PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: Schilling creates buzz with pitch to Millar

Carissa
03-03-04, 08:31 AM
Schilling creates buzz with pitch to Millar
By Bob Hohler, Globe Staff, 3/3/2004
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2004/03/03/schilling_creates_buzz_with_pitch_to_millar/

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Mess with Curt Schilling at your peril, it seems. Even if you're a teammate.

Kevin Millar made the mistake yesterday of reminding Schilling about the time he took him deep April 28, 2002, for the Marlins, when Schilling was pitching for Arizona.

"He was talking about how he has a tape on all the hitters," Millar said. "I asked him if he had my big blast against him. It went about 330 feet and barely cleared the fence."

Schilling answered Millar's question a little later. When Millar stepped in against him for batting practice, Schilling whistled his first pitch of the day just behind Millar's neck.

WindRavenX
03-03-04, 08:34 AM
Awwww....Sox man love :P :lol:
Good lord that team is full of nutjobs...

Pomp
03-03-04, 08:34 AM
"Curt Schilling Up!" That's awesome. Millar has got a big mouth.

RedGlare
03-03-04, 08:35 AM
yeah... real smart

StaceyRosie
03-03-04, 08:48 AM
I think Millar's an assclown. I hate to say it but way to go Curt Schiling. That's funny.

Babe Rules
03-03-04, 12:01 PM
Mr Cowboy up needs to shut up

C-BUS CLIPPER
03-03-04, 12:21 PM
He should of actually plunked him :)

Yankee Bulldawg
03-03-04, 01:20 PM
Mr. Cowboy Up needs to keep his trap shut, he was looking Schilling did'nt plunk him

jojos_2
03-03-04, 01:38 PM
:lol:

deranged2005
03-03-04, 02:00 PM
:lol: :lol:

A jerk move, but I wonder if he meant to be funny.

NDBoston
03-03-04, 02:07 PM
don't believe what you read

Pomp
03-03-04, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston

Why..what is wrong with this article?

deranged2005
03-03-04, 02:48 PM
"I asked him if he had my big blast against him. It went about 330 feet and barely cleared the fence."

Kevin Millar what are you talking about?!?!?! Blast that barely cleared the fence? Come on Kev.

NDBoston
03-03-04, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Pomp

Why..what is wrong with this article?

Schilling said it wasn't accurate and VERY overexaggerated

pacewon
03-03-04, 03:03 PM

And we should take Schilling's word why?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/7247861.htm

"As it stands right now, there are only two phone calls that would interest me," he said. "One would be (Phillies general manager) Ed Wade saying, `We have 72 hours to strike a deal.' The other would be (Yankees GM) Brian Cashman saying the same thing."

"I'm not going to Boston," he said adamantly.

KC
03-03-04, 03:17 PM

Got a :link: ?

StolenYankeeFan
03-03-04, 03:29 PM
http://pub208.ezboard.com/fsonsofsamhornbostonredsox.showMessageRange?topicID=12857.topic&start=1&stop=20

Look for the poster gehrig38, that's Schilling.

RedGlare
03-03-04, 03:31 PM
The unspoken part of the story is that Manny was up next, and when the first pitch was high (but still over the plate) Manny started barking as he walked towards the mound with his bat still in hand

;)

OilCan
03-03-04, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by pacewon

And we should take Schilling's word why?

"I feel good about with who I am bed with and who I am married to with the Rangers," he said. "I don't feel betrayed at all. I am very honored to work for an owner like Tom Hicks, who I feel is the best owner in the game. I definitely hope to be here at least seven years and then ask Mr. Hicks if we can negotiate into my 40s.

Jan 25th, 2003.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tex/news/tex_news.jsp?ymd=20040125&content_id=630761&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp

Both quotes have equal relevance to the Schilling/Millar thing, btw. Which is to say, none.

KC
03-03-04, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by StolenYankeeFan
http://pub208.ezboard.com/fsonsofsamhornbostonredsox.showMessageRange?topicID=12857.topic&start=1&stop=20

Thanks, StolenYankeeFan. :)

StolenYankeeFan
03-03-04, 03:52 PM
No problem, KC. Glad to help :)

The Q Bomb
03-03-04, 06:17 PM
Whoa, ATTITUDE, boy! We need a pitcher on The Yankees with that attitude.

pacewon
03-03-04, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by OilCan

Jan 25th, 2003.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tex/news/tex_news.jsp?ymd=20040125&content_id=630761&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp

Both quotes have equal relevance to the Schilling/Millar thing, btw. Which is to say, none.

This has nothing to do with anything. If somebody was questioning A-Rod's word, then you could bring this up. Unfortunately for you, this thread has nothing to do with A-Rod. In the future you should really leave completely irrelevant pieces of information out of conversations that are regarding a completely different subject.

PippyPinstripes
03-03-04, 08:05 PM
Sheesh, something a Red Sox player does that I actually think is cool, and still, the Sox fans run to deny it. Ahaha!

OilCan
03-03-04, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by pacewon

This has nothing to do with anything. If somebody was questioning A-Rod's word, then you could bring this up. Unfortunately for you, this thread has nothing to do with A-Rod. In the future you should really leave completely irrelevant pieces of information out of conversations that are regarding a completely different subject.

Wow.

Ok, I'll bring it up in a thread where Arod says everything's ok with his relationship with Jeter, or he's fine playing third base.

I mean, since he changed his mind about staying with Texas, we can't trust anything he says, right?

Your point was that since Schilling changed his mind about coming to Boston, nothing he says should be believed. My point was that that's absurd. I tried to illustrate that point with the Arod quote. As I said, both quotes are irrelevant. If I wasn't clear about my point, I'm sorry.

YankeePride1967
03-03-04, 08:51 PM
Obviously I will root against him now that he is in Boston, but I have always respected him, not only for what he's done for ALS, but the fact that he says what he feels to to true even if saying so may tick some people off (example, his comments about the Yanks and A-Rod for one). I believe in the old axiom that goes something like "believe half of what you see and even less of what you hear".

YankeePride1967
03-03-04, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by StolenYankeeFan

I just read that thread and that's more than explanation enough for me (not that one was even needed).

pacewon
03-03-04, 10:53 PM
Your point was that since Schilling changed his mind about coming to Boston, nothing he says should be believed. My point was that that's absurd.

To which I disagree with, and you misinterpreted my point. My point is that if somebody is banking on Curt Schilling's word about something I don't have to believe any of it because his word has been faulty in the (recent) past.

PippyPinstripes
03-04-04, 12:32 AM

Wow.

Ok, I'll bring it up in a thread where Arod says everything's ok with his relationship with Jeter, or he's fine playing third base.

I mean, since he changed his mind about staying with Texas, we can't trust anything he says, right?

Your point was that since Schilling changed his mind about coming to Boston, nothing he says should be believed. My point was that that's absurd. I tried to illustrate that point with the Arod quote. As I said, both quotes are irrelevant. If I wasn't clear about my point, I'm sorry.

What's irrelevant is whether or not you trust what A-Rod or anyone else has to say. If you want to bring up what a big ol liar you think A-Rod is, start a thread so you can discuss it. This is about Curt Schilling, media whore, tall tale teller, and self-aggrandizing fan ingratiator, and whether or not we believe him on this issue. Everyone who changes their mind about something isn't a LIAR. But this is different than someone's FEELINGS toward another person, or someone's FEELINGS about playing third base, or someone's FEELINGS toward playing in Texas. (I'm not talking about the whole "I'm not coming to Boston" thing btw... I just think Curt is a master of spin in general)

This is an incident that either happened or didn't happen. So the analogy doesn't work with either Schilling or our new fabulous third baseman, the best player in the game who will hopefully hit a zillion jacks and strike fear into every pitcher who faces him and...

Crap, sorry, got carried away...We got freakin A-Rod!!!! *deep breath*

Anyway, either way I win. If he did it and is denying it, he's a puss. If he didn't do it, he's not as cool as I briefly gave him credit for. I win! Plus we still got A-Rod!

northern
03-04-04, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by WindRavenX
Awwww....Sox man love :P :lol:
Good lord that team is full of nutjobs... Don't forget about their fans Windy :D :P :P :gulp: :gulp:

OilCan
03-04-04, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by PippyPinstripes

This is an incident that either happened or didn't happen. So the analogy doesn't work with either Schilling or our new fabulous third baseman, the best player in the game who will hopefully hit a zillion jacks and strike fear into every pitcher who faces him and...

Ok, I'll drop the Arod analogy, although I still think it works.

A quote about Schilling saying he didn't want to come to Boston has zero to do with his honesty about this specific incident. IMO, of course. Changing your mind doesn't make you dishonest. IMO, of course. If someone disagrees I'm sure they'll argue that point consistently, no matter who the player is.

I cracked up at the rest of your post, btw. :)

NDBoston
03-04-04, 07:10 AM

Ok, I'll drop the Arod analogy, although I still think it works.

A quote about Schilling saying he didn't want to come to Boston has zero to do with his honesty about this specific incident. IMO, of course. Changing your mind doesn't make you dishonest. IMO, of course. If someone disagrees I'm sure they'll argue that point consistently, no matter who the player is.

I cracked up at the rest of your post, btw. :)

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/02/08/schilling_was_swayed_by_ballpark_figures/

Schilling insists he was being anything but disingenuous when he told Jim Salisbury of the Philadelphia Inquirer that he had no interest in coming to Boston. He did so, he said, because of an erroneous report that he'd told friends Boston was the place he wanted to be. Not so. His first choice was going back to the Philadelphia, and if that didn't work out, the Yankees.

As he told Salisbury, he thought Fenway Park was too much of a home run park for him to feel comfortable in -- until the Sox showed him that the numbers proved otherwise. In "The 2004 Bill James Handbook," Fenway Park ranked just 10th in the AL in ballpark index ratings for home runs; the formula neutralizes the effects of a team's makeup and isolates the effects of the park

Excluding interleague games (as the James formula does), the Sox hit 108 home runs on the road and 95 at home last season, while Sox pitchers gave up roughly the same number of home runs on the road (64) as they did at home (61). For lefthanded hitters, the ballpark index ratings for home runs has Fenway Park last in the league. It was 8 percent harder for all hitters to hit home runs at Fenway Park than other ballparks, while it was 27 percent harder for lefthanded hitters, according to James.

That apparently convinced Schilling, who ranks ninth on the list of home runs allowed by active pitchers (263, 67 fewer than leader David Wells), that the Fens would be more hospitable than he thought.

Bluesexy's daddy
03-05-04, 06:20 PM

I always hesitate to believe what I read but in this case it is a Globe journalist quoting Schilling, Millar, and Varitek. If he is making up the quotes we will hear the uproar by tomorrow. It sounds plausable at this point. If indeed it did happen it sounds a bit foolish for Schilling to be doing that to his own team mate.

cubswin
03-05-04, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Bluesexy's daddy

I always hesitate to believe what I read but in this case it is a Globe journalist quoting Schilling, Millar, and Varitek. If he is making up the quotes we will hear the uproar by tomorrow. It sounds plausable at this point. If indeed it did happen it sounds a bit foolish for Schilling to be doing that to his own team mate.

You don't know much about the Boston media, huh? :)

patrick.o
03-05-04, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by RedGlare
The unspoken part of the story is that Manny was up next, and when the first pitch was high (but still over the plate) Manny started barking as he walked towards the mound with his bat still in hand

;) :lol: Nice.

patrick.o
03-05-04, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by The Q Bomb
Whoa, ATTITUDE, boy! We need a pitcher on The Yankees with that attitude.
We have one. His name is Kevin Brown. And the AL will soon learn to fear his menace.

patrick.o
03-05-04, 07:39 PM
Wow, you guys get way too serious. They're just a bunch of men, who get payed a whole lot to play a game. If they were slightly less athletic most of them would probably be working with you, just regular guys. Schilling, ARod, whoever, they're just like you and me, except they get to play for a career. And if you and me had reporters writing about our evey move and every word every day we'd all probably find that we say and do a lot of stupid **** too. Who cares? When's Opening Day gonna get here?

flutie22
03-06-04, 01:04 AM
as a lot of you regulars may know im a red sox fan . in the words of chris farley as matt foley-the motivational speaker, sometimes i wish millar would shut his FREEEEEEKIN YAPPER. he will soon be living in a van down by the river if he repeats his dismal second half of last year.
Good for Schill, i applaud his brush-back

redsoxh8er
03-06-04, 02:05 AM
We have one. His name is Kevin Brown. And the AL will soon learn to fear his menace.

You hit that right on the head patrick.o, the AL will find out soon. Now for the assclown in Boston trying to hit his own batsman, well keep trying my boy Schilling and sooner or later your aim will be true, sorry you missed. Millar had it coming anyway for picking A-Rod over Nomar when Nomar is still his teammate. Now don't get me wrong I am certainly glad A-Rod is a Yankee we are defianately better with him than without him but would you have liked to have seen the team thrown into disarray if it meant trading Jeter to get A-Rod? For being a human asshat (Millar), Schilling may have been showing him that there may be no I in team but there is in Schilling and his ego would not tolerate being slammed by a guy famous for taking cheapshots at his own teammates. If his stats were as fat as his mouth and his ass then maybe he would have a little more support from his "friends", needless to say though the beantown crew has only 1 player with any class,(Nomar) and it is truly fitting that that is who they worked hardest to get rid of this offseason. Kind of like having the Babe knowing that he's the best and really a stud but let's give him away to the hated rivals, A Classy Move By A Classy Organization if thats what you wanna call that bunch of classless chumps in Boston. But there has been 1 successful team there for part of the last century anyway but they kinda died with the closure of The Garden (Celtics, but they got the luck of the Irish on their side or at least Auerbach and Bird, Inhale to the chief Sir Robert Parrish!)

Dooley Womack
03-06-04, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Carissa
Schilling creates buzz with pitch to Millar
By Bob Hohler, Globe Staff, 3/3/2004
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2004/03/03/schilling_creates_buzz_with_pitch_to_millar/

Schilling's act is getting old. The same old, lunchpail guy persona he tries too hard to project - the "Hey look at me I'm the average, good-ole- toughboy- joe" act. It got tired and played out with David Wells too.

Boston fans can't see that they are being played like little puppets by him. They think he's being charming and "one of them" when in fact he's blatantly calculating........as was David Wells.

cubswin
03-06-04, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Dooley Womack

Schilling's act is getting old. The same old, lunchpail guy persona he tries too hard to project - the "Hey look at me I'm the average, good-ole- toughboy- joe" act. It got tired and played out with David Wells too.

Boston fans can't see that they are being played like little puppets by him. They think he's being charming and "one of them" when in fact he's blatantly calculating........as was David Wells.

Calculating? Sure. But I don't think Sox fans, at least most of them, are being "played" -- just like I don't think Yanks fans are being played by A-Rod, who also seems pretty calculating. As long as Schilling keeps posting insights about the game on SOSH, I'll put him over most other players whose interaction w/fans islimited, at best, to trite cliches.

(In some ways the players can't win, though I won't shed a tear for them. If they talk to the press candidly, fans think they should shut up and mind their own business, that it's not their place to comment on whatever the issue is; or, the media twists their words to try to make a story out of it. If they throw out safe lines, they're givn a hard time by fans and media about being boring or a bad interview. If they don't speak at all, they're portrayed as surly and uncooperative, or primadonnas. But that's just my opinion...)

'04 TheSchillingEra
03-06-04, 03:08 PM
shut up it was a joke...They are friends...Everyone likes Schilling on the team