PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Deal Alex Kovalev to Canadiens

Stick Michael
03-03-04, 03:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1749452

The New York Rangers traded right wing Alex Kovalev to the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday night for forward prospect Josef Balej and a second-round pick in this year's draft.

This could be the first of many deals for Sather. His underachieving team is still filled with expensive chips -- such as defenseman Brian Leetch and forwards Eric Lindros and Petr Nedved -- that could be attractive for playoff teams.

---

Riiiight...because teams are just beating down the doors for overpriced, injured, and/or underachieving forwards...and can someone please explain to me why Teflon Glen is still calling the shots?

James

#1PaFan
03-03-04, 03:12 AM
REAL Athletes' names don't end in a "j" a "v" or a "ved."

It just ain't natural, man.

I just hope this doesn't hurt my chances for the Opening Day Tickets to a REAL sporting event!!!! :) :gulp:

Flaz
03-03-04, 04:16 AM
This is a great deal. Balej is 5th in the AHL in scoring having put up 25 goals and 33 assists for 58 points in 55 games with the Hamilton Bulldogs this season. He's been playing much better than the Habs' highly touted prospect Marcel Hossa for instance. And a 2nd round pick can never hurt. Great deal, Slats.

Also, here's a sign of what Balej can do

http://slam.canoe.ca/BulldogsImages04/balej.mpg

Stick Michael
03-03-04, 05:01 AM
No offense taken, George. The words "real athletes" and (New York) "Rangers" haven't belonged together in quite some time. I can admit that. ;)

James

Hitman23
03-03-04, 08:36 AM
Well, I can't say I'm sorry to see Alex go. He was always the guy with the potential to be a star. After a while you begin to wonder if it's ever going to happen.

I'm not liking Leetch on that list of trade bait though. :mad:

YankeeNut18
03-03-04, 09:39 AM
The Rangers really need a goalie more than anything. Dunham has been inconsistent over his career. If they could make a trade to Florida for Luongo, it would benefit them greatly. They need defense too, so Gonchar would be a good move, depending on who they give up.

I think trading Kovalev is a great trade. He was stellar in Pittsburgh and should do fine in Montreal. I think he's just one of those players who can't cut it in New York.

JfromJersey
03-03-04, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Hitman23
Well, I can't say I'm sorry to see Alex go. He was always the guy with the potential to be a star. After a while you begin to wonder if it's ever going to happen.

He WAS a star in Pittsburgh. He never really fit in here.

Flaz
03-03-04, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by YankeeNut18
The Rangers really need a goalie more than anything. Dunham has been inconsistent over his career. If they could make a trade to Florida for Luongo, it would benefit them greatly. They need defense too, so Gonchar would be a good move, depending on who they give up.

Well Gonchar was already dealt to Boston.

And as for needing a goalie, I disagree (and there is no way in hell the Panthers would even consider trading Luongo). Dunham needs to go, but since the Rangers aren't winning anything in the next 3 years or so anyway, they might as well make Markkanen the starting goalie next year (if there is any hockey), make LaBarbera his back-up and let Blackburn & Lundqvist share the goaltending duties in Hartford.

And then in 2005-2006 they could let Markkanen & Labs go when Blackburn and Lundqvist are ready to take over.

Altho, I gotta say that I'm really worried about Blackburn. His injury has now basically set him back 3 years if one thinks that he should have played in juniors one more year. Lundqvist however is the best goalie prospect to come from Sweden in decades -- he put up insane numbers last year and is playing awesome this year again. He's just unreal. He will most likely back up Tommy Salo in the World Cup and he's a lock to make the Swedish World Championship Team this April.

What the Rangers need is pretty much everything except goalies. We need more top-6 forwards, more solid defensemen and a new coaching staff to implement a defensive system.

As for Kovalev, I think he'll do great in Montreal. The guy was just allergic to NY, but proved in Pittsburgh that he can be one of the best players in the world.

tiyuri
03-03-04, 12:23 PM
Gonchar doesn't play defense (and was traded to Boston anyway), he is Poti with more offensive skills.

Luongo is Florida's franchise goalie they are not giving him up. I have not given up on Blackburn, I still think he can be a star in this league.

Kovalev just could not play in New York. The media and fan scrutiny killed his confidence and by extension his game.

For a guy who goes UFA in 4 weeks a good prospect and a pick is a good deal.

For those who think Kovy will find his Pittsburgh form in Montreal, I doubt it. If anything the media and fan scrutiny is worse in Montreal than it is in New York.

yankeesnum1
03-03-04, 12:24 PM
Great trade!

I have no problem with any trade they make, but LEAVE Leetch ALONE
He's a Ranger, just like Mattingly is a Yankee

Hitman23
03-03-04, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by JfromJersey
He WAS a star in Pittsburgh. He never really fit in here. he had one good year. I still think he underachieved there.

Hitman23
03-03-04, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by yankeesnum1
I have no problem with any trade they make, but LEAVE Leetch ALONE
He's a Ranger, just like Mattingly is a Yankee I agree with you but the Rangers should see what he wants. I bet if you asked leetch he'd want to stay here until he retires. If he says he wants to go to win a cup then let him loose.

Flaz
03-03-04, 12:40 PM
Leetch has been saying that the organization has been too god to him for him to demand any special treatment.

I would hate to see Leetch go, but if the right deal to improve the team in the long runs comes, you have to move Brian as much as it might hurt. He will still be a Ranger forever no matter where he plays next week.

tiyuri
03-03-04, 12:43 PM
Honestly, I don't expect the Rangers to be competitive before Leetch retires. As much as I am a fan of his we have to think of the long term good of this franchise. If we get close to what Washington got for Gonchar (a top 4 defensive prospect and two high picks) then you have to do it.

yankeesnum1
03-03-04, 12:53 PM
I agree with you but the Rangers should see what he wants. I bet if you asked leetch he'd want to stay here until he retires. If he says he wants to go to win a cup then let him loose.

I never looked at it that way. If he goes, it will be a sad day

patrick.o
03-03-04, 01:20 PM
oy vey. Kovalev can't handle NY but he's coming to Montreal? :rolleyes: greeeaat. Boy, we get the Rangers Kovalev instead of the Penguins Kovalev, there are going to be a lot of unhappy Quebecios. I've been waiting for Berard.

ALR83
03-03-04, 04:36 PM

Neither. am. I. &po'd&

Originally posted by Flaz
they might as well make Markkanen the starting goalie next year (if there is any hockey), make LaBarbera his back-up and let Blackburn & Lundqvist share the goaltending duties in Hartford.

And then in 2005-2006 they could let Markkanen & Labs go when Blackburn and Lundqvist are ready to take over.

With Markkanen and LaBarbera and a younger less experienced team, next year could we possibly lose even worse than this year and possibly have a chance to get Crosby?! THEN having a player like him, plus Blackburn and Lundqvist as our goalies, some of our other prospects the Rangers are high on, is it wrong of me to think that or is it possible that could be the team in a few years? I think I dream way too big lol.

JeffWeaverFan
03-03-04, 05:28 PM
I understand not wanting to trade Leetch, but I think at this point of time, we should try to trade all the veterans for young talent. We have got to start rebuilding at some point of time, and this is the way to do it.

ALR83
03-03-04, 06:25 PM
Nedved and Markkanen are also gone. Damn, he's shipping them out pretty quick lol. I'm actually kind of upset about Jussi, he didn't play bad when he got the chance. And I love Nedved so I'm sad to see him go, but oh well it's for the better of the team.

Rich
03-03-04, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by ALR83
Nedved and Markkanen are also gone. Damn, he's shipping them out pretty quick lol. I'm actually kind of upset about Jussi, he didn't play bad when he got the chance. And I love Nedved so I'm sad to see him go, but oh well it's for the better of the team.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=74788

It doesn't look like they got much. Helminen is their 15th rated prospect, according to Hockey's Future, although they have the 3rd rated system.

AMC
03-04-04, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Stick Michael
Riiiight...because teams are just beating down the doors for overpriced, injured, and/or underachieving forwards

What was that? ;)

Rich
03-06-04, 01:29 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2205258

Forward hurt in first game with Habs

Associated Press

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) Alex Kovalev lasted about one-half game with his new team.

The new Montreal right wing absorbed what he described as a mild shoulder separation Friday night in the second period of a 4-3 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes.

"I feel like it's not going to take that long," said Kovalev, who joined the Canadiens on Wednesday after the New York Rangers traded him for prospect Josef Balej and a second-round draft pick. "I had a separation in that left shoulder, it was separated a lot worse than I had now. You can see I'm moving my arm and everything, so it feels more like a bruise."

Coach Claude Julien listed Kovalev as day-to-day.

SuperMario66
03-06-04, 12:56 PM
It seems that nothing ever really works out for Kovi. The only time he was playing up to the publics standards was when he was on a line with Lemieux.

patrick.o
03-06-04, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66
It seems that nothing ever really works out for Kovi.
**** Kovalev, it's not him, it's the Habs that nothing ever works out for. They've been cursed since the day they traded Roy away. Either that or when they left the old Forum the ghosts stayed behind.

Either way it just ****ing sucks. They've missed the playoffs as many times in the last 9 years as they did in the 80 years before that. It's a sad state of affairs and it's breaking my hockey heart.

NYYFAN
03-06-04, 11:45 PM
:snooze:

Rich
03-08-04, 04:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1754130

Rangers trade Malakov

PHILADELPHIA -- The New York Rangers continued to overhaul their lineup, sending defenseman Vladimir Malakhov to the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday.

After having just five true defensemen available in Saturday's 2-1 loss to Washington, the Flyers picked up Malakhov before Tuesday's 3 p.m. EST trade deadline for junior prospect Rick Kozak and a second-round pick in the 2005 draft.

SuperMario66
03-08-04, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Rich

Rangers trade Malakov

PHILADELPHIA -- The New York Rangers continued to overhaul their lineup, sending defenseman Vladimir Malakhov to the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday.

Good trade for Philly.

JeffWeaverFan
03-08-04, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Rich

Rangers trade Malakov

After having just five true defensemen available in Saturday's 2-1 loss to Washington, the Flyers picked up Malakhov before Tuesday's 3 p.m. EST trade deadline for junior prospect Rick Kozak and a second-round pick in the 2005 draft.
Does anyone know anything about Kozak? Is he any good?

tiyuri
03-08-04, 05:06 PM
He is a goon in the WHL. Nothing special. This was a great trade for the Rangers. Malakhov is awful and old. A second rd pick is certainly a coup.

ALR83
03-08-04, 05:08 PM
Good trade for Philly? Vlad has a heart, but rarely brings it to games and said he wants to retire after this season. People call him Maladog for a reason. :lol: I think the Rangers got the better end of the deal.

Rich
03-08-04, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ALR83
Good trade for Philly? Vlad has a heart, but rarely brings it to games and said he wants to retire after this season. People call him Maladog for a reason. :lol: I think the Rangers got the better end of the deal.

I read Hockeys Future's Flyers and Rangers boards. Both agree that a 4th rounder for Maladog would have been a lot.

Rich
03-08-04, 05:31 PM
From The Hockey News:

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/tradelog.cgi?trade&x_id=28

What does it give the New York Rangers?
While Kozak is a decent prospect with still more growing to do, the real key to the trade from a Rangers perspective is the second-round pick in what is expected to be a very deep draft (2005). It's been a long time coming but the Blueshirts are finally going about their rebuilding plan the right way.

Short Term Analysis
Malakhov will have minimal impact in Philly, though they still win the deal for the time being.

Long Term Analysis
Down the road, this move may be looked upon as one of Glen Sather's best during his tenure with the Rangers.

ALR83
03-08-04, 06:06 PM
I love those boards, great info and cool people. Especially the Leafs fans since the trade.

I really didn't think they would get what they did. 2nd rounder next year and a prospect? I'm not complaining. :lol: It just means even more ice time for Tyutin. He played about 21 or 22 minutes yesterday which I think was the most he's played since he's been here.