PDA

View Full Version : Favre: Icon (general sports related)

NoVa YankeeFan
12-23-03, 09:37 AM
Watching the first half of MNF yesterday got me choked up a couple times, and really thinking about icons in sports. For the last couple years, I've watched almost every Packers game televised, despite being a Giants fan, primarily because I think Favre taps into that intangible spot in your sports fan heart.

My criteria for this iconic place in sports consists of the following (you don't need all of them, but the more the merrier):
- playing for the same team your whole career
- playing your guts out all the time
- your team's uniform is classy and enduring
- some other intangibles
- mention of his name brings to mind a slo-mo of the guy, maybe a particular play, or maybe just the mundane...

Here's my list (quickly off the top of my head) that I could think of for my lifetime (I'm 25)...

Icons in my mind: Mattingly, Jeter, Rivera, Bavaro, Scott Stevens, Messier, Gretzky, Hull, Ripken, Tim Brown at Notre Dame, Favre, David Robinson, Montana to Rice, Jordan, Ewing (homer pick)...

On their way: Tim Duncan, Brodeur, Strahan, Nomah if he stays with Sox, Posada...

koko
12-24-03, 03:00 AM
It was simply one of the most special displays I have seen in quite some time. Harkens back to Paul O'Neill playing the WS after his father passed.

uconnhoopz123
12-24-03, 12:07 PM
that was amazing favre played great just after his father died

soonerpride21
12-24-03, 08:46 PM
that was arguably the best performance by any one player in the NFL this year... probably the best, considering the adversity and the way he handled it one day after he got the news

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
12-25-03, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by NoVa YankeeFan
My criteria for this iconic place in sports consists of the following (you don't need all of them, but the more the merrier):
- playing for the same team your whole career
- playing your guts out all the time
- your team's uniform is classy and enduring
- some other intangibles
- mention of his name brings to mind a slo-mo of the guy, maybe a particular play, or maybe just the mundane...

Here's my list (quickly off the top of my head) that I could think of for my lifetime (I'm 25)...

Icons in my mind: Mattingly, Jeter, Rivera, Bavaro, Scott Stevens, Messier, Gretzky, Hull, Ripken, Tim Brown at Notre Dame, Favre, David Robinson, Montana to Rice, Jordan, Ewing (homer pick)...

You forgot Aikman to Irvin, or the formerly glorious Dallas #22 (insert name here) doing his thing all those years... I mean, come on now. Who doesn't look fondly back at Aikman running around pointing #1 during that Super Bowl, something he almost never did... I'm getting teary-eyed.

Looie #19
12-25-03, 09:00 PM
Favre is okay, but he's no Pennington. Just look at the stats.

NoVa YankeeFan
12-26-03, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35

You forgot Aikman to Irvin, or the formerly glorious Dallas #22 (insert name here) doing his thing all those years... I mean, come on now. Who doesn't look fondly back at Aikman running around pointing #1 during that Super Bowl, something he almost never did... I'm getting teary-eyed.

There's no doubting that Emmitt is a first ballot Hall of Famer, but I am a die hard Giants fan, hate the Cowboys, and can't think of the Dallas team of the early 90's without thinking of rap sheets, cocaine, and other felonies and misdemeanors...no one is going to confuse that bunch of losers with the 1970's Steelers or Lombardi's Packers...