PDA

View Full Version : Fleury Enters Substance Abuse Program

Lefty Gomez
02-28-01, 09:02 PM
This just in! Fleury is out indefinitely while entering a substance abuse program, but no details have been released. Just what the Rangers needed. Here's hoping he gets the help he needs and cleans up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news/ap/20010228/ap-rangersfleury.html

silverdsl
02-28-01, 09:13 PM
Put a fork in 'em, they're done. Call me a pessimist but between losing Richter and losing Fleury I can't see the Rangers making the playoffs.

Gotta wonder what's up with substance abuse and the Rangers. First Kevin Stevens last year, now Fleury. Stevens was able to turn things around for himself hopefully Fleury can too.

-Deborah

Stick Michael
02-28-01, 09:25 PM
Just when the Rangers looked like they hit rock bottom they manage fall even lower by losing two of their most tradable commodities (Mike Richter and Theo Fleury) before the deadline. Ouch.

This has been the season from hell. After playing respectable hockey for the first two months they went into their usual tailspin and were never able to recover. They sometimes gave us reason to hope by going on minor winning streaks against bad teams but our playoff fate was officially sealed this week when we played three good teams (Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Ottawa) and got zero points to show for it. To add 'injury to insult' Mike Richter was lost for the season, and possibly his career as a Ranger, at the worst of all possible times.

As for Theo, well, I wish him well in his effort to combat substance abuse. He played hard for us all year and had a good season to show for it. But really, let's be honest here...if you were on the Rangers wouldn't you want to drink heavily, too?!?

All this Rangers talk leaves me with just one thing left to say:

33 DAYS TIL OPENING DAY!

James

orangemom
02-28-01, 10:22 PM
This hurts! I just hope that he can get the help he needs. It is my opinion that the NHL has the only decent substance abuse program in major league sports. No suspensions and slaps on the wrist. They keep paying these guys so that their families can survive, and make them get help, REAL help. I hope it works for him.

MrJack
02-28-01, 10:40 PM
I'm a Ranger hater, but I hope this guy is able to confront his demons and get well.

Danmel
03-01-01, 02:54 PM
Yeah Jack, you'd think the Islanders would be on drugs (got to be pretty depressing around there) But seriously, I hope Fleury gets the help he needs and recovers.

allybear
03-01-01, 10:24 PM
I thought Fleury was addicted to being the best player on a bad team! :lol:

Seriously, I hope he does get through his problems. And, this is a huge blow to any hope the Rangers had of getting to the playoffs!