PDA

View Full Version : Damon - Change in approach / effects on Sox?

cubswin
03-12-04, 12:18 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/03/11/disputing_party_line/

"...In Damon's statistically best season, he hit .327 with a .382 on-base percentage and led the league with 136 runs for the Royals in 2000. His batting style then was "see ball, hit ball," he said. But he moved to Oakland in 2001 and was trained to follow the A's philosophy of working deep into counts to help improve on-base percentage and knock out opposing pitchers. He struggled badly with the adjustment, yet he has adhered to the philosophy ever since. He suggested the strategy has worked, helping the A's win 102 games in 2001, and the Sox win 93 games in 2002 and 95 games last year.

"I would like to get on base as much as you can," Damon said. "The last couple of years, I put myself in a bind as far as average and my OPS [on-base and slugging percentage] because I go up there and take and take and take, trying to wear out the other pitchers, kind of like Oakland's philosophy. It's definitely a lot harder to hit when you pattern your game around taking pitches."

Damon saw more pitches last year (2,850) than any player in the league except his former A's teammate, Jason Giambi (2,916). ... But he indicated he will alter his approach this season..."

NJOBP36
03-12-04, 12:22 AM
Except in rare situations, I don't agree with already knowing your're going to take the pitche. If you can smash the ball, swing regardless of the count. If it's outside the zone, let it go. If it's borderline, ideally you could foul it off but otherwise take it or swing depending on the count. For example, if theres two strikes you have no choice other than to swing at borderline pitches.

sdwebguy
03-12-04, 01:48 AM
If Damon can increase his on base percentage by taking more swings, it could have a dramatic effect on the Red Sox scoring runs, especially with the batting order behind him.

Irabu's Son
03-12-04, 07:03 AM
My advice to Damon: swing at more pitches if you want, but don't lose that Neanderthal look.

smr15
03-12-04, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by sdwebguy
If Damon can increase his on base percentage by taking more swings, it could have a dramatic effect on the Red Sox scoring runs, especially with the batting order behind him.
I don't think there was much wrong with the number of runs the Sox scored last year !! They were THE offensive machine. :)

What they lacked was a little more pitching, and they got that in the off season.

I'm not sure why Damon's looking to change what he does, but can't fault a player who looks to do as much for his team as he can.

SuperMario66
03-12-04, 09:42 AM
I watched him play a lot when he was in KC and you can definitely tell that he takes a much different approach now. The entire AB is completely different. I am not saying that he is wrong, but things have changed.