PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Ponson

Tom Tresh
02-23-04, 12:14 AM
New free agent signee pitcher, Sidney Ponson reported to camp weighting 268 lb. Granted heís 6-1 and Iím not Dr Atkins. But I do believe heís a bit over weight.

I bet the Oís arenít happy about that. Thank God the Yankees took a pass on him

Sultans of Swing
02-23-04, 12:22 AM
Holy sh*t. Ponson's gonna be the second coming of Boomer, except even more girth and even less talent.

pacewon
02-23-04, 12:25 AM
He's listed at ESPN.com as 249 pounds from last season... So some time between last April and this February he gained 19 pounds. Ouch

Sixty one
02-23-04, 02:42 PM
The living in Aruba is good for Ponson!!:lol: :lol:

YankyDave
02-23-04, 03:53 PM
His only winning season was last year in a contract year and it's been widely reported that he may be the dumbest man to ever play pro ball. Good work, Sir Sydney.

TannerBoyle
02-23-04, 03:58 PM
Atkins Diet.
The 'F' is silent.

nyyfanatic85
02-23-04, 04:00 PM
What a dumbass:lol:

Michaels07
02-23-04, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Tom Tresh
New free agent signee pitcher, Sidney Ponson reported to camp weighting 268 lb. Granted heís 6-1 and Iím not Dr Atkins. But I do believe heís a bit over weight.

I bet the Oís arenít happy about that. Thank God the Yankees took a pass on him

I saw him beat Clemens last year, he was a fat boy then.

Michaels07
02-23-04, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Sixty one
The living in Aruba is good for Ponson!!:lol: :lol:

Tough to Scuba, but he can snorkel.

FutureYankee
02-23-04, 09:10 PM
wow, that sucks ass for baltimore. I feel bad for them and for him.. first time he loses (presumably the first time he pitches considering his balloon status:evil: ) he will be HORRIBLY ridiculed about his weight.. but i suppose its no one's fault but his own. Man i love metabolism....

Ct.Fan
02-24-04, 07:29 AM
must be ok with Maz...he was named the opening day starter!

YankyDave
02-24-04, 07:55 AM
Ct., that just shows you how bad their staff is.

NelsonMuntz
02-24-04, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by YankyDave
Ct., that just shows you how bad their staff is.
Exactly. Ponson, while certainly a decent pitcher, is hardly an ace.

Irabu's Son
02-24-04, 11:56 AM
Totally selfish. I don't know how hard it is to be intrinsically motivated to work out in the off-season, but if I made millions of dollars I'd come to camp in February looking statuesque. Like my father Hideki Irabu.

Tom Tresh
02-29-04, 04:14 PM
-- The Baltimore Orioles have no one but themselves to blame for righthander Sidney Ponson showing up at least 15 pounds overweight.
He's in such bad shape he is having trouble finishing basic conditioning drills or bending over to pick up ground balls.

The team signed him to a three-year, $22.5 million contract this winter even though they were familiar enough with him to know there were questions about his dedication and discipline.

"Sidney, now I know why you got that big contract," Hall of Famer Jim Palmer told him last week. "There's two of you."

Dave in MD
02-29-04, 04:19 PM
Ponson is an ok pitcher, nothing more. Palmer is the only Oriole announcer who I can listen to. The other folks are purely homers. Palmer, while a homer, doesn't pull punches.

ring403
02-29-04, 04:23 PM
Another brilliant move by Angelos. It's gonna be a long season for Maz in Baltimore. It may end up being a bigger battle than alot of people think for 4th place between the O's and Rays.

Rich
02-29-04, 04:45 PM
Atkins was supposedly quite a bit overweight when he died.

#7forever
02-29-04, 05:01 PM
I hate to say this, but perhaps he has a personal trainer supplying with supplements. Yeah,
like Ronald McDdonald!

chanman7483
02-29-04, 06:47 PM
wow.. i had no idea he was so huge

Allan
02-29-04, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by chanman7483
[B]wow.. i had no idea he was so huge
B]

Don't the teams build some sort of protection into the contract? I mean Boone is not allowed to play basketball, but Ponson can turn up looking like the Goodyear blimp? Suppose Ponson's "condition" leads to some sort of injury that lands him on the DL longterm ( a la Boone), should the O's be required to cough up full salary? :uhh: