PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious Grady Little Moment



JerseyASU
03-04-04, 06:08 PM
I just got back from the Giants-Cubs spring training game that was on ESPN..Grady Little was sitting right behind the plate and was obviously visible..My buddy (who is a Sox fan) and myself went down and talked to him..let me tell you, he's such a depressing guy, I wanted to shoot myself after talking to him..I really wanted to thank him for another pennant, but I figure he's depressed enough..to think about it, he went from prominant ALCS manager to scouting consultant for the Cubs..pretty ironic if ya ask me considering he did absolutely no scouting at all with the Sox

BillBuckner
03-04-04, 06:11 PM
And of course if Pedro gets those last 5 outs, then hes not only still the Blowsox manager, but the greatest one they ever had.

VanHalen5150
03-04-04, 06:11 PM
wrong forum?

rightfielder21
03-04-04, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by VanHalen5150
wrong forum?

Yes...

JerseyASU
03-04-04, 06:35 PM
I just got back from the Giants-Cubs spring training game that was on ESPN..Grady Little was sitting right behind the plate and was obviously visible..My buddy (who is a Sox fan) and myself went down and talked to him..let me tell you, he's such a depressing guy, I wanted to shoot myself after talking to him..I really wanted to thank him for another pennant, but I figure he's depressed enough..to think about it, he went from prominant ALCS manager to scouting consultant for the Cubs..pretty ironic if ya ask me considering he did absolutely no scouting at all with the Sox

flutie22
03-04-04, 07:35 PM
and where does the hillarious moment come in?

NDBoston
03-04-04, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by BillBuckner
And of course if Pedro gets those last 5 outs, then hes not only still the Blowsox manager, but the greatest one they ever had.

he was hated long before that and there was another series left to win.

ACPS
03-04-04, 08:28 PM
If the Red Sox had won the game, rolled around the field in Yankee stadium in front of all the Yankee fans, crotch-banged the Babe Ruth plaque and thus enabling the incessant "Cowboy Up" mantra to continue...I think Grady would have been a little exonerated. ;)

Btw, I think the Sox would have beaten the Marlins.

PinstripePride
03-04-04, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by flutie22
and where does the hillarious moment come in?

I'm thinkin the same thing.... :lol:

NDBoston
03-04-04, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ACPS
If the Red Sox had won the game, rolled around the field in Yankee stadium in front of all the Yankee fans, crotch-banged the Babe Ruth plaque and thus enabling the incessant "Cowboy Up" mantra to continue...I think Grady would have been a little exonerated. ;)

Btw, I think the Sox would have beaten the Marlins.

You're probably right. they would have been excited as the yankees were when they won.

It wouldn't have been enough to just beat the Yankees though. Not for the real fans at least.

The word in Boston was Grady was out unless he won the whole thing.
Who knows though

OilCan
03-04-04, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by ACPS
If the Red Sox had won the game, rolled around the field in Yankee stadium in front of all the Yankee fans, crotch-banged the Babe Ruth plaque and thus enabling the incessant "Cowboy Up" mantra to continue...I think Grady would have been a little exonerated. ;)

Btw, I think the Sox would have beaten the Marlins.

Well, it wouldn't have exonerated him in my eyes, but it would certainly have made it harder not to renew his contract. I wanted him out in June, and he didn't do anything the rest of the season to change my mind.

Now, if we won, and Grady actually went out and crotch-banged the Babe plaque, well, that may have convinced me to keep him. ;)

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-04-04, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston
The word in Boston was Grady was out unless he won the whole thing. Who knows though
That's what I've heard. Epstein and the owners wanted a manager more stats oriented than Little. It'd be tough to fire a WS champion manager, especially for the Sox, but short of that I think he was gone.

cubswin
03-04-04, 09:29 PM
I felt a little bad for the guy (emphasis on little). I think he probably did some very good things but that they were more on the inside, w/regard to clubhouse mgmt. Sitting Manny, etc. Unfortunately, he was a bad game manager. And I'm not talking about Pedro (I had no problem w/that decision and think that he was in kind of a no-win situation). Even in that game, I think he screwed up by pulling Embree after 1 batter, not bringing Williamson in before Wakefield and pinch-hitting (-running?) too early for Tek in the 9th (I think it was the 9th). As Sports Guy put it, he had a knack for decimating the Sox lineup singlehandedly through his in-game pinch-running, hitting and "defensive replacement" decisions.

He probably could have been extremely effective manager if he had had a strong bench coach whom he listened to.

FutureYankee
03-04-04, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by OilCan
Now, if we won, and Grady actually went out and crotch-banged the Babe plaque, well, that may have convinced me to keep him. ;)

I would have tolerated the sox winning if i would have gotten to see that :lol:

Sous Sheff
03-04-04, 10:00 PM
I can think of no scenario that would have been tolerable and the sux winning.:NY:

SuperMario66
03-04-04, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Sous Sheff
I can think of no scenario that would have been tolerable and the sux winning.:NY:

The previous statement was funny though. :lol:

Pomp
03-04-04, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by cubswin
And I'm not talking about Pedro (I had no problem w/that decision and think that he was in kind of a no-win situation.


I agree with you, cubswin. If he brought in the bullpen and they blew it, people would have critiqued him for not bringing in Pedro.

StaceyRosie
03-04-04, 11:42 PM
That's mean....

NDBoston
03-04-04, 11:50 PM
I'm trying to decide which "Grady Little moment" was more hilarious.

SuperMario66
03-05-04, 12:18 AM
I am trying to figure out why the hell there are two threads on the same topic...:confused:

Bluesexy's daddy
03-05-04, 12:39 AM
If he had taken Pedro out sooner and had still lost the game I think that many of the people that now want him hanged for leaving Pedro in too long would want him hanged for taking Pedro out. People like scapegoats and the press loves it.

JerseyASU
03-05-04, 03:53 AM
yeah..i dont really know why it posted it twice..i dont know..i thought it was pretty funny seeing a man that was at the top of the mountain be regarded as nobody..i mean, after we got the autograph a guy came up to us and asked us who he was..i mean, i feel bad for the guy..the man's seriously just completely blackballed from baseball for eternity

yanksrule69
03-05-04, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by PinstripePride


I'm thinkin the same thing.... :lol:

That makes 3 of us.:lol:

CTSoxFan
03-05-04, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Bluesexy's daddy
If he had taken Pedro out sooner and had still lost the game I think that many of the people that now want him hanged for leaving Pedro in too long would want him hanged for taking Pedro out. People like scapegoats and the press loves it.

I can understand why people think this is a classic case of 20/20 hindsight...but as a Sox fan, I can tell you that the people I was with all had the exact same reaction as Grady came out to the mound: "Hey, great effort, good decision to turn it over to the 'pen, especially the way they've been throwing this series."

And then a stunned silence, as Grady patted Pedro on the ass and left him in there...followed by a universal "What the f*** is he DOING?"

Again, I can't speak for all Sox fans, but the entire crowd I was with was of a single mind at that time. (Regrettably, you can't verify it with them, since the majority participated in a ritual suicide when Boone ended the game in the 11th.)

NelsonMuntz
03-05-04, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by CTSoxFan


I can understand why people think this is a classic case of 20/20 hindsight...but as a Sox fan, I can tell you that the people I was with all had the exact same reaction as Grady came out to the mound: "Hey, great effort, good decision to turn it over to the 'pen, especially the way they've been throwing this series."

And then a stunned silence, as Grady patted Pedro on the ass and left him in there...followed by a universal "What the f*** is he DOING?"

Again, I can't speak for all Sox fans, but the entire crowd I was with was of a single mind at that time. (Regrettably, you can't verify it with them, since the majority participated in a ritual suicide when Boone ended the game in the 11th.)
As a Yankee fan, I can tell you that I had a huge grin on my face when he didn't pull Pedro. We all knew that Pedro's effectiveness declines dramatically after 100 pitches, and we also knew that the Sox bullpen had been lights out during the postseason up to that point. Well, all of us except Grady Little apparently. But having watched the Sox a lot last season, I wasn't that shocked. Grady made a lot of managerial decisions that didn't make a lot of sense. I can only guess that he managed by hunches rather than statistics. The offense bailed him out most of the time, but it finally caught up with him in Game 7 of the ALCS.

SuperMario66
03-05-04, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by NelsonMuntz

As a Yankee fan, I can tell you that I had a huge grin on my face when he didn't pull Pedro.

I have to agree with you in that regard. I was pulling for Grady to leave Pedro in, believing we had a better chance of winning against him.

Soriambi
03-05-04, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by SuperMario66


I have to agree with you in that regard. I was pulling for Grady to leave Pedro in, believing we had a better chance of winning against him.

Me too. Pedro is a great pitcher and all, but I had a feeling that he was done, and I was shocked, but happy, to see him stay in.

As for the job security issue...I don't think he would have been fired if he had beat the Yankees, to be honest. I think that the fans in Boston would have had a problem with that, and I don't see why you would fire a manager who brought you to your first WS since 1986.

cubswin
03-05-04, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by CTSoxFan


I can understand why people think this is a classic case of 20/20 hindsight...but as a Sox fan, I can tell you that the people I was with all had the exact same reaction as Grady came out to the mound: "Hey, great effort, good decision to turn it over to the 'pen, especially the way they've been throwing this series."

And then a stunned silence, ...


I don't think it was a case of hindsight being 20/20 -- but I do think people would have changed their tune had he pulled Pedro for Timlin or Embree and the reliever had then blown the game. Some revisionist history, led by the likes of Shaughnessy, most likely.

Also, fwiw, I think people are overlooking that, while Pedro, like most pitchers, tires and loses effectiveness, he also often pitches out of jams. Also, the Sox bullpen was lights out in the playoffs, but not so much during the season. Clearly, the safe choice is to pull him, but I think leaving him in is more than defensible. (And btw, he easily could have been out of it had Posada not blooped a single. So be it -- that's the game.) Anyway, to me the far worse decision was bringing in Wake rather than Williamson or Arroyo.

flutie22
03-06-04, 01:57 AM
I am stilllllll waiting for the hillarious moment. false advertising

GimeMoMuny
03-06-04, 04:16 AM
What the hell is goin on in here? ....

GimeMoMuny
03-06-04, 04:24 AM
OOOHHHH IIIIII GET IT!!!!!<p>So a member posts details of a personal encounter with Grady Little, which HE considers hillarious...<p>And everybody in the thread continues to discuss the REAL hillarious Game 7 Grady moment... Which is kinda what I was thinkin would be in here.... I see:gulp: :drool:

Dooley Womack
03-06-04, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston


he was hated long before that and there was another series left to win.

Isn't that the case with all Boston managers since 1918 when they don't take the team to the promised land?

I think the Sox fans would have done a quick 180 and Grady would be God to them today if the Sox won it all.

cubswin
03-06-04, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Dooley Womack


...I think the Sox fans would have done a quick 180 and Grady would be God to them today if the Sox won it all.

Of course. I don't think that's specific to Sox fans. Do you think Torre would have fared as well if in the year that the Yanks wound up winning their first WS under him ('96?), he instead had made a decision that many thought terrible that cost them the game/series? Personally, I think Grady did many things poorly, other things well; but if he had managed the team to the Series, I ABSOLUTELY would have overlooked the bad -- how could you not?

matt27
03-06-04, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by cubswin
I think he probably did some very good things but that they were more on the inside, w/regard to clubhouse mgmt. Unfortunately, he was a bad game manager.

Sounds like a description of Joe Torre...

'04 TheSchillingEra
03-06-04, 04:05 PM
wow Red Sox fans do not care about Grady anymore...He makes more money than you so why do you care?

Dooley Womack
03-06-04, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by '04 TheSchillingEra
wow Red Sox fans do not care about Grady anymore...He makes more money than you so why do you care?

huh :confused:

'04 TheSchillingEra
03-06-04, 05:09 PM
I as a Sox fan do not care about Grady....He makes more money than most people do. Leave the man alone