PDA

View Full Version : Islanders win 2 straight



YankeeNut18
12-09-03, 10:52 PM
After a 7 game skid, the Islanders are back on track. Isles fans rejoice!


http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=231209012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


UNIONDALE, N.Y. (AP) -- Shawn Bates and Trent Hunter had a goal and two assists each, and set up Radek Martinek's go-ahead score in the third period in the New York Islanders' 5-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday night.

Hunter and Bates tied it at 2 with goals 2:46 apart late in the second period. Martinek took an across-the-crease pass from Bates 3:19 into the third and beat Nikolai Khabibulin, giving the Islanders their first winning streak since they won three straight from Nov. 1-6.

Mark Parrish padded the lead at 8:04, taking a chip pass from Dave Scatchard and backhanding in his seventh goal. Jason Blake added an empty-netter with 2.3 seconds left, and Garth Snow made 29 saves to win for the second time in six starts.

Tampa Bay started New York's seven-game losing streak that ended Saturday when the Islanders beat Chicago.

Pavel Kubina and Ruslan Fedotenko scored in the second period for the Lightning, who were looking for their first three-game winning streak since Nov. 14-22. Instead, Tampa Bay lost for the fourth time in six games while playing its fourth game in six nights.

Hunter started New York's comeback when he took a pass from Bates in the slot and scored his 10th with 4:26 left in the second. The rookie is only one goal behind Mariusz Czerkawski for the team lead.

Bates tied it with 1:40 remaining in the period, corralling a puck that bounced through the slot off Hunter's stick and smacking it into the net.

The Lightning took a 1-0 lead when Kubina scored 20 seconds into a two-man advantage.

Dave Andreychuk, who had goals in each of the Lightning's three previous games, passed the puck out to Kubina. He took one stride and sent a shot through traffic that beat Snow at 9:11 of the second.

Fedotenko made it 2-0 just 4:10 later, taking a pass from Brad Richards and snapping a shot while flat-footed at the top of the left circle for his third of the season and first in 13 games.

Richards has just one goal in 19 games, but had two assists for his fourth multipoint game this season.

Khabibulin finished with 30 saves.

Game Notes: Scatchard's assist gave him 200 NHL points. ... The Lightning's four-game road trip concludes Thursday in Ottawa. They couldn't complete a New York sweep after winning their previous two games at Buffalo and the New York Rangers. ... Bates and Hunter each have two three-point games this season. ... The Islanders lead the series 23-22-3-1, 12-11-1 at home.

Hitman23
12-10-03, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by YankeeNut18
Tampa Bay lost for the fourth time in six games while playing its fourth game in six nights.I thought the Rangers were going to have an easy time with them on Saturday. TB got in late because of the snow storm, had a game the day before and were pretty beaten up. The first period they pretty much looked like they were skating on concrete. But as usual the Rangers forget it's a 60 minute game and got their asses handed to them.

bakntime
12-10-03, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Hitman23
I thought the Rangers were going to have an easy time with them on Saturday. TB got in late because of the snow storm, had a game the day before and were pretty beaten up. The first period they pretty much looked like they were skating on concrete. But as usual the Rangers forget it's a 60 minute game and got their asses handed to them.

Didn't help that Leech was playing for the Lightning that game.

wexy
12-10-03, 10:00 PM
A loss in OT tonight, ironic how Elias got the goal after missing the penalty shot while the Rangers went down again to the Habs.
A couple of missed open nets for the Rangers and a couple of loud clankers for the Canadians.

Donnybaseball72
12-14-03, 08:30 PM
This is an Islanders thread. Go bitch about your loser Rags somewhere else.

Yankchic22
12-16-03, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Donnybaseball72
This is an Islanders thread. Go bitch about your loser Rags somewhere else.

Why are you so mean?

ALR83
12-17-03, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Yankchic22
Why are you so mean?

Mean is not the word you are looking for, immature is.


On a side note, with the Islanders winning two straight and hungry for more and the Rangers needing wins, this is going to be a great game. :D

Yankchic22
12-17-03, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by ALR83


Mean is not the word you are looking for, immature is.

That too, but seriously, This guy/girl is just plain not nice. There is no need for some of the comments made here in the hockey threads :(

ALR83
12-17-03, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Yankchic22
That too, but seriously, This guy/girl is just plain not nice. There is no need for some of the comments made here in the hockey threads :(

I don't wanna say typical Islander fan cause the other guy here is really cool, so I'll say that he reminds me of an annoying, bitter Red Sox fan lol. I'm all for a rivalry, just don't act like a little kid and call people names. :lol:

Hitman23
12-17-03, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by ALR83
I don't wanna say typical Islander fan cause the other guy here is really cool, so I'll say that he reminds me of an annoying, bitter Red Sox fan lol. I'm all for a rivalry, just don't act like a little kid and call people names. :lol: Don't sugarcoat it!! Speak the truth!!

Randi, this is how most Isles and Rangers fans talk to eachother. It's a bitter hatred really. :lol:

YankeeNut18
12-17-03, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Hitman23
Don't sugarcoat it!! Speak the truth!!

Randi, this is how most Isles and Rangers fans talk to eachother. It's a bitter hatred really. :lol:



Steve... I don't appreciated being put in the catagory of "typical Isles fan."

Hitman23
12-17-03, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by YankeeNut18
Steve... I don't appreciated being put in the catagory of "typical Isles fan." Well, I did say "most" :lol:

I'm not saying you are. In fact I've noticed you're quite laid back. But Donnybaseball72 is the type of Isles fan I am used to. most of my closest friends are Isles fans and that's how we talk to eachother. I just won't do it here because of community standards.

ALR83
12-17-03, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Hitman23
Don't sugarcoat it!! Speak the truth!!

I don't wanna get in trouble by Jim! :lol:

Yankchic22
12-18-03, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Hitman23
most of my closest friends are Isles fans and that's how we talk to eachother. I just won't do it here because of community standards.

First of all the way you and your friends treat each other goes beyond hockey loyalties :P But thats for another thread.

But those are your friends. This is just some stranger being mean:(

Is it always this cutthroat in this forum?:confused:

Hitman23
12-18-03, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Yankchic22
This is just some stranger being mean:(you should go to an Isles-Rangers game. You'd have an entire arena of strangers being mean to eachother.