PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Real Sports and The Brewers

2JAY
02-25-04, 05:06 PM
I don't know if anybody else has posted this but I was watching the newest Real Sports on HBO last night.
One of their stories was about the Milwaukee Brewers/Bud Selig and how several Wisconsin lawmakes are upset with them. The story alleged that the Brewers/Selig got taxpayers to foot the bill for Miller Park and how they were promised that the money would be put back into the team. Instead the Brewers have slashed their payroll and they haven't really paid any of the money back. Also, the Brewers were one of the teams that benefited most from the Luxury Tax. They had a Brewers VP on and he maintained that they Brewers are putting all of the money into their Minor League system and concentrating on buliding a championship in that way. Of course the lawmakers were implying that the only reason that Miller Park was built in the first place was to build the value of the team up so that any kind of sale of the Brewers would only bring in more money to the Selig's, etc....
Selig, I did not know, still has a 26% interest in the Brewers and with the Brewers on the market right now, he stands to make a lot of money.
Interesting stuff to say the least.

TannerBoyle
02-25-04, 05:53 PM
Selig's a scumbag.

jlw1980
02-25-04, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by TannerBoyle
Selig's a scumbag.

Concise and to the point. Also correct. :cool:

Jenn
:NY:

TannerBoyle
02-25-04, 06:04 PM
Elaborating on my point: did anyone see the outcome of the Wisconsin folks demanding the Brewers open their books?

I'm sorry I don't have a link anywhere but check the Milwaukee main newspaper...basically, the agreed to open the books, but the results will come out in such a broad sense as to be useless- they basically have to say our expenses were X, revenues were Y, but not have to say how much of expenses is player salaries vs little Wendy's and her hubby's salary. Revenues will include revenue sharing and their cut of luxury tax money.

It's akin to Coke being demanded to reveal their secret recipe, and them telling the world, "Well, you got some sugar, fructose, sucrose, and some water."

VanHalen5150
02-25-04, 06:45 PM
Baseball America says that the Brewers have the best farm system in baseball. In a few years the Brewers are going to be an exciting, young team. These Milwaukee lawmakers can't expect the Brewers to turn into a World Series team overnight.

SODM
02-25-04, 06:54 PM
Maybe the Brewers should move their farm team to Miller Park.

nj-monarch
02-26-04, 05:48 PM
I saw the story the other night. James Brown, no the other one, was on FAN with Fatso and Fruit Loops, and he talked about it. He was the correspondent for HBO.

Very interesting: Washington Post apparently is doing an investigative report on this as well.

SuperMario66
02-26-04, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by SODM
Maybe the Brewers should move their farm team to Miller Park.

hahahahaha :lol: :lol:

FutureYankee
02-27-04, 05:44 PM
do the brewers have ANYTHING going for them this year? new candidate to lose a record number of games maybe...

YankeePride1967
02-27-04, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by VanHalen5150
Baseball America says that the Brewers have the best farm system in baseball. In a few years the Brewers are going to be an exciting, young team. These Milwaukee lawmakers can't expect the Brewers to turn into a World Series team overnight.

It's only been what, 20 years? The test will be what do they do with those players when they reach the stage of commanding more money. Then I'll defend them.

SuperMario66
02-27-04, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket

It's only been what, 20 years? The test will be what do they do with those players when they reach the stage of commanding more money. Then I'll defend them.

Remember how much potentail the Twins had there for a while? That hasn't kept up quite as well as it should because they won't fork out the necessary money. I seriously doubt the Brewers will either.