PDA

View Full Version : Alonzo Mourning Needs Kidney Transplant NOW

Bern Baby Be
11-24-03, 11:39 AM
I just heard this on Michael Kay's show. He's trying to get the Nets VP on the phone to talk about it. If I find a link I'll post it. How sad! :(

PettittesPrincess
11-24-03, 11:55 AM
I thought we had 2 kidneys.

Bern Baby Be
11-24-03, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by PettittesPrincess
I thought we had 2 kidneys.

What is that supposed to mean? :confused: Are you actually making fun of someone's kidney ailment? The way Kenyon Martin, his Nets temmate did? Your post boggles the mind! :mad:

Bern Baby Be
11-24-03, 12:10 PM
In case anyone else here is as in the dark as Pettitte's Princess, here's the story link from ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1669704

He has had this serious kidney ailment for several years and could die of kidney failure eventually if he doesn't get better.

PettittesPrincess
11-24-03, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Bern Baby Be

What is that supposed to mean? :confused: Are you actually making fun of someone's kidney ailment? The way Kenyon Martin, his Nets temmate did? Your post boggles the mind! :mad:

I means I thought we had 2 kidneys. How is that making fun of someone's illness? Oh wait it's not!

Bern Baby Be
11-24-03, 12:27 PM

I means I thought we had 2 kidneys. How is that making fun of someone's illness? Oh wait it's not!

Okay, it's not. But, just because someone has 2 kidneys doesn't make his illneess any less important. I don't think you needed to remind everyone that we have 2 kidneys. To me, that's minimizing his disease.

Anyway, I just heard a little bit of an interview Kay did with Zo's doctor and he said there is actually about a 2 month window. After that period of time things could become grave.

PettittesPrincess
11-24-03, 12:30 PM
It is in no way minimizing it... get over it.

yankeegeek
11-24-03, 01:36 PM
I too got the news about Zo. Just plain terrible. I remember when he came into the league with the Hornets. He was such a great player. As a member of the Heat I loved watching him against the Knucks. When he came to my favorite team to play for us I was stunned. I was thinking if Zo is able to give 20 min. 15 points. 6-8 boards off the bench, wow that could be great for the team.

The ironic part in all this is that hw just played his best game as a Net on Saturday. He had 15 points in 16 minutes. It takes players awhile to understand the Nets motion offense, becaust the center plays a large role in the offense away from the basket. On Saturday he looked as if was putting it all together as a Net.

Kenyon must feel like an assclown righ now. Him mocking Zo, after Zo was ripping on K-Mart was not cool for either player. K-Mart probly feels like **** right about now.

All that said I have Zo and his entre family in my prayers. This is alot to go against. Playing is no longer an option. Hopefully living will go on. This is about life and death righ now.

silverdsl
11-24-03, 01:47 PM
It is in no way minimizing it... get over it. Well, your comment seems to indicate that you don't think it's a big deal that he needs a kidney transplant because hey, we all have two, right? Perhaps you just weren't aware of the details of his illness. In any event, any time there's a disease that involves the kidneys it's serious business. I know someone who had to have a kidney transplant because neither of their kidneys functioned correctly and even after a transplant that doesn't mean that things will be fine. That transplanted kidney may only last ten years or even shorter.

I hope they're able to find a kidney that's a match for Mourning.

-Deborah

Coney36
11-24-03, 01:48 PM
This is indeed terrible...I always liked Zo (just cuz I hated the Knicks). Didn't he get this after (or was it right before?) the 2000 Olympics? And just curious (not to be evil) but would his stature, him being who he is, help vaunt him to the top of the donor list?

Anyhows...God bless him and his family...it's tough. :(

PettittesPrincess
11-24-03, 01:49 PM
I don't see how my asking about 2 kidneys as in whether taking out a kidney was an option is in any way miniziming an illness or trying to act like it's not a big deal. Maybe some people need to not be so touchy when someone asks a legitimate question.

sanfranciscojetergirl
11-24-03, 02:08 PM
I wonder how K-Mart feel. I hope they find a donor soon. Hang in there Zo!!!!!!!!!:)

Bern Baby Be
11-24-03, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by silverdsl
Well, your comment seems to indicate that you don't think it's a big deal that he needs a kidney transplant because hey, we all have two, right? Perhaps you just weren't aware of the details of his illness. In any event, any time there's a disease that involves the kidneys it's serious business. I know someone who had to have a kidney transplant because neither of their kidneys functioned correctly and even after a transplant that doesn't mean that things will be fine. That transplanted kidney may only last ten years or even shorter.

I hope they're able to find a kidney that's a match for Mourning.

-Deborah

Thanks. You said it better than I could.

Rich
11-24-03, 02:36 PM
I don't see how my asking about 2 kidneys as in whether taking out a kidney was an option is in any way miniziming an illness or trying to act like it's not a big deal. Maybe some people need to not be so touchy when someone asks a legitimate question.

I don't think your question was inappropriate.

My concern is that he isn't given any special consideration over the average person on the waiting list for a new kidney.

silverdsl
11-24-03, 04:12 PM
I don't see how my asking about 2 kidneys as in whether taking out a kidney was an option is in any way miniziming an illness or trying to act like it's not a big deal. Maybe some people need to not be so touchy when someone asks a legitimate question. It's all about the way you phrase things, which in this case left things open to be interpreted as a comment rather than a question.

-Deborah

wexy
11-24-03, 04:41 PM
We can all learn about this at the National Kidney Foundation

www.kidney.org

PettittesPrincess
11-24-03, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Rich

My concern is that he isn't given any special consideration over the average person on the waiting list for a new kidney.

So true.

PettittesPrincess
11-24-03, 05:28 PM
It's all about the way you phrase things, which in this case left things open to be interpreted as a comment rather than a question.

-Deborah

But making your own interpretation that I don't care or an trivializing someone's disease from my comments is a stretch..,

btw, thanks for the link wexy.

pacewon
11-24-03, 10:05 PM
First off to PettittesPrincess, I totally understand you and think the people jumping on your back misinterpreted your serious (and legitimate) question.

From a personal side, I've never been a big fan of Zo since those Knicks/Heat rivalry days when my boys always eliminated him from the playoffs :) but this is terrible terrible news and I wish him the very best on his way to recovery :(

On a basketball note (and my intentions are not to downplay this horrible break that Zo got but) I said that the Nets signing him over the offseason was a horrible move. Wasn't there some kind of sign that with all the trouble he had he would have even more kidney problems in the future?

Rich
11-24-03, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by pacewon
First off to PettittesPrincess, I totally understand you and think the people jumping on your back misinterpreted your serious (and legitimate) question.

From a personal side, I've never been a big fan of Zo since those Knicks/Heat rivalry days when my boys always eliminated him from the playoffs :) but this is terrible terrible news and I wish him the very best on his way to recovery :(

On a basketball note (and my intentions are not to downplay this horrible break that Zo got but) I said that the Nets signing him over the offseason was a horrible move. Wasn't there some kind of sign that with all the trouble he had he would have even more kidney problems in the future?

I agree with all of your points.

yankeegeek
11-25-03, 12:55 AM

I liked the signing and still do. He could have been a serious threat inside. The Nets run a difficult offense. Zo was just starting to understand it and apply it to his overall game. The ironic thing is that Zo played his best game as a Net on Saturday. In 16 minutes he scored 15 points and was great on the defensive side. From what I hear he had nothing left in the middle of the 4th quarter Saturday. He was drained. Byron Scott started the season playing him for 21 minutes a game. The last 5 he was averageing just 16 minutes a game. It was clear he was sick I guess.

pacewon
11-25-03, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by yankeegeek
I liked the signing and still do. He could have been a serious threat inside. The Nets run a difficult offense. Zo was just starting to understand it and apply it to his overall game. The ironic thing is that Zo played his best game as a Net on Saturday. In 16 minutes he scored 15 points and was great on the defensive side. From what I hear he had nothing left in the middle of the 4th quarter Saturday. He was drained. Byron Scott started the season playing him for 21 minutes a game. The last 5 he was averageing just 16 minutes a game. It was clear he was sick I guess.

I can understand you, as a Nets fan, liking the signing assuming he would be healthy. But there had to be some kind of major concern on your behalf that Zo, with all this past history of kidney problems, would at some point once again be hampered by this terrible problem he has.

Yanks4eva1
11-25-03, 06:05 AM
I'm so sad for Alonzo Mourning. I wish him and his family all the best.

Obviously, Pettitte's Princess is ignorant about kidney disease and its effects on the body. It's always best to be cognizant that there are people on this site who are sensitive to comments, especially if they or someone they are close to may have a similar ailment, situation, problem etc. I don't think you'd make the same comments if someone lost or has medical problems with one of their eyes, legs, feet etc. just because there are two of them.

Although I believe your comments were based on a lack of knowledge, kidney problems are serious business. Here's a site that can educate you, PP.

http://www.kidney.org/

Dee

Bern Baby Be
11-25-03, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Yanks4eva1
...Obviously, Pettitte's Princess is ignorant about kidney disease and its effects on the body. It's always best to be cognizant that there are people on this site who are sensitive to comments, especially if they or someone they are close to may have a similar ailment, situation, problem etc. I don't think you'd make the same comments if someone lost or has medical problems with one of their eyes, legs, feet etc. just because there are two of them.

Although I believe your comments were based on a lack of knowledge, kidney problems are serious business. Here's a site that can educate you, PP.

Dee

I'm sorry but, I have a lot of trouble believing that. I have seen Pettitte's Princess's posts about different things and can tell she's an intelligent woman with well thought out opinions. I don't agree with them but,that's another story. So, I just don't understand how a person as smart as she is doesn't know that we have two kidneys and that it's possible that both wouldn't work.

yankeegeek
11-25-03, 08:29 AM

I can understand you, as a Nets fan, liking the signing assuming he would be healthy. But there had to be some kind of major concern on your behalf that Zo, with all this past history of kidney problems, would at some point once again be hampered by this terrible problem he has.

Pacewon- I was concerned about his long term health. I figured that if we got two years out of Zo that would be a steal at 23 Million over four seasons. The best thing about signing Zo was that we got Kidd to stay.

Rememeber that Zo could still come back. Sean Eliot from the Spurs did. He had a kidney transplant and 7 months later was back on the court. If Zo could have the transplant and come back that would be amazing. It would be amazing, but I am not counting on it.

PettittesPrincess
11-25-03, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Bern Baby Be

I'm sorry but, I have a lot of trouble believing that. I have seen Pettitte's Princess's posts about different things and can tell she's an intelligent woman with well thought out opinions. I don't agree with them but,that's another story. So, I just don't understand how a person as smart as she is doesn't know that we have two kidneys and that it's possible that both wouldn't work.

Which is why I was asking that until you flipped out. But that's ok...

PettittesPrincess
11-25-03, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Yanks4eva1
I'm so sad for Alonzo Mourning. I wish him and his family all the best.

Obviously, Pettitte's Princess is ignorant about kidney disease and its effects on the body. It's always best to be cognizant that there are people on this site who are sensitive to comments, especially if they or someone they are close to may have a similar ailment, situation, problem etc. I don't think you'd make the same comments if someone lost or has medical problems with one of their eyes, legs, feet etc. just because there are two of them.

Dee

Thanks for the link. I was just asking a question, that only a few people bothered to help me out on with links and such. I am very unfamiliar with Alonzo's disease and I'm sorry for asking a legitimate question. I realize there are people who are sensitive to many things on here but that doesn't mean they should react irrationally. Don't worry I wont ask what I thought was a legitimate question again.

silverdsl
11-25-03, 01:03 PM
PP, don't call other users here irrational. If you can comment on Mourning's illness then other people can respond to your comment.

Can we possibly keep this thread on topic from here on out so that it doesn't have to be closed? Thanks.

-Deborah

PettittesPrincess
11-25-03, 01:06 PM
PP, don't call other users here irrational. If you can comment on Mourning's illness then other people can respond to your comment.

Can we possibly keep this thread on topic from here on out so that it doesn't have to be closed? Thanks.

-Deborah

As I should be able to defend myself.

It would be awesome if he could make a recovery like Elliot did, but that doesn't seem likely.

sanfranciscojetergirl
11-25-03, 02:27 PM
First, I would like to thank Wexy and Dee for posting the web site. I have really learned alot about what Zo has.

Bern Baby Be
11-25-03, 02:48 PM

-Deborah

If she thinks I'm irrational that's her prerogative. It doesn't bother me.

Yanks4eva1
11-26-03, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the link. I was just asking a question, that only a few people bothered to help me out on with links and such. I am very unfamiliar with Alonzo's disease and I'm sorry for asking a legitimate question.

You're welcome, PP. When you look at Alonzo, isn't it hard to believe that he has a life-threatening illness? He looks so strong and healthy. It's really so unbelievable how an athlete of his caliber can deteriorate physically like that...But his life is more important than playing the game...

Dee

yankeegeek
11-26-03, 09:36 AM
Well it looks like my boys are useing this as a ralling type of theme. They seem to be rallying around Zo. They put a hurtin on Seattle last night to the tune of 70-93. Kidd has a triple double, his third of the season. Than there was Kenyon, 27 points and 14 boards. They came out at the start of the third quarter and just fral out played Nets basketball. Great defense and fast-break ya till ya drop.