PDA

View Full Version : Bostonians to decide Bill Buckner's fate

GG2112
02-28-04, 10:01 PM
Hehe...poor Buckner.

http://www.sperts.net/article.php?page=149

Dooley Womack
02-28-04, 10:05 PM
They've already made his life such a living hell that he had to leave Mass a few years ago. He received constant death threats, harrassment, etc.

Nice people them gracious BoSux fans are....

BillBuckner
02-28-04, 10:34 PM
Like no other Red Sox player has ever made an error before. What a pathetic sports town.

ring403
02-28-04, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by GG2112
Hehe...poor Buckner.

http://www.sperts.net/article.php?page=149

psssst...wrong forum. :)

deranged2005
02-28-04, 11:14 PM
Pretty awful. Real class, eh Boston?

What's next? Burn Grady at the stake?

GG2112
02-28-04, 11:16 PM
I thought Yankees fans would especially get a kick out of it, ring. :)

NDBoston
02-28-04, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Dooley Womack
They've already made his life such a living hell that he had to leave Mass a few years ago. He received constant death threats, harrassment, etc.

Nice people them gracious BoSux fans are....

Every fanbase has things they aren't proud of. Idiots are everywhere.

nahzo
02-28-04, 11:37 PM
Isn't this a comedy piece? I thought thats what sperts.net was all about...

NDBoston
02-28-04, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by nahzo
Isn't this a comedy piece? I thought thats what sperts.net was all about...

I thought everyone realized that.

Now THAT is funny.

:lol:

SuperMario66
02-28-04, 11:53 PM
Oh dear gollum... Boston fans are bad, but not THAT bad.

GG2112
02-29-04, 12:00 AM
Hey Ring...I don't have enough posts yet to send the PM apparently, so here it is:

Thanks for the warm welcome Ring...good to know that all Yankee fans aren't jerks! Hehe...just kidding.

I sold a few Jays/Yankees tickets today to some New Yorkers...I work for the Jays ticket office...maybe I can set you guys up, hehe...

I'll be around to see how the post is received, and participate as much as I can.

See ya around.

EmpireState
02-29-04, 12:18 AM
I guess it is easier to blame the extension of the curse on one guy than the entire 1986 team. How can so many baseball officianados from Boston forget that the Mets swung for, what 4 or 5 straight hits in that 9th inning?

As for Buckner, former Red Sox or not, I truly feel sorry for the guy. About 5 or 6 years ago (while an assistant coach on some team), Bill was signing autographs for kids when some jagoff adult heckled, "Watch it kid! He may let it slip through his legs!" Thankfully, Buckner threw the guy up against a wall, but then unfortunately was restrained. I think Bill needs to vent his frustrations on Fenway somehow.

northern
02-29-04, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by deranged2005
Pretty awful. Real class, eh Boston?

What's next? Burn Grady at the stake? Sounds good to me!:evil:

JDPNYY
02-29-04, 08:45 AM
Comedy or not... the man has suffered long and hard & doesn't deserve this.

It was McNamara's fault anyway. Buckner was hurting and had no place being in that game at that time. Where was Dave Stapleton as the defensive replacement?

1986... the worst year in MLB History. The year I wished no one won the World Series.

Let Bill live in peace.

BillBuckner
02-29-04, 09:45 AM
Well I hope to God that was just a joke.

And if theyre going to execute anyone it should be their $hitty management... theyre the reason they havent won anything the last 90 years.

NDBoston
02-29-04, 09:58 AM
I'm more worried for the people who thought this was real.

NYYFAN
02-29-04, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by GG2112
Hey Ring...I don't have enough posts yet to send the PM apparently, so here it is:

Thanks for the warm welcome Ring...good to know that all Yankee fans aren't jerks! Hehe...just kidding.

I sold a few Jays/Yankees tickets today to some New Yorkers...I work for the Jays ticket office...maybe I can set you guys up, hehe...

I'll be around to see how the post is received, and participate as much as I can.

See ya around.

So is selling Jays tickets equal to being the Maytag repairman? :D

PinstripePride
02-29-04, 11:36 AM
No offense to GG2112, but I don't find that even mildly funny.

I'm with JDPNYY on this, enough is enough. Comedy or not.

VanHalen5150
02-29-04, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by BillBuckner
Well I hope to God that was just a joke.

And if theyre going to execute anyone it should be their $hitty management... theyre the reason they havent won anything the last 90 years.

You seriously thought this Buckner article is legit? Do you know that killing somebody is illegal? After I read "City council is holding a referendum asking citizens how they want to end the life of Bill Buckner, the man whose fielding blunder cost the Red Sox the 1986 World Series.", I knew this was a joke and I think anybody with half a brain would realize this too.

patrick.o
02-29-04, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by JDPNYY
Comedy or not... the man has suffered long and hard & doesn't deserve this.

It was McNamara's fault anyway. Buckner was hurting and had no place being in that game at that time. Where was Dave Stapleton as the defensive replacement?

Let Bill live in peace.
I couldn't agree more. I aways feel silly when I end up defending Buckner against the slights of Sox fans who are too young to remember what really happened. Besides McNamara's obvious gaffe, there are a whole lot of Boston relievers who should give thanks every single day that Buckner's error deflected attention away from their failures.

nufced1918
02-29-04, 02:41 PM
Rich Gedman was the real goat in Game 6 and he knew it. Being from New England he knew more than any other player how much it meant to the region. He took it very, very hard.

His career bottomed out after that

NelsonMuntz
02-29-04, 03:10 PM
If I recall correctly, the tying run had already been scored prior to Buckner's error, right? If that is true, why is Buckner viewed as the guy who cost the Sox the series? There is no guarantee that Boston would have won the game even if he hadn't committed the error.

WIZ
02-29-04, 03:30 PM
hire Buckner as a coach so that he can jump in the pile right after we win the 2004 WS. :lol:

nufced1918
02-29-04, 03:42 PM
METS 10TH: Backman made an out to Rice; Hernandez flied to
Henderson; Carter singled to Rice (it was the 2-1 pitch);
MITCHELL BATTED FOR AGUILERA; Mitchell singled to Henderson (it
was the 0-1 pitch) [Carter to second]; Knight singled to
Henderson (it was the 0-2 pitch) [Carter scored, Mitchell to
third]; STANLEY REPLACED SCHIRALDI (PITCHING); Stanley threw a
wild pitch (it was the 3-2 pitch) [Mitchell scored, Knight to
second]; Wilson reached on an error by Buckner (it was the 3-2
pitch) [Knight scored (unearned), Wilson to first]
3 R, 3 H, 1E, 1 LOB. Red Sox 5, Mets 6.

Originally posted by NelsonMuntz
If I recall correctly, the tying run had already been scored prior to Buckner's error, right? If that is true, why is Buckner viewed as the guy who cost the Sox the series? There is no guarantee that Boston would have won the game even if he hadn't committed the error.

History is strange. Everybody remembers Bucky Dent, but his homer did not win the game.

YANKEES 7TH: Nettles made an out to Rice; Chambliss singled to
Yastrzemski; White singled to Lynn [Chambliss to second];
SPENCER BATTED FOR DOYLE; Spencer made an out to Yastrzemski;
Dent homered [Chambliss scored, White scored]; The HR that
broke New England's back; Rivers walked; STANLEY REPLACED
TORREZ (PITCHING); Rivers stole second; Munson doubled to Lynn
[Rivers scored]; Piniella made an out to Rice; 4 R, 4 H, 0 E, 1
LOB. Yankees 4, Red Sox 2.

RED SOX 7TH: STANLEY REPLACED SPENCER (PLAYING 2B); Hobson
struck out; Scott singled to Piniella; GOSSAGE REPLACED GUIDRY
(PITCHING); BAILEY BATTED FOR BROHAMER; Munson allowed a passed
ball [Scott to second]; Bailey struck out; Burleson grounded out
(Dent to Chambliss); 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Yankees 4, Red Sox 2.

YANKEES 8TH: DUFFY REPLACED BAILEY (PLAYING 3B); Jackson
homered; HASSLER REPLACED STANLEY (PITCHING); Nettles struck
out; Chambliss grounded out (Remy to Scott); White grounded out
(Remy to Scott); 1 R, 1 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. Yankees 5, Red Sox 2.

Dooley Womack
03-01-04, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by NDBoston

Every fanbase has things they aren't proud of. Idiots are everywhere.

Agreed. Good thing the Yank fans didn't do the same to Mo after Alomar's homer or game 7 of the D'backs series. But the potential was there for the crazies.

NDBoston
03-01-04, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Dooley Womack

Agreed. Good thing the Yank fans didn't do the same to Mo after Alomar's homer or game 7 of the D'backs series. But the potential was there for the crazies.

They save their wrath for the opposing side. Ask Wally Joyner.

Pomp
03-01-04, 08:01 AM
What many people seem to forget about the Buckner error is that if he made that play, the Red Sox didn't win. The game would have gone into extra innings because the game was tied at that point. The players that should really be held accountable are the relievers that blew the lead for Boston..I think they are Calvin Schiraldi and Mike Stanley. They should be the goats.

LoneRedSeat
03-01-04, 10:05 AM
Bill Buckner played an impressive 22 years in MLB. He began his career with the Dodgers in 1969, and it is important to note, he ended his career with the Boston Red Sox.

In 1987, he was released by the Sox after playing in 75 games. He was picked up by the Angels for a season and a half, then released. He signed with KC, and was released after the 1989 season.

In the offseason, Buckner signed with Boston. On opening day at Fenway Park, 1990, Bill Buckner was announced to a standing ovation.

WindRavenX
03-01-04, 10:16 AM
Damn, I was really scared for a second that this was real :uhh:
Sox fans can be drunken boobs if you bring up Buckner, but they aren't THAT bloodthirsty.
Most just sob into their drink whenever Buckner or Boone is mentioned.

NDBoston
03-01-04, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by WindRavenX
Damn, I was really scared for a second that this was real :uhh:
Sox fans can be drunken boobs if you bring up Buckner, but they aren't THAT bloodthirsty.
Most just sob into their drink whenever Buckner or Boone is mentioned.

since you're 19, how would you know that exactly?

OT BC is having a great year in hoops.It's a shame nobody in Boston realizes it.

WindRavenX
03-01-04, 10:36 AM

since you're 19, how would you know that exactly?

OT BC is having a great year in hoops.It's a shame nobody in Boston realizes it.
Boston is a great town- no one checks my ID :lol: :lol: :lol:
BC hoops?? Try BC hockey- we're #1 in the nation,we just clinched the Big East, AND we beat BU for the Beanpot. Booyah!
Seriously, there's nothing funnier than mentioned Buckner or Boone in a bar....

NDBoston
03-01-04, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by WindRavenX

Boston is a great town- no one checks my ID :lol: :lol: :lol:
BC hoops?? Try BC hockey- we're #1 in the nation,we just clinched the Big East, AND we beat BU for the Beanpot. Booyah!
Seriously, there's nothing funnier than mentioned Buckner or Boone in a bar....

I'm 30 and I have my ID checked everywhere.

Pedro's cuff
03-01-04, 01:24 PM

Nettles dfw
03-01-04, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by nufced1918
History is strange. Everybody remembers Bucky Dent, but his homer did not win the game
...I agree.

Virtually no one remembers that Rivers and Munson (batting 2nd in the order) reached after Dent. While both the Buckner play and Dent Home Run are huge plays, I do think a little too much is made out of them.