PDA

View Full Version : What is the best baseball video game ever?

BruceCampbellKG7
02-21-04, 11:23 AM
In my opinion, it's World Series Baseball 2K3, although i'm sure ESPN MLB Baseball will be better when it comes out. The game's hitting system is perfect, the players look realistic, and the fielding, running, and pitching systems are smooth. My only complain is that there's no slide button, and i think there should have been a timing/meter throwing and pitching system like in MVP Baseball 2003. But when it's all said and done, this is THE best baseball video game ever. What's your favorite?

23rulez
02-21-04, 11:33 AM
High Heat 2003

The first great baseball videogame was of course Micro League Baseball.

Old school Atari800/C64 users know what I'm talking about ;-)

Saxmania
02-21-04, 11:39 AM
I'm rather partial to the All-Star Baseball series. They've really improved the gameplay, and have incredibly deep options for things like expansion franchises, minor leagues, and in-depth personnel manoevres. Additionally, the presentation is great, especially the stadia past and present. Frankly, even if you don't play the game much, you can still get a kick out of some of the added features - like the Buck O'Neill interviews they included last year. Those were outstanding, and displayed a real reverence for the history of the game.

So: All-Star Baseball 2004 is the best ever. I doubt 2005 will be as good - although they're tweaking the gameplay again, they're leaving out the interviews.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

BruceCampbellKG7
02-21-04, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Saxmania
I'm rather partial to the All-Star Baseball series. They've really improved the gameplay, and have incredibly deep options for things like expansion franchises, minor leagues, and in-depth personnel manoevres. Additionally, the presentation is great, especially the stadia past and present. Frankly, even if you don't play the game much, you can still get a kick out of some of the added features - like the Buck O'Neill interviews they included last year. Those were outstanding, and displayed a real reverence for the history of the game.

So: All-Star Baseball 2004 is the best ever. I doubt 2005 will be as good - although they're tweaking the gameplay again, they're leaving out the interviews.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

OK, but i believe that The World Series Baseball series is the All-Star series with smoother graphics and improved gameplay..that's how i view it

Saxmania
02-21-04, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by BruceCampbellKG7

OK, but i believe that The World Series Baseball series is the All-Star series with smoother graphics and improved gameplay..that's how i view it

Well, then I see it as All-Star Baseball being World Series Baseball with better franchises and more material on the history of the game. It cuts both ways. (Actually, I haven't been able to play WSB since it never came out in this country; I've just seen some gameplay videos. But I find ASB perfectly smooth, and now that they've added lots of hitting options, the gameplay can be adjusted very well.)

Anyway, horses for courses. And the Buck O'Neil interviews are, as I say, an amazing piece of baseball history. (They also had interviews with Cal Ripken, Jr. and Derek Jeter, but O'Neil's the icon in my opinion.)

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

nyyfanatic85
02-21-04, 12:23 PM
MVP Baseball 2004!

Judge Mental
02-21-04, 12:44 PM
all-star baseball's gameplay is great, (my roomate is a yanks fan, let me just get that out there before the"YOU bought a video game with jeter on the cover!?!?" coments start)

the thing that drives me nuts about it is the roster management, you simply CANNOT trade for anyone unless they are the exact same position. even if that position is RF/1B or DH/1B you have to trade for someone who's position fits the description perfectly or else they dis you. i love doing those franchies modes and the ASB one isn't very good. if mvp or high heat or any of those other games that feature good franchise modes or at least make it possible to update your favorite team with the trades and acquisitions that actually happen during the year somehow got a hold of ASB's pitch/hit technology it'd be the best ever.

oh and those pick-up games you can do are beyond awesome

nyyfanatic85
02-21-04, 12:45 PM
All Star's gameplay sucks. If they had WSB's gameplay, with all the extra features, it would be one of the best. MVP is worth a look though.

patrick.o
02-21-04, 12:55 PM
The original RBI Baseball for Nintendo is the greatest baseball game ever. :cool:

Saxmania
02-21-04, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by nyyfanatic85
All Star's gameplay sucks. If they had WSB's gameplay, with all the extra features, it would be one of the best. MVP is worth a look though.

I disagree. With the variety of hitting options, you can pretty much tailor the gameplay to match your own abilities and preferences. I'm a big fan of the "generated count" option, and this year's option has something called "smart count", which apparently generates more accurate counts appropriate to the game conditions and relative abilities of your players.

The roster trading problem is a big one. Supposedly they've removed the inhibiting logic this year, which should help. Anyway, ASB's gameplay suits me fine, and it has (for me) by far the best "atmosphere" of any baseball game I've ever played (including High Heat). It feels like a real game to me. That's what I want from my software.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Brent
02-21-04, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by patrick.o
The original RBI Baseball for Nintendo is the greatest baseball game ever. :cool:

Seriously you are so correct. RBI baseball is like the thunderdome between my brother and I.
He stops by my place, cant decide what to eat, take it to RBI, best 2 out of 3 is the usual format.

BruceCampbellKG7
02-21-04, 02:07 PM
MVP Baseball 2004!

I like the throwing and pitching meters in the mvp series but i just can't get around the fact that the game doesn't have the batting circle, just has "timing hitting" i hate that...all great baseball games have the hitting cirlce system...give MVP the hitting circle and a diving button for fielding, and i might give it the edge of World Series Baseball 2K3, but not now it is now

SINCE77 2
02-21-04, 02:29 PM
Best gameplay and pitcher sim available. Best cutters, 12-6 curves, and splitters I have seen yet.

flutie22
02-21-04, 04:06 PM
what about bases loaded? great game no real teams or players but it was awesome...rbi baseball was also a gem....i was a big fan of mlb baseball but like many of the old nintendo games you would almost hyperventilate blowing into it .

Stryder2929
02-21-04, 04:13 PM
world series baseball '96 on sega saturn

Blind_Umpire
02-21-04, 04:38 PM
MVP Baseball 2004!

Indeed, with the new complete AA-AAA Minors. It's going to be sweet.

ruthianblast
02-21-04, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Brent

Seriously you are so correct. RBI baseball is like the thunderdome between my brother and I.
He stops by my place, cant decide what to eat, take it to RBI, best 2 out of 3 is the usual format.

Oh yeah rbi is by far the greatest ever, inside the park homers, bunt triples, no game will ever beat it.

12soriano2B
02-21-04, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BruceCampbellKG7
. My only complain is that there's no slide buttonthere is a slide button, kind of. i believe it does a hook slide automatically. but to do a head first slide press up then A or X depending on xbox or ps2.