PDA

View Full Version : Andy Van Slyke on Barry Bonds

Pomp
03-03-04, 06:38 AM
Andy played with Bonds in Pittsburgh.

<B>"Unequivocally he's taken them," Van Slyke said. "I can say that with utmost certainty. Now, I never saw him put it into his body, but look ... the physical evidence is there. People do not gain 35 pounds of muscle in their late 30s without a little bit of help.

"When I played with him, I weighed more than him and yet he was still a tremendous player. He still had good power, and he was an MVP. The physical facts are the physical facts, and when you're 36, 37 and 38 years old is not when you peak with your home run production." </B>

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1749448

Bub
03-03-04, 06:49 AM
Van Slyke's stating the obvious here. Everybody knows all in question took the pills. BTW, in his prime Van Slyke was a great player.

NelsonMuntz
03-03-04, 10:20 AM
Van Slyke and Bonds hated each other when they played together in Pittsburgh. It's not surprising that Van Slyke is coming out against him. Not that I'm defending Bonds or disagreeing with Van Slyke's obervation.

Irabu's Son
03-03-04, 10:51 AM
Van Slyke is a stand-up guy and I'm glad more people are speaking out about Bonds. Van Slyke wouldn't say it unless he had reason to believe it.

SODM
03-03-04, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Irabu's Son
Van Slyke is a stand-up guy and I'm glad more people are speaking out about Bonds. Van Slyke wouldn't say it unless he had reason to believe it.

I agree.
What's wrong with drawing conclusions on obvious observations?
Maybe we should send a team headed by Hans Blix to find the steroids.

Yankee Bulldawg
03-03-04, 11:30 AM
Van Slyke was only speaking his mind on this situation with Bonds, i appluade him for doing so. and i agree with what Van Slyke when he said there's no way that anyone can gain 35 pounds of extra muscle in his late 30's and do it legally.

YankeeFan1
03-03-04, 11:52 AM
Unless Van Slyke saw Bonds or anyone else taking steroids, he needs to mind his own business and talk in general terms.

Irabu's Son
03-03-04, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by YankeeFan1
Unless Van Slyke saw Bonds or anyone else taking steroids, he needs to mind his own business and talk in general terms.

Is that what he "needs" to do? It's a free country.

On an unrelated note, I predict Barry Bonds will come back with something like "Van Slyke better come say it to my face" like he did with Wendell. More bullying and attempted intimidation. It's Bonds' way.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-03-04, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Irabu's Son
I'd agree. I've seen him interviewed numerous times, and he always seemed like an eminently decent guy.

YankeeFan1
03-03-04, 01:14 PM
Is that what he "needs" to do? It's a free country. Fine, he "should" mind his own business and talk in general terms.

StaceyRosie
03-03-04, 01:17 PM
I was going to write something obnoxious but I decided against it...

So.....

Why am I drawing a blank on Andy Van Slyke? What position did he play with the Pirates?

Sixty one
03-03-04, 02:38 PM
This is just the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised as the days pass that more and more major leaguers speak their mind about who is taking steroids and their opinion as to what should be done. I think the players union will be hard pressed to keep players quiet!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SuperMario66
03-03-04, 02:42 PM

Hell, I don't blame him. It's about damn time somebody step up and mention some names. It is making the clean guys look bad and tainting the game that we all love. I am getting really sick of all this crap about protecting players' privacy. Who cares? We pay their salaries. If we don't want steroids in the game, there shouldn't be any.

Sixty one
03-03-04, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66

Hell, I don't blame him. It's about darn time somebody step up and mention some names. It is making the clean guys look bad and tainting the game that we all love. I am getting really sick of all this crap about protecting players' privacy. Who cares? We pay their salaries. If we don't want steroids in the game, there shouldn't be any.

Well said! I agree wholehardly with you!:mad: :mad:

KC
03-03-04, 02:50 PM

I agree. You can condem steriods without singling players out.

silverdsl
03-03-04, 03:21 PM
Hell, I don't blame him. It's about darn time somebody step up and mention some names. It is making the clean guys look bad and tainting the game that we all love. I am getting really sick of all this crap about protecting players' privacy. I couldn't disagree more. I'm all for harsher penalties for steroids use. I'm all for players facing the music if they test positive, even if those guys are Yankees, and I'm all for MLB doing everything possible to eliminate the use of performance enchancers. However, I am very strongly against this becoming a witch-hunt.

Van Slyke never saw Bonds take anything and he has an agenda if he and Bonds hated each other when they played together.

-Deborah

pacewon
03-03-04, 03:28 PM
Meanwhile, Johnny Gayman chimes in with this:

Damon played with one of the players named (do your homework, people). Says Damon, "I know he's done stuff in the past. He's made a lot of money. Hopefully, he's aware, he'll stop, and he'll continue to play well."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2004/03/03/baseball_has_to_step_up_to_the_plate/

PinstripePride
03-03-04, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by pacewon
Meanwhile, Johnny Gayman chimes in

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bub
03-03-04, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by StaceyRosie
Why am I drawing a blank on Andy Van Slyke? What position did he play with the Pirates? Centerfield. He was one of the best defensive players from his era, with a very strong and accurate arm. He also chewed up righties with a powerful lefty bat.

JeffWeaverFan
03-03-04, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by KC

I agree. You can condem steriods without singling players out.
He was asked about Bonds and he answered, nothing wrong with that. And it's not like he said anythign outragious, he just said what everybody knows.

SuperMario66
03-03-04, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by JeffWeaverFan

He was asked about Bonds and he answered, nothing wrong with that. And it's not like he said anythign outragious, he just said what everybody knows.

Yep. And maybe people shouldn't be singling out people if they aren't absolutely positive of their use of steroids, but something has got to be done. I really don't care what it is either, but somebody has got to step up and work to get this problem solved.

NYYFAN
03-03-04, 11:57 PM
Rest in Peace Roger Maris...your still #1 in my book...

Sixty one
03-04-04, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN

Amen to that!:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

derekjeter916
03-04-04, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN

I think that McGwire should have TWO asteriks next to his name in the record books, and Bonds should have FOUR.

Irabu's Son
03-05-04, 09:42 AM

something has got to be done.

I think MLB should wake up tomorrow and decide they're testing every single player this weekend. Any player who refuses gets an automatic "positive". If the Player's Association has a problem with it, that just admits guilt. Too f'n bad, IMO. Time to start protecting the clean guys. Oh, and publish the results. When is something going to be done?????