PDA

View Full Version : Too bad I was only 2 years old...

Espinosa's Glasses
03-02-04, 08:49 PM
I would have had good stories if I was a wee bit older... My grandmother lived across the street from Joe Dugan's relatives in Pennsylvania... also... all lived in the same town where Joe grew up... but he died 2 years after I was born...

for all the people I have met... He would have been right up there with Mick and JoeD

Screw all the steriod talk... who was the friendliest player you've ever met...?

cubswin
03-02-04, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Espinosa's Glasses
I would have had good stories if I was a wee bit older... My grandmother lived across the street from Joe Dugan's relatives in Pennsylvania... also... all lived in the same town where Joe grew up... but he died 2 years after I was born...

for all the people I have met... He would have been right up there with Mick and JoeD

Screw all the steriod talk... who was the friendliest player you've ever met...?

Haven't met a lot. Mark Grace was great -- once had a beer with him. Mo Vaughn, also -- had a conversation with him before a road game -- he was on his way in from warmups, I said something I thought might interest him re a former teammate (both Seton hall and Sox) and he came back out of the dugout to chat for a while. Roger Clemens was great to us when we were teens outside Boston -- very generous ($, memorabilia, etc.).

Espinosa's Glasses
03-02-04, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by cubswin

Haven't met a lot. Mark Grace was great -- once had a beer with him. Mo Vaughn, also -- had a conversation with him before a road game -- he was on his way in from warmups, I said something I thought might interest him re a former teammate (both Seton hall and Sox) and he came back out of the dugout to chat for a while. Roger Clemens was great to us when we were teens outside Boston -- very generous ($, memorabilia, etc.).

I actually met Clemens twice... once with the Sox in 89... ( I was only 8 but I had visions... and a dream)... and in 2002... he was great both times... real nice... so was Boggs too...

I met Grace as a kid... don't really remember

my dad goes to crazy autograph shows... too much money... too much time... he doesn't even really care about the autographs that much... but you can't just get in line to talk for 3 minutes and shake their hand

Big_E
03-02-04, 09:56 PM
Steve Howe, Bob Feller. Howe and I talked about Montana, while I met Feller at a Yankees OT game when I was 12.

FutureYankee
03-02-04, 10:36 PM
bernie williams, ladies and gentlemen. hes awesome, ive had lunch with him twice (chance meetings at the washington irving boatclub in tarrytown) and hes the nicest guy in the world. heard some great stories, saw those rings, checked out his (sweeeet) harley and just bsed for an hour or so. good times... good times

Nettles dfw
03-02-04, 10:48 PM
Have met very few players ... and no superstars.

I did meet Clem Labine (ex Dodger who moved from Brooklyn to LA with the team). The reason for this post is because he was very, very nice and was extremely interesting to listen to.

Dooley Womack
03-03-04, 12:24 AM
The biggest jerk was Ruppert Jones. After one game I got his autograph and excitedly turned to my friend and showed him the ball. While this was going on, and unbeknownst to me, Ruppert whispered some crude advances to my sister who was 15 at the time. She told us afterwards what he said, and it wasn't exactly, "How are you young lady?" I swear, if I would have heard him, I'd have popped him.

I think he only lasted one season in pinstripes. He was called "Little Reggie" (Jackson), but stunk up the joint. Good.

cubswin
03-03-04, 12:45 AM
Also met Gary Carter, who was a decent guy (which surprised me, to be honest)

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
03-03-04, 12:46 AM
I haven't met any baseball players yet. :(

But I HAVE met some football players. ;) Brandon Noble, who was starting nose tackle for the Cowboys, was the sweetest, most accommodating guy, staying after practice every single day to sign autographs for EVERYONE who wanted them. Too bad he jumped ship to the Redskins and now I hate him (he got injured before the season started and spent it on IR... that's what happens...). Tiki Barber is also a very gracious guy, considering when I met him at the DFW airport after a Giants-'Boys game, I was still all decked out in my Cowboys gear, warpaint and all. Great guy, fabulous smile, but problems with dropping things even off the field (a lot of y'all have already heard my official "Tiki Barber Story" so I won't tell it again).

Hopefully I'll meet some baseball dudes soon.

Dooley Womack
03-03-04, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by cubswin
Also met Gary Carter, who was a decent guy (which surprised me, to be honest)

Yeah, Gary always seemed to be putting on that fake smile. But, I heard from those who have met him that it's actually not fake and he seems very sincere.

Guess you can't judge a book by its cover, huh....

Espinosa's Glasses
03-03-04, 07:49 AM
Nice Guys... to name a few... Tino, Posada, Cone, Wells,
Doc, Daryl, LEFTY (I WORE HIS WS RING WHEN I WAS FOUR), Rizzuto was the nicest, Reggie was nice (signed alot) Mick, O'neill's great, ... oh man there is like 100 more... I just need more time to think...

All I can tell you that the two bigggggest Assmen.... were... Ozzie Canseco, and Mike Schmidt.... <---- especially Schmidt... so selfish he bitched when I wanted a pic with him... literally bitched out loud...