PDA

View Full Version : Trot Nixon possibly not ready for opening day



pacewon
03-15-04, 01:05 AM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1109622

Just a thought I had... The Sox right fielder has had this thing with his back that might linger, and the Yankees right fielder has had an injury to his thumb that might linger. The Sox #5 starter is out for 2 weeks; so is the Yankees #5 starter. The guy who would fill in as the Sox #5 starter (Arroyo) got rocked in his last spring training appearance; the guy who would fill in as the Yanks #5 starter (DePaula) got rocked in his last spring training appearance.

SuperMario66
03-15-04, 01:10 AM
Weird. What do you think it means? ;)

BoSoxGirl75
03-15-04, 01:46 AM
Nixon has been sidelined since late February, when the pain in his upper left leg led to the discovery of a slightly bulging disc in his back. The right fielder received an anti-inflammatory injection last week, which hastened his recovery and allowed him to resume cardio activity. He is expected to begin taking swings in the batting cage tomorrow and hopes to be playing in games within a week.

"All I've got now is stiffness at times and that could be because the muscles on the left side are tight," Nixon said. "But it's not the dull, aching pain that I'd had all the time."

The team's medical staff cautioned him that he may be prone to recurrences of the problem in the future.

"Doc said it may never come back but it might come back in a week or it might come back in the middle of the year," Nixon said. "If it does, that (injection) procedure can be done again."

Link:
http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=28791

nyyfanatic85
03-15-04, 01:49 AM
That's too bad, the pain's gotta be a real bitch. Get better Trot.

pacewon
03-15-04, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by nyyfanatic85
That's too bad, the pain's gotta be a real bitch. Get better Trot.

My dad's friend has 3 bulging discs in his back. Says it's pain he wouldn't wish on anybody

ACPS
03-15-04, 02:16 AM
Bummer.

Rich
03-15-04, 02:18 AM
Good thing he signed a new contract.

deranged2005
03-15-04, 05:09 PM
It'll be a big blow to the Sox, he murdered right handers last year.

the colonel
03-17-04, 04:31 PM
definitely a blow for the sox, hopefully he gets better for games against the yanks cause he usually kills them.

flutie22
03-17-04, 04:37 PM
it said in the boston papers today that manny might shift to right and millar would probably be in left if trot's not ready to go

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=614

the colonel
03-17-04, 04:58 PM
Personally I wouldn't want to see Manny switch, right field in Fenway is one of the hardest positions and I can't see Manny playing it well. He's learned to play the wall fairly decently keep him there. Either put Millar in right or Kapler.

NYYFAN
03-17-04, 06:22 PM
Manny in right will be fun to watch...:lol:

NDBoston
03-17-04, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN
Manny in right will be fun to watch...:lol:

Manny played a decent LF last year, and played RF before coming to Boston. He's better out there than Millar.

hugelongtermdeal
03-17-04, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston


Manny played a decent LF last year, and played RF before coming to Boston. He's better out there than Millar.

But, he's no Gary Sheffield with the glove.

NYYFAN
03-17-04, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston


Manny played a decent LF last year, and played RF before coming to Boston. He's better out there than Millar.

I've seen Manny jump for balls that were at his feet...Right in Fenway is not easy...manny in right would be fun...:lol:

the colonel
03-18-04, 01:41 PM
We've got alot of outfield / utility guys that we can stick out there. Keep Manny in left, either Millar, Burks, Daubach, Kapler would all be better choices for right IMO.

cubswin
03-18-04, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by the colonel
We've got alot of outfield / utility guys that we can stick out there. Keep Manny in left, either Millar, Burks, Daubach, Kapler would all be better choices for right IMO.



that's right on, IMO, esp. Kapler. (Although I think it's a while before Burks can play the field, due to his elbow.)

JeffWeaverFan
03-18-04, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by deranged2005
It'll be a big blow to the Sox, he murdered right handers last year.
Yep, and he murdered us last year... I always hated seeing him come up to bat against us.

flutie22
03-18-04, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by hugelongtermdeal


But, he's no Gary Sheffield with the glove.



or the needle:D

BoSoxGirl75
03-18-04, 09:40 PM
Things are not looking good for Trot. He flew out to LA today to get a 2nd opinion. He is still having pain, and well this just does not look good at all. :(

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040318&content_id=662115&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

NDBoston
03-19-04, 10:52 AM
According to WEEI, Nixon has a slightly herniated disc and might miss 4-6 weeks.

YClipper5
03-19-04, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by flutie22
it said in the boston papers today that manny might shift to right and millar would probably be in left if trot's not ready to go

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=614

Manny in right field covering all that ground?....Yes, please!

WiffleWOOD
03-19-04, 02:51 PM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/news/bos_news.jsp?ymd=20040319&content_id=662683&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp


Trot is out until May (six weeks) with herniated disc.

Nomar should be ready by Opening Day.

Monkeyman
03-19-04, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66
Weird. What do you think it means? ;)

Its kismet. Lets all make love.

In all seriousness, this sounds sucky, and I hope he gets better soon, cuz he's a good guy and he works his butt off. I just don't want him hitting well against us. ;)

deranged2005
03-19-04, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by WiffleWOOD
Nomar should be ready by Opening Day.

Was there anything wrong with Nomar?

Sorry for getting off topic.

Monkeyman
03-19-04, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by deranged2005


Was there anything wrong with Nomar?

Sorry for getting off topic.

Sprained Achilles', I believe

Carissa
03-19-04, 06:35 PM
My father was going to have surgery recently for the same exact thing that Trot Nixon is going through. But with Physical Therapy he's going to avoid it for now. My dad was in a lot of pain, so I empathize with Trot. I always liked him.

StaceyRosie
03-19-04, 06:37 PM
Didn't Mattingly have bulging discs?

I have back problems that aren't that extreme and they still hurt like a bitch. That's really too bad.

WIZ
03-19-04, 07:47 PM
Manny should stay in LF because there is less ground to cover.Someone like Shane Spencer would be a good fit for this situation.

OilCan
03-19-04, 08:08 PM
Time to unleash the force of nature that is Gabe Kapler.

He will not be denied. You cannot defeat Kapler, you can only hope to contain him.


;)

StaceyRosie
03-19-04, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by OilCan
Time to unleash the force of nature that is Gabe Kapler.

He will not be denied. You cannot defeat Kapler, you can only hope to contain him.


;)

Mr Kotter!

Oh wait :uhh:

KeepClaussen
03-19-04, 08:24 PM
So Kapler is the everday Of now? Wouldent it make sense to make some Combo of Burks/Daubach/Millar/Ramirez play corners/DH with Ortiz at 1b or is the Defensive butchery of that trio too horrible?

GimeMoMuny
03-19-04, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by pacewon
http://forums.nyyfans.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1109622

Just a thought I had... The Sox right fielder has had this thing with his back that might linger, and the Yankees right fielder has had an injury to his thumb that might linger. The Sox #5 starter is out for 2 weeks; so is the Yankees #5 starter. The guy who would fill in as the Sox #5 starter (Arroyo) got rocked in his last spring training appearance; the guy who would fill in as the Yanks #5 starter (DePaula) got rocked in his last spring training appearance. Alot of the problems that the two teams have kinda mirror eachother... it's definitely a little weird...<p>Now the boards, on the other hand, definitely do not. I saw so many ill-willed posts directed towards Sheff and his thumb on SOSH... Get well Trot. I'd like to see the Sox get washed in their entirety!

OilCan
03-19-04, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by KeepClaussen
So Kapler is the everday Of now? Wouldent it make sense to make some Combo of Burks/Daubach/Millar/Ramirez play corners/DH with Ortiz at 1b or is the Defensive butchery of that trio too horrible?

I would be ok with Kapler in RF for a while.

Burks, I believe is having some throwing arm issue, Dauber is, well, Dauber, I could maybe see Millar in LF, but not RF. Putting Millar in LF would mean Manny in RF. While Manny used to play RF in Cleveland, RF in Fenway's a bit different. It's worse in the summer, with the sun setting right in your face, but it's not an easy field to play any time of year. Plus, you're talking about an Ortiz/Dauber platoon at first in that case. Too many people moving around.

Kapler, while no Nixon, is fast, decent glove, ok arm, etc. Other than his habit of causing mayhem by running over his fellow outfielders in his pursuit of every fly ball anywhere near him, I think he's the best bet. Obviously, it's a downgrade, but not a totally horrible one.

Missing Nixon's bat will hurt worse, imo. He crushes righties, and that's about all there is this year it seems.

bigteethkeith
03-19-04, 10:29 PM
Boston dirt dogs on nomars injury

"Is the Unsigned Shortstop's Foot His Achilles' Heel?"

LoneRedSeat
03-20-04, 04:03 PM
Injuries like those to Trot and Nomar would have absolutely decimated the Sox in years past.

Anyone remember the Grebeck/Lansing days when Nomar was injured? That was painful. Uggh.

Theo and company have done a great job of putting together a deep club, and Tito will have a number of solid options off the bench until Trot is ready to play.