinez in pinstripes! Nothing towards you Pomp!

This also stuck out from Gammons's article:

Not only has Byung-Hyun Kim had back and shoulder problems and threw 79-83 in his last outing, but former D-Backs teammates worry about him in Boston. "I don't know if he got over what happened in New York when it comes to pitching in big games," says one ex-teammate. "Every game in Boston," said a teammate, " is a playoff game."

Espinosa's Glasses
03-15-04, 01:44 PM
...hahaha baseball is getting funnier every year it seems ...its like the WWF ... join the good guy side to piss off the bad guy... haha what fun

AnskyChris
03-15-04, 02:23 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: No Pedro in NY! Please! The thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

BroadwayBomber55
03-15-04, 02:28 PM
I perfer Nomar, if the Yankees can't get Jose Vidro or Orlando Cabaera.

KC
03-15-04, 02:32 PM
I hate Pedro, but I'm not going to spit on any guy with a 1.02 WHIP.

NJASDJDH
03-15-04, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by BroadwayBomber55
I perfer Nomar, if the Yankees can't get Jose Vidro or Orlando Cabaera.

Nomar is on the decline...

WiffleWOOD
03-15-04, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by NJASDJDH

Nomar is on the decline...

that's true. if, however, he would be willing to move to 2B, he'd be a ton better than the options there now, both defensively and offensively. i just wouldn't want him on a long-term deal...something in the 3-4 year range sounds about right.

then again, i don't think any of this will ever happen...

NJASDJDH
03-15-04, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by WiffleWOOD

that's true. if, however, he would be willing to move to 2B, he'd be a ton better than the options there now, both defensively and offensively. i just wouldn't want him on a long-term deal...something in the 3-4 year range sounds about right.

then again, i don't think any of this will ever happen...

True.

NDBoston
03-15-04, 02:41 PM
If Nomar and Pedro go to the Yankees, I predict most people in Boston will care much less about baseball, and more about the Patriots.

I know this poster will.

WiffleWOOD
03-15-04, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston
If Nomar and Pedro go to the Yankees, I predict most people in Boston will care much less about baseball, and more about the Patriots.

I know this poster will.

ndboston, what is your take on this situation, practically speaking? what do you think the chances are that Boston signs both of these guys?

or maybe I should put it this way...which of the major free agents after this season (martinez, lowe, varitek, garciaparra, etc.) do you think Boston will re-sign?

NDBoston
03-15-04, 02:50 PM

ndboston, what is your take on this situation, practically speaking? what do you think the chances are that Boston signs both of these guys?

or maybe I should put it this way...which of the major free agents after this season (martinez, lowe, varitek, garciaparra, etc.) do you think Boston will re-sign?

I thought Pedro and Varitek would be signed, and Nomar and Lowe would be gone.

If Gammon's comments are true, maybe I was wrong about Pedro. the funny thing is Pedro HIMSELF mentioned he expected a paycut. Now we hear this.

Don't forget Ortiz is a free agent too. I like him as a player, but he carries 30 extra pounds tha make him Mo Vauugnesque when it comes to injuries. He is a big risk to give a long term contract.

I

WiffleWOOD
03-15-04, 02:53 PM

I thought Pedro and Varitek would be signed, and Nomar and Lowe would be gone.

If Gammon's comments are true, maybe I was wrong about Pedro. the funny thing is Pedro HIMSELF mentioned he expected a paycut. Now we hear this.

Don't forget Ortiz is a free agent too. I like him as a player, but he carries 30 extra pounds tha make him Mo Vauugnesque when it comes to injuries. He is a big risk to give a long term contract.

I

those were my thoughts exactly, especially considering the quotes from Lowe and Nomar so far this offseason. I suspect Pedro will stay, despite the recent discouraging remarks...

i forgot about Ortiz. i don't think theo is going to give him a long term deal, but I must say that every time I see him step in against us I am scared. He is a mammoth presence in the box.

hugelongtermdeal
03-15-04, 02:54 PM

i'll jump in as well

martinez - yes
nomar - yes

varitek
lowe
ortiz
- they will sign two of these three (probably varitek and lowe)

I think that there is a lot of talk and posturing on both sides ... but at the end of the day (or season) - nomar and pedro will both be back.. I'm not as worried about varitek, lowe and ortiz. All are replaceable if they make unreasonable demands.

YankeeFan1
03-15-04, 03:17 PM
It was conveyed to Martinez's agent, Fern Cuza, that they expected to sign Garciaparra. Color me confused. Who is the "they" expected to sign Nomar? The Yankees or the Red Sox? Bet you last penny that if Pedro, GS will enter a bidding war over Pedro's services if only to drive the price up for Boston. I don't think that Pedro wants to play for us, but he will leverage our potential interest to get a fat contract from Boston. If Lucchino, John Henry, et al. don't wise up and stop being cheapskates, the A-Rod disaster will look like nothing compared to having Pedro pitching in pinstripes next year in Fenway though Nomar in pinstripes would be real close.

cubswin
03-15-04, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by YankeeFan1
Color me confused. who is the "they" expected to sign Nomar? The Yankees or the Red Sox? Bet you last penny that if Pedro, GS will enter a bidding war over Pedro's services if only to drive the price up for Boston. I don't think that Pedro wants to play for us, but he will leverage our potential interest to get a fat contract from Boston. If Lucchino, John Henry, et al. don't wise up and stop being cheapskates, the A-Rod disaster will look like nothing compared to having Pedro pitching in pinstripes next year in Fenway.

"cheapskates"?! team has the 2nd highest payroll in baseball. I hope they give him a market-type offer. If he becomes a FA and George wants to pay him a ton, good for Pedro -- take the $$$. Unlike ND, I personally won't care. They can use the money to go after Morris or whoever. Not what I would prefer, but life goes on.

NDBoston
03-15-04, 03:21 PM
Color me confused. who is the "they" expected to sign Nomar? The Yankees or the Red Sox? Bet you last penny that if Pedro, GS will enter a bidding war over Pedro's services if only to drive the price up for Boston. I don't think that Pedro wants to play for us, but he will leverage our potential interest to get a fat contract from Boston. If Lucchino, John Henry, et al. don't wise up and stop being cheapskates, the A-Rod disaster will look like nothing compared to having Pedro pitching in pinstripes next year in Fenway.

They have a budget. 130 million dollars and now they are cheap skates? The Red Sox can't afford to overpay for any players and still be competitive with the Yankees.

If George throws him the money, let him go.

NDBoston
03-15-04, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by cubswin

"cheapskates"?! team has the 2nd highest payroll in baseball. I hope they give him a market-type offer. If he becomes a FA and George wants to pay him a ton, good for Pedro -- take the $$$. Unlike ND, I personally won't care. They can use the money to go after Morris or whoever. Not what I would prefer, but life goes on.

Actually, we agree. do you agree that if Pedro and Nomar ever went to the Yankees it could hurt baseball in Boston?

I think it would turn people off baseball and towards other sports.

Pomp
03-15-04, 03:28 PM

Actually, we agree. do you agree that if Pedro and Nomar ever went to the Yankees it could hurt baseball in Boston?

I emailed this story today to one of my best friends, who is a diehard Red Sox fan...

His reply:

"Looks like our baseball conversations could be over. I would never watch again."

cubswin
03-15-04, 03:28 PM

I'm sure it would have some negative effect, as it probably should. Many fans have a sense of loyalty toward the players, but there is far less loyalty back. Many fans would, IMO, realize this were Pedro and/or Nomar to go to the Yanks. Otoh, fans who care about the team and have realized that the players are mostly interested in themselves only won't give a rat's ass come the season. (Sure, I'll throw my Nomar Headlines across the room. (Like I did when Curtis Martin left the Pats for the Jets. Good call, Curtis...) And, I'll probably make a tidy profit by selling my set of Nomar, ARod and Jeter signed balls if they're all on the Yanks. But come April, it really won't matter to me.)

Btw, I think it would also push some Yanks fans further away. The friends I have who are Yankees fans invariably are annoyed with the team's current composition, having turned a successful team of farm products and valuable role players into a near All-Star team. Continue that trend w/Sox stars and they'll dislike it even more.

NDBoston
03-15-04, 03:37 PM
I was doing a little math....

Let's say the Yankees sign Pedro, Nomar and Beltran.

Pedro at 16 mill, Nomar at 15 and Beltran at 13.

they are already at 175 million next year. So you would be looking at 216 million and 36 million in luxury tax. Would 252 million be too much even for the Yankees?

Pomp
03-15-04, 03:52 PM

they are already at 175 million next year. So you would be looking at 216 million and 36 million in luxury tax. Would 252 million be too much even for the Yankees?

I have read that The Boss said he can go as high as $275 mil.

WiffleWOOD
03-15-04, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Pomp

I have read that The Boss said he can go as high as $275 mil.

where did you read this?

cubswin
03-15-04, 03:56 PM
I'd go with whatever The Onion article said.

Re. the 275 $#, I think that is a supposed "breakeven" point for the Yanks.

WiffleWOOD
03-15-04, 03:59 PM
Re. the 275 $#, I think that is a supposed "breakeven" point for the Yanks.

gotcha.

Monkeyman
03-15-04, 04:06 PM
Beltran would be nice, but I'd really be sick if I saw Pedro Martinez pitching for the Yankees. I hate that f-ing guy.

nufced1918
03-15-04, 04:11 PM
I suppose George will make Pedro a big offer since Pedro will be the MVP of the 2004 World Series.

StaceyRosie
03-15-04, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by nufced1918
I suppose George will make Pedro a big offer since Pedro will be the MVP of the 2004 World Series.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay now that's funny.

NDBoston
03-15-04, 04:24 PM
Is it me, or does my participation in a thread guarantee it's going to be locked on here?

:lol:

Yankee Bulldawg
03-15-04, 04:47 PM
Nomar yes, Pedro he** no

BoSoxGirl75
03-15-04, 04:49 PM
Does anyone really like Gammons? I don't care if he is supposedly a Sox fan I just do not like him.

Pedro - I think he will get re-signed

Nomar - I think he is gone after this year.

Tek - I think there's a chance we keep him as well, but only for the right amount of years. Shoppach is still a couple years away I think.

DLowe - We don't know what DLowe we are going to get, for that purpose only I don't see him returning. Plus, Boras is going to want ridiculous amounts of money.

Williamson - Not sure yet. Depends on how he does this year and if he is going to become a starter (like he said he wanted to do).

Ortiz - I don't think he will return because he will be too much money. I love the guy and he sure can hit, but I think paying over 5M for a DH is a bit much.

If they both go to the Yankees then Boston would not be a good place to live at that time. It would break my heart to see those guys wearing pinstripes. I think there is a slight chance Nomar would go to the Yanks, but I think the Sox won't give Pedro that chance.

Pedro has commented saying that if the Sox didn't want him anymore he would find a job, most likely in the NL to work with Felipe Alou again. When Nomar was asked about playing 2B for the Yanks, Nomar responded saying that he said he wouldn't say that he wouldn't go to play 2B for the Yanks, because he was a marketing major.(Gordon Edes of the Boston Herald said that Nomar said that, I do not know if there was a link for this).

If Pedro goes to the Yanks then I think the Sox are in deep trouble, but if Nomar goes it wouldn't be as harmful. I think Nomar's production can be replaced, but there are no other Pedro's out there on the market.

Yankee Cowboy
03-15-04, 04:50 PM

Wrong ... fist of all you have to subtract 3 salaries that they are replacing..... the acquisition of A-Rod only increased the Yankee payroll by one million after you subtract Boone,Henson and Soriano's payroll.... I understand your point but you have to look at the whole picture.....BTW..I would take Nomar but you can HAVE Pedro........ did you see him on that recent interview where he was talking about Karrim Garcia.... Pedro has no class at all...

:NY:

nufced1918
03-15-04, 04:53 PM
Pedro in pinstripes NO NO NO NO

It was bad enough living thru this

StaceyRosie
03-15-04, 04:55 PM
Heh

TannerBoyle
03-15-04, 04:56 PM

Pedro won't be WS MVP; Theo wouldn't trade him to the Yanks mid-season.

pacewon
03-15-04, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't want either. I like Nomar but he'd have nowhere to play here. His defensive style doesn't seem like it'd work too well at second base. I'd have serious concerns about Pedro's shoulder; he already can't handle a decent workload and is only getting older. Plus his character is enough to drive me away. I stick to my hopes that the Sox give him a huge 4 year contract; he doesn't pitch enough to warrant the money he'll want and he won't last 4 years either.

NDBoston
03-15-04, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Yankee Cowboy

Wrong ... fist of all you have to subtract 3 salaries that they are replacing..... the acquisition of A-Rod only increased the Yankee payroll by one million after you subtract Boone,Henson and Soriano's payroll.... I understand your point but you have to look at the whole picture.....BTW..I would take Nomar but you can HAVE Pedro........ did you see him on that recent interview where he was talking about Karrim Garcia.... Pedro has no class at all...

actually, I'm right.

I went to Dugout Dollars and eliminated Lieber and Cairo.

You can't get rid of Lofton because he is signed for next year so he needs to be traded.

The number I gave was accurate.

YankeeFan1
03-15-04, 06:52 PM
they are already at 175 million next year. So you would be looking at 216 million and 36 million in luxury tax. Would 252 million be too much even for the Yankees? No. The Yankees could pull it off. We probably don't need both Nomar and Pedro anyway, one preferably Pedro would be enough.

Who is the "they" expected to sign Nomar? The Yankees or the Red Sox? Could someone help me out? I'm still confused. Who the "they?" The Yankees or the Red Sox.

cubswin
03-15-04, 07:07 PM
Could someone help me out? I'm still confused. Who the "they?" The Yankees or the Red Sox.

I think any answer will be speculation -- it was poorly written.

-tz
03-15-04, 09:55 PM
Pedro in pinstripes NO NO NO NO

It was bad enough living thru this So ... what about his fastball? ;)

See this thread ...
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58300

sugmasterflex
03-15-04, 10:20 PM
I doubt Pedro and Nomar will be Yanks next season.

Bluesexy's daddy
03-16-04, 12:23 AM

I know this poster will.

No reason to give up ND. It hasn't happened yet. If it does happen and Boston replaces them with good players and spends wisely then you still need not give up hope. If the YANKEES can survive the departure of DiMaggio and the Sox can survive the departure of Williams than it's reasonable to asume that the Sox will continue to field good teams after Pedro and Nomar are gone.

I can see Sox fans not wanting Nomar in a YANKEES uniform but if Steinbrenner pays a bundle to Pedro than Sox fans might as well laugh it off. His health is more worrisome than K Brown's or Schilling's and his personality would not be missed in Boston. Honestly I hope I never see him in a YANKEES uniform.

SuperMario66
03-16-04, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Bluesexy's daddy

I can see Sox fans not wanting Nomar in a YANKEES uniform but if Steinbrenner pays a bundle to Pedro than Sox fans might as well laugh it off. His health is more worrisome than K Brown's or Schilling's and his personality would not be missed in Boston. Honestly I hope I never see him in a YANKEES uniform.

I would take Schill over Pedro in a second! Schilling isn't a near the jerk Pedro is and he is somewhat cool. Dude, he has a son names after a Yankee. That rules!

YANKEE MAGIC
03-16-04, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by TannerBoyle

Pedro won't be WS MVP; Theo wouldn't trade him to the Yanks mid-season.

:lol:

Yankee Cowboy
03-16-04, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by SuperMario66

I would take Schill over Pedro in a second! Schilling isn't a near the jerk Pedro is and he is somewhat cool. Dude, he has a son names after a Yankee. That rules!

Who did he name his son after??
Schilling always wanted to be a Yankee... too bad it didn't work out

"People say the Yankees buy championships but that's bull****...more than half their team is homegrown...Those guys draft their own players and they keep their own players...not only that but they treat the guys they bring in like home grown talent...the truth is Steinbrenner just gets it and knows how to win."- Curt Schilling

:NY: :NY:

Pomp
03-16-04, 07:47 AM

Schilling always wanted to be a Yankee... too bad it didn't work out

"People say the Yankees buy championships but that's bull****...more than half their team is homegrown...Those guys draft their own players and they keep their own players...not only that but they treat the guys they bring in like home grown talent...the truth is Steinbrenner just gets it and knows how to win."- Curt Schilling

:NY: :NY:

Do you have a link to that Curt Schilling quote?

cubswin
03-16-04, 12:05 PM
[B]

B]

I think Gehrig

SuperMario66
03-16-04, 12:07 PM

I think Gehrig

Yep. He wanted to name his girl Ruth, but his wife wouldn't let him. :p