PDA

View Full Version : Fenway Park looks like it safe for now

nufced1918
02-26-04, 05:29 PM
The big news out of Fort Myers yesterday would indicate the Red Sox are planning on staying at Fenway Park for the long term.

from News Press Ft Myers

“We want to renovate Fenway, not explore new ballpark possibilities,” Lucchino said. “One of the things we’re debating is how much bigger it can get. We don’t think Fenway still can be Fenway if it’s 48,000 seats. Fenway is what it is because of its intimacy.”

http://www.news-press.com/news/sports/040226redsox.html

from the Boston Herald

``We've always said our preference is to stay in Fenway Park if we could do a renovation and (alleviate) some of the problems people have,'' Werner said. ``I think we've made substantial strides in making Fenway better and emotionally we'd like to figure out (the long-term feasibility).

``We don't need 60,000 fans every night,'' Werner added. ``We need to make sure the park is as enjoyable as possible because our ticket prices are so high.''

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=536

I haven't seen figures yet for 2002 but as the spreadsheet from Doug Pappas shows below the Sox are doing just fine thank you.

Estimated MLB Revenues/Income/Franchise Values, 1990-2002 (need EXCEL to open) (http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/MLBRevProf.xls)

note: Doug Pappas who writes for Boston Baseball has perhaps the best website covering the business of baseball. It is a fine resource

Doug Pappas's Business of Baseball Pages (http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/index.htm)

When the 600 Club was built in after the 1988 season, I remember being told that the Sox had been given a report that Fenway Park had about 20 years of life left. We are talking about a foundation of wood piles into filled in land that was done quickly in 1912. (the park was built in less than 6 months)

While the park was rebuilt in 1933-4, the foundation has not seen the light of say since it was built.

Back in 2000 the Save Fenway Park had a major 4 days confab where experts from around the country gave presentations on what could and could not be done.

http://www.savefenwaypark.com/symp.cfm

I did come away from this thinking it "maybe" possible to do something, but I still do not think the team can play there doing recontruction. One proposal even had home plate moved to RF , with the bleachers being the first base grandstand and the monster in RF for a year, as the grandstand was being rebuilt.

I have to believe that if they renovate, we looking at Foxboro for a year or 2.

from the Herald (July 2002)

Let's play ball, baseball

File this away for future reference in case the Red Sox renovate Fenway Park and they need a temporary home for a season or two: With only some minor tinkering, the Pats' new CMGI Field can be fitted for baseball. . . .

It would not be pretty, but people would go. Look at the crowds the Red Sox attracted in Philadelphia last year. The Phillies 2 biggest crowds of the year came against Boston, and keep in mind the Phillies had big events planed for the final game at the Vet.

YankeePride1967
02-26-04, 10:17 PM
I know at some point, Fenway, Wrigley and Yankee Stadium will be no more, but I hope it's as far in the future as possible. I hate the Sox but I love that Field. I love going there.

Red Sox 2004
02-26-04, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket
I know at some point, Fenway, Wrigley and Yankee Stadium will be no more, but I hope it's as far in the future as possible. I hate the Sox but I love that Field. I love going there.

Yankee Stadium is in much more dire straits than either Fenway or Wrigley - our respective owners have stated their commitment to both parks. Your owner (the main reason that many fans have left your team) consistently states that he wants a new stadium ELSEWHERE. Dance with the devil and you'll get burnt - remember Georgie enjoys baseball, likes football better, but loves tweaking the Red Sox - is that really healthy? He spits on the legend of the Yankee's of old daily.

WindRavenX
02-26-04, 10:25 PM
Fenway, Wrigley, and Yankee Stadium are all, IMO, national monuments and should be preserved.
I LOVE Fenway- man that park is just friggin' great. Even if the bleacher seats are 20 bucks :)

SuperMario66
02-26-04, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red Sox 2004

Yankee Stadium is in much more dire straits than either Fenway or Wrigley - our respective owners have stated their commitment to both parks. Your owner (the main reason that many fans have left your team) consistently states that he wants a new stadium ELSEWHERE. Dance with the devil and you'll get burnt - remember Georgie enjoys baseball, likes football better, but loves tweaking the Red Sox - is that really healthy? He spits on the legend of the Yankee's of old daily. [/QUOTE

I am speechless... I don't even know how to react to that. You claiming that our owner 'spits on the legend of the Yankee's of old day' is the biggest crock of sh*t that I have ever heard. Your hate for this team is the only thing fueling your fire and you seriously need to chill.

Red Sox 2004
02-26-04, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66
[QUOTE]
Your hate for this team is the only thing fueling your fire and you seriously need to chill.

Read some of my other postings and you will know that this is not true at all. Deal with reality...I said nothing untrue. Ask Yogi.

Rich
02-26-04, 11:58 PM
Why did it take them so long to put seats on top of the Green Monster?

Red Sox 2004
02-27-04, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Rich
Why did it take them so long to put seats on top of the Green Monster?

I dunno...I wish I could afford one. Did you see the game where they had BFD sitting on top of it? Priceless.

cubswin
02-27-04, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by WindRavenX
Fenway, Wrigley, and Yankee Stadium are all, IMO, national monuments and should be preserved.
I LOVE Fenway- man that park is just friggin' great. Even if the bleacher seats are 20 bucks :)

how much are they in NY?

pacewon
02-27-04, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Red Sox 2004
Your owner (the main reason that many fans have left your team)

I have yet to meet 1 Yankee fan in my entire life (and I know a lot of them) who have "left the team" because of Steinbrenner, so I really have no idea where that claim is coming from.

Btw...

Our owner is the main reason why A-Rod is a Yankee.

Your owner is the main reason why A-Rod is not a Red Sock.

jojos_2
02-27-04, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by pacewon

I have yet to meet 1 Yankee fan in my entire life (and I know a lot of them) who have "left the team" because of Steinbrenner, so I really have no idea where that claim is coming from.

I don't see why fans would "leave the team" over an owner who is solely committed to winning... *shrugs*

YANKEE MAGIC
02-27-04, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by jojos_2

I don't see why fans would "leave the team" over an owner who is solely committed to winning... *shrugs*

I agree....

Red Sox 2004
02-27-04, 05:45 AM

Btw...

Our owner is the main reason why A-Rod is a Yankee.

Do you think that this bothers us in the slightest? It hurt on the Saturday, stung on the Sunday, and by Monday we were healed. We are Red Sox fans, we've experienced much worse. And we've got better pitching.

Oh and why not take a survey of more former fans...I know of many fans (the bar around the corner from me will have 5 or 6 at any given time) that have left the Yankees because of "that man". A lot of wind up as Mets fans.

Pedro's cuff
02-27-04, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by GoRocket

They can't tear down Fenway soon enough. The place is a dump and it was built to accomodate what would now seem like a population of midgets. Just a horrible setup.

smr15
02-27-04, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by cubswin

how much are they in NY?
re: bleacher seat prices at YS

$8 if you buy them in advance, $10 on game day.

smr15
02-27-04, 07:30 AM
...I know of many fans (the bar around the corner from me will have 5 or 6 at any given time) that have left the Yankees because of "that man". A lot of wind up as Mets fans.
That's just silly.

NDBoston
02-27-04, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Pedro's cuff

They can't tear down Fenway soon enough. The place is a dump and it was built to accomodate what would now seem like a population of midgets. Just a horrible setup.

You are an astute poster, my man. A domed stadium on the waterfront would be the answer in any other city.

nufced1918
02-27-04, 08:14 AM
I have read reports that Steinbrenner making noise about the West Side again, so in that sense he is showing he doesn't care if NYY remains on sacred ground which the Stadium is.

As far as I can reseach this, when the Stadium was renovated in 74/75 the team entered into a 30 year lease with the City of NY who had bought the stadium land from The Knights of Columbus and Rice University. (There has to be a story on how those two combined to own the Stadium land). Obviously the 30 year mark is fast approaching.
The city also has a problem with the toxic dump known as Shea Stadium. Meanwhile Bloomberg is going full speed ahead on the 2012 Olympics.
Laugh if you will, but you may see the city press for one stadium for both clubs on the West Side. With 162 home games, they can then justify the extension of the 7 line from Times Sq to the stadium site. ( certainly makes more sense than a stadium for just 10 Jets games )

I would love to know the reason the State of New York never built a Metro-North platform at the Stadium as the tracks are there and feed into both the Harlem and New Haven branches. Fans in Westchester and Connecticut would pack those trains.

The Mets/Yankees sharing the same park? I think that is the only way Bloomberg puts city money into the pot for reasons mentioned above.

ring403
02-27-04, 09:52 AM

Do you think that this bothers us in the slightest? It hurt on the Saturday, stung on the Sunday, and by Monday we were healed. We are Red Sox fans, we've experienced much worse. And we've got better pitching.

Oh and why not take a survey of more former fans...I know of many fans (the bar around the corner from me will have 5 or 6 at any given time) that have left the Yankees because of "that man". A lot of wind up as Mets fans.

:lol: I'm gonna miss him.

cubswin
02-27-04, 10:04 AM
...Our owner is the main reason why A-Rod is a Yankee.

Re. the fans leaving the Yanks b/c of George, seems unlikely.

That said, there were plenty of people on this board who hated him before the A-Rod deal.

Re. Yanks getting him and Sox not -- it's unfortunate that the Yanks got him, b/c he improved their team. But the Sox not getting him was a good thing IMO, b/c the deal would have hurt them. Even if the relative difference were the same, I'd rather see the Yanks improve while Sox stay the same rather than the Yanks stay same while Sox get worse.

nufced1918
02-27-04, 10:52 AM
Thanks to idiots like Mayor Mumbles, it will never happen.

Boston had a chance 5 years ago to build both a Sox and Patriots park in the Seaport area. If Kraft had been allowed to build his retractable roof stadium, and the Sox had built next door, that in turned would have spawned hotels to help the convention center being built there, and Boston would have an area that would rival the Philadelphia sports complex. Instead, we have a beautiful football stadium in the woods of Foxboro, and probably at least another 10-15 years of fenway.

The people who love that park never sat in the grandstand which has less legroom than the Fung Wah Chinatown bus.

Originally posted by NDBoston

You are an astute poster, my man. A domed stadium on the waterfront would be the answer in any other city.

cubswin
02-27-04, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by nufced1918
Thanks to idiots like Mayor Mumbles, it will never happen.

Boston had a chance 5 years ago to build both a Sox and Patriots park in the Seaport area. If Kraft had been allowed to build his retractable roof stadium, and the Sox had built next door, that in turned would have spawned hotels to help the convention center being built there, and Boston would have an area that would rival the Philadelphia sports complex. Instead, we have a beautiful football stadium in the woods of Foxboro, and probably at least another 10-15 years of fenway.

The people who love that park never sat in the grandstand which has less legroom than the Fung Wah Chinatown bus.

fwiw, seats at beautiful new Reliant in Houston were les comfortable than the box seats at Fenway I was in this summer -- can't speak to the grandstand seats. but a new facility doesn't necessarily guarantee comfort. And I still got chills upon walking into Fenway -- pretty sure no new park will offer that.

Pomp
02-27-04, 01:49 PM

I think some of my brain cells were killed by reading that.

AnskyChris
02-29-04, 10:40 AM

I have never met anyone who is a "former" Yankee fan. If anyone changed over to Met fanhood, they were not a real Yankee fan to begin with. It's just sour grapes to say foolish things like that.

nufced1918
02-29-04, 12:01 PM
Over the past 40 years I think there have been shifts of fan loyalty in New York.

The years that CBS owned the club 65/72 are best described as the Horace Clark years. The Stadium was falling apart and fans were scared to go to the South Bronx. Meanwhile the Mets were in brand new Shea, and had an exciting team. Sons and daughters of Yankees fans became Mets fans.

It shifted back to NYY when the Stadium reopened, but tilted back to the Mets in the mid 80's.

The current Yankees popularity merges with the rebirth of New York as a whole. The subways don't frighten anymore, and the area of the South Bronx wheree the stadium sits has improved 1000% from the 70's.

2000 was put up or shut up time and it seems from this Boston observer that Yankees held a 70-30 edge in the fans hearts and reclaimed the city. The Yankees always were the team of Westchester, Faiirfield County CT and NJ, the boros tended to be National League. Upstate has always been Yankees, such as New England outside of Boston was always Red Sox over the Braves.

I still think NYC is headed for one stadium for both (Manhattan, west side), as there is no way the city will fund 2 stadiums. The city has to figure out how to fund the 7 line to the west side and maybe build the Second Av subway some 70 years after Robert Moses killed it.

chelloveck
02-29-04, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by cubswin

how much are they in NY?

bleacher seats in NY are 8-10 bucks