PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Boone on Red Sox fans

Pomp
03-07-04, 10:32 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/16852.htm

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=581

This article was written by a Boston Herald writer.

<B>Good-natured heckling, he said, has been replaced by nastiness, which was never more evident than in the ALCS at Fenway Park. Boone said he was stunned by the verbal abuse and threats he and his Yankees teammates received.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," he said, declining to elaborate. "It was crazy, sick stuff." </B>

This has been talked about on the board before...comparisons between Yankee fans and Red Sox fans...

I know ND and cubswin may take offense to this and I know they aren't representative of this, but I think this article really speaks to the environment at Fenway and shows why the city of Boston has been having a problem with kids flipping over cars, setting things on fire, etc...

The 18-30 year old (primarily college kids) in the Boston area are really starting to give Red Sox fans a bad name. It is becoming much more violent due to these frat kids.

SuperMario66
03-07-04, 11:58 AM
I am telling you right now, in all honesty, I am scared to walk around Boston wearing anything that even remotely looks like Yankees apparell. They are just brutal. Maybe it's just because I am looking at it from a Yankee fans perspective, but I don't see us being quite that harsh.

ny
03-07-04, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66
I am telling you right now, in all honesty, I am scared to walk around Boston wearing anything that even remotely looks like Yankees apparell. They are just brutal. Maybe it's just because I am looking at it from a Yankee fans perspective, but I don't see us being quite that harsh.

i wouldnt be. im sure there are a few sox fans who might start some trouble but imo its no different than the bronx.

NDBoston
03-07-04, 12:29 PM
Boone played on the Yankees for 50 games and he is now the expert on this rivalry?

He forgets what the 70's were like with Munson,Pinella, Lee and Fisk.

He forgets the standing ovation Red Sox fans gave Joe Torre after he came back from cancer treatments.

I agree wholeheartedly on the college student comments. However, this is a problem nationwide. These problems happen at Notheastern and Michigan State as well as SUNY-Oneonta. It's unrelated to being Red Sox or Yankee fans. I wish I had an explanation for why these things seem to be happening recently.

We can go on and on what the atmosphere is like in Yankee Stadium or Fenway for oppposing fans. Both aren't good sometimes. It's a passionate rivalry and some people get too caught up into it.

SuperMario66
03-07-04, 12:41 PM
Well said ND. You make good points.

Bluesexy's daddy
03-07-04, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston
Boone played on the Yankees for 50 games and he is now the expert on this rivalry?

Where did Boone say he was an expert on this rivalry? For that matter how many games have you played for the Redsox or YANKEES. I don't think you have to play any to have an opinion about this but your statement indicates that because Boone only played 50 games for the YANKEES (50 more than you or I) his observations are not valid. Would he have to play 100 games, a thousand games, or two thousand games before his opinion was valid? Admit it if you can ND, since you are a Sox fan and his statements bother you it wouldn't matter if he played for the YANKEES for 15 years and the Redsox for fifteen years; you still wouldn't give him any credit for what he said.

I have attended games at Fenway in four differant decades and I have attended games at YANKEES stadium during five decades. My opinion is that there is more criminal activity at Fenway than there is at YANKEES stadium. I have attended games at the majority of MLB stadiums and at two dozen minor league stadiums. I bet if I attended every game at Fenway for a hundred years and bothered to video tape it all, you would still argue that both crowds are equal at both stadiums. Frankly even the cops and employees are ruder and less polite at Fenway. I don't wear YANKEES logos at either stadium so they have no reason to be ruder to me at Fenway. They simply ARE ruder in general. One can never force anyone to admit anything regardless of fact. You are entitled to your opinions and I am not accusing you of being one of the criminals that so frequently act in such a cowardly way at Fenway. There are also cowardly scum acting out at YANKEES stadium. Unimpowered little vermin like to act out when they feel "backed up" by huges masses of people. I know that the majority of fans at fenway and roaming the world are NOT criminals but Sox fans overall have demonstarted time and time again that they have more vermin in their midst.

About two years ago I had a very large stranger of about age 30 attempt to do me harm in a hotel lobby area next to the bar as another person mentioned that I was a YANKEES fan while we stoped to look at the Atlanta/Sox game for a few moments. Fortunately although he was thirty pounds or more heavier and fifteen years younger he was also half drunk and I was not forced to do anything that would get me arrested in order to stop the oversized sc**bag. I had not said a word to the low life, he was simply angry at the game and made a bad guess about bullying a stranger Once I had the criminal safe on the ground in a wrist lock (sankyo) and he was crying that I was braking his arm THEN his friends wanted to intervene. I informed them that they should not. They backed up apparently frightened by a midle aged man. I could have easily broken his arm/wrist/ or hand bones, punded his head on the floor etc but I am not a brutal person and I do not enjoy hurting people (even when they behave like subhumans). The hotel security had no interest in calling the cops. I wanted to press charges. I had to call the cops on my own. They blew me off. Apparently his assault was not considered a crime in Boston. If I did the reverse in a hotel in Manhattan I would likely go to jail. In Boston say the word "YANKEES" and the rules change.

In my view the modern day culture in the two cities is unique. The Redsox have become a pathology in Boston. It's your city and you folks have a right to construct any reality and define any reality as you see fit. Fine, but please don't bother to be offended when others see it differently. It is what it is.

I was not in a "dangerous neighborhood" at midnight. it was about 9 PM in a five star hotel.

I don't hate the Redsox or Redsox fans in general. All available evidence clearly indicates to me that their is more criminal activity conducted by Redsox fans than by YANKEES fans. If you feel differently so be it. I suspect that you do so out of team loyalty. Fans from either team or any team that behave as criminals should face the justice system (half lame though it may be). Cowards that pretend assault when they feel empowered by vastly outnumbering thier intended victim(s) are no better than the scum that join al Qaeda. That they wear a YANKEES cap, a Sox cap, or any other cap matters not.

NYCVirago
03-07-04, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston
He forgets the standing ovation Red Sox fans gave Joe Torre after he came back from cancer treatments. Not to mention the standing ovation they gave Roger Clemens for his "last game" at Fenway Park. I'll bet in retrospect they're kind of embarrassed now about doing that ovation!

PippyPinstripes
03-07-04, 02:46 PM
YANKEES heheheh

NDBoston
03-07-04, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Bluesexy's daddy

I don't hate the Redsox or Redsox fans in general. All available evidence clearly indicates to me that their is more criminal activity conducted by Redsox fans than by YANKEES fans. If you feel differently so be it. I suspect that you do so out of team loyalty. Fans from either team or any team that behave as criminals should face the justice system (half lame though it may be). Cowards that pretend assault when they feel empowered by vastly outnumbering thier intended victim(s) are no better than the scum that join al Qaeda. That they wear a YANKEES cap, a Sox cap, or any other cap matters not.

Why did you have to do this? You're a Yankee fan and carry a bias. I have the same yet I didn't give an opinion on what fans were better or worst.

Your only evidence is your personal experiences. There is no scientific proof on who has the worst fanbase. Your opinions are based on the same loyalty's I have.

You have never been a Red Sox fan in Yankee Stadium. You have never seen Yankee fans get in the face of your 65 year old father and threaten to beat him up because he's wearing a Red Sox hat.

Save your Al Quaeda references for some other forum too. Comparing sports fans actions to the thugs who blew up the WTC makes me want to scream. I have two good friends in Afghanistan and Iraq who have a much diffferent opinion than yours.

I'm not going into coment anymore in this thread. I tried to keep the high road on my initial post, and this is a Yankees board. Feel free to flame away at my post and rip it into shreds. I won't be responding.

ACPS
03-07-04, 03:30 PM
Did Boone ever apologize for violating his contract?

Judge Mental
03-07-04, 03:43 PM

i realize that this is a YANKEES website and all....

but i mean come on guy...al-qaeda?

"all available evidence"?

i mistook the length of your post for depth

cubswin
03-07-04, 05:17 PM

...I have attended games at Fenway in four differant decades and I have attended games at YANKEES stadium during five decades. ...
About two years ago I had a very large stranger of about age 30 attempt to do me harm in a hotel lobby area next to the bar as another person mentioned that I was a YANKEES fan while we stoped to look at the Atlanta/Sox game for a few moments. ...
In my view the modern day culture in the two cities is unique. The Redsox have become a pathology in Boston. It's your city and you folks have a right to construct any reality and define any reality as you see fit. Fine, but please don't bother to be offended when others see it differently. It is what it is...
I don't hate the Redsox or Redsox fans in general. ....

What a long post to say virtually nothing. Great - in your opinion there is more "bad" activity in Boston / Fenway than in YS / NY. And you had a bad experience there. I'm sure everybody here can recount some sort of telling experience about being a fan in an opposing ballpark and getting hassled. I can, but I'm not going to waste everybody's time by posting about it in detail and then using it as a basis for a truly silly opinion. Believe whatever you want...

[oh, and btw, what's with the "Yankees" in all caps?]

jojos_2
03-07-04, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66
I am telling you right now, in all honesty, I am scared to walk around Boston wearing anything that even remotely looks like Yankees apparel.

Ditto. I may never have to worry about that, but yeah...:eek:

cubswin
03-07-04, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jojos_2

Ditto. I may never have to worry about that, but yeah...:eek:

? Have you actually been to Boston?

Monkeyman
03-07-04, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by cubswin

? Have you actually been to Boston?

I'm in Boston all the time, and I was today, wearing my Yankees sweatshirt. Other than being informed, quite eloquently, that the Yankees suck, I've never had to deal with much. 3 or4 guys today told me that the Yankees suck, and one said specifically Jeter did. However, I was never threatened in any way, nor did any of them follow up on it at all... just sort of a "Yankees suck!" and they were on their way. I've never been in NY with Red Sox apparel on, as I hate them, so I can't speak for how New Yorkers treat advertising Yankee fans.

NJOBP36
03-07-04, 07:19 PM
I figured he would have been too busy breaking his contract or being an average player to comment on anything.

Eldee5
03-07-04, 07:54 PM
I was just reading the recap of this afternoon's Yankees-Red Sox game on ESPN.com and read that one spectator wore a shirt that said, "I don't brake for Yankee fans".

There's a nice sentiment. Now we should all be road kill??? Sorry, I agree with what Boone had to say and considering that this is a YANKEES fan forum, we YANKEES fans should be able to speak our minds here without constant interference from Red Sox fans.

AJW
03-07-04, 08:24 PM
May all the Red Sox fans that are assinine burn in hell.:bad:

cubswin
03-07-04, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Eldee5
I was just reading the recap of this afternoon's Yankees-Red Sox game on ESPN.com and read that one spectator wore a shirt that said, "I don't brake for Yankee fans".

There's a nice sentiment. Now we should all be road kill??? Sorry, I agree with what Boone had to say and considering that this is a YANKEES fan forum, we YANKEES fans should be able to speak our minds here without constant interference from Red Sox fans.

Hey, at least it's original, and less offensive (IMO) than the Jeter Swallows shirts. (of course, if he truly does act on the sentiment expressed in the shirt, that's a different story...)

Nobody's saying you can't agree with Boone; personally, I just don't think it matters. Bottom line is that there are as*holes in both fanbases. If you think 50% of Boston fans are and 1% of Yanks fans are (or vice-versa), you're simply wrong. If you think it's 20%/10% and I think it's 10%/20%, we'll never have an answer, and really, who cares?

Nobody here is going to interfere with you saying what you think, but it's unlikely that you won't get answer back -- not just from Sox fans, but also from some reasonable Yankees fans.

Out of curiosity, have you spent much time in Fenway or Boston wearing Yankees gear?

yankeeman12
03-07-04, 09:26 PM
I've been to both places and have seen both sides. I'm a big Yankee fan and a Celtics fan (Yeah weird combo, blame my dad for that one ;)). I've been to the Stadium a lot, and to Boston some. I go to school in NH, and am constantly surrounded my Sox fans. I personally (and that's all it is, is a personal opinion) think Boston is much worse, mainly b/c it has developed into an obsession. I'm a Celtics fan and have been to a few of their games over the last 3 years...I've also been to some Bruins games when they've played the Flyers, and every single time there's been at least one Yankees suck chant. I unfortunately can't compare this to MSG, so take it however you want. I will not wear NY gear to Boston b/c I'll admit, I'm too afraid too (if I was with a few good friends I might consider it). I've been to both Fenway and Yankee stadium with Sox fans and have had good experiences at both. I've been to Fenway with them, and while I always keep an eye out, I've had some good times. I've also had some bad times. I've gone to the stadium and my sox friends have been treated great. I've also been there once and seen some yelled at (not my friends, but other sox fans), but all in good fun for the most part...so far I haven't seen anyone threatened (but i'm not oblivious, I'm sure it happens when you have upwards of 60-70,000 people there). I've seen fights at Fenway, not yet at Yankee Stadium, but I'm sure someone here can attest to having seen some. Boston has some great people and fans...NY has some great people and fans...both places have their a$$holes. It's just a matter of opinion about who has more violent fans, and everyone's entitled to their own. I think what Boone said was right on...I can't imagine the half of what Yankee players hear (especially in the bullpen). I'm sure Boston players hear it too (I've been above their bullpen once and no one said anything to them, except the occasionaly Brosius chant when Kim was warming up). The rivalry's great, but it needs to be just that, I rivalry in a baseball game, nothing more.

yankeeman12
03-07-04, 09:29 PM
Oh, and I've also been to Wrigely and think they have some of the best fans around. I'm not sure what it was like when they played the Yankees (I could hear a lot of Yankees suck chants going on, but I'm sure it stayed at that). But when I was there (they played the Astros), the fans we're great, it was really a great place to watch a game and a great atmosphere. That's what we need more of when the Yankees and Sox play IMO. I highly recommend watching a game their if anyone can ever get out there.

cubswin
03-07-04, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by yankeeman12
... The rivalry's great, but it needs to be just that, I rivalry in a baseball game, nothing more.

That is indisputable.

cubswin
03-07-04, 09:50 PM
Oh, and I've also been to Wrigely and think they have some of the best fans around. I'm not sure what it was like when they played the Yankees (I could hear a lot of Yankees suck chants going on, but I'm sure it stayed at that). But when I was there (they played the Astros), the fans we're great, it was really a great place to watch a game and a great atmosphere. That's what we need more of when the Yankees and Sox play IMO. I highly recommend watching a game their if anyone can ever get out there.

Absolutely. Personally, I think Wrigley RF bleachers is THE best place to watch a game. Fenway's the best park, but Wrigley's best to watch a game. On a beautiful summer day, Friday afternoon game, 30k fans playing hooky from work...

I've been to Fenway dozens of times, YS probably 1-2 dozen times and Wrigley dozens of times. I've seen many fights and obnoxious behavior at both Fenway and YS. But I never saw a single fight in all that time at Wrigley, despite a preposterous amount of alcohol intake. (The world's largest outdoor bar?) Everybody just having a great time, enjoying the day, Sammy and the game, probably in that order... The trade-off, IMO, is the lack of intensity.

yankees7
03-07-04, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Judge Mental

i realize that this is a YANKEES website and all....

but i mean come on guy...al-qaeda?

"all available evidence"?

i mistook the length of your post for depth

I didn't ...my 7 yr. old has a more mature thought process.

yankees7
03-07-04, 11:11 PM

Nice thought..but so isn't world peace. IMO.

ruthianblast
03-07-04, 11:59 PM
I go to OSU, and I have a friend who was born around Ann Arbor, Michigan; I get 2 tickets for each game, and he was down for the last week of November in 2002 (rivalry week). He had a hat on that had the Maize and Blue "M", had no other identifying markings, yet was consistently threatened to the point of someone (obviously drunk) throwing a firework at his feet. We decided it wasn't worth it and threw the hat away and got him a OSU hat, he doesn't really care about the rivalry. That was crazy, the BoSox and Yankees may have some nutso fans but nothing will approach that, there are more drunks at college games, just wanted to provide some prospective. By the way, it wasn't just a few people it was everyone we walked pass on the way to a tailgate.

CTSoxFan
03-08-04, 12:20 AM

Ah, nice. Sox fans are the sleeper cell that W has been breathlessly looking for...

I only even bother to comment on this because it brings back memories of my favorite Yankee Stadium moment: being confined to a stall in a men's room at the Stadium and told how wrong it was to be a Sox fan after 9/11. No BS. And they weren't even drunk.

Counterpoint: I've been to Yankee Stadium (in full Red Sox gear, usually) at least a dozen times, and the above referenced episode was the worst I was treated. Frequently, I've found myself surrounded by passionate fans willing to undertake good-natured "conversion" efforts. A couple of scrapes with idiots.

Kinda like in this forum...the good people outweigh the bad, so the bad tend not to keep me away. But I harbor no illusions about Sox fans being terrorists, or Yankee fans being saints.

SuperMario66
03-08-04, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by CTSoxFan

Counterpoint: I've been to Yankee Stadium (in full Red Sox gear, usually) at least a dozen times, and the above referenced episode was the worst I was treated. Frequently, I've found myself surrounded by passionate fans willing to undertake good-natured "conversion" efforts. A couple of scrapes with idiots.

Kinda like in this forum...the good people outweigh the bad, so the bad tend not to keep me away. But I harbor no illusions about Sox fans being terrorists, or Yankee fans being saints.

Very well said.

cubswin
03-08-04, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by CTSoxFan

Ah, nice. Sox fans are the sleeper cell that W has been breathlessly looking for...

I only even bother to comment on this because it brings back memories of my favorite Yankee Stadium moment: being confined to a stall in a men's room at the Stadium and told how wrong it was to be a Sox fan after 9/11. No BS. And they weren't even drunk...

I found myself laughing at both of those statements. Too bad, though,m that you couldn't have turned the tide on one of those Yankees fans and given him (I assume it was a him -- you didn't sneak into a woman's bathroom and enrage some female fans, did you?) a swirly.

Back to Bush, that could explain why the A-Rod trade didn't go down. Clearly, Bush didn't want his former team to put A-Rod into enemy hands, so he put the ki-bosh (sp?) on it...

Yankee Cowboy
03-08-04, 12:55 AM
There is no comparison between Yankee fans and Red Sox fans...They are a different breed.... They are bitter and Yankee fans are amused....I honestly do not dislike the Red Sox and this so called rivalry.... now if they beat us in every significant game for 86 years I would probably hate them like Ben Aflack hates the Yankees....

I really do not care for this baseball rivalry. I hate it. It is the most overrated rivalry in the history of sports. I understand there is a history between both teams going back to the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees which started that myth called "The Curse of the Bambino", but is it really a rivalry when the Yankees beat the Red Sox all the time especially in big games. Every year, Red Sox fans are optimistic about how it is their year to dethrone the Yankees, yet itís the same old dance. How is that a rivalry and how is it entertaining when the Yankees always have the psychological edge over the Red Sox.

This article pretty much sums up the difference

By Jim Caple
Page 2 columnist

I wore a Red Sox T-shirt in the Yankee Stadium bleachers and a Yankees T-shirt in the Fenway Park bleachers during the playoffs this past week. And having done so, an apology might be in order for all the Yankees fans I have gleefully insulted over the past few years.

espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/031014.html
espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/031014.html (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/031014.html)

cubswin
03-08-04, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yankee Cowboy
[B]There is no comparison between Yankee fans and Red Sox fans...They are a different breed.... They are bitter and Yankee fans are amused....I honestly do not dislike the Red Sox and this so called rivalry.... now if they beat us in every significant game for 86 years I would probably hate them like Ben Aflack hates the Yankees....
QUOTE]

First off, you already posted that article. Posting it again doesn't make it any more significant as a source. Just like CTSox's or ND's or my experiences w/as*hole Yanks fans don't represent the bulk of Yankees fans, Jim Caple's or bluesexy's experiences don't typify the Sox. Trust me: many Yanks fans treat the Sox fans w/more than "amusement" -- unless, of course, you define amusement as physical intimdation, swearing at children, etc. -- but if you do, then you're just one of the as*holes.

SuperMario66
03-08-04, 01:01 AM
Your post is a bit hard to read... the artlicle was good though.

PippyPinstripes
03-08-04, 01:36 AM
What the hell is a "swirly"?

Yankee Cowboy
03-08-04, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by cubswin

First off, you already posted that article. Posting it again doesn't make it any more significant as a source. Just like CTSox's or ND's or my experiences w/as*hole Yanks fans don't represent the bulk of Yankees fans, Jim Caple's or bluesexy's experiences don't typify the Sox. Trust me: many Yanks fans treat the Sox fans w/more than "amusement" -- unless, of course, you define amusement as physical intimdation, swearing at children, etc. -- but if you do, then you're just one of the as*holes. [/B]

Sorry I did post it twice ...at the time I did not realize that there was a thread discussing the difference between the fans..... and when did you become the moderator... I can see why you would doubt bluesexeys post because he is a Yankee fan but why in the world would you doubt a self proclaimed Yankee hater and Red Sox supporter like Jim Caple
Believe me Boston fans are very bitter and they are fighting mad....What do the Yankee fans have to angry about?? You have probably been to both parks and if you do not see the distinct contrast you have your head in the sand..

:NY: