PDA

View Full Version : El Duque a Red Sux?

Mark19
02-24-04, 02:13 AM
I have seen repeated mentions in the NY Post and Daily News about the Red Sox actively watching El Duque pitch. The Yankees have a clear need for a 6th starter and the Sox rotation is pretty set. So do we think that they are there simply to put pressure on us or jack up the price? Duque may still be pissed off enough from 2001 to sign with the Sux, but a deal would likely be motivated by spite for either party.

pacewon
02-24-04, 02:18 AM
The guy is probably in his 40s by now and couldn't hit 80 on the radar gun in front of scouts last season. I wouldn't mind seeing the Yanks give him a no-risk minor league deal but I will hardly give a f*ck if the Sox get him

BTW Duque's right-handed

cubswin
02-24-04, 02:25 AM
Why do the yanks havew a clear need for a 6th starter while the Sox rotation is pretty set?

Mark19
02-24-04, 02:32 AM
The Yankees need a 6th starter in reserve

Because (according to the sports media) the Yankees have solid, reliable Mike Mussina and all the following:

a) a 39 year old grump who has been an ace but also has had major health concerns
b) a young hot shot who has logged a lot of innings in pressure-free Montreal
c) a one-time ace who hasn't pitched in 2 years due to reconstructive surgery

and d) a hugely talented cuban with family concerns and limited experience

The Red Sox rotation isn't invincible but its flaws are not as apparent

Rich
02-24-04, 02:32 AM
He will be working out Friday for a few teams' scouts, including the Yanks and Sox. Like most players, he will probably sign with the team that offers the most money.

JeffWeaverFan
02-24-04, 02:37 AM
If the Yankee scouts are at all impressed by El Duque in his workout, my guess is we will make a bigger attempt to sign him then we already have. Neither us nor the red sox will give him more then a minor league deal. Also, I think I would rather have DePaula as my 6th starter then El Duque at this stage of his career.

SINCE77 2
02-24-04, 02:44 AM
Great control with that circle change of his. His fastball isn't to bad either.

nyyfanatic85
02-24-04, 07:48 AM
Sign Duque just for the playoffs. Let him fester in the minors the whole season.:D

Irabu's Son
02-24-04, 08:20 AM
Dugue's a legacy. Why not sign him to a minor league deal and see what he can do in ST and in Columbus?

Oh and in case you've missed it, it looks like Karsay's going to miss the start of the season -- that means we'll have an open spot in the bullpen.. perfect job for Duque since we could use a long reliever anyway.

NYYAROD
02-24-04, 08:33 AM
Could care less if he signed with Boston, I don't think he would make the team if we signed him anyhow

cubswin
02-24-04, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by SINCE77 2

(What does DePaula throw, btw, besides those 2? (and what speeds, if you know and what kind of fast ball?)

Buzah!
02-24-04, 12:03 PM
If Duque throws well Friday the Yanks will probably sign him.

DePaula has a great change up to go with a mid-90's fastball. I think he's also got a slider.

NJOBP36
02-24-04, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by SINCE77 2

DePaula has average control: 3 BB/9 last year in the minors.

Buzah!
02-24-04, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by NJOBP36

DePaula has average control: 3 BB/9 last year in the minors. DePaula has a reputation for losing control of his emotions...

silverdsl
02-24-04, 04:06 PM
It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if El Duque signs with the Red Sox. Given his age and injury history I think he's going to struggle to regain his ability to pitch the way he once did. If the Yankees sign him to a minor league deal as an insurance policy in case someone goes down that would be fine but I don't think he's going to be a big factor for anyone no matter where he goes.

-Deborah

Goose54
02-24-04, 08:28 PM
OH BABY - they can have him!! :p

This guy has to be about 50 now.......

SuperMario66
02-24-04, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Goose54
OH BABY - they can have him!! :p

This guy has to be about 50 now.......

Does anyone know exactly how old he really is???

Rich
02-24-04, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by SuperMario66

Does anyone know exactly how old he really is???

I recently read that according to his divorce papers his age would 38, four years older than the age he would be if the age he was listed at when he joined the Yankees was accurate.

Dr. Gonzo
02-24-04, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Mark19
The Yankees need a 6th starter in reserve

Because (according to the sports media) the Yankees have solid, reliable Mike Mussina and all the following:

a) a 39 year old grump who has been an ace but also has had major health concerns
b) a young hot shot who has logged a lot of innings in pressure-free Montreal
c) a one-time ace who hasn't pitched in 2 years due to reconstructive surgery

and d) a hugely talented cuban with family concerns and limited experience

The Red Sox rotation isn't invincible but its flaws are not as apparent

so you beleive everything you read. There are many question surrounding teh sox rotation too they just go unrepprted.

pedro, - yes an ace, but will that shoulder not tear. And this being a contract year, who knows how that will affect him

schilling, he is 38, has had injuries and will know have to make the adjustment to the stacked AL, and especially Al east

lowe- will he ever regain his form from his all-star, and shake the rest of the average seasons he has had. he has admitted someone needs to go, and he knows who they want to keep. how will he face the contract year pressure

wakefield - will he ever be consistant enough to be a starter

kim - can he last in the a rotation, something he hasn't done, yes he has bounced in and out because of needed bullpen. but he has never been successful in Boston, and doesn't seem to comfortable there (the middle finger thing.

Rich
02-25-04, 02:23 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1077693111228890.xml

They [The Yankees] hope to sign former Yankee right-hander Orlando Hernandez, a free agent who is working out for teams in Miami on Friday. If they can't bring back Hernandez, they plan to pursue former Met Pedro Astacio.

flutie22
02-25-04, 05:42 AM
i thought the sox filled their "token old guy " void when they subbed curt schilling for john burkett. why would they sign el duque ? he's 417 years old and they already have arroyo fighting for the five spot with B.K.
just doesn't really make sense to me....giving frank "the sandman" castillo a minor league deal doesn't either. that guys pitching style will put you to sleep.

Irabu's Son
02-25-04, 08:36 AM
Let me ask you forumers something. If he hums it in at around 90-92 consistently at the Miami tryout, THEN would you take him? I sure as hell would.

And why would the Red Sox need him? Bronson Arroyo is a future star there.. and no I am not being facetious.

GimeMoMuny
02-25-04, 09:11 AM
Ugh... No Astacio... I believe Duque could be effective in long relief...

GimeMoMuny
02-25-04, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Irabu's Son
Let me ask you forumers something. If he hums it in at around 90-92 consistently at the Miami tryout, THEN would you take him? I sure as hell would. As long as he's lost nothing off that eefus.. Im in!<p>:lol:

Irabu's Son
02-25-04, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by GimeMoMuny
As long as he's lost nothing off that eefus.. Im in!<p>:lol:

Only person I've ever seen hit the eefus was A-Rod... and he BLASTED that thing!