PDA

View Full Version : If Nomar is smart

RhodyYanksFan
02-26-04, 02:20 PM
He will not be on the Red Sox next year. I don't care where he goes but I don't see how he can personally play for them. In a ProJo article today ( http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20040226_26rsoxjo.c216b.html ) the genius Lucchino talked about the following:

"Lucchino also mentioned the term "hometown discount," hoping some of the players might take less to stay with Boston rather than test the free-agent waters. He also said he wasn't sure which players could be retained, but said the team wouldn't talk about ongoing negotiations."

Why would any player, much less one of Nomar's talent give a team a "hometown discount" after A) they rejected your offer and returned with a lower figure after the season, and B) openly tried to trade you in the offseason. I think that ties are already severed between Boston and Garciaparra and I wish him like in the free agent market. If he's not gonna become a Yankee, I hope he does well wherever he goes (just not Toronto!)

WindRavenX
02-26-04, 02:26 PM
I'm sure Nomar wouldn't mind coming over here....Maybe he can play second? :D
Come to the light Nomar...

Pedro's cuff
02-26-04, 02:29 PM
The last thing the Yankees need are two premier shortstops who are playing out of position so Captain Intangibles' ego won't be bruised.

NDBoston
02-26-04, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan
He will not be on the Red Sox next year. I don't care where he goes but I don't see how he can personally play for them. In a ProJo article today ( http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20040226_26rsoxjo.c216b.html ) the genius Lucchino talked about the following:

"Lucchino also mentioned the term "hometown discount," hoping some of the players might take less to stay with Boston rather than test the free-agent waters. He also said he wasn't sure which players could be retained, but said the team wouldn't talk about ongoing negotiations."

Why would any player, much less one of Nomar's talent give a team a "hometown discount" after A) they rejected your offer and returned with a lower figure after the season, and B) openly tried to trade you in the offseason. I think that ties are already severed between Boston and Garciaparra and I wish him like in the free agent market. If he's not gonna become a Yankee, I hope he does well wherever he goes (just not Toronto!)

They offer Nomar 15 million for 4 years and he turns it down. A market correction happens (see Vlad etc) so the offer goes down. It's a business, and it's the risk you take as a player or as a sales rep.

They entertained offers for Nomar AFTER they found out he wanted 17 million a year for 6 years, and Texas came to THEM. It was a way to dump Manny's contract and get a SS signed long term. the Red Sox couldn't help that Tom Hicks has a big mouth and the trade rumors started.

Did Lucchino mention Nomar taking a "Hometown Discount"? No. He mentioned all the free agents. Trot Nixon did it. I suspect Varitek might too. (Boras might squash that idea though)

Ownership is doing the best job they can spending 50% less than their main competition and frankly they have done a great job. Just imagine what the Red Sox would look like spending 87 million more.

KC
02-26-04, 02:40 PM
Just wondering what the gut feeling is for the Sox fans: Will Nomar stay?

NDBoston
02-26-04, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by KC

The SS for the Red Sox next year will be Edgar Renteria.

Pedro's cuff
02-26-04, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by KC

No, he's sick of dealing with these yahoos and their snake oil salesman.

RhodyYanksFan
02-26-04, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by NDBoston

The SS for the Red Sox next year will be Edgar Renteria.

I think the Cards have to re-sign him and let Morris walk. Renteria and Pujols are the future of that team and it'd be stupid to not build the team around them.

NDBoston
02-26-04, 03:34 PM

I think the Cards have to re-sign him and let Morris walk. Renteria and Pujols are the future of that team and it'd be stupid to not build the team around them.

Controversy in print and film is fine, but what La Russa wants from his team is a "boring camp." He probably won't get his wish given questions concerning everything from the proposed move of Albert Pujols from left field to first base to the depth of the starting rotation. And it didn't help that shortstop Edgar Renteria, apparently disgruntled about contract negotiations, was a no-show even though La Russa said he expects him to arrive today.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/sports/content/shared/sports/mlb/stories/0225_larussa.html;COXnetJSessionID=A9Ikqr3Po2pHC1tKPNHx0UBLw6sh0qqbgKQddxSlt83BMGIpI2xv!1302299068?urac=n&urvf=10777580526370.5476101841736115

cubswin
02-26-04, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by KC

My guess is yes, despite popular belief to the contrary. I'm guessing he opts to stay someplace where the fans care about the game. And, Schilling will help lessen the load that the media has attempted to put on Nomar et al in the past, which should make him a bit happier.

SuperMario66
02-26-04, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Pedro's cuff
The last thing the Yankees need are two premier shortstops who are playing out of position so Captain Intangibles' ego won't be bruised.

Can everybody freaking lay off Jeter. He has done more for this team the last 8 years than anybody else anywhere near the organization and you all know it. I am so sick of hearing about his ego and everything else. You know what, if Jeter offered to move to third, I am pretty sure A Rod would not accept. This is not his team - it is Derek's team and Alex knows that. I am sure he is not defiant about the fact that he shall remain shortstop and if it is necessary for him to move than he will. Right now, however, it is not. :bad:

Pedro's cuff
02-26-04, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66

You know what, if Jeter offered to move to third, I am pretty sure A Rod would not accept.

Highly doubtful.

flutie22
02-26-04, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66

Can everybody freaking lay off Jeter. He has done more for this team the last 8 years than anybody else anywhere near the organization and you all know it. . ::

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS IF THE YANKS GOT NOMAR TO PLAY SECOND BASE, THEY WOULD THEN HAVE 2 BETTER DEFENSIVE SHORTSHOPS THAN JETER PLAYING OUT OF POSITION. I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR JETER, HE IS ONE OF THE MOST CLUTCH PLAYERS I HAVE EVER SEEN BUT WHATS NEXT? TRADE FOR TEJADA TO PLAY FIRST? IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

C-BUS CLIPPER
02-26-04, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by flutie22

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS IF THE YANKS GOT NOMAR TO PLAY SECOND BASE, THEY WOULD THEN HAVE 2 BETTER DEFENSIVE SHORTSHOPS THAN JETER PLAYING OUT OF POSITION. I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR JETER, HE IS ONE OF THE MOST CLUTCH PLAYERS I HAVE EVER SEEN BUT WHATS NEXT? TRADE FOR TEJADA TO PLAY FIRST? IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

flutie22.......

C-BUS CLIPPER
02-26-04, 05:12 PM
"Lucchino also mentioned the term "hometown discount," hoping some of the players might take less to stay with Boston rather than test the free-agent waters.

Lucchino is crazy if he thinks thats going to happen.

StaceyRosie
02-26-04, 05:22 PM
C-BUS CLIPPER.....I don't what gender/age you are....will you marry me?

That caps lock picture made me scream

cubswin
02-26-04, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by C-BUS CLIPPER

First off, the caps off photo was pretty good. Second, related to this post, why? Nixon already did it.

RedGlare
02-26-04, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Pedro's cuff
The last thing the Yankees need are two premier shortstops who are playing out of position so Captain Intangibles' ego won't be bruised. funny... I thought that would be the last thing the Red Sox would need.

what a lineup that would be...

RedGlare
02-26-04, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by C-BUS CLIPPER

He's crazy for many reasons besides that ;)

C-BUS CLIPPER
02-26-04, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by StaceyRosie
C-BUS CLIPPER.....I don't what gender/age you are....will you marry me?

That caps lock picture made me scream

WOW!!! A Wedding proposal??? Hmmmmm. Let me get back to you Stacey.... :ga-ga:

StaceyRosie
02-26-04, 07:41 PM
Oops I meant to say I don't care what gender/age you are.

Heh.

northern
02-27-04, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by WindRavenX
I'm sure Nomar wouldn't mind coming over here....Maybe he can play second? :D
Come to the light Nomar... Don'tt listen to Windy Nomar, She's ........!:eek:

northern
02-27-04, 06:59 AM
There's no light with the NYY Windy, you fool.:P :P :evil: