PDA

View Full Version : soriano might move to ss?

MvpPosada20
02-22-04, 02:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rangers-soriano&prov=ap&type=lgns

i just dont understand, he was horrible at 2nd, and can be great in center field with his speed and arm, why in gods name would they want to put him at ss

tiyuri
02-22-04, 02:49 PM
IIRC, he was a SS in the minors before we played musical positions with him.

NJASDJDH
02-22-04, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by MvpPosada20
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rangers-soriano&prov=ap&type=lgns

i just dont understand, he was horrible at 2nd, and can be great in center field with his speed and arm, why in gods name would they want to put him at ss

He was average to slightly above at 2nd, and odds are he will probably be better than Jeter at SS.

MvpPosada20
02-22-04, 03:05 PM
i know he used to play ss, but i held my breath every time the ball came near him during the post season, ss is a more defensive ability-demanding position

bakntime
02-22-04, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by NJASDJDH

He was average to slightly above at 2nd, and odds are he will probably be better than Jeter at SS.

Soriano stunk at 2nd. Great play one minute, botched routine play the next. Pretty bad at turing a DP also.

Don't see what Jeter has to do with this.

yanquis1972
02-22-04, 03:55 PM
soriano will be a pretty mediocre ss, but whatever.

chance that he gets more MVP votes than a-rod next year due to park effects alone? you know some dumbass reporters will love spinning that story if he does manage to avoid one of his 3 month "slumps" this season.

12soriano2B
02-22-04, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by tiyuri
IIRC, he was a SS in the minors before we played musical positions with him. you're right, he was a shortstop

cubswin
02-22-04, 04:41 PM
I haven't seen him paly much, so I don't know his weaknesses, but it seems he has great range -- could that benefit him more as a SS relative to some other shortstops? (And do his other weaknesses offset that, whatever they are?)

bakntime
02-22-04, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by cubswin
I haven't seen him paly much, so I don't know his weaknesses, but it seems he has great range -- could that benefit him more as a SS relative to some other shortstops? (And do his other weaknesses offset that, whatever they are?)

Fielding the ball wise, 2nd and SS are virtually the same... it's just a matter of throws and turning the DP. SS is much harder than 2nd, becuase you can't really knock the ball down at SS and still throw the guy out like you can at 2nd.

A lot of times you can knock a ball down at 2nd, get up and throw the guy out, but at SS that could be an error. You also have to rush the play sometimes from SS while you get more time to make a play from 2nd - more time to set and throw.

Range is most useful at SS and 2nd.

derekjeter916
02-22-04, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by bakntime

Soriano stunk at 2nd. Great play one minute, botched routine play the next. Pretty bad at turing a DP also.

Agreed on Soriano.

And it's obvious what Jeter has to do with this...any thread with "shortstop" "second base" "Soriano" or "A-Rod" in it (in other words ALL of them) cuase some posters to start putting Jeter down and/or bashing him, etc, repeatedly, even if it's a thread in the About the Majors forum on which position Soriano should play on the Texas Rangers...:uhh:

Michaels07
02-22-04, 06:07 PM
Should play him in left, Nix in center & Mench in right.

Legogasm
02-22-04, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by bakntime

I think the biggest reason that he had trouble with the double play was because he was coming from the other direction. He almost always had that confused look on his face when trying to determine whether to receive from third or not, and Jeter has even commented on how much harder the double play is from second. I expect good things out of him at ss.

SODM
02-23-04, 08:53 AM
I think he will make an excellent SS
Average+ defender and 40/40 sounds great to me.

NJASDJDH
02-23-04, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Michaels07
Should play him in left, Nix in center & Mench in right.

Soriano does not have much value in LF.