PDA

View Full Version : 3nd Annual "What Month Will Pedro's Arm Fall Off?"

NYYFAN
03-12-04, 10:17 PM
3nd Annual "What Month Will Pedro's Arm Fall Off?"

Hi All,
It that time of year again. And so we ask with tongue in cheek:

"What month will Pedro's arm fall off?"

Disclaimer: "We at NYYFANS.COM wish no ill will towards Pedro, this poll is just a reflection of his fragile right arm..."

Thanks for Voting...

deranged2005
03-12-04, 10:21 PM
May.

Bozidar
03-12-04, 10:46 PM
October.. cuz i'm banking on that guy till then!!!

cubswin
03-12-04, 10:51 PM
roughly 3 weeks after Brown? ;)

Rich
03-12-04, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by cubswin
roughly 3 weeks after Brown? ;)

Are you Schilling for Pedro? ;)

(sorry, bad pun)

NYYFAN
03-12-04, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Bozidar
October.. cuz i'm banking on that guy till then!!!

Putting your own needs in front of the Yankee needs...:lol:

Thanks for moving the thread...

ruthianblast
03-12-04, 11:12 PM
come on june, earlier wouldn't be all bad; the defending champ in one of my fantasy leagues has him and I have Brown... :uhh:

SuperMario66
03-13-04, 12:07 AM
I said July - getting to that point of insane heat, the innings are starting to pile up, Pedro is getting tired of Boston. July sounds about right.

flutie22
03-13-04, 12:24 AM
As a sox fan, this poll disheartens me....i truely believe pedro will have a cy young year, like always. boo yah
I hope none of you are right, but you never know.
with or without pedro the sox still have a great rotation, and we will be alright....good times

nyyfanatic85
03-13-04, 03:38 AM
August.

GradyGump
03-13-04, 11:45 AM
July.

2-3 week stint on the DL, then back at full strength for the stretch run.

SuperMario66
03-13-04, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by GradyGump
July.

2-3 week stint on the DL, then back at full strength for the stretch run.

When was the last time Pedro was at full strength for the stretch run?

cubswin
03-13-04, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66

When was the last time Pedro was at full strength for the stretch run?

last year

Nettles dfw
03-13-04, 12:54 PM
He will be around for the end of the season.
I think he will protect his health for his next contract. This might mean he will be more willing to go on the dl or miss a start in the middle of the year. But I think he will want to be around at the end.

Bluesexy's daddy
03-13-04, 03:14 PM
For sheer fun I voted July but he is a PITCHER so who the hell knows what will happen.? Pitching is an unatural act often conducted by unatural individuals.

sdwebguy
03-13-04, 05:22 PM
October after the WS win.

StaceyRosie
03-13-04, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by sdwebguy

:lol:

ring403
03-13-04, 06:50 PM

Not possible. Boston would never deal Pedro to the Yanks. :D

sdwebguy
03-13-04, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by ring403

Not possible. Boston would never deal Pedro to the Yanks. :D

Touche' - witty reply! Seriously, I don't expect him to break down since Schlling is in the rotation now.

NYYFAN
03-13-04, 08:19 PM

Touche' - witty reply! Seriously, I don't expect him to break down since Schlling is in the rotation now.

So Curt does orthopedics too...:D

OilCan
03-13-04, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN

You think we got him just for his pitching?

;)

ACPS
03-13-04, 11:24 PM
I predicted July last year. I'm not participating this time. Looie tried to warn me. Bad mojo.

longtimeyankeefan
03-14-04, 08:03 AM
August, after which he will have shoulder surgery. The Yankees will sign him to a Jon Leiber type contract to rehabilitate in 2005, then trade him to Oakland for Mulder or Zito.

NYYFAN
03-14-04, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by ACPS
I predicted July last year. I'm not participating this time. Looie tried to warn me. Bad mojo.

Yeah, we beat Boston and went to the World Series...and who's arm failed on him in game seven...:D

sdwebguy
03-14-04, 05:19 PM

No, he has some really good pitching arm balm that he'll share.

patrick.o
03-14-04, 05:44 PM
I predict Francona will do his best to baby him and give him extra rest whenever possible and that he'll last all season.

And while I don't wish any ill on real life Pedro, I hope fantasy Pedro's arm falls off in week 19!

Monkeyman
03-14-04, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by patrick.o
I predict Francona will do his best to baby him and give him extra rest whenever possible and that he'll last all season.

And while I don't wish any ill on real life Pedro, I hope fantasy Pedro's arm falls off in week 19!

They babied him last year, and he still sucked ass in the playoffs. I have no love for Pedro, and wouldn't mind if he got hurt tomorrow. That's not because he plays for Boston, only because he's a punk who throws at people when he gets down and lies about it and hides. If one of the real men on that team like Nomar or Varitek got hurt, I'd feel bad for them.

Sub-question: If Pedro throws a pitch, and his arm actually does fly off and hit the batter, does that guy get first base?

cubswin
03-14-04, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Monkeyman

They babied him last year, and he still sucked ass in the playoffs...

Actually, he didn't.

Monkeyman
03-14-04, 08:16 PM

Actually, he didn't.

Well, I'll give you the stats to support my argument. He had an overall postseason of ERA of 4.76, and really screwed the pooch in the ALCS with an ERA of 5.65. Yeah, it would have been lower if he'd come out sooner, but it wasn't like resting him all year gave him gas to spare, and I think going deep into games in the postseason is pretty critical, and he didn't cut it.

cubswin
03-14-04, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Monkeyman

Well, I'll give you the stats to support my argument. He had an overall postseason of ERA of 4.76, and really screwed the pooch in the ALCS with an ERA of 5.65. Yeah, it would have been lower if he'd come out sooner, but it wasn't like resting him all year gave him gas to spare, and I think going deep into games in the postseason is pretty critical, and he didn't cut it.

Yeah, but I think that, as w/all small samples, the #s can be misleading. If I recall correctly, he pitched into the 7th in every postseason start, gave up 3-4 runs each time (except game 7, obviously, but even that game was well-pitched -- 2-hitter through 6?). He wasn't shutting the opponent down as you would like, but he wasn't bad, either.

WindRavenX
03-14-04, 09:43 PM
Whenever he opens his big fat mouth and says something crass about the Babe.
Which will be as soon as the Yankees hopefully start the Sox slaughter...

northern
03-15-04, 03:54 AM
Windy.....:rolleyes:

NYYFAN
03-15-04, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by patrick.o

I thought Francona had a history of pushing starters in games?

NDBoston
03-15-04, 07:17 AM

I thought Francona had a history of pushing starters in games?

He didn't have a bullpen with the Phillies.

bakntime
03-15-04, 11:28 AM

Yeah, but I think that, as w/all small samples, the #s can be misleading. If I recall correctly, he pitched into the 7th in every postseason start, gave up 3-4 runs each time (except game 7, obviously, but even that game was well-pitched -- 2-hitter through 6?). He wasn't shutting the opponent down as you would like, but he wasn't bad, either.

Not bad, no, but I don't think he exactly gave what was "expected" of the staff ace and someone that is arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

WindRavenX
03-15-04, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by northern
Windy.....:rolleyes:
A stat-fanatic can show you, every time he has said something about the Babe he has been terrible, esp. against the Yankees.
I believe the Yankees are the only team in baseball to have a near or above .500 win % against him.
I'm going on memory, so I may be off, but I know without a doubt that he has gone on the DL at LEAST twice on two seperate occasions after opening his mouth about the Babe or the Yankees' history...:D

#7forever
03-15-04, 06:19 PM
His arm will probably fall off as soon as Karim Garcia pulls it from it's
socket.

the colonel
03-18-04, 12:47 PM
If they're careful with Pedro which I think they will be he should be able to last the season with no major stints on the DL. He might miss a start or two here and there, but overall I think he should be ok. He's not as young and stupid anymore he knows he can't go out there and pitch complete games specially with teams trying to run up his pitch count. With our bullpen improved this year he wont have to worry as much about coming out of games and having them blow his leads.

As for the playoffs he was definitely running on fumes, he pitched 130 pitches or something in one of the early games and never really had time to recoop. He can't go much more than 95-100 without needing more rest, which in the playoffs you can't afford to take. He should have been taken out, but at the same time most of those hits weren't exactly frozen ropes either. They were well placed and there isn't anything anyone can do about those.

There is no reason he wont be a serious contender for the AL CY Young this year just as he is every year.

uconnhoopz123
03-19-04, 06:17 AM
june

ConnYanksFan
03-19-04, 06:32 AM
June but October would be fine with me.;) :D

Irabu's Son
03-19-04, 08:23 AM
Everyone who voted on this poll all feel bad if Pedro Martinez gets cancer like Dave Dravecky in the 80's and has to have his arm amputated.

[edit: just messing around.. crashin' the party. FWIW, I voted for September]

NYYFAN
03-19-04, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Irabu's Son
Everyone who voted on this poll all feel bad if Pedro Martinez gets cancer like Dave Dravecky in the 80's and has to have his arm amputated.

[edit: just messing around.. crashin' the party. FWIW, I voted for September]

Disclaimer: "We at NYYFANS.COM wish no ill will towards Pedro, this poll is just a reflection of his fragile right arm..."

This poll is all in fun...

Sports Goddess
03-19-04, 12:15 PM
You think we got him just for his pitching?

Maybe for his big mouth? Schilling sure pissed off a lot of people by sticking his foot in his mouth yesterday with his steroids comments.

Irabu's Son
03-19-04, 12:15 PM

This poll is all in fun...

hopefully you saw my "edit" addition in the post. I was kidding.

miko
03-22-04, 01:26 AM
July would be sweet. Let Boston fumble around and try to pick up the pieces. By the time they rest Pedro and he is ready to come back the Yanks will have the division all locked up and they will be chasing the Jays or the A's for the wild card.

Miko

P.S. I would also hate to see Bozidar lose the fantasy baseball crown over it. hehe

Rich
03-22-04, 01:38 AM
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/rivals_in_exile_2/

...and I wish Pedro's shoulder didn't provide an opportunity to have an office pool (put me down for July 20, by the way), but that's about it.

miko
03-22-04, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Rich
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/rivals_in_exile_2/

...and I wish Pedro's shoulder didn't provide an opportunity to have an office pool (put me down for July 20, by the way), but that's about it.
That is a classic! :lol:

LoneRedSeat
03-22-04, 09:53 AM
PECOTA projects:

18-4, 2.49 ERA, 191 K, 1.02 WHIP with a VORP of 70.9

Pedro's history indicates he will most likely miss a start or two throughout the season, but with a pitch count, stronger pen, and stronger rotation, it is unlikely Pedro will wind up on the DL.

PECOTA appears to agree, as they project Pedro with 185 IP in 2004.

On this poll being posted in general: poor taste.

DaBomber25
03-22-04, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by the colonel
He should have been taken out, but at the same time most of those hits weren't exactly frozen ropes either.

If you're referring to the 8th inning in Game 7 then I have to disagree. Posada's was the only "flare" of all those hits. Jeter's double, Bernie's single, and Matsui's double were all hit very hard.

NYYFAN
03-22-04, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by LoneRedSeat

Thanks for Voting...

nufced1918
03-22-04, 02:12 PM
His arm will not fall off

He will beat the Yankees 5 times in the 2004 regular season

He will also beat NYY in the playoffs assuming the Yankees make it in

Nuf Ced

LoneRedSeat
03-22-04, 02:17 PM

Thanks for Voting...

It's so very clear, having read the various threads regarding Pedro on this site, that NYYFANS.COM wish no ill will towards Pedro...

This poll is in poor taste, no matter what type of disclaimer you throw in front of it.

SubwayFanatic
03-22-04, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by miko
they will be chasing the Jays or the A's for the wild card.

Even if the Sox had an injury or two, they are still vastly superior to the Jays and A's. If you can't see that, well, I don't know what to say.

NYYFAN
03-22-04, 03:39 PM

It's so very clear, having read the various threads regarding Pedro on this site, that NYYFANS.COM wish no ill will towards Pedro...

This poll is in poor taste, no matter what type of disclaimer you throw in front of it.

So we can take it you didn't vote? :D

ny
03-22-04, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by nufced1918
His arm will not fall off

He will also beat NYY in the playoffs assuming the Yankees make it in

Nuf Ced

does he even have 5 wins against the yankees in his career.:lol:

cubswin
03-22-04, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ny

does he even have 5 wins against the yankees in his career.:lol:

he actually has a winning record against the Yanks (9-8), w/a 2.79 ERA. Not Pedro's best, but nothing to be ashamed of, either.

ny
03-22-04, 05:28 PM

he actually has a winning record against the Yanks (9-8), w/a 2.79 ERA. Not Pedro's best, but nothing to be ashamed of, either.

for a pitcher of his calibur i would consider it disapointing record if i was a sox fan. i mean he started 6 games last season and they lost 5 of them. blame the bullpen, blame the manager bottom line is yankees win games he starts.

ACPS
03-22-04, 05:38 PM

Get over it.

GoldenGlove
03-22-04, 05:51 PM
I'm going to go with the middle of August.

cubswin
03-22-04, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by ny

for a pitcher of his calibur i would consider it disapointing record if i was a sox fan. i mean he started 6 games last season and they lost 5 of them. blame the bullpen, blame the manager bottom line is yankees win games he starts.

disappointing? sure - but I'm a realist -- I don't expect him to dominate, as the Yanks are/have been one of the best teams in baseball since he joined the Sox, and he's often facing the likes of Mussina. The disconnect b/t ERA and W/L is partial evidence of all of that.

miko
03-22-04, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by nufced1918

I'll take that bet.