PDA

View Full Version : What if a player lied to the Grand Jury?

JeffWeaverFan
03-02-04, 05:10 PM
What happens if a player is proved to have used steroids and lied to the Grand Jury about using? I am just hoping that they (or at least our guys) did not do anything stupid like that. Thoughts?

Yanks21
03-02-04, 05:54 PM
Anyone who lies to a grand jury could face the possibility of perjury charges. Prosecutors would have to prove that the one being charged knowingly received and ingested steroids, and then lied about it while under oath. It wouldn't be easy...

YankyDave
03-02-04, 06:02 PM
It'll all be he said/he said anyways.

Espinosa's Glasses
03-02-04, 06:28 PM
In all actuality... we have no clue that they didn't say that they did recieve steroids... and then just lied to the public... no one really has proof that they did take the steroids

FutureYankee
03-02-04, 10:59 PM
money buys freedom a lot of times, so it would take a LOT to get a conviction

NYCVirago
03-03-04, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by JeffWeaverFan
What happens if a player is proved to have used steroids and lied to the Grand Jury about using? I am just hoping that they (or at least our guys) did not do anything stupid like that. Thoughts? If that's the case, they should probably call Chris Webber for advice!

Seriously, they'll be in deep trouble if they're proven to have lied to a grand jury. As the Chris Webber case proved, it's not a bright idea to lie under oath. I'm not sure if baseball can suspend them like basketball did Webber, but they'd probably be criminally prosecuted for lying, if they did so.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-03-04, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Espinosa's Glasses
In all actuality... we have no clue that they didn't say that they did recieve steroids... and then just lied to the public... no one really has proof that they did take the steroids
Huh? The Grand Jury testimony isn't sealed - if they admitted using steroids to the grand jury, we'd have known about it about 20 minutes after they said it.

Espinosa's Glasses
03-03-04, 09:51 AM
hey man... its just hearsay... I heard it on ESPN radio yesterday... on Tony's show or the Dan Patrick show... they said that it is possible that they were granted immunity for testifying against BALCO... and we do not know what was said in the court... all we had was reporters asking the certain players how it went... and they said "fine" "good"... dandy

JfromJersey
03-03-04, 11:05 AM
I'm sure all these athletes who were subpoenaed to testify consulted their own attorneys before doing so. I'm quite sure they were made aware of all the legal ramifications of their testimonies. Unless they have hacks for lawyers I wouldn't be too concerned.