PDA

View Full Version : Any horse racing fans here?

Superunknown
03-03-01, 08:50 PM
I kind of stopped following the horses after the Breeders Cup in November. But now I'm starting to take an interest in the sport again with the Kentucky Derby just 2 months away. Anyone want to talk horses or share any ideas on the Derby?

chelle
03-04-01, 10:57 PM
I love harness horse racing. I get to go to Penn National and bet on some of them with my dad. I made 42.50 once, that was cool!

Superunknown
03-05-01, 06:44 PM
That's better than I've done lately with my bets!

kennyj
03-06-01, 12:18 PM
I follow the Breeders Cup and the Triple Crown races. I haven't had much success with the BC, but have done pretty well on the Triple Crown.

love2dj
03-06-01, 03:16 PM
I absolutely love horses!!! ;) :cool: I'm also lucky enough to live in upstate New York near the Saratoga Racetrack. I spend a great deal of time there during their summer meet. The Traver's Stakes is the biggest race, and it is always a great event!!! It is the other place for me to be during the summer other than Yankee Stadium. In fact, George Steinbrenner often has a horse or two at Saratoga, and he comes to watch the races. :NY: :NY: :cool:

#1Coneyfan
03-06-01, 04:03 PM
I'd rather ride them than bet on them!

This is Gracie, a retired racehorse.

Superunknown
03-06-01, 08:00 PM
Love2dj, that is so cool! I've never been to Saratoga. Every year I say to myself, "this is the year I go to Saratoga," and then stuff happens and I forget, and by the time I remember it's too late to make the reservation anyway. One of these years, I will go!

Coney, that's a cute horse. Do you do equestrian events, or do you just ride for fun?

As for the Triple Crown, I've never had all that much luck in the Derby. I usually win some money on the Preakness and Belmont. The Derby, however, mystifies me every year. I was thinking that as a public service to those who might be inclined to place a bet on the race, I would announce my Derby pick a few days prior to the race -- so that people would know which horse is NOT going to win! :lol:

#1Coneyfan
03-06-01, 09:31 PM
Gracie isn't mine, but she's a wonderful horse - my son plays polo with her.

I used to do hunter/jumpers, but now I'm doing dressage and show every now and then.

I don't have a horse yet, but next year I'm finally going to fulfill my lifelong dream! They're incredible animals with huge hearts.

Superunknown
03-06-01, 11:10 PM
That's great. I always enjoy watching jump and dressage events during the Olympics. She's a real beauty.

love2dj
03-07-01, 07:03 PM
#1Coneyfan, Gracie is a beautiful horse, as are most of them. They truly are wonderful and magestic!! ;) :cool: I would much rather ride than bet on horses myself. :cool: :NY: :NY:

Superunknown, Saratoga is a beautiful place to be!!! By all means come and visit it sometime!!! ;) :cool: :NY: :NY: I myself have always wanted to go to the Kentucky Derby!!! ;) :cool:

DW Fan
03-13-01, 06:28 PM
I have horses, live on a small tbred farm in Northern NJ. I used to train a bit, break the 2 year olds bring them to Monmouth and the Meadowlands for some introduction to the track and some small gallops. We don't do much training on the farm in Jersey any more (bad back getting old). The owner of the farm I'm on now has a breeding farm in upstate NY- Questroyal Stud and he also has a training farm in Florida- ArbraCadbra Farms. I love going to Saratoga for the August meet, what a beautiful track. I don't bet much but we have a couple of horses running at Philly Park, I don't like to give any tips on our horses cause they don't usually run that well.
I now have a quarter horse who is mainly a big pet, I trail ride for fun and relaxation. I decided trail riding the terrorbreds is no longer fun or relaxing, they're crazy you know.

Butnud
03-14-01, 08:44 AM
Try watching "Horse Sense" and then you will see why I hate horse racing. They are beautiful creatures that deserve to be free just like men and women. Why abuse their rights. Donkeys are one thing but horses are another. So if anybody likes beating horses so they can earn some money then I will spit on your grave from now to boomsday. Sorry but that is how I feel!

Superunknown
03-14-01, 03:03 PM
What's "Horse Sense"? Is it a cable show?

DW Fan
03-14-01, 04:34 PM
Rob,

I agree horse racing is cruel, some owners and trainers are worse than others but generally it is at the animal expense. It is unfortunate animals are often thought of as not having feelings and are used in horrific ways. How do feel about the circus and zoos? BTW Donkeys have feelings too!

Peachy
03-14-01, 08:20 PM
Did you know that horses have the same number of nerve endings per square inch of skin as humans? They don't feel less pain just because they are bigger and have fur. Cows, on the other hand, have half the number of nerve endings per square inch.

DW Fan
03-14-01, 08:48 PM
Peachy,

I did not know that. I do know Cows have those big beautiful brown eyes.
;)

gehrigs_girl
03-27-01, 10:46 AM
I wish I had a picture to post, 'cause he's a beauty,, but I'll just tell ya about him!

My horse is an ex-racehorse (translate:HAS ISSUES!), a 22 yr. old Arabian gelding named Matahl (we just call him Tolly or Buddy). He is a fourth generation descendant of Witez II, and he looks every inch of Witez, except he's a chestnut in color. (Arabs are my absolute favorite breed!) For those of you not familiar with Witez, or Arabian horses, I would recommend a book called "And Miles to Go". Witez II has a history that came smack dab out of wartime Europe, and it is a fascinating combination of history and a horse rescue that'll enrich ANY horselover's appreciation of horses, especially the Arabian breed.

But the MAIN reason I love him is he's my buddy, and in the two years he's been mine, he's really bonded with me. A racehorse rarely has the opportunity to bond with anyone; all they ever learn is GO, and GO FAST. In the last 22years, this horse Matahl never bonded w/ anyone, never had an owner willing to take the time to get inside his little mind and FIND OUT WHY he acted the way he did, and he never knew anything but GO, and GO FAST. In 2 yrs., I've made a friend, and managed to untrain SOME of his bad habits and fears, and I believe HE is beginning to believe that he will never have to go away again. (He's had about 6 or 7 owners-- that I can trace-- in his 22 yrs.!)

Anyway, I don't feel that racing in itself is cruel, but the life of a racehorse is not really any kind of life at all. It ain't a relaxed natural way for an equine to live. They are pretty much viewed, by a majority of the racing world--not all, so don't get mad at me!-- as nothing more than a commodity...hmmm, not far from the way a lot of ballplayers are viewed!

Ya s'pose that's why Steinbrenner's got horses?

Well, I've got mine, 'cause they're great buddies, when trained right & treated right. I've got two Arabs, and I love 'em to pieces! Just ask my husband... he'll tell ya they get better treatment than he does! (I try to keep it balanced, though, 'cause I don't want my honey to end up with "issues" the way Tolly had when HE arrived!! :)

gehrigs_girl
03-27-01, 10:57 AM
Bye the way, for those of you who are interested, an ex-racehorse is a great horse to adopt/buy/rescue--whichever. But they CAN be a handful!! So be prepared! An ex-racehorse will definitely make a better horseman/woman outta ya, but ya gotta go into it with a ready mind and a fearless heart! They aren't ALL basketcases, but due to their racing lifestyle & training, it's a likelihood. You'll prob'ly have some "deprogramming" work on yer hands!

My first Arab horse was bombproof, as gentle as a kitten, afraid o' nothin', and loyal to the point of jumping off the edge of the world. Matahl has proven to be a handful, really full o' fire! But that's also one of the reasons I love him, is his spunk!
I didn't know he was an ex-racer when I got him, but after a little research, I began to understand WHY he's the way he is, and that's made all the difference in our realationship! (He's a freak of nature, but we love him so! heeeheee!)

Try an ex-racer sometime, you'll never look at horses, riding or racing the same way again, I promise you!!
:D:eek::scared::eek::D

Up-State
03-27-01, 11:41 AM
I love going to the races in August at Saratoga. last year I went about 4 times with some friends. Saratoga is also a great place to see some Sports celebrities too. last year i saw Bill Parcells( he owns a couple horses), Coach K of Duke, also saw Harry Carson ex-Giants linebacker.
I can't wait for the summer to begin. Baseball, Horses, Barbecues, camping ...

deppgirl66
04-13-01, 03:34 PM
I love horses!!!! They're such beautiful animals - magnificent and so graceful.

I used to ride every week for years and I loved it but I'm allergic to horses so every week I'd go through absolute hell sneezing, coucghing, itchy throat and eyes and a runny nose so in the end I had to give it up. I still love them though and watch lots of events on tv.

Did any of you guys see the Grand National this year??? Boy, that was SOME race. Only 4 out of 40 horses completed the course and 2 of those were re-mounts.

Superunknown
04-13-01, 11:15 PM
Is the Grand National a steeplechase race? I haven't got the nerve to watch one of those. The last time I saw one, I caught my breath every time the horses reached a new jump.

I can't wait for the Kentucky Derby! Less than a month away now. :D

deppgirl66
04-18-01, 12:40 PM
Yeah it's a steeplechase - I think they're very exciting and dramatic but very dangerous too. One year after the National five of the horses in it died.