PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gibbs to replace Spurrier?

Looie #19
01-07-04, 02:14 AM
Report: Gibbs considering return to Redskins

(01-06) 21:17 PST WASHINGTON (AP) --

Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs could make a surprise return to the Washington Redskins.

The Washington Post, citing sources with connections to Gibbs, reported late Tuesday on its Web site that Gibbs was in serious discussions about returning to the team that he led to three Super Bowl titles.

The 63-year-old Gibbs coached the Redskins from 1981-92 before resigning to pursue a career with his own NASCAR team. He has been adamant over the years about not wanting to coach again, although he has retained NFL connections. He is currently a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons.

The Redskins are seeking a replacement for Steve Spurrier, who resigned last week. They were known to have interviewed three candidates: former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Minnesota coach Dennis Green and Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

That would be a great move for that organization. The 1991 Redskins are right up there as probably my favorite team I've ever had the opportunity to follow. Maybe he'll bring back Rypien and Gouveia. :smokin:

NYYFAN
01-07-04, 11:14 AM
He would have to be nuts to do it...

thecaptain
01-07-04, 12:00 PM
i wonder if he will bring back The Hogs...

TinoFan84
01-07-04, 12:22 PM
Washington Radio stations are confirming that this has been done - Joe Gibbs is back as the coach of the Deadskins.

(Can ya tell I'm not a 'Skins fan??)

allybear
01-07-04, 02:26 PM
It's official:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1702079

and off the Joe Gibbs Racing website:

http://www.joegibbsracing.com/season_2004/news_jgr/040107_nfl.php

Personally, I'm shocked...I saw an interview with him over the summer where he said he didn't want to go back to coaching. I guess he changed his mind - I can't think it's the money, because I don't think that's what motivates him, so I guess it's a combination of not liking what was going on with the Redskins and figuring that he's got the race teams in good shape with his son in charge. We shall see...

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-07-04, 06:19 PM
Joe Gibbs coming back... who knew? Reminds me of the days when I was real young, before my hate the Redskins genes started taking full effect. They might actually have a chance again... As long as they take their 2 losses per year to the Cowboys like men (and even if they don't) I don't care.

NYYFAN
01-07-04, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
Joe Gibbs coming back... who knew? Reminds me of the days when I was real young, before my hate the Redskins genes started taking full effect. They might actually have a chance again... As long as they take their 2 losses per year to the Cowboys like men (and even if they don't) I don't care.

If Danny boy stays out of his way, the team should improve drastically. The Boys will not sweep the Skins very often in the future...

PinstripePride
01-07-04, 07:15 PM
Moss is still better than Coles.

NYYFAN
01-07-04, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by PinstripePride

Keep saying it and someday it might come true...

PinstripePride
01-07-04, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN

Keep saying it and someday it might come true...

:lol:

Leave me alone, I'm still bitter...:D

bxny
01-07-04, 07:23 PM

I'll be sure and let Danny Boy know.

By the way.. when's his contract up?;)

We want DALLAS!!

NYYFAN
01-07-04, 08:08 PM

:lol:

Leave me alone, I'm still bitter...:D

Coles is gone, time to move on...:lol:

RIyankee
01-17-04, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by NYYFAN

If Danny boy stays out of his way, the team should improve drastically. The Boys will not sweep the Skins very often in the future...

I think he will. I'm sure Danny will not demand to draft players or any other such interference while Gibbs is around. The Redskins fans love Gibbs and if Snyder gives him any sort of crap, they will turn on him and demand he sell the team. Gibbs is revered in the DC area. This is his team now and Danny knows it.