PDA

View Full Version : Record-setting sophomore will gain early entry

NYYFAN
01-19-04, 02:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1711902

Two seasons into what already has been a standout college career, Pittsburgh receiver Larry Fitzgerald early this week will be declared eligible for the 2004 NFL draft, league sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Because he is a true sophomore, Fitzgerald has not been considered eligible for the draft based on the NFL rule that prevents players from entering the draft until three NFL seasons have "elapsed" -- language that has evolved into a league policy stating that players must be three years out of high school.

NYYFAN
01-19-04, 02:02 PM
Looks like the Raiders new wide receiver...:D

uconnhoopz123
01-23-04, 05:24 PM
i have his autograph

NYYFAN
01-23-04, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by uconnhoopz123
i have his autograph

Nice, Mel Kiper now rates him the #1 pick in the draft...

pacewon
01-23-04, 06:23 PM
I don't even think his dad is old enough to be a Raider. Grandpa maybe :lol:

NYYFAN
01-24-04, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by pacewon
I don't even think his dad is old enough to be a Raider. Grandpa maybe :lol:

Time to get younger...

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-24-04, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN

Time to get younger...

Gonna take awhile... so many old guys to replace over the next few years--Brown, Rice, Romo, Kennedy (this is hugely significant), Gannon, Rod Woodson, Adams, Parella, and more. But Fitzgerald would be a nice start.

Nettles dfw
01-24-04, 04:50 PM

Nice, Mel Kiper now rates him the #1 pick in the draft...

I could be wrong, I thought I heard on the radio he had Manning going #1 and Fitzgerald #2 in his mock draft.

YanksRockMan
01-24-04, 05:24 PM
I think the Raiders will be better off drafting eli manning....they need a QB badly..

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-24-04, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Nettles dfw

I could be wrong, I thought I heard on the radio he had Manning going #1 and Fitzgerald #2 in his mock draft.

Fitzgerald is #1 in player rankings now, but draft order is still the same because the Chargers need a QB more than a WR. Another example, is he has Roy Williams of Texas ranked as the third best draftable player but not going until #9 to Jacksonville. It's a matter of needs...

NYYFAN
01-24-04, 06:20 PM

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html

NYYFAN
01-24-04, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by YanksRockMan
I think the Raiders will be better off drafting eli manning....they need a QB badly..

Eli maybe gone with the first pick...a QB will also take time to develop, and Al Davis is getting old...

My guess if Larry goes to SD, then Eli, Ben, or Roy Williams will go to the Raiders...

NYYFAN
01-24-04, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35

Fitzgerald is #1 in player rankings now, but draft order is still the same because the Chargers need a QB more than a WR. Another example, is he has Roy Williams of Texas ranked as the third best draftable player but not going until #9 to Jacksonville. It's a matter of needs...

Mels rankings are based on players ability and not team draft needs...

Up-State
01-24-04, 09:53 PM
As long as the Giants select Sean Taylor I'll be happy.

Nettles dfw
01-24-04, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35

Thanks.

P.S. I'm guessing from your name that we disagree on our favorite football teams. I'm a Giants fan living in Dallas. It kills me that Parcells is making them better.

Rich
01-24-04, 10:28 PM
Kiper has Gallery rated way too high. He's not that good.

NYYFAN
01-24-04, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Rich
Kiper has Gallery rated way too high. He's not that good.

Just about every mock draft I've seen has him a top four pick, (Most saying he's going to the Giants for whats that worth) and at least minimum top 7 pick. Andrews also gets high marks... I saw one mock with Taylor going to NY as well as big Ben...

Rich
01-24-04, 11:40 PM

Just about every mock draft I've seen has him a top four pick, (Most saying he's going to the Giants for whats that worth) and at least minimum top 7 pick. Andrews also gets high marks... I saw one mock with Taylor going to NY as well as big Ben...

I think an OT has to have Jonathon Ogden like skills to warrant being the 4th pick; Gallery doesn't. IMO, the Giants will sign a OT in free agency, and draft Udeze or Taylor.

NYYFAN
01-25-04, 09:08 AM

I think an OT has to have Jonathon Ogden like skills to warrant being the 4th pick; Gallery doesn't. IMO, the Giants will sign a OT in free agency, and draft Udeze or Taylor.

And what if Big Ben the QB is still there? Giants will need a QB in a couple of years if not sooner...

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-25-04, 11:44 AM
P.S. I'm guessing from your name that we disagree on our favorite football teams. I'm a Giants fan living in Dallas.

And I'm a Cowboys fan living in Jersey! It kills me having to watch the Giants, Jets, and/or Eagles every weekend when there are other quality, non-regional match-ups on. But on the bright side, I can get over to any of a number of stadiums to watch the 'Boys pretty easily, not to mention Yankee Stadium...

It kills me that Parcells is making them better.

I'm sorry to hear that. PARCELLS IS THE LIGHT OF MY LIFE... J/k... sorta. (That honor goes to Roy Williams.) ;) But Cowboys-Giants is only a gentleman's rivalry no? You don't really hate us... :D

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-25-04, 11:58 AM

Giants have it rough with the cap situation ($2.7M under for 2004, as of 12/31/03 according to John Clayton), but there are indeed some quality FA tackles out there, if they aren't re-signed by their teams--Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, and John Tait are all out there, but I doubt the Rams, Seahawks, and Chiefs are dumb enough to let them go. The rest of that pool is not overwhelmingly exciting: St. Clair (:barf: ), Clifton, etc...

I don't see Gallery as warranting a #4 1st round pick either, but 2nd round can be a good round for quality o-line guys. Cowboys took Andre Gurod and Al Johnson in '02 and '03 respectively, so that could be a route for the Giants to take, because I don't think FA tackles will cut it for them. Y'all need draft-quality help there for the future.