PDA

View Full Version : Soriano Merchandise plummeting!

yanks241
02-21-04, 01:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1739982

12soriano2B
02-21-04, 02:07 PM
these things happen, when you go from a great franshise like the yankees to a team like the rangers

Dooley Womack
02-21-04, 02:11 PM
.....as will his BA and HR total now that he's being pitched low and away, swinging at everything, and has little room for improvement or upside at TWENTY-EIGHT.

Blind_Umpire
02-21-04, 02:18 PM
I'm not suprised but not delighted either. :(

yanks241
02-21-04, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Dooley Womack
.....as will his BA and HR total now that he's being pitched low and away, swinging at everything, and has little room for improvement or upside at TWENTY-EIGHT.

I disagree. I think in that ballpark he is going to flourish. He is a proud guy and will want to show the Yanks they made a mistake in trading him. This is a smart kid, he will adjust to people pitching him down and away. This guy learned to speak english fluently in just about one off season by watching american movies!! Never count out a guy who has something to prove. Then his Jerseys will be flying off the shelf.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-21-04, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by yanks241
This is a smart kid, he will adjust to people pitching him down and away. [/B]
He might do well in Arlington, but his complete inability to develop any discipline thus far in his career indicates that, at least as a batter, he's not a smart kid.

krystl
02-21-04, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't expect the merchandise to continue an upward swing once he was traded. Doesn't surprise me.

NelsonMuntz
02-21-04, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Dooley Womack
Agreed.

YankeePride1967
02-21-04, 02:44 PM

I disagree. I think in that ballpark he is going to flourish. He is a proud guy and will want to show the Yanks they made a mistake in trading him. This is a smart kid, he will adjust to people pitching him down and away. This guy learned to speak english fluently in just about one off season by watching american movies!! Never count out a guy who has something to prove. Then his Jerseys will be flying off the shelf.

Well he's going to have to learn to not swing at the balls 5 feet off the plate for a change. He does that, then he will flourish.

yanks241
02-21-04, 02:49 PM
I agree. BUt he is only going to swing at that pitch for so long until he works on recognition and laying off it. I cant picture him going to long swinging at that pitch.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-21-04, 02:52 PM
I agree. BUt he is only going to swing at that pitch for so long until he works on recognition and laying off it. I cant picture him going to long swinging at that pitch.
It's not like he's a rookie anymore, and he hasn't developed any recognition yet. Seems unrealistic to me to expect him to do it now.

yanks241
02-21-04, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Mxylsplk

It's not like he's a rookie anymore, and he hasn't developed any recognition yet. Seems unrealistic to me to expect him to do it now.

They haven't pitched him like that his whole career.

Dave in MD
02-21-04, 02:54 PM
Soriano is a good player. He will have a good year. A-Rod is better, so he'll have a better year. I'll miss Sori, but this was a great deal. I don't know what I'll do with my number 12 jersey just yet.

YankeePride1967
02-21-04, 02:55 PM

Since he is now 28, that is usually the age range where players hit their peaks (actually 27-32 are traditionally peak years, but since Soriano skipped right past 27 and right to 28 we'll count this year that). He may improve modestly, but he will still be very pitchable with 2 strikes on him and there is no reason for a pitcher to groove him a fastball unless he's behind and as much of a free-swinger as he is, that doesn't happen very often.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-21-04, 02:56 PM
They've done it for at least 2 years, and he's been unable to adjust. When he gets a pitch, he hits the crap out of it. But when a guy can keep it away, he refuses to lay off and becomes an easy out.

YankeePride1967
02-21-04, 02:57 PM

Of course not, before they knew just HOW much of a free-swinger he is they used to give him better stuff to hit, now that they see he'll swing at just about anything they've adjusted how they will pitch to him. Trust me, I'm not blasting Sori, he is one heck of a talent, but this is the main reason why he's not the same hitter as ARod is, he doesn't have the eye nor the patience.

Dave in MD
02-21-04, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket

Of course not, before they knew just HOW much of a free-swinger he is they used to give him better stuff to hit, now that they see he'll swing at just about anything they've adjusted how they will pitch to him. Trust me, I'm not blasting Sori, he is one heck of a talent, but this is the main reason why he's not the same hitter as ARod is, he doesn't have the eye nor the patience.

They always knew he was a free swinger. He went into a slump at a bad time and was facing very good pitching. He will still put up some impressive numbers, but will be lacking in the obp area.

YankeePride1967
02-21-04, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Dave in MD

They always knew he was a free swinger. He went into a slump at a bad time and was facing very good pitching. He will still put up some impressive numbers, but will be lacking in the obp area.

I think he will put up some good numbers too, but his lack of walks for one thing will always hold him back.

Snap731
02-21-04, 04:19 PM
I think this phenomenon of Soriano's merchandise plummeting speaks to the fact that the Yankees and the A-Rod trade is ultamitely good for baseball.

Having a great team and big stars in a city that is passionate about baseball increases the exposure and the genuine excitment about the product of baseball. Isn't that good for the business of baseball?

Wheras an excellent player leaving a good New York team to go to a lousy Texas team equals the decline of the overall interest in that player.

Teams and cities CAN turn it around: look at Seattle and San Francisco.

But is it too harsh to say that its better for baseball that good baseball is reserved for those who appreciate it?

Goose54
02-21-04, 04:44 PM
If I were a guy who was holding Soriano memorabilia as an investment, I'd SELL QUICK.

If he doesn't become disciplined, and the Yanks win a couple of championship, Soriano will become a footnote in about 3-4 years...

derekjeter916
02-21-04, 05:34 PM
Not shocking.

Especially with the discovery that he and A-Rod are the same age, most people in New York have pushed him to the back of their memories by now.

YankeePride1967
02-21-04, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by derekjeter916
Not shocking.

Especially with the discovery that he and A-Rod are the same age, most people in New York have pushed him to the back of their memories by now.

I still won't forget that if not for an errant Mariano throw, he would have been the hero of game 7 of the 01 World Series. I wish him luck there.

derekjeter916
02-21-04, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by GoRocket

I still won't forget that if not for an errant Mariano throw, he would have been the hero of game 7 of the 01 World Series. I wish him luck there.

I didn't say you. I said the MAJORITY of New Yorkers, who buy the merchandise.

If Mariano didn't mess up, there would have been many Game 7 heroes. He might have been the most publicized but you can't forget the pitching up to that point...

rock
02-21-04, 06:18 PM
Soriano's going to be facing some pretty good pitchers out in the AL West too, better than what he saw in the AL East.

YankeePride1967
02-22-04, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by derekjeter916

I didn't say you. I said the MAJORITY of New Yorkers, who buy the merchandise.

If Mariano didn't mess up, there would have been many Game 7 heroes. He might have been the most publicized but you can't forget the pitching up to that point...

The only point I was trying to make was thanking Soriano for what he did as a Yankee. I wasn't even talking about the merchandise issue.

StaceyRosie
02-22-04, 09:09 AM
Hey stop bringing up November 4th 2001. I have had a lot of trouble forgettting about November 4th 2001 and I hate when people start talking about November 4th 2001....

:P

The Q Bomb
02-23-04, 08:15 AM
Just another example of a negative story printed for the pure purpose of being negative.

Of course the value of Soriano merchandise just plummeted. Any of his Yankee items (jerseys, etc.) are now obsolete. He is also going from the premier marketed sports franchise in the country (and the world, I think) to a last place team in a football crazy state. His stuff has lost value for these obvious reasons - not because he is suddenly a lousy player. That may change if he doesn't improve the few flaws in his game, but let's not read the fall of his marketability with a fall in his skills just yet.

silverdsl
02-23-04, 08:51 AM
The collectibles market is always in flux. Personally, that's one reason why I don't like paying inflated prices for any of this stuff because a guy's signature you pay $300 for on a jersey could be worth nothing a couple of years later. Soriano is an awesome player and I think he will continue to be a good player with the Rangers but I would never pay some of the prices that were quoted for his merchandise in that article even if he was still a Yankee.

-Deborah

uconnhoopz123
02-24-04, 03:29 PM
i have a soriano autographed picture and he signed it "alfonsosoriano#33" so that means it was his rookie autograph because of number 33 so i wonder how much its worth

GimeMoMuny
02-25-04, 07:46 AM
I'd look at it as a buy opportunity... He may not stay in Texas and he will continue to hit the ball... If he ends up in a big market you're ok.

TripleG23
02-25-04, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by uconnhoopz123
i have a soriano autographed picture and he signed it "alfonsosoriano#33" so that means it was his rookie autograph because of number 33 so i wonder how much its worth

If it's an 8x10 Photo probably b/w $50-$100 right now ... 16x20s are usually worth more. If he has a good year with Texas I don't see any reason it should not go up even if he is in a Yankee Uniform on the picture.

-Triple G