PDA

View Full Version : BCS question for you..........

Buckeye Yank
10-21-03, 01:50 PM
Are there any self-proclaimed BCS experts out there? I'm curious how the USC Trojans ended up at #7??? I'm sitting here looking at the numbers in the USA Today and it just doesn't make sense to me. It seems like a couple of the lower polls really scew the numbers. And what is the "Schedule rank" number equate to???

:enraged:

PettittesPrincess
10-21-03, 01:54 PM
I don't know.. but they still suck.:lol:

Buckeye Yank
10-21-03, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by PettittesPrincess
I don't know.. but they still suck.:lol:
LMAO......you're so sweet to me. Hmm...I was looking for the Wildcats.....oh, here they are. Listed just below Duke!!!! :P

PettittesPrincess
10-21-03, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye Yank

LMAO......you're so sweet to me. Hmm...I was looking for the Wildcats.....oh, here they are. Listed just below Duke!!!! :P

that hurts Bill, it really hurts. :lol:

Buckeye Yank
10-21-03, 02:26 PM

that hurts Bill, it really hurts. :lol:

The truth always does!!! ;)

PettittesPrincess
10-21-03, 02:28 PM

The truth always does!!! ;)

:(

Buckeye Yank
10-21-03, 02:35 PM

:(

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......I'm sorry!

PettittesPrincess
10-21-03, 02:37 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......I'm sorry!

sure whatever!

YanksRockMan
10-21-03, 06:38 PM
People say the BCS has east-coast bias...well....east coast bias my ass...

It is a formulated machine, there is no bias in machines unless if you take the extra steps to program it, which I doubt the NCAA and BCS really wouldn't take the next step to program a bias. OK, USC has a great team, but their schedule is fairly week. They don't really play the powerhouses of the league (not many top-25 teams on their schedule) but they did play Notre Dame (well, they aren't that good this year either.) I agree wholeheartedly that the OU Sooners should be up top. They completely anihilated the longhorns in the Red River Shootout at the Cotton Bowl two weeks ago, and won fairly easily this past week against a fairly good team.

If there were any bias what-so-ever, you would see a school that is horrible like Penn State this year make a Bowl Game. Sure, they can turn it around, but the best one they could get would probably be one of the bowls (VERY little sponsorship money) before the blue-gray games. I'm surprised that the Seminoles are in the top 10, but that is just my idea.

Basically, the BCS is based on points, and it is how the person behind the computer adds is how it basically turns out as. According to the Billingsley Report, they list the Trojans as #5. This is where I would put them. The BCS hasn't been exactly termed "reliable," especially when you look at last year's Jan 3. game. OK, now to the Southern Cal BCS disaster:

They obviously cannot be placed as one or two, since they already lost a game already. This list basically are rankings compiled by around 6 different polls throughout the country (New York Times, Billingsley Report...etc..). It looks as if Southern Cal was killed by the Anderson & Hester poll, which put them at #11. That obviously is flawed a lot. With ONLY one loss, which is compared with the other college football teams in the country, schedule rank becomese key for the computer to decide. I cannot figure out HOW in the world the University of Georgia Bulldawgs are ranked 4 in the country, with them having an easier schedule. The easiest thing that could happen is for Southern Cal to go to #6, and hopefully Georgia falls to 7 because of their schedule weakness. I might take this back though, the only two tough games they've really had were against #6 (then) Auburn..well...actually that's the only one. They have another top-25 team they will play, but it will be the Washington State Huskies.

The BCS has always been flawed. The only game USC has lost was against a fairly tough, but not an overpowering team in Cal, who is not a top-25 school, but I believe they were in the beginning in the season. However, the BCS computerized system will automatically read that Southern Cal has lost a game to a non top-25 school, so they gained SOME points there (notice, in the BCS they score like the golf scoreboard...the less points you have, the better).

In a perfect world, the BCS would be done away with, but the NCAA board I guess thinks this is the easier and lazier way to rank teams officially. What a disgrace...

(As you can see, I LOVE talking college football...my favorite sport to watch!)

rock
10-24-03, 11:33 PM
Teams #4-7 were very close this week. What is strange is that you have to root for your opponents to do well to help raise your schedule ranking (to lower the points) and lower your computer average for a higher ranking. So an Ohio St fan would have to root for Michigan to keep winning until they play each other.

Coney36
10-25-03, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by rock
What is strange is that you have to root for your opponents to do well to help raise your schedule ranking (to lower the points) and lower your computer average for a higher ranking. So an Ohio St fan would have to root for Michigan to keep winning until they play each other.

Well, actually, BCS or not, you have to root for your opponents to do well sometimes to help you out. Case in point - last week most Michigan fans were rooting for Purdue to beat Wisconsin and Ohio State to beat Iowa, which they both did. Now the ball's in our court and as long as we beat Purdue today and OSU and MSU, we win the Big Ten. :)